• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you give Control a chance?

• I pre-ordered it/bought day one/full price.

Votes: 631 24.6%
  • I've bought it with a discount.

Votes: 647 25.2%
  • I plan to buy it when the price feels right.

Votes: 599 23.4%
  • I will play it if/when it comes to a service like gamepass.

Votes: 361 14.1%
  • I have no interest in the game.

Votes: 326 12.7%

• Total voters

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
My option isn't on this poll:

- I'd like to play it, but because base ps4 performance is garbage, and I can't justify buying a pro, I'm going to hold off indefinitely.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
Reading through this thread I really feel the poll needed a "I'll buy it when it isn't exclusive to EGS" option. Probably 20% of the replies fit into that. Steam/GOG are not 'services like gamepass' so I don't think that answer is appropriate and I didn't vote.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I thought it was fairly forgettable tbh. A fun time that I forgot in a couple weeks. Nowhere close to as good as most people say it is and to top it off I think in a year with games like Sekiro and Death Stranding I dont know how it was nominated for, let alone won, GotY awards.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
I'll get the full version on Steam when it gets discounted enough. I don't think Remedy games are worth full price, but they can be fun and this one should look amazing with ray tracing.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
Got a Plat on it, i feel like its very overrated, like a blander version of Infamous. Its a good game, but god damn I don't understand the hype haha. Not even close to Death Stranding or Sekiro for me for 2019. Defo recommend it, but you'll need to lower your expectations.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I loved every minute of it. I bought an unwanted GPU bundle code in the lead-up to release, but I have every intention of picking up the Steam version and playing through the game again once all of the DLC is out.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
Been holding out for it to come to gamepass but I really want to play it and I'll probably just buy it when it's on sale.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I will, anything that Remedy touches is gold. But I never buy games where timed exclusivity locks out other people from experiencing the same content because I don't want tu support such practices. And I urge everyone also to play Alan Wake and Quantum Break. Both are awesome, and Quantum Break gets so much hate for its TV show segments that people forget the game itself was actually a lot of fun. I'm sure it serves as an interesting comparison to Control.

So yes, I will buy the game once all DLC are released for all platforms.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
One of my favourite games of 2019 for sure. I have some gripes with it but overall it was fantastic. I'm hoping for a expac with more cool things.

My biggest disappoint is actually only getting to it after our Q&ERA with Remedy. It would have been great if I had played the games and had the time to mull it over so I can asking my random questions I guess.

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your poll is messed up SofNascimento because the game is on PSnow.

Anyway I got the game free from the publisher and played it for four or so hours. I liked it, didn't love it. Felt the controls (ironically) needed a little more work.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like a great game, but not so great that i'll play it before all the legendary games in my backlog.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a fantastic game and my game of last year!
I really hope the DLCs are great and we will get Control 2. Absolutely love Jessie too.

I wanted to buy it on Steam, but after it became on EGS exclusive i was very annoyed and instead preordered it on PS4.
After it came out i waited to play it since i heard about the performance issues. But then i bought a new PC in Fall and i really had to play it on PC to see what my RTX2080ti could do....So i admitted defeat and bought it again on EGS (which wasn't that bad, since it doesn't seem to use DRM and i could just start it through Steam etc. without even opening EGS)

So i paid double the full price and it was still worth every cent!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I really hope the DLCs are great and we will get Control 2. Absolutely love Jessie too.

Supposedly game sold decently enough for Remedy to make its investment back, but I doubt it sold so well that they would invest in sequel.

They didn't benefit from deal that publishers made with Epic.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
Supposedly game sold decently enough for Remedy to make its investment back, but I doubt it sold so well that they would invest in sequel.

They didn't benefit from deal that publishers made with Epic.
I also was disheartend by the lack of sales and feared for that, but awards and continued sales etc (Steam...) could go a long way, and the last stuff we heard from Remedy was actually giving me more hope.
For example stuff like this.
www.ign.com

Control: Remedy Devs Hint at Potential Further Content - IGN

Could we get more expansions or even a sequel? It seems Remedy is considering the possibilities for its new success story.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Best game of 2019 by a fair margin.

Remedy are an insanely underrated studio.

No sequel though please. Just keep expanding the Remedyverse.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Played through it back in January. Amazing game. Great atmosphere, the powers and abilities feel amazing, the worldbuilding is very deep and interesting... One of my favorites from last year, for sure. Had a lot of fun. Hopefully more people will give it a shot.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
control-1.jpg

When EA talks about how singleplayer games are dead, Control should be their prime example.

It's awesome in every way that counts. The combat is fun and the artstyle and narrative and beyond incredible. It has a lengthy 20+ hours-ish campaign and its sole focus is giving a complete singleplayer experience.

