• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
I have just recently gotten the Launch ability and the physics and effects are cool and fun to throw things at enemies for sure, but I'm also perplexed by the strange design choices they give you shortly after you obtain this ability. You'd think for the first boss fight after you obtain this ability you would need to use it on the boss in some way but nope. Boss just quickly moves out of the way if you throw anything at him so you're forced to just use your pea shooter on him again. So strange and odd design that takes the fun out of what would otherwise be a thrilling boss to fight of using a mixture of launch and shooting attacks.

This is the exact point at which I stepped away from the game for a while. That fight is some 1999-ass design and it's not interesting. Unlike the OP, though, I really have enjoyed the world (I did eventually go back and get to the motel a little bit after that) but I think it's going to sit until I get through some games that didn't turn me off so hard.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of my favorite games of the year, but I enjoy reading the lore collectibles and like throwing stuff at enemies with my mind. The only other thing that might interest you is that there's a lot of impossible space and trippy geometric stuff coming. If that doesn't sound interesting, then it's time to move on.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
game is telling me to traverse the motel but I tried all the doors and everything and they are just dead ends. So now I've just turned the game off in frustration as it looks like it's just bad game design.

No. You can't just throw around "bad game design" just because you failed on the easiest of puzzles. There are indeed times when a game doesn't give you the cues and direction needed to guide a player. This is not one of them.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best Third Person Adventure Game ever made, a classic already and will be talked for years to come, YEARS!!

But games sometimes dont click and thats ok, just play something you enjoy.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Everything is treated as normal by the FBC people because it is very normal for them. This is their day job. That is literally the premise of the game -- outsider finds herself surrounded by the absurd reality hidden under the facade of daily life.

That's why everything is explained in office memos, press releases, post it notes. Everything is explained and well justified within the central conceit of the narrative. Pay attention and you won't get stuck anywhere.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing it like Gears you're playing it badly. Momentum is key, being aggressive is how you win.

You also need to read everything. Exploring the building and piecing together the history is part of the experience.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is treated as normal by the FBC people because it is very normal for them. This is their day job. That is literally the premise of the game -- outsider finds herself surrounded by the absurd reality hidden under the facade of daily life.

That's why everything is explained in office memos, press releases, post it notes. Everything is explained and well justified within the central conceit of the narrative. Pay attention and you won't get stuck anywhere.
When I first played control I dropped it. After reading and and watching some SCP stuff, I was hooked. Not saying it necessary, but it help me immensely

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The physics are great but I didn't find the actual combat encounters to be that much fun, the enemy designs are pretty underwhelming for the most part, and while aesthetically the facility has a nice modern look to it the layout is atrocious for general navigation, way too many areas look identical. I got lost more wandering about in this game than probably anything else this gen, and not in the fun way. I love getting lost in certain games but the environment layout in Control was far too samey for general exploration to be enjoyable. Obviously an office building isn't going to look drastically different between areas but that begs the question if it was the best choice for the predominant setting throughout the playthrough.

I dug the mystery aspects and not having everything spoonfed to me from the get go, but didn't find the protagonist or most of the characters particularly interesting either. Not Remedy's strongest release.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this video but I'm just perplexed by it because everyone seems to assume it's normal. Like how did the objects of power come to be? Why isn't anyone that shocked by any of the stuff going on around me.

I don't actually know if any forms of fiction are good for you tbh

(people aren't shocked because the FBC is an organization that is focused on paranormal research. not sure what else needs to be said there. have you been looking at the collectibles in the game?)

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't. I thought it was fantastic from the start. Didn't need any time to click or anything like that. I think you just won't like it.

blomby

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
User Banned (1 week): trolling, account in junior phase
sometimes people just want to play dumb blockbuster shit and that's cool because they're maybe young or have limited exposure to different types of media or maybe they have kids and only have 4 hours to game a week or maybe they're huge dullards who like when they smack their jaw on the desk as it detaches from their skull

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Never understood the hype. Was a solid game throughout but not Game of the Year.

