• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All we had was the base Xbox 1 when Quantum Break came out, a lot of them are probably using the Pro consoles now. It's a constant issue these days that seems to go under the radar. All the focus is on the Pro and 1X it's almost like the OG consoles don't exist when it reality it's what 90% of what people are actually playing on.
Very true. I personally play all multiplats on the 1x, but look for reviews from channels like ACG on YouTube. He's usually really good about detailing how good or bad each version of the game runs. Like you said though, problem is everyone is reviewing the PS4 pro version and straight neglecting to comment on the issues. It's fucked up bc people are going to purchase only knowing half the story

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Played on Pro for a while yesterday, a bit up past the first boss, and while there are drops it hasn't been too bad so far. The drops almost feel more like momentary pauses instead of frameskips. It's odd.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
As with every new release, it's worth waiting a few weeks for the inevitable price drops and patches. Sucks that early adopters are treated like unpaid beta testers, it's really disrespectful and does nothing for the dev's reputation.
Almost every third party AA+ game is like that this gen. Sometimes it is only console, sometimes it is only PC, sometimes only one specific platform, sometimes the brand of the CPU, or the brand of the GPU, and sometimes everythings combined.

Oct 25, 2017
Good theory. I also feel that by just playing FMV over the top of the game with alpha transparencies it means they always have to keep some space in the cache free to even do that, and it nukes any sort of adequate texture/LoD streaming.
Do you think this would take a lot of space? It does seem like the kind of thing that would be a little more taxing than most people would assume.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the usual day 1 fuckery. I will wait some months and play the finished product for half of the price...

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Do you think this would take a lot of space? It does seem like the kind of thing that would be a little more taxing than most people would assume.
Especially if the video is playing at full HD res. The physics framerate choke points are one thing, but the big giveaway is anything to do with menus and alpha transparency pop ups in game being fucked. FMV clips overlaid over TV's and projectors have large stutter, and I think they should have gone with SD to try and fix what seems like a big flaw.

The game freezing entirely for 5 seconds just because you finished a mission and get the little pop up boxes with what you've unlocked suggests something is rotten in Denmark with what they're trying to push through the 2D and GUI side of things.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Especially if the video is playing at full HD res. The physics framerate choke points are one thing, but the big giveaway is anything to do with menus and alpha transparency pop ups in game being fucked. FMV clips overlaid over TV's and projectors have large stutter, and I think they should have gone with SD to try and fix what seems like a big flaw.

The game freezing entirely for 5 seconds just because you finished a mission and get the little pop up boxes with what you've unlocked suggests something is rotten in Denmark with what they're trying to push through the 2D and GUI side of things.

I had these things in DX 12, its completely gone in DX 11 (i dont have a rtx card). Theres a lot of stuff not right in DX 12 if you dont run RTX or so it seems

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Noticed a few reviews mention some performance issues, nothing stopping the game being really good though but I'm in no rush to play this right now, so it should be patched by the time I pick it up.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Quantum break was on Xbox and not PS4. It's not always the case but the press tends to only highlight the good parts of games on PS. You'll notice they were only given review copies for PS4 and PC... downplaying how bad the game runs at times. Game sites will drag Xbox through the mud whenever they can lol, rarely commenting on the x running games better.
Lmao this post is something.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
So do we expect that there might be some patching? I want this game, but I can wait for a patch if necessary.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, this is honestly getting a bit old. Game reviewers need to do better. DF is pretty much the only outlet you can actually trust to tell you if something is broken these days.

I try my best to highlight issues on the platforms I play games on but actually testing every single platform is a massive separate thing itself. With five platforms right now (and more about to arrive), properly testing things across all of them extensively is a huge undertaking outside of the time required to put together a thorough review of the game itself. DF are awesome at the technical side of things, and it's why they've had such great success with it.

Nov 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
When you play the game it's obvious why the game runs like so poorly on base consoles, even good PCs are struggling with it. Sub 20fps under load isn't acceptable in 2019 though, desperately needs a patch. Honestly at this point we just need to move on to next gen, these base consoles are ancient now and holding everything back.

Yeah - I love this game but the performance is just crazy. I'm playing on a decent PC (6600k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB, NVME, 1080ti) and the only way I can maintain >= 60fps at all times with "ultra" settings is to render the game at 720p. Yes, 720p, not even 1080p. There are sections that will drop to the mid-30's if I leave the resolution at 1080p.

It's a great looking game, but damn if it's not resource intensive.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I really want to get this game, can't right now because I just bought a few more and I gotta finish those first. Hopefully by the time I'm done with them this will be patched at least on Pro, since I'm planning to get one this Black Friday.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it can be ironed out with updates, but I think they pretty rightly saw the physics-heavy environmental reactivity as integral to the feel of empowerment and the hit of your weapons and abilities. The comparisons to FEAR had me thinking about how that game ran when it came out, and I honestly can't remember if it did well on mid to low end PC's. I don't think it did.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The game has a wildly uneven frame-rate even on PC. I currently get everything from 100 fps in the most tranquil scenes, to 50 fps on fights with lots of enemies and particles.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game i've played this gen on consoles with such poor performance. Everything else has been either 60fps, uncapped above 30fps or at least a stable 30fp(with a couple games having some framepacing issues). I haven't experienced poor performance like this since the ps360 era.

I presume you never played Just Cause 3.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
My only issue from last night is completing a mission. I think it has to do with the game trying to load the next mission and the trophy popping at the same time. It acts like it freezes.

Other than that, I've had little to no framerate issue on my Pro. Maybe I am not too far in (Mission 3) or not as sensitive as other people? Game seems great!

