• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe the state this is in on the base PS4. It really is damn near unplayable at times with the performance regularly leading to deaths in the more complex enemy encounters.

It's such a bummer because I'm absolutely loving everything else about the game. I really hope they can do something to fix performance but it's just insane that it shipped this way.

Damn! This might be the first game I skip buying because of performance issues. Everything else seems right in my sweet spot.
Did remedy not bother to optimize the game to base consoles? i never had major problems with other major releases.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
t55ZNNI.gif

This is exactly what I came into this thread for. Thank you! Looks incredible, but I think I'm gonna hold off until I have an RTX card. Can't believe I'm saying that as a GTX 1080 owner.

Oct 25, 2017
Played a little more than 3 hours. They did warn us that it would be a little weird, but I was still not expecting THIS weird, hahaha.

I'm loving it, sooo much detail and world building, I've stopped right after Emily got the Cafeteria open. I guess this place is Firelink Shrine for this game, already got a shortcut back to the Director's Room.

It's funny how, on the surface, this game resembles Quantum Break the most out of any Remedy game. But the moment you start actually playing and interacting with that world, it instantly gives you that "yep, this is a Remedy game" feel that I didn't quite get with Quantum Break. It feels so much like Alan Wake, but in the best possible way, it doesn't feel like a rehash at all.

I'm a bit reluctant of praising it too much because I also really liked the first hour or two of Quantum Break and ended up really disliking the game, but I can at least say that the first few hours of Control definitely got me excited to play some more tomorrow.

The chest opening animation feels so good.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
No wonder this thing has performance problems on base consoles, the environmental destruction is insane, its like FEAR on steroids. I was impressed when I shot the wood paneling off walls and was tearing chunks of concrete off the floor. I'm playing on a One X and I still got a few hitches when I was tossing stuff around during a fight.The shooting is tight and the combat has been fun so far, although the enemies do hit pretty hard.

I'm just so smitten by the atmosphere and the world design. The documents almost always contain something interesting so I'm compelled to go out of my way to find them, and I love the little touches like Jesse's picture slowly popping everywhere after a certain event early on. The Remedy hallmarks like weird TV shows are in here as well and I love that both Max Payne and Alan Wake's voice actors have prominent roles.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Anyone encountered a problem where a cleanse the control point doesn't show? I have tried fast travelling away and returning, but nothing . Killed everything in the room too

edit - restart your game worked

Last edited:

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Seems like the texture pop-in thing is on the PC too, running everything at max at 1440p on my 2070s and this is what doodads in rooms look like sometimes (the picture on the wall - enlarge picture to see):
vkgUrGw.jpg

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like the texture pop-in thing is on the PC too, running everything at max at 1440p on my 2070s and this is what doodads in rooms look like sometimes (the picture on the wall - enlarge picture to see):
vkgUrGw.jpg
Lowered my texture resolution a few times and eventually it stopped for me when I got to Medium. Fortunately in my case their medium textures at 1080p aren't visually much different then the higher settings.

I reserve the right to retract this statement in a few hours if it starts happening again.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a spoiler thread yet? I'm so eager to talk spoilers. But I've seen people openly spoiling one of the main revelations, which is super not cool.

For people that have finished the game or have already read the spoilery text log people have been passing around:

WARNING MAJOR SPOILER!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT A MAJOR TWIST OF THE GAME SPOILED
I'm referring to the revelation that Control and Alan Wake are a part of the same world and that the game has some elements of being a "sequel" to Alan Wake, as well as the strong suggestions that all of Remedy's other games take place in the same world, or are parallel/branching universes in Control's world (the references to altered world events in Quantum Break, the discussion of the story of a cop that Dylan mentions in one of his dreams seeming to refer to Max Payne). I would hate for that amazing revelation to be spoiled because when I got to the point where they start dropping Alan Wake content thick and fast my mind was so blown.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious about its performance. Please update when you have some free time.
Ok! So....

I'm still fairly early but I'm a couple of hours in. The game holds up until you get psychic powers and then you can see the issues

It's bad, but at least so far it's not as bad as I was expecting. I find some satisfaction in frame drops when it's just like so much chaos that the game is tearing itself apart, anytime theres a bunch of explosions and whatever the game turns into a motion blurred mess but it's kinda cool?

Like it's definitely not good (it's bad) but seeing as the game is just combat arenas and all of the psychic throwing stuff is lock-on it isn't the worst thing in the world

I was really worried when impressions first came out, and yeah it's a bummer but for now I'm glad I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tiring just because that's all there really is to the combat

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly what I came into this thread for. Thank you! Looks incredible, but I think I'm gonna hold off until I have an RTX card. Can't believe I'm saying that as a GTX 1080 owner.
To be clear, I'm not playing with RTX on, and they do some crazy non-RTX lighting. My gameplay looks identical to the above. The physics are the same (as that's not RTX related).

Edit: Also, to speak to some performance concerns, I play at 1080p on a i5 8670k and a GTX 1070 (Non-TI). At medium settings I'm getting about an average of 80+ FPS, with drops to 60s. Thats while streaming using OBS to capture the whole display.
Low settings also look fine, and I might even push it to high if it stays above 60 while in combat. The game looks amazing at medium, too.

grmltr

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the state this is in on the base PS4. It really is damn near unplayable at times with the performance regularly leading to deaths in the more complex enemy encounters.

It's such a bummer because I'm absolutely loving everything else about the game. I really hope they can do something to fix performance but it's just insane that it shipped this way.
It's ridiculous that it is even sold in this state. Remove it from stores or make it a pro/1x exclusive.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
As someone who knows that this is a game, and I think it's by Remedy, is there a reason for a House of Leaves reference in the title?

