• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
I really dont get the bullet sponge impressions since you do so much damage by just using mods

Like fully upgrade the shotgun form by just using damage augments, and use headshot augments on grip, nothing resists more than 2 shots top. And lets not even talk about pierce lol

Can also grab rockets / grenades sent to you and throw them back, it one shots

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This game feels like a post-Half Life early 2000s era shooter that I loved back in the day with massive coat of fresh paint plus a few modern trappings. Getting lost in the Oldest House with all the weird shit going on is fucking amazing.

It does have this distinct Half Life vibe, I guess due to all of the concrete and maintenance corridors but also a sort of stillness to the facility. They hit a really good tone here.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So I have question regarding the game.
I love the weird/interesting atmosphere I have seen from the trailers, but it does feel like there seems to be some scary/horror elements along with it? How much horror element is there in the game? In terms of scary looking stuff/creatures and jump scare, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
So I have question regarding the game.
I love the weird/interesting atmosphere I have seen from the trailers, but it does feel like there seems to be some scary/horror elements along with it? How much horror element is there in the game? In terms of scary looking stuff/creatures and jump scare, etc.

It's creepy, with amazing atmosphere. But not real horror in the jump scare sense. Or so tense you're afraid to turn the a corner. Though I get the sense shit gets real weird later on...

Neilan

Oct 25, 2017
Santa Monica
I literally can't get Control to detect my freaking Xbox Elite Controller, despite it working just fine in other EGS games, and I'm about to lose my mind.

Oct 27, 2017
So is this closer to QB in terms of storytelling/action, or is it closer to AW?

There's a lot more action than I remember from AW, and much less overt storytelling than QB had. So, neither? But if you were to pick one I'd pick AW due to Controls really heavy atmospheric/environmental feeling. (I also get some Prey vibes).

It's extremely cool so far.

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing nonstop for like 7 hours now. Might be my game of the year. It hits everything for me. Cool premise, dope art direction, fun and responsive combat, great combat feedback, nice horror-isch and surrealistic elements.

It's like it was made for me

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
I started this last night and just about stopped after getting telekenisis powers and
fighting that first floating boss

Have to say this games story and atmosphere immediately gripped me.
It's wonderfully creepy and surreal with really impressive graphics engine backing that up through lighting and particle effects. The physics engine as well is just absurd!

The voice acting for all characters is well realised so far and I love the amount of lore the game offers on the Bureau of Control/Astral Plane/Hiss.

The shooting mechanics feel extremely refined as does the telekinisis (like forgiving the player launching objects through walls near them)
Performance has been fine for me on PS4 Pro with slight slow down when throwing explosives at large enemy groups so far. This stutter lasted only second and didn't impact overall experience at all.

Super excited to obviously play more, this is perfectly killing my recent game drought I've been in!

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the horror discussion

Mild spoiler for a mid to late game optional area with a jump scare. If you've beat the game or experienced a jump scare you're probably good to read but it might kinda spoil the one truly scary moment i found in the game. if you're unsure I wouldn't look because it's a truly amazing moment to experience when you don't see it coming!

am I the only one who experienced the moment with that secret room up in central research where you go to the radio in the corner of the room, turn around and suddenly the room is ENTIRELY filled with mold hosts? That is one of the fucking scariest things I have experienced in recent memory lmao. I literally shouted and jumped out of my seat and instantly went to try and pause. i thought that moment was AMAZINGLY well done

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I love how hard they lean into the weird-fiction/sci-fi stuff in the lore. It reminds me a lot of Fringe, only more esoteric and strange.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
This fucking game.

Played for about 4 hours straight yesterday and it is on my mind. I want to get back to it immediately. The worldbuilding is nuts, I love the mysteries surrounding Jesse, The Oldest House, main story arc etc. Also, this is straight-up Secure. Contain. Protect stuff. Which is fine because I love that stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
This fucking game.

Played for about 4 hours straight yesterday and it is on my mind. I want to get back to it immediately. The worldbuilding is nuts, I love the mysteries surrounding Jesse, The Oldest House, main story arc etc. Also, this is straight-up Secure. Contain. Protect stuff. Which is fine because I love that stuff.

yeah it's basically SCP the game, the way the bureau works and SCP works is quite similar

which also basically means this game is fucking AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE there's so many cool moments and SO MUCH weird stuff, i love it

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how hard they lean into the weird-fiction/sci-fi stuff in the lore. It reminds me a lot of Fringe, only more esoteric and strange.
haven't seen much Fringe but totally. it's great. I kept thinking about Lost and the Dharma Initiative. Especially those orientation films vs Darling's films

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The astral dive suit felt out of place at first, but the harder sci-fi look starts to really feel appropriate with the bizarre ongoings.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I adore this already, the art direction is supreme. It's hard to know what's coming next. It's Fringe and Dharma and Dark Horror and Cosmic Entities and Alan Wake and Quantum Break all rolled into one.

