• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first pickup since days gone came out. Coming from someone who usually gets 2-3 games a month, its been a while.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
This game looks incredible! What is wrong with my internet surfing techniques that I know practically nothing about it, lol

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, and that was a really fantastic trailer, but man I can't get over how annoyed I am at the mess that is the versions of the game and exclusive content bullshit.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I really want to be excited for this, and that was a really fantastic trailer, but man I can't get over how annoyed I am at the mess that is the versions of the game and exclusive content bullshit.
It's pretty simple: if you buy the most expensive digital version on PS4 (72-80€) you get an additional side quest and Early Access to the first expansion, of which we barely know anything. For any other option, including the standard edition on PS4, you get the base game plus an extra skin. As for the expansions, you have to wait until the Season Pass becomes available, probably at a time when Control itself has already plumetted in price.

The "exclusive" edition to me is more like an "exclusive" way to get almost the same but pay much more. I'm buying this on day one for 47€, and I seriously doubt the Season Pass would cover the 30€ difference with the "Deluxe" edition.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty simple: if you buy the most expensive digital version on PS4 (72-80€) you get an additional side quest and Early Access to the first expansion, of which we barely know anything. For any other option, including the standard edition on PS4, you get the base game plus an extra skin. As for the expansions, you have to wait until the Season Pass becomes available, probably at a time when Control itself has already plumetted in price.

The "exclusive" edition to me is more like an "exclusive" way to get almost the same but pay much more. I'm buying this on day one for 47€, and I seriously doubt the Season Pass would cover the 30€ difference with the "Deluxe" edition.

that's kind of what I'm saying. The pricing is wack, there are far too many editions, I don't like the additional mission bullshit, etc. I'm just tired of that business model and thought we had mostly left that sort of thing behind last gen, where that sort of thing happened constantly.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
that's kind of what I'm saying. The pricing is wack, there are far too many editions, I don't like the additional mission bullshit, etc. I'm just tired of that business model and thought we had mostly left that sort of thing behind last gen, where that sort of thing happened constantly.
Oh, my point was that all that can easily be ignored. At least, that's what I'm trying to do. The expansions don't have a date yet, and the additional mission could be (and probably is) 15 minutes long, for all we know about the game structure, so I wouldn't think much about it.

Looking at the expensive edition, the only benefit I see is if you are for sure so certain that you're going to love this game, and for peace of mind, you want to pre-order now your access to the expansions. Otherwise, you can buy them when available or just play the main story and forget about any extra content until later.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, my point was that all that can easily be ignored. At least, that's what I'm trying to do. The expansions don't have a date yet, and the additional mission could be (and probably is) 15 minutes long, for all we know about the game structure, so I wouldn't think much about it.

Looking at the expensive edition, the only benefit I see is if you are for sure so certain that you're going to love this game, and for peace of mind, you want to pre-order now your access to the expansions. Otherwise, you can buy them when available or just play the main story and forget about any extra content until later.

Well yeah but at this point, I've got enough good games I can afford to be picky when devs are like this. There's no sense in me trying to get something like this at launch if I don't like how they're handling it. Like at some point you just gotta let yourself go "ya know what; they wanna make this complicated and have exclusive bullshit; I don't need to bother."

I'm sure that I could figure out a solution on PS4 but right now I don't like what they're doing. I don't like the exclusives, I don't like the pricing, I don't like the numerous versions. I don't think it makes for a good customer experience, and I think the exclusive nonsense and way expensive DLC pricing is bullshit and I'd rather not support it.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Well yeah but at this point, I've got enough good games I can afford to be picky when devs are like this. There's no sense in me trying to get something like this at launch if I don't like how they're handling it. Like at some point you just gotta let yourself go "ya know what; they wanna make this complicated and have exclusive bullshit; I don't need to bother."
It's understandable. I mean, it always comes down to choices. For example, I know I could buy Control in November when it's heavily discounted, but I want to enjoy it now that I have more time. I'm going to miss some content, yeah, but if the general experience is good, I'm good to enjoy it either way.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Cool trailer. I genuinely did not know this was an EGS exclusive on PC; I opened Steam and searched the store, and when I couldn't find it I was like 'wait, no way, could it be?' haha and yes it was.
(not a complaint or anything just sharing my reaction)

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
From an Italian editor:

I finished Control just before leaving for Gamescom. I can't anticipate anything concrete, I just say that Remedy has made a substantially perfect center. A historical team that returns to its maximum splendor, focusing on the strength of the script and on the dynamism of the gunfights.
For me it can be safely counted among the aspirants to the Game of the Year.