Story : I finished it and read a lot of the texts/interviews e.t.c and i still don't fully understand how it all fit (director e.t.c), but it definitely does answer / resolve a few questions by the end)

Setting : Loved the setting and all of the bosses e.t.c but it does start to get repetitive, plus the checkpointing is just an annoyance

Gameplay : gunplay is fantastic, physics powers never get boring , however the upgrade/unlock system was largely pointless and just an annoyance. Also limited to 2 weapons was kind of annoying

So solid game overall but hardly a Game of the Year contender imo

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Setting and story were interesting(even though it kind of copied that sci-fi channel miniseries about objects having powers and a portal room), but the actually gameplay was pretty dull and repetitive

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say yes. Games shouldn't take too long to get going mechanic wise but if you just got launch I don't think you're that far. Maybe give it a break for a week and pick it back up later because if you're in that mindset of course you won't like it. Once you get more abilities I enjoyed it a lot. Games like what, less than 10 hours?

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
I watched this video but I'm just perplexed by it because everyone seems to assume it's normal. Like how did the objects of power come to be? Why isn't anyone that shocked by any of the stuff going on around me.
They should put together some kind of bureau to study this problem. Maybe they'll get things under control.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
There are also these collectibles but a lot of the collectibles have crossed out text so you can't even figure anything out from reading them making them useless. Strange design choices.

Like I'm not a fan of figuring a story out through collectible documents anyway I think that's bad game design personally but even when you find them in this game a lot are indecipherable and make no sense anyway lol.

The game isn't for you. That's ok

I thought it was fantastic but not every game is for everyone

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I really enjoyed Control for the most part, but I felt that the maintenance sector was the most abysmal portion of the game by far. Not only is it the most dull section of the game with it basically being the "sewer level", it also exposes the games poor map system that for some reason can't convey to the player any sense of verticality. I remember spending like 20 minutes in a room one time just zigzagging around like a fly trapped in a bottle because I couldn't make out my position relative to where I was on the terrible map.

I know badly designed maps encourage exploration and all that, but there is a reason Metroid Prime nails exploration. It should be mandatory for 3d games with exploration elements to have 3d maps in my opinion. Anyways, I ultimately liked the game a good deal and it is probably in my top ten games of 2019. I hope you give it another shot someday, op.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
You really did, control probably has the best collectible information i have ever seen in a game, it does a great job of fleshing out the weird world they have built and some of it is pretty damn funny.
I'm sure I'll do another playthrough before the first expansion drops, so I think that's when I'll take more time to look at those since I know the actual game pretty much inside and out at this point. Thanks!

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'd say it stays about the same, didn't click with me either.

Lot of people praising the collectibles in this game... Personally I never read any of them, felt weird to constantly stop in a TPS to read stuff that may or may not be interesting

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If you're playing Control like Gears of War you've completely missed the point of the game. I used the cover system maybe three times in the entire game. You really need to keep moving at all times and constantly find ways to use your powers.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you're completely missing the point, especially if you think the battles are anything like Gears, but it sounds like the game is not gonna be for you, so I'd say no.
Why isn't anyone that shocked by any of the stuff going on around me.
That's the entire point and I'm kind of baffled by the question. It's hard to feel you aren't just completely missing the point of the game. It's a government agency that deals with the supernatural every day and has done so for many, many years. The supernatural is mundane to them and it becomes a bureaucracy like any government bureaucracy. These people have been dealing with this stuff for decades, do you expect them to run around every day screaming their lungs out about how extraordinary it is, despite the fact that it's ordinary to them? As for the reason why Jesse isn't that shocked, it's explained as you progress through the story.

For me, it's my favorite game of last year and perhaps one of my favorites of all time.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
OP, most of your post is a mess of bad misinformation, except for the vague story telling part. That's true and not everyone's cup, unfortunately.
Mostly I'm surprised you picked it up if you didn't like the art design.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP, most of your post is a mess of bad misinformation, except for the vague story telling part. That's true and not everyone's cup, unfortunately.
Even this is only true to a certain extent. It's vague in the beginning, but it all becomes pretty clear by the end. The plot revolves around a mystery that you're supposed to unravel, so of course it's going to be vague and unclear in the beginning. But it sounds like it's not a game the OP is going to enjoy, so there might not be much point trying to convince them it's good. For me, the mood, atmosphere, plot, world design and combat immediately clicked and I was blown away for the duration of the experience.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
As a general rule, it never gets better you just either get used it or you hate it. Game probably isn't for you. I would move on

