• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Check out this exclusive early WIP (work-in-progress) real-time ray tracing demo of Control on PC. Powered by GeForce RTX, part of the GDC 2019 showcase. In this video you can see examples of various real-time ray tracing techniques such as Ray Traced Indirect Diffuse, Ray Traced Indirect Specular and Ray Traced Contact Shadows.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This video is from August last year tho :P

(video above has been updated).

Glad someone finally put an actual mirror in a RTX game.

Last edited:

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
LoL, the description is from the latest trailer we just released. Probably Equanimity posted the old one by mistake.

Here you go:

Edit: No, the description is from that August released trailer. Sorry guys, I'm just so tired :P

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
LoL, the description is from the latest trailer we just released. Probably Equanimity posted the old one by mistake.

Here you go:

Edit: No, the description is from that August released trailer. Sorry guys, I'm just so tired :P

Are you guys releasing control in 2020 on ps5 and next Xbox as well with improved graphics ?? :p

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Here you go:

That looks awesome! The game is already quite the looker anyway but the ray-tracing just really brings it all together.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017

Here you go:

Really nice improvement. Everything is just more cohesively part of the scene with RTX on.

Can't wait for this.

Will RTX be supported at launch do you know?

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Very impressive, hope my 2080 can do it justice. Can definetly tell its a remedy game

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Remij RTX will be supported. 99% sure there will be support at launch, yes. Will confirm when I get to the office tomorrow morning.

I'm off to bed (GMT timezone here) and I'll try and reply back to everyones questions tomorrow. vidaisonline is attending GDC so she might pop-in with some answers to your questions.

Glad you all like the RTX footage. The lamp at the end is my favourite part by the way.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
mzLxIxx.gif

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Remij RTX will be supported. 99% sure there will be support at launch, yes. Will confirm when I get to the office tomorrow morning.

I'm off to bed (GMT timezone here) and I'll try and reply back to everyones questions tomorrow. vidaisonline is attending GDC so she might pop-in with some answers to your questions.

Glad you all like the RTX footage. The lamp at the end is my favourite part by the way.
Thanks for the response.

Yes, the game is looking great. I loved the lamp part at the end as well... the dynamic shadows and everything looks amazing.

Have a good night :)

Nov 2, 2017
I loved the ray tracing in Metro. Changed the atmosphere of the interiors especially. Can't wait to play Control with rtx on. Last scene with the lamp looked gorgeous.

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see another rtx title.

Day 1 one Pc for me. My 2080ti is hungry.

Oct 25, 2017
This video was actually really good to showcase the game, too. I'm really impressed by the game's general feel and tone, the area title card looks and sounds great, very impactful.

Every video I've seen of this game was just people talking over pieces of gameplay, so just having her walking on a hallway and the area title dropping gave me a much better feel of what it's like to play Control moment to moment than the other videos I've watched.

Super excited for the game now.

Oct 25, 2017
That makes it hard to wait for 7nm NV cards. Suppose the upside is that I'll let to play something of a remaster on my 3080 Ti or whatever it's called.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Looks very good but the amount of power to do it properly, is it worth it?
I'm sure they'll have different setting levels. Also, with all the physics and destruction and objects flying around in this game, it's going to look incredible during hectic fights. I bet some of the powers that Jesse gets are going to look spectacular.

Quantum Break was absolutely insane at times with the effects work. I expect this game to be no different.. and with RT and those reflections and shadows, I can just imagine.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
The gap between PC and consoles next gen is going to feel huge unless these pack some ray tracing ready graphics cards. It's going to be specially hard for Sony since this gen was able to claim that most best looking games this gen were all their exclusives. That's not gonna happen this next time around.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope 2080Ti will be able to run it with RTX at 60fps in some decent resolution. Control is one of the few day 1 buys for me this year.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This is the one RTX-enabled game I'm really looking forward to playing.

The ray-traced diffuse/specular lighting and contact shadows look fantastic in this trailer.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I'm getting the feeling that the visual impact of RTX is similar to HDR. For some it's a game changer, for others is barely noticeable.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really interesting to see how performance with RTX on stacks up. Quantum Break which doesn't have RTX is still really demanding.

Nov 23, 2017
I'm getting the feeling that the visual impact of RTX is similar to HDR. For some it's a game changer, for others is barely noticeable.
That is because not all tvs or monitors are the same nor is the configuration same. RTX is not comparable even remotely. When it means the difference between reflections looking like Half Life 2's since 2005 and reflections looking like real life, in the entire rendered scene, there is not a subjective or questionable difference.

Looks very good but the amount of power to do it properly, is it worth it?
You could say this about literally graphical technology in the past 15 years, and none of these are even as transformative as ray tracing will be. It's THAT much of a difference in rendering.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
That is because not all tvs or monitors are the same nor is the configuration same. RTX is not comparable even remotely. When it means the difference between reflections looking like Half Life 2's since 2005 and reflections looking like real life, in the entire rendered scene, there is not a subjective or questionable difference.
I'm sure it'll get there, but at the moment I feel games are very good at faking reflections and lighting, so the benefit isnt apparently noticeable. Saying that this is the first major lighting tech improvement since 2005, whilst technically might be true, it is visually false. Remake2/metro exodus minus rtx doesn't look like hl2..

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it'll get there, but at the moment I feel games are very good at faking reflections and lighting, so the benefit isnt apparently noticeable. Saying that this is the first major lighting tech improvement since 2005, whilst technically might be true, it is visually false. Remake2/metro exodus minus rtx doesn't look like hl2..

That's why we need more scenes like the lamp gif being showcased here. Because while games are good at faking lighting and reflections in static scenes, the difference is extremely apparent when the elements become dynamic.

Baked GI in 3D environments is pretty much at the point where pre-rendered backgrounds were by the time of the REmake, in the sense that we could reach really high levels of quality (even photorealism in some cases) but we have to sacrifice a lot of interactivity in the process.

Thanks! We had a longer take of playing around the with the light in that room...I'll try to get that clip online too :)

I'll definitely be looking forward to it. Great work, congrats!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the general Nvidia thread - this game looks like it was made for people who enjoyed playing Mass Effect 2/3 as an adept and I am 100% for that.