Yet it didn't sell as much as it should, not nearly enough I'm afraid. And I can't help but feel how much of a tragedy that is. We have one of the most awesome singleplayer games of the past decade and yet it was ignored by most people. Why? I don't know. Possibly lack of marketing or something similar. (certainly not technical issues since people will buy half finished games without a second though, just look at Fallen Orden. Not that I would call Control that, but I only played it on PC).

And replaying it again in anticipation for the first main DLC, I just can't help but to feel a little bit sad. Looking back, its 80-82 metacritic score is way too low. Indeed, there is even one review there that said its artstyle was bad and/or generic. Can you imagine that? It just one of those terrible fuckerys that shouldn't exist, and make me certain that opnions can be wrong. But I feel goty nominations, especially major ones like DICE and GDC, were much more just.

So its awesomeness was recgonzied, it just didn't sell well as it should. Although I'd like to think it sold enough. And word of mouth did it many favors (and will still help it).

Anyway, this is more of a rant than anything. I could create a comprehensive and systematic topic listing all of Control's main strengths, and maybe one day I will (I'd love, in particular, to talk about its fantastic narrative and world building), but right now I just wanted to say how much I love it and that I wished more people gave it a chance.

It also has the coolest scientist since Mordin Solus.

And the FBC is a great place to work.

Q5EnwXY.png

I checked.
Is there still PlayStation-exclusive content? I won't pay a single dollar for this game as long as it is the case. I'm a huge fan of Remedy's games (especially Alan Wake), David Lynch, and House of Leaves, so I'm sure this game is right up my alley. But I refuse to support this business practice. And knowing that it's a single player game (meaning I'm not missing out on a healthy multiplayer population or anything by not playing it now), I'm in no hurry to play it either.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Such an awesome game. I plan to return once all the DLCs are released.

Jesse McFaden was such a breath of fresh air for some reason. She's more memorable than any other new character I played in 2019.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I never finished my run. May jump back in after DOOM Eternal. Nothing on radar between that and HZD.

Edit: on PC publishers really fucked Remedy and Control hard by going to bed with Timmy.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
Quickly became my GOTY 2019. Loved the visuals; in fact I bought a goddamned RTX 2080 Ti just for this game. Loved audio design. And I quite liked the gameplay.

But what really sold me was its lore and story. They've created the most densely packed intriguing world for this game and I absolutely want more of it. In any way possible. I would instantly buy a book with nothing but Dead Letters.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
My GOTY 2019. It´s brilliant and Remedy`s best work since Max Payne 1, imo.
Bought it day one for Xbox, finished it and got all achievements, sold it, bought the PS4 version (currently playing) to have access to the Add Ons as soon as possible. And I´m going to triple dip when it`s out on Steam.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I found it to be very forgettable. It had a good atmosphere but the storytelling was lackluster and the abilities were very non-imaginative.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
I started playing right after launch, then quit, then I re-started last week precisely and loving it.

Any update on HDR potentially coming to XBX? Really weird it hasn't been patched into it yet...

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I will play it when it arrives on Steam and after I upgrade my PC since I want to play this with RTX.

I usually like Remedy games so I have no doubt I will like this too. I actually always thought that it looks amazing.

Senior Lurker

Nov 4, 2017
Also my GOTY. Brilliant game that also made me go and start Alan Wake (although I couldn't finish it because I kept dying to normal enemies).

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I bought it and it just wasn't my thing. I was so excited about it because I thought the setting and the psychic powers looked so cool, but it ended up being one of the most disappointing games for me. Everything about the game was just so underwhelming and boring. I have no desire to play it again and it really soured me on Remedy.

The strange thing about the boring story and dialog is that the game features the amazing Dr. Yoshimi side missions. Those are by far the best part of the game with really funny dialog. They were the only thing keeping me going for as long as I played it, which was through Chapter 6. I don't know if there was just another team writing those missions, but I have no clue how you can have such imaginative, fun, and hilarious missions and dialog in an otherwise bland and boring game. Give me more Dr. Yoshimi over Jesse's story any day.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm waiting for the digital deluxe edition to go on sale for $30-$40 before buying it. The game seems fun on its own but I'm more interested in that Alan Wake expansion.

May 15, 2019
Vaguely interested, but since I'd have to go sign up for an EGS account just to buy it it's never gonna be an impulse purchase until it's on Steam.

Hojaho

Mar 26, 2018
Since Remedy is shitting on the majority of the playerbase with bad performance, that's a big no.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
When it becomes available on Steam. Hopefully the 3000 GTX cards will come out by then.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I would like to play it, but the performance on base consoles isn't great, even after patches. So I'm either waiting for performance patches or I'll pass on the game.

donpureevil

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i started it yesterday (ps now trial) and can´t get into it at all. the presentation and physics are cool, but i really don´t like the combat.