Jul 3, 2019
It's a well made game but I totally fell off it shortly after fighting the monster possessing the fridge and getting the flight power.
Sometimes we just don't vibe with a game and not necessarily because its a bad game.
It's setting and story just did not pull me in so I never had a drive to keep playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
The last hour or so isn't spectacular following a really cool moment in the game, but I liked it more as it went on, and then disliked it more after the last hour

NightOnyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've unfortunately given up on the game. I played through mission 6 and I just wasn't enjoying it. The combat and powers are fine and even fun at times, but they are not good enough to get me through the story. I find Jesse and the main story to be incredibly boring. It's so strange too because I like the setting and the psychic power stuff, but nothing about Jesse or her story interests me in the slightest so far. By far the best thing I have done in the game was the Dr. Yoshimi side missions, those are amazing! Why isn't the writing for Jesse's story as good as that stuff? Sadly I just reached a point where I rather play other things and every time I return to it, I just can't get back into it. Maybe I'll return to it someday, but for now, I'm done with it.

Oct 30, 2017
The game uses this term called "objects of power" but there's no background to any of it? Objects of what now? so what? How do they exist? And why do random objects have this power? Why should I care about any of it if the game doesn't really explain the set up to the game itself and the world? What the hell just happened in the directors office? Why do I have these special powers? WHY THE FUCK DOES EVERYONE THINK ALL OF THIS IS NORMAL and won't react to anything out of the ordinary? oh I can launch enemies. No big deal. Ok that's just business as usual the characters all react as if all his is normal? I just don't get it?

everything you wrote in this paragraph is exactly why i loved the storytelling and exploration. it presents cool concepts without really explaining them, while everyone in the world already accepts it. the game trusts you to be patient and want to find out for yourself, which you do both by experiencing the story and by actively playing it (finding logs, etc).

it's a rare game that knows it's got something cool going on and puts its faith in the player to agree. if you don't agree then, well, maybe it isn't for you, but rest assured that all of the above is by design.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
People are saying "The game isnt for you" but tbh OP's continued obtuseness with the games central premise of "The FBC treats the unexplained like any other banal Government bureaucracy would treat a broken printer" honestly has me wondering if any form of fiction at all would be for them. Its basic story literacy.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Lotta reading to do as much of the lore and backstory is not actively told to you and is filled in by documents.

Game is just kinda weird. I found the actual world and lore interesting. Just not the main character and those connected to her.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I was honestly surprised by how much positive feedback this game got.
I hated it.

Like, the powers you get are really cool, but the encounters are annoying and the boss fights are absolutely terrible.
The final stretch of the game is shit too, and incredibly anti-climactic.

Even the much-lauded Ashtray Maze just made me go "That's it...!?"
Mind you, it didn't help that I'd been trying for a while to actually figure out how to get through because I thought it was a puzzle, but it turns out you just need a key item you get in the story, and then it's just largely an on-rails segment.

Hugely disappointing after the incredibly entertaining Alan Wake.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you're not paying attention. It's great from start to finish.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
The latest part I'm stuck in is this motel which I've suddenly been transported to because...of course I have. No explanation or context to any of it.

game is telling me to traverse the motel but I tried all the doors and everything and they are just dead ends. So now I've just turned the game off in frustration as it looks like it's just bad game design. I may not bother to come back to it to be honest.

The motel puzzles are elementary school level puzzles, if that's too hard for your I don't see why you would want to make yourself like the game, it's clearly not for you. I personally don't enjoy reading lore in games and I also love when games do explain shit while I'm playing, but even I managed to enjoy what Control was doing,
especially the connection to Alan Wake that you can completely miss unless you find a certain document, it literally made me smile.
The combat gets much better later in the game and you get to craft different weapon forms, I absolutely loved tearing through enemies with the "sniper" form, combat becomes bananas in the later parts of the game.

Jamiaro

Jan 8, 2018
Finland
So you are a person who does not like mystery and everything needs to be spoonfed to you while you feign ignorance? Control is very simple with its puzzles so what you said about the motel is all I need to know.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I get not being a huge fan of the combat, as while you get more powers and weapon forms and whatnot, I'm not sure it ever adds up to something much more than serviceable.

