• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The issue is that Control on game pass is now a thing Phil Spencer said out loud, so people are going to expect it now. Any chance of me buying this game just went away because I'm expecting to be able to play it as part of a product I bought.

I spent €87 on 26 months of GP (I quite regret doing that, the PC service sucks) and now I'm trying to avoid buying games that are likely to enter GP quickly so I can maximize the value I get out of it.
This is probably why Remedy put out a tweet directly contradicting Phil, now people are just going to wait for the official announcement of its coming to Game Pass instead of buying it now for full price.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda in a habit now with any game I'm not 100% sure on, I just think it will end up on Gamepass - it's a weird emotion when your on a monthly sub!

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Not actually. This was trending on r/Games and lots of places tweeted about (like Wario64). Of course, we're not talking about 1 million people who won't buy the game anymore. A sale is a sale.
Well that doesn't really convince me a significant amount of people know about this so we can agree to disagree there. The game will continue to sell poorly regardless.

TechJunk

Jan 17, 2019
The publisher 505 games already has a couple games on GamePass. I always thought Control was likely to make it as well. It seems to me certain publishers are really into GamePass whole others are completely against it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
why?.....didn't they think consequences for Remedy? I' mean this wasn't some random social media guy who makes a mistake. this was Phil Spencer.

They kill the holiday season of a GOTY candidate....

C'mon...

I'm sure this is stopping all them PS4 and PC only players from buying the game.

Oh wait.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How come the boss of Xbox can be so careless with the bottom line of its partners? Partners that the worked with closely for more than a decade too.

Baffling.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Why is people reacting on this as bad news for Remedy? 505 Games have already games on GP and Remedy is independent so Control is not doing great even without GP.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is people reacting on this as bad news for Remedy? 505 Games have already games on GP and Remedy is independent so Control is not doing great even without GP.
Remedy said they are in a good position with steady sales, so I'll take their word for it.

Control was developed in three years with a budget of less than €30 million," says Remedy CEO Tero Virtala. "We don't quite require the same huge lifetime numbers as many other games with bigger development budgets. Therefore, even though Control didn't have chart-topping sales right from the get go, we are in a good position with steady sales. We always take the long view here.

"Nowadays, the majority of sales for many games are generated over a long period of time in digital stores -- and Control continues to sell, which is good. We are bringing more free and paid content to the game. It has the proven high-quality and uniqueness, and the word-of-mouth that keeps growing. There is still a big audience out there that hasn't yet heard of Control. These are all factors that support the longer-term sales.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I suppose that's true to some degree, but there really isn't any damages at this point. It's very likely a deal was in place and will now need to be renegotiated or it simply won't come to GamePass (if 505 is being unreasonable about the magnitude of this mistake, which I think is likely given their adamant denial).

If Microsoft chooses to not go forward with an existing plan to put Control on GamePass, what is 505's arguement? That they lost hypothetical sales (from people who were already subscribed to GamePass or subscribed to GamePass today to play Control without a date being announced) for a game that hasn't sold well to this point for a couple of hours before 505 and Microsoft denied it was happening? What's the argument from the consumer side? You saw that Phil mentioned Control may be coming to GamePass, subscribed immediately (without a date getting announced), and feel you should be compensated for that month of GamePass?
Without even getting into hypotheticals, when these things are announced is part of the negotiation. There is little chance 505 would want this revealed before the new year. If Control is heading to GP, MS just violated their contract. If not, MS just damaged potential sales.

This is December, lots of games are sold, GOTY awards are handed out, Game Awards happen, etc, and Game Pass has millions of subscribers. There are, in fact, a lot of sales possibly on the line here, especially for an underperforming game that stands to benefit from renewed critical attention.

Like I said, this was a bad mistake that has very real consequences.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Without even getting into hypotheticals, when these things are announced is part of the negotiation. There is little chance 505 would want this revealed before the new year. If Control is heading to GP, MS just violated their contract. If not, MS just damaged potential sales.

This is December, lots of games are sold, GOTY awards are handed out, Game Awards happen, etc, and Game Pass has millions of subscribers. There are, in fact, a lot of sales possibly on the line here, especially for an underperforming game that stands to benefit from renewed critical attention.

Like I said, this was a bad mistake that has very real consequences.

Do you think this will actually have an effect on Xbox sales of the game? Digitally, it's currently $60 and just came off a sale. Xbox users that were likely to buy it would have been considering the $38 dollar digital price or various other physical sales of the game.

I understand Phil misstepping in talking about the deal and how that can be a bit of a pain but it's a game that commercially was already having a mediocre reception and a casual user isn't likely to see anything that's been said today. I can't imagine it's going to have that much of an impact in regards to sales on Xbox.

You mean just ps4 gamers. Game pass is also on PC.

We have no idea if the game is going to be included on Game Pass for PC.

Why are you donwplaying this?

Why are people acting like this is the end of the world? People make mistakes, 505 and Remedy are getting paid to have the game on Game Pass and everyone will forget about this in a month.

Jan 20, 2019
Do you think this will actually have an effect on Xbox sales of the game? Digitally, it's currently $60 and just came off a sale. Xbox users that were likely to buy it would have been considering the $38 dollar digital price or various other physical sales of the game.

I understand Phil misstepping in talking about the deal and how that can be a bit of a pain but it's a game that commercially was already having a mediocre reception and a casual user isn't likely to see anything that's been said today. I can't imagine it's going to have that much of an impact in regards to sales on Xbox.

We have no idea if the game is going to be included on Game Pass for PC.

Why are people acting like this is the end of the world? People make mistakes, 505 and Remedy are getting paid to have the game on Game Pass and everyone will forget about this in a month.