Rocking everything on medium with RTX on (2060) and I have been stunned by the reflections, lighting and physics.

I need a FBC patch, pin and mug, immediately.

Got a bit cheesed off with the first Tomassi fight. Died quite a few times, felt like my health got destroyed way too quickly.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Putting this here so I can read it later...

vSYgI3Q.jpg
Lmao, did the same thing.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Controldemo_Screenshot_2019.08.14_-_18.14.14.73.png

Controldemo_Screenshot_2019.08.15_-_18.05.47.20.png

some pc shots, max settings with RTX. god i love the fucking mood and atmosphere of this game

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018
let's get some replies going in the thread

trust that I am replying to everything that I can give a reply to - there's some stuff we are still working out and we'll be talking about that as soon as we can!

This game desperately needs a photo mode. Any plans to add it?
hell yes we are working on it right now

Anyway to have multiple save files? Wife wants to play.
one save only, sorry!

Are the background voices from the hiss subtitled?, I see an option for it but they keep talking and I don't see it. Hopefully its something wrong that I'm doing since I really want to know what the hell they are saying.
some of 'em. when you
go down the stairs from the central executive hub and jesse says 'there it is again. the welcome message' you get subtitles on what tomassi is saying and what the rest of the voices are repeating. he talks for about... a couple of minutes, I think? and then the rest of them repeat it with a bit of a delay, kind of like the frere jacques song that's sung in rounds. I stood there listening and reading the subtitles and creeping myself out last night.

how do you beat the first boss?
here's how I do it
hide behind one of the pillars and shoot him once, he dodges, then start shooting him again when he's charging up to throw stuff, hide behind the pillar when he throws stuff. he throws it twice per attack. kill the ground boys when they appear.

How do I get around all this purple shit on the floor? I want to get to an item at the back of the room, but I die if I try to go through it.
hehehe well
you find a way later in the game

I looked it up and saw about the yellow block things. I swear I didnt hear any kind of tutorial for it. most likely just missed when they explained it maybe

Thanks!
there should be
a big lad that spawns and comes out of the lift once you've put all the yellow block things into their sockets

Seems like they were really struggling/stressed out while working on this game and and now reliefed that it got good reception from critics. And sadly probably crunching like hell considering the smaller team and budget.

Now hoping it's also a financial success as well.
thank you!! we weren't crunching, though.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Really enjoying this. It's so refreshing to play a well written single player game with a great plot and fantastic gameplay.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
let's get some replies going in the thread

trust that I am replying to everything that I can give a reply to - there's some stuff we are still working out and we'll be talking about that as soon as we can!

hell yes we are working on it right now

one save only, sorry!

some of 'em. when you
go down the stairs from the central executive hub and jesse says 'there it is again. the welcome message' you get subtitles on what tomassi is saying and what the rest of the voices are repeating. he talks for about... a couple of minutes, I think? and then the rest of them repeat it with a bit of a delay, kind of like the frere jacques song that's sung in rounds. I stood there listening and reading the subtitles and creeping myself out last night.

here's how I do it
hide behind one of the pillars and shoot him once, he dodges, then start shooting him again when he's charging up to throw stuff, hide behind the pillar when he throws stuff. he throws it twice per attack. kill the ground boys when they appear.

hehehe well
you find a way later in the game

there should be
a big lad that spawns and comes out of the lift once you've put all the yellow block things into their sockets

thank you!! we weren't crunching, though.
I asked you before release, the same to the other 3 community managers, and was ignored at each turn despite the thread being 3 pages at that point and the responses being made around the question in each case.

Will this game see a patch for HDR?

I don't see why one of the four managers asked couldn't have just replied once saying "I'd love to give you a straight answer but I can't at the moment" if that's the case instead of just blanking someone evidently excited for the game asking so they know which console to buy the game for before the midnight release.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between this, Remnant, and presumably Gears 5 shortly, been a good month or so for TPS games (and they all play pretty differently from each other).

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
HAve to say "Control" is a mighty inconvenient title if you're searching for something specific online.