But the surreal, mysterious vibe of the story and setting and how it reveals itself—which I think is the main appeal of the game—just seems like it's frustrating or confusing you, rather than compelling you. And I don't know if that's the fault of the game, necessarily, as it worked fine for me.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Disagree with a lot of folks here. This is absolutely not a "if you don't like now, just put it down" situation.

For me, Control started off in a really uninteresting way. I didn't care about the premise, the main character already had a mission and knew why she was there so I didn't feel attached to her journey and the melee power/3rd person shooting felt average.

All of this added to the fact that the framerate dips during big shootouts, the character models are horrendous and the boss fights have really sudden and unreasonable difficulty spikes.

...then I started reading the files I was collecting.
...and I started to unlock more powers.
...and the hiss started to change.
...and my weapon upgraded.

I started to get swept up in the game's world. Flipping that light switch, commanding hiss to fight on my behalf, walking into dream-like rooms that shouldn't exist.

It started to feel like X-Files and Twin Peaks merged with Max Payne. Even more than Alan Wake (which I still contend is a better game). I loved it. I started to really love zipping around and exploring the map, fighting huge swaths of enemies and holeee shit when Ahti gives you those headphones.

So yeah, if this is your thing. The game does get better.

I managed to enjoy what Control was doing,
especially the connection to Alan Wake that you can completely miss unless you find a certain document, it literally made me smile.

Multiple documents. And a video. And audio. I'm so excited for the AWE expansion!!

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I really enjoyed Control for the most part, but I felt that the maintenance sector was the most abysmal portion of the game by far. Not only is it the most dull section of the game with it basically being the "sewer level", it also exposes the games poor map system that for some reason can't convey to the player any sense of verticality. I remember spending like 20 minutes in a room one time just zigzagging around like a fly trapped in a bottle because I couldn't make out my position relative to where I was on the terrible map.

I can relate to this. I definitely was navigationally challenged at multiple times during my playthrough.

That said it continues Remedy's trend of making the most stylish, cinematic (in the right way), wham-bam impactful games.

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Sounds like you don't really want to engage with the game. You could sit and ask "but why?" about every games internal logic. Also, surprisingly enough, it's not gonna reveal the entire plot in the first hour.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree with a lot of folks here. This is absolutely not a "if you don't like now, just put it down" situation.

For me, Control started off in a really uninteresting way. I didn't care about the premise, the main character already had a mission and knew why she was there so I didn't feel attached to her journey and the melee power/3rd person shooting felt average.

All of this added to the fact that the framerate dips during big shootouts, the character models are horrendous and the boss fights have really sudden and unreasonable difficulty spikes.

...then I started reading the files I was collecting.
...and I started to unlock more powers.
...and the hiss started to change.
...and my weapon upgraded.

I started to get swept up in the game's world. Flipping that light switch, commanding hiss to fight on my behalf, walking into dream-like rooms that shouldn't exist.

It started to feel like X-Files and Twin Peaks merged with Max Payne. Even more than Alan Wake (which I still contend is a better game). I loved it. I started to really love zipping around and exploring the map, fighting huge swaths of enemies and holeee shit when Ahti gives you those headphones.

So yeah, if this is your thing. The game does get better.

Multiple documents. And a video. And audio. I'm so excited for the AWE expansion!!
I totally agree with you, but the issue is OP doesn't sound like they want to put in the time towards reading the files and trying to comprehend the backstory behind the FBC/Oldest House and everything surrounding it. Control is a game that you really have to be willing to immerse yourself in it and read the files, watch Darling's videos, do the puzzles, explore the various departments/wings of the building, etc. Pretty much all of OP's complaints about the set-up and the world are answered by simply exploring every corner you can find. If they aren't into the game enough to care about doing that, then maybe it isn't for them. Personally I found the setting absolutely fascinating from the jump and I wanted to just absorb everything I could find.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3868

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I've played so far, the more attention you pay to this game, the greater it rewards you. Everything feels really well thought out, and connected. For instance, if you pay attention to the lore, you'll know about that motel before you get there, you'll know that light switches that act as teleporters exist. Getting to that hotel felt like a miniature "returning to rapture" experience.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "crazy shit that for the people working here is a normal, everyday experience" is one of the things I loved from the game. The combat is also lots of fun.

The checkpoints can be terrible though.