• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
The game will definitely be awesome, my only doubt is if my 2060 overclocked will run it at 60fps with RTX on at 2560×1080p

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It's bank holiday here in the UK and I'm typing this message in my pyjamas. I will try and get an answer from you tomorrow morning when I communicate this to the Brand manager at 505 Games. Game should unlock on the 27th of August. Unlock time should be based upon your region if I'm not mistaken.

Thomas Puha can maybe assist further on this.
Enjoying the sun? Perfect breeze coming through here on the south coast.

Cheers for popping in on the BH to interact. Do you know offhand whether HDR is something to be expected as a patch down the line or it's just something not included? Or even if there isn't an official position on it yet.

Doesn't affect whether I'll get the game, but I'd rather hold off on diving in if HDR is coming soon considering the stellar art direction.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
£8.50 more for the season pass, exclusives and themes is making this one of the more difficult 'Pro or X' decisions. The game looks stunning so the X was my initial choice but the comparable value prop on the Pro is making me sweat.

Oct 25, 2017
With Astral Chain coming out so soon, I think this solidifies my decision to wait a bit on Control. Hopefully patches clear this up.

This is one of those things where I'm being real about the drops but also don't want to give the impression it's defining my experience, I'm having a blast with the game, I think for folks that love focused single player games or Remedy in general, this is a winner and the why in regards to the drops is important too, the physics and destruction is wild.

It is a bummer and does have an impact on combat though. Quite significantly at times, on base PS4. I understand why someone on the fence with other options might hang back a bit and wait on patches.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
My copy arrived Saturday and I've been playing through. I don't know how far through I am, but I just got
level 5 clearance and am heading to Black Rock Quarry
. It's really fun. And I love the style of the game, its setting and its various mysteries are super cool.

Performance on base PS4 has been sketchy at times, though. Freezing for 5-10 seconds after every main story mission completes, and massive hits to framerate when in the middle of explosive fights. Sometimes the map doesn't want to load itself either, so you can only see text and not the rooms. Outside of those it's been fine.

I wonder if the performance issues can be fixed with a day one patch?

I am waiting on the reviews before getting the digital deluxe version (PS4).

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Has it ever been a problem with reviewers spoiling endings?

There are always problems about reviewers spoiling the game too much.

No, you must be confused because there are two embargos. The first one is up in 1h30m and it's the general review embargo. There's another embargo that lasts until the 30th asking us not to reveal details of the ending.

That's exactly what i mean. Someone was asking about that extentes/second embargo.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very excited for this. Hadn't played QB because..you know. But this going to be great.
No reviews though, that's bad.

Deleted member 14649

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are a thing on every console(during some combat scenarios). The Game makes heavy use of destructible elements, physics, volumetric lighting, alpha effects....i dont think there is another Game that pushes all of this so heavily (and in combination).

Yeah, I can't see there being a version that doesn't have a few dropped frames, as the utter chaos at times is mind-blowing. As good destructible environments as I can remember seeing really.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
This is on track to be my GOTY.

Do we know anything about the expansions? When to expect them? I didn't even know there was going to be DLC until about a week ago.

Haikira

Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ireland
Anyone playing on PS4 Pro? Are the framerate drops a thing on Pro as well?

I've been playing on the pro. Performance is pretty consistently good, but there are some problematic areas. Normally areas that aren't too surprising, due to the large npc counts, debris, etc. Sometimes the destruction can cause a momentary bit of chugging, then it'll go back to being fine.

You'll probably want to wait for the likes of digital foundry for a quality opinion, but as someone who's pretty sensitive, I've been dealing OK. There's the odd rough dip, but for the majority of the time the game plays just fine.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
This is on track to be my GOTY.

Do we know anything about the expansions? When to expect them? I didn't even know there was going to be DLC until about a week ago.
Nothing, except for the first expansion releasing earlier (whenever that is) on PS4, as long as you've bought the most expensive Deluxe Edition. The time difference between that launch and the others is also unknown, could be a week or a month.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There will be a DLC expansion? Never read about that, where was that mentioned?
Yes, the digital deluxe includes the season pass. First expansion will be released on PS4 first.

See:
Control-Xbox-One-PC-versions.jpg

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Whatever these expansions are, I hope they add a substantial reason to play the game multiple times: challenges, score attack modes... Something beyond what I've been reading of, basically, all content being completed in 15/20 hours at most. Curious to see an action game with no difficulty options, either.

PS: Good OT, and glad to see so much interest for this.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the only games that score highly are ones that conform to this imaginary checklist lmao

What a shoddy excuse

I don't know if Control will review well or not, but there's definitely a pattern of games that are a bit different reviewing more poorly than many people believe they deserve to be, especially if they don't have much hype going in. Control is more of a metroidvania by all accounts, slow paced, weird, and difficult -- and this isn't the kind of thing we see a ton of in the AAA space

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Really looking forward to this. I'll have my copy today. I guess I'll wait for Digital Foundry to outline the 1X enhancements, kind of disappointing that those haven't been illuminated yet.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
So I did not reallt followed this game since it was announced, but now I see that it seems to be some kind of trippy unsettling scary stuff and see a lot of mentions of SCP so my interest was immediately raised, probably gonna pick this up if it's good. I can't find any reviews, is the embargo not lifted yet? Are there some returns already about the game? If this really a trippy stuff a la SCP and the game is good I can see myself buying it today and play at midnight :)

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if Control will review well or not, but there's definitely a pattern of games that are a bit different reviewing more poorly than many people believe they deserve to be, especially if they don't have much hype going in. Control is more of a metroidvania by all accounts, slow paced, weird, and difficult -- and this isn't the kind of thing we see a ton of in the AAA space

Yeah, pretty much. There's plenty of older games that were critically panned at the time of release only to be recognized later on.

So I did not reallt followed this game since it was announced, but now I see that it seems to be some kind of trippy unsettling scary stuff and see a lot of mentions of SCP so my interest was immediately raised, probably gonna pick this up if it's good. I can't find any reviews, is the embargo not lifted yet? Are there some returns already about the game? If this really a trippy stuff a la SCP and the game is good I can see myself buying it today and play at midnight :)

Embargo's up in 30 minutes!

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I haven't played a remedy game since Alan Wake so I am looking forward to this.

I preordered on Saturday off of Amazon, it will probably arrive last minute since I took so long to order it.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
My steelbook (Futurepak) edition arrived today. Can't wait to check it out tonight although I'm playing FF14 at the moment. It would be cool to finish it before Borderlands hits, but I'm sceptical I'll be able to do that.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT title. Waiting to see those reviews, hope this turns out well. It looks so cool.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not sure if you've seen it or not but the launch trailer is incredibly effective imo. Also the reviews should be up in just under 30m.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Nothing, except for the first expansion releasing earlier (whenever that is) on PS4, as long as you've bought the most expensive Deluxe Edition. The time difference between that launch and the others is also unknown, could be a week or a month.

Yeah, I knew that much, but thanks. Hope the exclusivity period isn't too long!

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, pretty much. There's plenty of older games that were critically panned at the time of release only to be recognized later on.

Embargo's up in 30 minutes!
Sweet, all the rest of the afternoon for me to read up and decide :)
Not sure if you've seen it or not but the launch trailer is incredibly effective imo. Also the reviews should be up in just under 30m.

I haven't because I wanted to just read reviews instead, but since they're 30 mins away, I'll watch it now

Edit : Yep, alright, I'm sold !

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding was that the embargo wasn't for another hour and 25 mins but I guess we'll see...