• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Strange that with MS backing they ended up making Alan Wake and Quantum Break which people think is off the mark, yet the moment they went full independent again they're said to be "back to form"
I mean have we even seen anything from it yet since e3 last year?

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Strange that with MS backing they ended up making Alan Wake and Quantum Break which people think is off the mark, yet the moment they went full independent again they're said to be "back to form"

Yeah, both Alan Wake and Quantum Break were excellent, and sucks more people didn't get to experience them.

And yeah, we've seen more since E3. They came out with this trailer since then that explained a bit about the game's lore.

OP
OP
Arklite

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there's a link in the OP to a video from December showing more gameplay. Here
That plus all of the rest of the info I put in the OP is why this is looking like an improvement.

Lordciego

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I loved Alan Wake so a Scp inspired game like this by Sam Lake should be great in the story department. Just hope the gameplay delivers and is better than Quantum Break.

Feb 26, 2018

Alan Wake have a positive general consensus. People loved that game.
QB was mediocre at best and it deserved all the hate.
Control already looks better because no TV BS

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If the gunplay is more Max Payne than Quantum Break, I'm in like Flynn, ready to sin and pass off the legacy to the next of kin.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Alan Wake was one of last generations best games. Quantum Break this generations most underrated game. Remedy never stopped being great.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Yes, there's a link in the OP to a video from December showing more gameplay. Here
That plus all of the rest of the info I put in the OP is why this is looking like an improvement.
Well, that's totally on par with what I saw from quantum break, if talking about a gameplay stand point only
It's still very early sure, but I can't imagine how the final game could be much better. I would still definitely pick this up, but saying this has some magical quality that far exceed AW or QB is far stretching to me

OP
OP
Arklite

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Well, that's totally on par with what I saw from quantum break, if talking about a gameplay stand point only
It's still very early sure, but I can't imagine how the final game could be much better. I would still definitely pick this up, but saying this has some magical quality that far exceed AW or QB is far stretching to me
Yes, it's not magical. I'm taking what they're saying at face value. Non linear play with an even wider repertoire of powers (especially levitation) and a renewed focus on combat would be a marked improvement over QB, but also a departure from the norm linear design for Remedy. Feels like I explained this all in the OP, though. Whether it pans out remains to be seen.

Alan Wake was one of last generations best games. Quantum Break this generations most underrated game. Remedy never stopped being great.
For me there's a difference between MP2 and AW where their narrative creativity went sky high but the rest of the game didn't follow. People can like Remedy's style while holding the opinion that their recent games missed some marks.

Last edited:

BornRZA

Oct 25, 2017
If Psi-Ops and Quantum Break had a baby it'll maybe look like this, cant wait to get my hands on the game

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland

There's been a developer diary each month last year since E3.
Lots of gameplay content from the E3 demo.
RTX trailer from Games Com in August.
There was a PC Gamer cover in September 2018 (November issue).
New "World" trailer in December.

Plenty more to come. Keep the faith :)

Jared

Oct 27, 2017
I had this game preordered... then I played Quantum Break. The last quarter of that game put me off paying full price for this. I'll grab it eventually once it hits a sale. I haven't been that frustrated playing a game in a very long time.

Lucc

Oct 29, 2017
I wished Quantum Break (QB) had a stealth option so you can choose whether you can go in guns blazing or take a stealth approach.

Looks like Control won't have stealth either. Too bad. I really like their games for the story but I hope the shooting will at least be better than in QB.

Mar 29, 2018
I feel like the art direction, graphics, setting, and basic gameplay mechanics all look brilliant. They just need a few things to connect the dots and make it a cohesive experience:
  • A deep story, rather than just a hodge podge of ideas thrown together
  • Really responsive controls (no pun intended), like an inFamous game
  • Good level design
  • Good encounter design that lends itself to dynamic combat

The Playstation version of Max Payne 2 was really rough, just FYI. There was an enormous gulf between that and the PC version.
I played it on PS2 originally and still loved it. You're right it was rough. Replaying on Xbox and PC years later was eye opening

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm very excited about this game since it was announced last E3. I loved Alan Wake and QB, my only gripe with the latest was that it didn't include a "Horde Mode" of sorts with many combat scenarios. Once you get the hang of moving around and using all the powers it's combat system shines like no other. I replayed the last levels several times in the hardest difficulty and, without delving too much into spoilers, always wanted to fight one of the shifters mentioned in the lore

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I just finished a play through of Quantum Break and I can only say I'm really glad Control has a different narrative lead/head writer. QB had some of the most terrible writing I've seen in a game for a long time, and I'm talking the moment to moment, dialogue stuff. It doesn't help that the TV sections are dire in the extreme, but even the in-game stuff is pretty terrible. The overall plot isn't awful but is still pretty riddled with contrivances, so while I'm really intrigued by Control's setting and core concept, I'm not holding my breath too much.