Maximum Splendor is its title now

God damn that was a great trailer. So close to Zelda though and I'm still working through Fire Emblem. Can I justify it?

Maximum Splendor!

I'm sure that I could figure out a solution on PS4 but right now I don't like what they're doing. I don't like the exclusives, I don't like the pricing, I don't like the numerous versions. I don't think it makes for a good customer experience, and I think the exclusive nonsense and way expensive DLC pricing is bullshit and I'd rather not support it.

I hear ya, but try not to overthink it. If the game is appealing to you, play it, if not, don't.

It doesn't have to be a convoluted process.

Also, Maximum Splendor.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Just buy the base game? DLC is usually crap. Unless the DLC is, like, an epilogue that could have an actual impact on the overall experience (as in, to experience the "true ending", you have to play this piece of DLC), there's really no need to miss out on some game just because there are a few more expensive editions with some extra crap in it. Buy the base game and if the DLC is worth a shit, buy that later if you still feel like you want more after playing the vanilla release.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just buy the base game? DLC is usually crap. Unless the DLC is, like, an epilogue that could have an actual impact on the overall experience (as in, to experience the "true ending", you have to play this piece of DLC), there's really no need to miss out on some game just because there are a few more expensive editions with some extra crap in it. Buy the base game and if the DLC is worth a shit, buy that later if you still feel like you want more after playing the vanilla release.

I mean, yeah I know I'm going to miss out on something could be cool, but you know what, I have a lot of other things that are cool. And it's meaningless for me to say I don't want to support something if I only ever don't support it when it's something I don't care about.

Regardless of how this micro scale will affect me and whether I'm harmed by not experiencing everything in the game, I don't like how they're handling it.

Plus, you're acting like I'm protesting the idea of DLC, which I'm not, and I'm not really sure how to be more clear about what I do mean.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, yeah I know I'm going to miss out on something could be cool, but you know what, I have a lot of other things that are cool. And it's meaningless for me to say I don't want to support something if I only ever don't support it when it's something I don't care about.

Regardless of how this micro scale will affect me and whether I'm harmed by not experiencing everything in the game, I don't like how they're handling it.

Plus, you're acting like I'm protesting the idea of DLC, which I'm not, and I'm not really sure how to be more clear about what I do mean.
I don't think you're protesting the idea of DLC. I think you're putting too much worth on some Day 1 DLC. Like, if you're interested in this game but then don't buy it because there are a couple of different kinds of releases that come with a season pass/DLC pack, that just sounds kind of silly to me if/when that DLC isn't anything all that meaningful. I'd understand it if this was some fighting game that had seven different versions, some of which were exclusive to particular retailers, all of which come with a different pre-order bonus character. That kind of stuff is off-putting. But this has the base release at retail with or without a steelbook case, base release on digital platforms (comes with a theme & avatar) and a digital deluxe edition that comes with all the DLC. That's it.

I don't really see much worth objecting to, here, certainly not to the point of not buying a game you'd otherwise be interested in. That's hardly confusing or the worst kind of Ubisoft-type "there's a special edition, collector's edition, deluxe edition, deluxe collector's edition, basic retail edition, Gamestop Edition, Amazon Edition, PS4 pre-order edition" debacle where you need a hundred-point spreadsheet to make sense of what DLC/extras comes with which edition & would need to buy 5 different editions if you wanted to have every piece of pre-order & day 1 DLC. It's literally just base game, digital base game with a couple of out-of-game extras and digital deluxe edition that is just the base game + season pass/DLC.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Got some new details thanks to Lucas from 505 Games! 30fps on both enhanced consoles and no HDR at launch.

Our friend Lucas did forward this feedback regarding a HDR implementation later on post launch...

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Man I wish PC games would still have demos, I wanna know if this runs on my old machine. It doesn't have to run well, but I'll never know ;_;

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Photomode would be awesome. Many things I've come across that I would love to take a photo of but I want to make the character disappear (if possible), haha.

Glad to hear it's coming later. Might save that if I were to do another playthrough or if i double dip on PC. I could put many hours into that feature alone!