Looking for that rad t-shirt with the red triangle but to no avail. Also can't find anything about a soundtrack.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
yeah it's basically SCP the game, the way the bureau works and SCP works is quite similar

which also basically means this game is fucking AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE there's so many cool moments and SO MUCH weird stuff, i love it

Yup how I feel as well. Only 5 missions in, but taking a knee in every room looking for secrets and collectables. They've nailed a lot about the Foundation can tell a bunch of people who worked on this love SCP a lot. Although the FBC seems to like to use staff and agents to test anomalies. Seems like a way to lose a bunch of staff.

Only thing I would have liked more so far is if they put more entities into the game. Place should be crawling with crazy things after a site wide containment breach.

I am loving the REDACTED stuff on documents :)

It is fun to use. They could have made it ████ ████████████████ and then used █████████████, but I think it's still cool.

Last edited:

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
Love this game. Played an hour or 3 or so. Engrossing! Been a while since I played a game in which I read every document and watch every video, etc...

Only blemish is the performance, it's rock solid 95% of the time but when it dips, it dips REAL hard for a second or 2. Usually during explosions with tons of debris, ragdolls and particle effects. Understandable considering how absolutely mind blowingingly impressive the physics engine is, but too bad nonetheless. Here's hoping for a patch! (PS4 Pro btw)

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I asked you before release, the same to the other 3 community managers, and was ignored at each turn despite the thread being 3 pages at that point and the responses being made around the question in each case.

I don't see why someone couldn't have just replied once saying "can't discuss this at the moment" if that's the case instead of just blanking someone literally asking so they know which console to buy the game for before the midnight release.
it's very very doubtful imo. pretty sure they would have to either do some fake tone mapping thing from SDR or totally redesign northlight

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
it's very very doubtful imo. pretty sure they would have to either do some fake tone mapping thing from SDR or totally redesign northlight
I agree, just would have liked some response to it even if it amounts to a shrug or a no. Game is stunning and whereas before I was contemplating between the Pro and the X, now I'm considering double dipping on the X for a second play-through after I'm done. In both instances the possibility of HDR down the line influences it greatly.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Absolutely engrossed in this. Style and gameplay are both top notch. Had to abandon using headphones while playing in the dark last night - the constant babbling from the Hiss coming from all directions was legitimately getting to me. Creepy shit.

Runs smooth as butter on high settings (sans RTX unfortunately...) on my gaming laptop.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Game is creepy. Played it just now in the pitch dark in my room and kinda regret it lol. The constant babbling and the music ain't helping lol. So far I am digging it but I hope there isn't any jump scares. I do not handle horror elements well lol.

vidaisonline

Community Manager at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Feb 2, 2018

I don't see why one of the four managers asked couldn't have just replied once saying "I'd love to give you a straight answer but I can't at the moment" if that's the case instead of just blanking someone evidently excited for the game asking so they know which console to buy the game for before the midnight release.
hey pal

there's only two community managers in this thread. myself and PadPoet. Thomas Puha is the communications director at remedy, so much more than a community manager :D

since you seem pretty up to date on hdr stuff and our game, I'm sure you've seen this tweet already!

like I said at the very beginning of my comment - I am replying to everything that I can reply to, aka everything that I have an answer for. when it comes to hdr I can't give a straight answer yet, and that's why I've not replied. trust that nobody's ignoring you. we read everything, we see everything and take it back to the team and discuss it. just because we don't reply to everyone doesn't mean we don't see you.

and thanks so much for being excited for the game, it honestly means a lot. I just ask for your patience, when we can talk about stuff like this, we will. we want to be as open with everyone as we can.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I wish the game were longer and had more enemy variety but that was quite a ride! I need to clean up some side quests now and I kinda regret marathoning it in one sitting but it just sucked me in. The collectibles definitely provide a lot of the legwork when it comes to world-building and story. If you just blazed through without watching any of the videos or reading any of the collectibles you wouldn't get a whole lot out of it, that's for sure.

EDIT: Doing all the main missions and a few side missions took me about 9 hours.

Last edited:

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone knows if the Bureau Alerts are saved when i leave the Game. Are they still active when i get back in or do I have to do them when they appear?

Nov 20, 2017
Anyone else getting a Dead Space vibe from this? The tone of an empty creepy facility and the kinesis ability being similar to the launch ability.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Man these people are busy. If they didn't answer you I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

fierrotlepou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wondering how this looks on PS4 pro. Either I buy this on the PS4 pro or I play it in a few months on an Xbox One X...

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Does the PS4 Pro get loud with this game?
The fan issue is getting more and more important for me...

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
ccohwCV.jpg
If you aren't convinced on this game yet but are kinda into the whole SCP aspect, read this letter, it hits every single note.