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Played for about an hour and a half on PC so far. The story is really not doing anything for me. It's really weird and I have no idea what's going on.

The gameplay is pretty good, but it does feel very similar to Quantum Break (which I wasn't a fan of) so I'm kinda mixed on this so far. I do like the open nature of the environments; it sorta feels like exploring the police station in Resident Evil 2 (while lacking the atmosphere).

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
quick first impressions: it feels very much like a remedy game, and i already really like it. the story and atmosphere are pretty interesting, but i must say, dont seem as gripping to me as both alan wake and quantum break were. maybe thats at least partially due to the weaker, limited settings? i'm also finding the combat to be not as engaging as QBs was, despite the obvious similarities. i do expect at least this opinion to change as new powers are unlocked though - still, nothing beats jack's quick dash into slo-mo and capturing people in a globe of still time only and unloading a full clip into that sphere only to have all the bullets hit at the same time. good, but doesnt seem likely to reach the height of their past titles.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
The destructible environments coupled with RTX lighting definitely make it feel like a next generation game at times.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
One quick purchase related question first... Did anyone else preorder the XBox physical from Amazon and if so, did you get your bonus content code yet? I know they usually take awhile sending out codes the day of release but it has never been this long. So far nothing yet on my end.

Just played for almost 90 minutes give or take.
There is a reason I pick up any Remedy game on Day 1 sight unseen since I first played Max Payne all those years ago now.
They just make great fucking games.
Quantum Break may have been a slight misstep in the eyes of some of the gaming community (although I do not agree), but over and over they continue to prove that they create and execute atmosphere like no one else. Their worlds just immediately suck me in.
Simply put, whenever I see written by Sam Lake, I know I am in for some bonkers ass story that I am going to absolutely and utterly enjoy.
Nevermind the fact they have gunplay down to a sweet science ever since the first 2 Max Payne games.

Also one other quick observation... While it may not be a traditional horror game it no doubt has a creepy tension filled vibe. To me the best horror is not what you do see and hear outright but what you think you may see or hear. So while it is not a horror game outright and I would not label it as such, it no doubt has a very creepy and tense underlying vibe to everything.

Based on what I have played, which granted is not a whole lot but I usually can tell within 90 minutes if I am going to enjoy a game or not. So unless it completely shits the bed somehow and totally falls off the rails, it is already a strong contender of GOTY for me. I thus far adore everything about it.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
To be clear, I'm not playing with RTX on, and they do some crazy non-RTX lighting. My gameplay looks identical to the above. The physics are the same (as that's not RTX related).

Edit: Also, to speak to some performance concerns, I play at 1080p on a i5 8670k and a GTX 1070 (Non-TI). At medium settings I'm getting about an average of 80+ FPS, with drops to 60s. Thats while streaming using OBS to capture the whole display.
Low settings also look fine, and I might even push it to high if it stays above 60 while in combat. The game looks amazing at medium, too.

I believe Sunhi said he's running a 1060.

Wow, really impressive. I have an i7 5820k @ 4.8 ghz. I'm fine running it at 1080p if I can push the settings and retain good performance, but the RTX reflections look really nice from what I've seen. I guess I'll wait for a DF analysis of the RTX implementation before I decide. Gotta watch my spending and the Modern Warfare alpha already sold me on that game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I had a very light-touch on this game while I was working at Player Research.

EC-6alVXsAQPqsj

Still, very proud to be credited on this one, and among so many other fantastic people (I'm Jozef on the list). It seems to be a great game.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is my first AAA since Spider Man, last year, and I'm really enjoying it. Incredible environment work, and the battles are fast and fun so far.

It's also, like, SCP the Game, which is exactly what I goddamn wanted.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Congrats on the credit, experience, and work!

Cheers. My contribution really was tiny but it was good to be part of the team at Player Research. I've actually moved on from that work now, so it was just really pleasant to see my name in the credits here. I picked up a copy of the game and I'm having a very good time.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Lead Designer Paul Ehreth

Seems like they were really struggling/stressed out while working on this game and and now reliefed that it got good reception from critics. And sadly probably crunching like hell considering the smaller team and budget.

Now hoping it's also a financial success as well.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Last edited:

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Im still messing around in the office near the beginning and this physics system is seriously impressive. If you run into a desk, it shakes. I knocked a computer chair over and shot a wheel, the whole chair base spun around as a result. Just a couple of examples from quick experiments.

Seriously in awe at the interactivity with the environment.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Man, this game has me hooked and it has only been like an hour or so. Really digging the presentation and art direction. VO is really good as well.
It's like a lost x xfiles/fringe crossover. Those videos remind me of the Dharma Initiative.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This game is fucking awesome. Love the tone, sense of place, and the movement options in gameplay are dope.

One of my faves this year for sure. Feels like next gen just arrived.

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like they were really struggling/stressed out while working on this game and and now reliefed that it got good reception from critics. And sadly probably crunching like hell considering the smaller team and budget.
There was a study about Finnish game devs recently which concluded that there's very little crunching on a whole (compared to the situation worldwide). And according to Remedy at least, all overtime with Control was discussed and paid accordingly.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Really liking the game, but I'm not in love with the health regen system. It doesn't make much sense to me. You're a bit of a glass cannon in this game and the only way to get back health you lost is to rush into enemies and pick up shards. Rush into the enemies that you're actively trying to avoid. That seems counter intuitive to me.

I think a health potion system or simple regen system would have been a better fit.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I hope I don't start some console war but...

PS4 Pro? Xbox one X? Either?

I assume both are the same, but I'm still somewhat new to consoles. Just want to know if performance better on one or if they are the same.