• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking how much it reminds me of Prey. Except for the whole supernatural twist, the premise is very similar, even the things you do in both games, plot-wise.

yeah, I felt the same!

Putting into very basic terms, in both you are the boss of this strange Metroidvania setting where the staff has been possessed by some higher power, and you are trying to get all the systems of the place in order, navigating through interconnected area. And the atmosphere is kinda similar too

Of course, they are also VERY different, but in the first few hours I'm loving Control for similar reasons of why I loved the beginning of Prey as well

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
Man, they nailed the cutscenes. Finally some good ones, its been a while. Really good game so far, didnt expect that at all after QB (which i had big technical problems with). This time everything seems polished to the end.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know where I can get different outfits? Currently at the Research Lab area, around 4-5 hours into the game.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Played a couple of hours and here's some thoughts so far:

The game has a pretty rough first impression when it comes to gameplay, without your powers and that first boss is just annoying, I just hid behind two pillars and kept shooting at the guy. Took me a bunch of frustrating tries, it's really weird you popout of crouch the moment you shoot but don't crouch down automatically.

Acting and characters are pretty great so far, only met Emily and the Janitor so far.

This is clearly designed for controller because the keyboard controls don't much sense, controller made the game way more fun for me.

The notes and reports you find are pretty great, love those office notes.

Everyone's head is about 20% a bit too big for some reason. The Janitor especially looks so weird with his huge head and tiny arms but huge hands.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'm not liking is that the sprint feels....off somehow. Like certain ground trips it up and it doesn't ramp up as fast as it should or something.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
So the people who said this game is short aka 6-8hours can just go away. Game is filled eith sidequests, collectables all over the place and optional bosses. The amount of complaining about how this is not worth 60usd in the previous threads were baffling. Dont listen to youtubers people they dont take their time with games.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm up to a mission called Threshold. I feel like I'm about halfway through, what would those who have got this far/finished the game say? Am I around half way? How much longer of the game do I have?

Mission Spoilers: It's the one where you have to get more black prisms.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
t55ZNNI.gif

This is the game on medium?

Damn the particle effects are insane.
I hope a 1070 can push this on high 1080p

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason I too did not expect this to be a full priced game. I was somehow under the impression that this was more like a mid-budget, smaller game, and would be priced less. Guess I was wrong. Gamespot review says it takes 15h to finish the game.

Last edited:

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I felt the same!

Putting into very basic terms, in both you are the boss of this strange Metroidvania setting where the staff has been possessed by some higher power, and you are trying to get all the systems of the place in order, navigating through interconnected area. And the atmosphere is kinda similar too

Of course, they are also VERY different, but in the first few hours I'm loving Control for similar reasons of why I loved the beginning of Prey as well
This just sold me on the game. I loved prey. Didn't realize this was also sort of metroidvania based. Good.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered (I checked a few pages and didn't see it), but is there any particular reason it would say unavailable on the EGS launcher when I go to my library? When I look at it in the store it shows owned.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I felt the same!

Oh God. To compare this game to Prey? FUCK IM IN.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Goddammit.. The performance on my base ps4 is really ruining my enjoyment of this game

Deleted member 34881

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Sorry if this has been answered (I checked a few pages and didn't see it), but is there any particular reason it would say unavailable on the EGS launcher when I go to my library? When I look at it in the store it shows owned.
This happened to me earlier but I exited and checked the game page and went back to library and it had the install option randomly

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Oh God. To compare this game to Prey? FUCK IM IN.

This just sold me on the game. I loved prey. Didn't realize this was also sort of metroidvania based. Good.

I'm about 5 hours in, and while it is definitely a Metroidvania, I must say it doesn't feel as interconnected or as well designed as Prey (but I don't think any other 3D Metroidvania is)

Not as much room for improvisation on approaching scenarios too, but It's not really what is going for either. Maybe an even better comparison to the design is that is something between Prey and Arkham Asylum.

Last edited:

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 5 hours in, and while it is definitely a Metroidvania, I must say it doesn't feel as interconnected or as well designed as Prey (but I don't think any other 3D Metroidvania is)

Not as much room for improvisation on approaching scenarios too, but It's not really what is going for either. Maybe an even better comparison to the design is Arkham Asylum, Metroidvania, but a little contained

Right, I took your statement as the atmosphere and storytelling.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Question first hour into it, does the gunplay get any better so far it's pretty boring. Also does this game start to make more sense as it goes on I'm so confused

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just started playing. Immediately recognized scientist guy's voice as the guy who plays Alan Wake.

Felt good to hear him again. :)

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
Question first hour into it, does the gunplay get any better so far it's pretty boring. Also does this game start to make more sense as it goes on I'm so confused

The gunplay gets better once you start having to use it in concert with the powers and the enemies start forcing you to move around a bit.

For me it got a lot more satisfying once I realized you're pretty free to run and gun and don't actually have to use the over-the-shoulder aiming very often.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
yeah, I felt the same!

I'm sorry, did you say.....PREY!!!? It's one of the best games this gen. Guess if Xbox One X performance comes out good in Dark1x comparison, I'll be buying.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
So about going to places you're not supposed to yet. I went down the hole/shaft that Alex died in during the Giant Bomb QL.

I encountered weird mold people that almost killed me in one shot. I guess I'm supposed to come back later? I'm in the Research level, but I can access a bunch of other places as well. Is it worth going there now, or should I wait for the main quest?

The main quest won't actually take you there!

The whole mold storyline with the scientist down there is a sidequest separate from the main plot. The ranged mold monsters do a lot of damage pretty much no matter what, in my experience.

I'm actually not sure if you can complete that entire storyline without first getting all the powers? You can certainly do some of it now and then come back later..

Also, re: costumes, you can only change them I believe at the "main" control point in Central Executive or whatever it's called. You'll find a couple on sidequests but it took a good chunk of the game before I ever got any.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Loving how Metroidvania this gets after the opening hours. This game is fucking crazy. The story/lore is so cool. Digging the mix of occult and sci-fi elements.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
yeah you can change outfits at control points, i think he's just talking about how he's played for a few hours but hasn't unlocked any.

Ah. Ok.

Yeah how many are in the game and how varied are they? I do have the two deluxe edition ones. From what I can tell in the thumbnails they just look like palette swaps more than costume changes?

OriginalJonty

Editor at TheSixthAxis
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Woah woah woah woah they're going with the Old Gods of Asgard name for their Control music?

That's kind of major, isn't it? This puts it in the Alan Wake universe for sure, beyond the realm of "this could just be an easter egg".

There are documents in the game that confirm Control and Alan Wake are in the same universe, with the Bureau having a special interest in Alan