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably the usual day 1 fuckery. I will wait some months and play the finished product for half of the price...
👆🏾 This right here. Been my mantra this whole gen lmao. Not to mention game pass has been good recently with throwing newer games in the mix. So glad I held off on buying devil may cry v. May do the same with control.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Shame to read about this. I got excited about the game after listening to Waypoint Radio, but my PC is getting too old for AAA new releases and I only have a base PS4, so I guess I'm shit out of luck for now. I'll be waiting for the PS5 to pick this up.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Game is perfectly playable on PS4 Pro, a couple dips here and there but recovers almost immediately.

Also helps that the game is pretty fucking amazing, can't stop playing.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Yeah - I love this game but the performance is just crazy. I'm playing on a decent PC (6600k @ 4.2ghz, 16GB, NVME, 1080ti) and the only way I can maintain >= 60fps at all times with "ultra" settings is to render the game at 720p. Yes, 720p, not even 1080p. There are sections that will drop to the mid-30's if I leave the resolution at 1080p.

It's a great looking game, but damn if it's not resource intensive.
The game still looks great even on the lower settings. Turn off global reflections and MSAA. Screen space reflections at medium, also leaving all the settings for shadows to low. The game will still look very good, especially if you play at the native res of your monitor.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I was waiting to see a virtual slideshow of choppy framerate on the second video. Maybe I'm just old school, but where is the performance degradation, exactly? Game looks totally playable and fun to me.
I think you misread what I was saying. The performance is pretty terrible when she's using her powers and a lot of particles are flying around. I honestly half expected it to crash to the PS4 dashboard. It looks totally fine outside of that, but I think you'd notice it when you were playing.

Nov 28, 2017
I still play on base PS4, launch edition, so I'm pushing this even further down on my wish list.
Probably until it's a PS+ game in October 2021 or something.
(or maybe on PS5 in early 21 if the launch games are scarce)

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Quantum break was on Xbox and not PS4. It's not always the case but the press tends to only highlight the good parts of games on PS. You'll notice they were only given review copies for PS4 and PC... downplaying how bad the game runs at times. Game sites will drag Xbox through the mud whenever they can lol, rarely commenting on the x running games better.

Ding ding!

Correct answer.

Oct 27, 2017
Never had any problems with Lost Legacy performance on base PS4.

The vast majority of games run just fine at 1080p, with a few slightly lower res, on base PS4. Just Cause 3 being a notable and glaring exception of this gen - it actually ran ok at launch but got steadily worse as it was patched.

Rebuilding the database periodically is recommended, but not saying it will resolve Control performance issues on PS4.

Comparing any game to Crysis carries implications that the game will be forever unoptimized, and people will struggle with it for years to come. I hope this isn't the case for Control.

Oct 25, 2017
Never had any problems with Lost Legacy performance on base PS4.

The vast majority of games run just fine at 1080p, with a few slightly lower res, on base PS4. Just Cause 3 being a notable and glaring exception of this gen - it actually ran ok at launch but got steadily worse as it was patched.

Rebuilding the database periodically is recommended, but not saying it will resolve Control performance issues on PS4.

Comparing any game to Crysis carries implications that the game will be forever unoptimized, and people will struggle with it for years to come. I hope this isn't the case for Control.
From my experience, it's definitely not. Most people can't get stable 60fps with Crysis 1 with a PC built today due to the CPU optimization that was betting on single core performance over a multi threaded future, but in Control I can already do it with my 2012 PC and 2017 GPU by lowering settings enough. An i3 2100 only becomes a bottleneck at 80fps, for example.

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, it's definitely not. Most people can't get stable 60fps with Crysis 1 with a PC built today due to the CPU optimization that was betting on single core performance over a multi threaded future, but in Control I can already do it with my 2012 PC and 2017 GPU by lowering settings enough. An i3 2100 only becomes a bottleneck at 80fps, for example.

That's good to know. I wonder how my old i5 2500k would fare with my 670. Maybe ok at lower settings and 30fps.

Anyways, this game is getting lots of positive word of mouth, so I hope we get some more clarity on the situation soon.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Well, if you look at the PC requirements and how it performs even on some pretty beefy CPU-GPU combos it's not that surprising that the base consoles struggle quite a bit.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Are these terrible performance issues like the ones people were whining about with Sekiro, because those turned out to be basically nothing.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
PC performance also has been pretty bad for most. Even graphics card that ran many console titles at 60 fps with ease are struggling to hit 30 fps. I feel that control is visually too ambitious. It looks true next gen with raytracing enabled on my PC.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've had maybe 2 blips in the middle of a gunfight and a bunch of random glitches such as guards stuck in t-pose and the map not loading, so perhaps these performance issues are bugs.

The game got a 5gb patch only 7 days ago, so they must have been down to the wire

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Perhaps watch the videos in the OP first before trying to handwave.
I did. Just like Sekiro had similar videos, but in reality amounted to just about nothing when I played it. Just like now I see people making a big deal about Control's issues and likewise a bunch of other people who say it isn't actually a big deal. So before paying full price for it I'm finding it hard to get a definitive consensus on how good or bad it actually is. As for handwaving, it's a legitimate concern when in the past the smallest issues have been blown way out of proportion. Not by everyone, but by a loud vocal few. For example Mario Kart 8 on Wii U was deemed "unplayable" by some due to a frame pacing issue. Ditto Bloodborne.

Case in point:

I've had maybe 2 blips in the middle of a gunfight and a bunch of random glitches such as guards stuck in t-pose and the map not loading, so perhaps these performance issues are bugs.

The game got a 5gb patch only 7 days ago, so they must have been down to the wire

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Before I downloaded the patch I was running 15-20 frames on standard PS4 during combat

After the patch maybe 20-30

Still enjoyed the crap out of it tho