Because it has reall impact on the company Microsoft has a partnership? Cant you see that?

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Again, a critical darling (at least to some) stands to benefit a lot in December. And even if that wasn't the case, it's December, when a ton of games are sold.

MS screwed up, and it will hurt the game's sales. The degree will never be known, but it's not zero, and for a game that has underperformed already those sales matter.

That doesn't mean MS or Phil are monsters or anything of the sort; people make mistakes. This mistake has a financial cost (and if the game is coming to GP, probably a specific one), and I fully expect MS to make it right.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
why?.....didn't they think consequences for Remedy? I' mean this wasn't some random social media guy who makes a mistake. this was Phil Spencer.

They kill the holiday season of a GOTY candidate....

C'mon...
You really think the Head of Xbox ,in an extremely casual setting talking about his favorite games of the year, actively decided to sabotage a publisher's game with the forethought that it was the holiday/GOTY season and his comment about it coming to Game Pass would have even more of a negative effect on the games as a result??

That's a tin-foil hat conspiracy level take, and it's just plain wrong.

Dude made a mistake. Is it going to cost 505 and probably MS a bit? Sure, but mistakes happen.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paid $90 CAD at launch digitally and wouldn't regret it, it was a solid Remedy experience.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, first Phil Spencer is killing Xbox, and now he's also killing Remedy by saying Control is coming to gamepass which it clearly isn't, which is affecting holiday sales, which is hurting multiple platforms. This dude needs to resign ASAP

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Because it's insignificant and the concern in this thread exists because it's Xbox.

Again this will be completely forgotten in a month.
Don't do this.

A mistake was made, that mistake has consequences, MS will do what it needs to do to make it right. As the most valuable company in the world they can afford to take responsibility for their actions, and I frankly don't understand why anyone would think they shouldn't.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Again, a critical darling (at least to some) stands to benefit a lot in December. And even if that wasn't the case, it's December, when a ton of games are sold.

MS screwed up, and it will hurt the game's sales. The degree will never be known, but it's not zero, and for a game that has underperformed already those sales matter.

That doesn't mean MS or Phil are monsters or anything of the sort; people make mistakes. This mistake has a financial cost (and if the game is coming to GP, probably a specific one), and I fully expect MS to make it right.

It stands to benefit during sales, something it just came off of. The game struggled at $60 which is where it's currently at on the Xbox store. The fact it's coming to Game Pass doesn't change what PS4 owners are doing.

MS will absolutely be doing something to make up for it to maintain good will with 505 and Remedy but it's not the scorched Earth situation that has been discussed here.

Don't do this.

A mistake was made, that mistake has consequences, MS will do what it needs to do to make it right. As the most valuable company in the world they can afford to take responsibility for their actions, and I frankly don't understand why anyone would think they shouldn't.

I'm not saying they won't do something to make up for it. I'm saying the reaction in this thread is overblowing the situation.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It stands to benefit during sales, something it just came off of. The game struggled at $60 which is where it's currently at on the Xbox store. The fact it's coming to Game Pass doesn't change what PS4 owners are doing.

MS will absolutely be doing something to make up for it to maintain good will with 505 and Remedy but it's not the scorched Earth situation that has been discussed here.
They will do "something to make up for it" because they are financially liable for damages, full stop.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

um thats a prity hard to prove.

"repeat after me "we are in the vast minority"
most people will have never heard that statement from phil.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not saying they won't do something to make up for it. I'm saying the reaction in this thread is overblowing the situation.
That is certainly true for some posts, but saying there are no damages and MS would only make this right as a goodwill gesture is seriously downplaying the situation.

The truth, as usual, is in the middle.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It's that serious?
Anyway MS have all the resources in the world to make up for this. No need to make relationships worse with anybody
there is a equal chance Remady lets it slide. think of it this way, the last hit they had, sales wise, was the max pain games. at this point, they are a prostige studio, there games revew well, but never sell well. ms is one of the few companies that might give them money to make a new game.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's that serious?
Anyway MS have all the resources in the world to make up for this. No need to make relationships worse with anybody
Like I said before, if the game is coming to Game Pass, MS just violated their contract with 505. Yes, that's serious, and probably has a specific amount of damages associated with it.

If the game is not coming to Game Pass, MS is still liable for lost potential earnings, which is an issue I assume 505 and MS's legal teams will come to a mutual agreement on.

Shit like this happens, it'll be fine, but mistakes sometimes have consequences. MS is perfectly capable of living up to their responsibilities.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Yeah, this was a surprising silly mistake on Phil, I'm 99% convinced Control will be discounted in a Game Awards sale and the game won't be on Gamepass before that so, I can see a couple of phone calls right now but it's something Xbox and 505 have to sort out.

TrelKel

Dec 3, 2019
I think they will wait until after the awards show and then sometime after that announce it. It winning awards might strengthen sales somewhat.

Feb 26, 2018
Like I said before, if the game is coming to Game Pass, MS just violated their contract with 505. Yes, that's serious, and probably has a specific amount of damages associated with it.

If the game is not coming to Game Pass, MS is still liable for lost potential earnings, which is an issue I assume 505 and MS's legal teams will come to a mutual agreement on.

Shit like this happens, it'll be fine, but mistakes sometimes have consequences. MS is perfectly capable of living up to their responsibilities.
Thanks for the explanation.
Yeah interesting situation. Phil probably more careful from now on lmao

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to "prove" anything. The possibility is plenty in this situation.

Why would the idea of MS having to honor their contracts or partner agreements bother anyone?
wouldnt that depend on how it was written though? if ms was given the right to announce it, it might not be a violation. ether way its small potatoes for ms.