• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Remedy just did a stream for AWE and unfortunately they utterly ignored the next gen update patch (in fact I think they didn't even mentioned the Ultimate Edition) but they did have some good news.

Alongside AWE there will be a free update for all owners of Control that will add:

- A new upgrade for Launch which allows Jesse to hold up to 3 objects.
- New soft checkpoints
- New control points closer to bosses and challenging areas
- Accessibility options

And this touches a lot of the criticism people had about the game. Like having to walk too much to a boss.

As examples of accessibility options it was mentioned Jesse doing more damage, taking less damage, her energy recharging faster and her gun as well. Which is something very welcome especially for people who struggled with Control fixed difficulty.

And by soft checkpoints I think they mean something that is already in some parts of the game, which is that when you die even though you return to a control point you don't have to redo all the fighting again. I expect more of those.

Also for those interested they announced a massive Art Book for Control.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Can you go into the art book more (I missed the stream)? Does it have a date or price? How big we talking?

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. I got all the way to the final boss and couldnt beat it and quit. Maybe now I will finish it and even buy some DLC.

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds great, this has pretty much sold me on the game. Don't know why it's like pulling teeth with some devs to just give your game an easy mode. This isn't Dark Souls.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Might actually revisit this game if I can adjust the combat difficulty. Really enjoyed everything about it other than that, though I hear if I kept playing you become a golden god anyway lol.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The QOL changes are super enticing as someone who has picked up and put down the game a couple times.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As examples of accessibility options it was mentioned Jesse doing more damage, taking less damage, her energy recharging faster and her gun as well. Which is something very welcome especially for people who struggled with Control fixed difficulty.

Oh good, I can finally beat fucking Tommasi now. Literally the only reason I don't have the platinum trophy.

Fuck Tommasi.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Oh interesting. I wonder how big a deal holding 3 objects will be. Love tossing things at a room full.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I love this trend of letting players tailor the experience without pointless trade-off restrictions. I was so happy when they described this in the stream.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Might actually revisit this game if I can adjust the combat difficulty. Really enjoyed everything about it other than that, though I hear if I kept playing you become a golden god anyway lol.

I'm not sure about a golden god but you can become a golden direction>

Control_20190830122634-1024x576.jpg

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Adding checkpoints is great. The dark souls like system imo added nothing to the gameplay

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I don't think you can adjust the difficulty in the game proper, but Mr. Tommasi is pretty easily cheesed for a post-end-game boss.

Just hang out in the rafters.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Oh good, I can finally beat fucking Tommasi now. Literally the only reason I don't have the platinum trophy.

Fuck Tommasi.
Agreed, I cheesed him and never looked back, fuck him

I fully support difficulty/accessibility options. The more people who get to experience the story and world of Control the better.

That said... I remain very proud that I didn't cheese Tommasi. It took a while, but damn was I really good at the game after that.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever say if the Playstation exclusive missions and costumes will be added to other versions as well? Or are they a part of the season pass?

The art book does have me interested as well.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I fully support difficulty/accessibility options. The more people who get to experience the story and world of Control the better.

That said... I remain very proud that I didn't cheese Tommasi. It took a while, but damn was I really good at the game after that.
What's good is that I don't remember what made it so hard (I seem to recall a shitton of spawns the boss made?), so when I replay this it will be again like the first time lol

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Will the game support Epic Achievements when the update hits? Would be nice.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
What's good is that I don't remember what made it so hard (I seem to recall a shitton of spawns the boss made?), so when I replay this it will be again like the first time lol

I think what makes this fight particularly difficulty is this guy:

hqdefault.jpg

It is invisible and has an attack that leaves Jesse with 1hp. You have to move around a lot in that boss fight.

Will the game support Epic Achievements when the update hits? Would be nice.

I'm afraid they didn't mention anything about it.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope one of the accessibility options is to change those flashing white light enemies that give me headaches

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Do the new options make a big impact with the difficulty? I wanted to like Control, I dug the setting and my friend really recommended it, but Jesse is made of wet tissue paper and for some reason on PC I was getting hit with three minute load times after every death. I had to put it down.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Art book looks really cool, but I might wait for a sale or a price drop.

Accessibility options are great. I never had any real troubles with the difficulty in the game, but more people being able to experience the weirdness is always a good thing.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Do the new options make a big impact with the difficulty? I wanted to like Control, I dug the setting and my friend really recommended it, but Jesse is made of wet tissue paper and for some reason on PC I was getting hit with three minute load times after every death. I had to put it down.

They mentioned the ability to make Jesse much stronger, so that will probably help you. I think they mentioned the ability to make her invincible, but I might have had misheard.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
All these QoL changes seem to actually make the game fun to play now. I'll give it another shot

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
I think a lot of the difficulty stems from the fact that people didn't use the appropriate upgrade paths. If you upgrade health, energy and launch initially, you should be good. As well as equip items to make launch more efficient or stronger, boost energy or refresh faster, and boost health. Everything else can progress naturally. And also people undermine Charge, by the time I upgraded it, I was able to upgrade it completely with blast radius increase X2 and increase projectile speed......you can basically destroy a room full off enemies from far away. The latter areas become very easy with this, you can approach slowly, blast them, recharge, blast them, repeat.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

Fuck Tommasi.
On the right side corner, there's a nook you can hide in, use shield on the shrieking enemy - it can only approach from one direction. And other times you can step out, blast Tommasi and step back inside the nook.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Is the art book on Amazon UK? Link on the site takes me to the US one but they have the price in £ on there. Can't spot it.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The soft checkpoints and control points closer to certain bosses is going to be a big improvement for people getting to the game late. Those were some of my biggest annoyances, so I'm happy to see them being addressed. Play this game everyone!

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
New checkpoints are a very welcomed addition.

Nearly every boss encounter was made infinitely more frustrating with how far away you were set upon death. I'm looking at you, Fridge.