• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
First glance at Control seemed like a weird mishmash of ideas, token powers, with some surreal world window dressing. Not immediately memorable to me and it hasn't caught bigger attention yet, but looking at it further, I think this might be Remedy's most exciting TPS since Max Payne 2. So, here's some reasons why:

Control's setting is the 'Oldest House.'

(images filched from Gamespot)
3480104-control_worldtrailer_controlpoint.jpg

A strange nonsensical place disguised as a government building that shifts reality and spawns creepers. According to directors, it's inspired by 'New Weird' genre of sci-fi where abnormal phenomena may never be fully understood and attempts to do so lead to further confusion. This theme could potentially influence the gameplay at large:

• Confirmed 'Metroid-Vania' design: Usually means further exploration when you return with better gear or powers. Why it's exciting here is that The Oldest House is a bizarre place where navigating it requires rituals (sequence of actions) that open rooms or shift reality. The ritual stuff looks scripted so far but combining it with exploration and gear could lead to some truly great navigation and discovery.

Power utility: There's minor stuff like the morphing gun modes and combat use of telekinesis, but more interesting is the levitation. It adds a big option for both movement and exploration that could gel well with the surreal locales or maybe puzzles. The strange setting means the later discoverable powers (hinted at) could be suitably weird/creative.

Combat flexibility/challenge: This goes with the broader use of powers, but the addition of levitation also adds another layer to the combat. A recently shown boss encounter necessitated the use of telekinesis for defense, levitation for movement, and shifting environment for cover. What's exciting is these powerful enemies can make combat more dynamic and varied compared to Remedy's most recent games, and the promoters hinted that this was not even a 'real' boss, hopefully meaning that these combat challenges are the tip of the iceberg.

Crazy story beats: The Oldest House is in disarray. The director is dead, everything's spooky, you're fighting to take back control. The gun symbolizes King Arthur's sword and you are the (potential) chosen one. Meanwhile, it seems the dead director is giving you cryptic pep talks from beyond, and the poor remaining employees are stuck guarding apocalyptic refrigerators. Neat.

3480107-control_worldtrailer_quarry_sky.jpg

But, whatever. Remedy always brings the narrative intrigue and it hasn't helped its last two games be more than interesting plot strings. The directors have stated that Control is different and their game efforts here are going to be unhinged and creative. I'm hoping so, but what are the impressions here? Is Control looking like a gem or another flash in the pan?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
As someone who didn't enjoy Alan Wake, thinks Max Payne is highly overrated but did sort of dig the parts of QB that actually let you play the damn thing I have to say the OP got me hyped for this game.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I'm really looking forward to this. I hope the April release window that was originally listed on the game's Steam page proves to be accurate.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I'm all in so far, I just want to see more. Looked pretty early, considering what we've seen (or more haven't seen) so far.

Possible cross gen title?

El Mariachi

Oct 31, 2017
Austria
Looking forward to everything that Sam Lake writes. Love his style.

Still hope they get back to Alan Wake one day. It's my favorite flawed game.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it looks interesting

i was kinda disappointed by QB, but i really enjoyed AW

this game almost seems like a middle ground of the two in a few ways

hopefully it has a smooth dev period

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they plan on releasing a demo for this because I have zero faith in Remedy after Quantum Break's disaster of a port to PC with severe performance, image quality, and control issues. I'm not at all happy with how they abandoned it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Return...? When did they left?

Quantum Break was mediocre at best. Terrible TV-bits and though the shooting and power mechanics were good, the dull mission design and drab environments killed most of the fun. It was a big disapointment for me, as I was really looking forward to it.

That's why I'm a bit cautious about Control. It looks very much as a Quantum Break spiritual sequel, especially in visual style and art design. I really hope I'm proven wrong though, but for now I have a hard time getting excited for it.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Alan Wake and Quantum Break are still very good games but don't reach the highs of Max Payne 1 and 2
Their combat/encounters haven't been so hot since 2003 IMO, and that potential improvement is what excites me about Control
I feel like expecting another Max Payne or the high highs of it everytime Remedy does something is setting yourself up.
It was a different time back when those games launched, different influences and what not.
Combat, combat, combat, everytime and that misses the point, I think their games are much more than that.
Not above the scrutiny mind, but just like their output, that isn't quite the focus.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Alan Wake was good, one of my most favorite games of all time.

Didn't hear good things about QB other than the impressive visuals though. Not to mention a lack of Poets of the Fall in it's soundtrack.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks great and I'll be definitely getting it, but I'm afraid it will sell like crap.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Hopefully this time they'll dial back the story and focus on gameplay. Alan Wake already had too much story imho, and Quantum Break is even worse.

AkimbOb-omb

Oct 30, 2017
I played QB for the first time last week and it's the best story driven single player game I've played in years. Suddenly I'm insanely hyped for Control. Can't wait!

[...]
But, whatever. Remedy always brings the narrative intrigue and it hasn't helped its last two games be more than interesting plot strings. [...] Is Control looking like a gem or another flash in the pan?
okay.... IMO QB is the best time travel story I can think of in any media.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
My only concern is length. 12-15h would be perfect but I am afraid that they will go with around 8h.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm a bit skeptical after AW and QB - both were okay but nothing to write home about - but I really hope this'll be good. I love the setting.

Mar 29, 2018
I feel like expecting another Max Payne or the high highs of it everytime Remedy does something is setting yourself up.
It was a different time back when those games launched, different influences and what not.
Combat, combat, combat, everytime and that misses the point, I think their games are much more than that.
Not above the scrutiny mind, but just like their output, that isn't quite the focus.
Hmm I actually don't think it's about the combat, it's about the pacing and game mechanics. Alan Wake's game mechanics don't advance beyond "point flashlight, shoot" all the way through and while the level/encounter design is great it doesn't quite manage to mix up what happens well enough. (You can argue Max Payne is just slo-mo and shooting but it had insanely varied encounter and level design (lots of levels were super vertical and small inclusions like snipers, weapon-limited levels, crazy environmental hazards, playing other characters, all mixed it up beautifully). Quantum Break again was on the whole very strong but only hit its stride in a couple of places, otherwise feeling too rushed, with only really a handful of levels in it. Max Payne 2 is very short but perfectly tight, every minute feels like it has a place. QB didn't feel like that.

Also the "more than that" aspect - which I guess you're meaning like story and tone and references? - have been hamstrung on various levels. Quantum Break's had some phenomenal story work but the best of it was hidden in overlong optional texts and the rest of it was hamstrung by the 5/10 TV show shoehorned in there (a great experiment though). Alan Wake was also good but felt like a shadow of what it could have been, not ending properly and not getting a sequel and being cut down vastly in scope during development.

Control looks much more interesting and much more like what they want to make.

DocDeltree

Jan 4, 2018
Getting some nice cosmic horror vibes! Fingers crossed Remedy pulls off a better game than QB which more people will experience.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It looks awesome

Gameplay looks really good and fluid from what I could gather from the gameplay video, and the other moody videos showing the Old House are dripping with style

What I'm afraid of is that it seems to be light on the story part.

The gameplay loop seems to be fun enought to hold interest, but from Remedy I should expect some great narrative. Hoping for one here.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Alan Wake and I strongly disliked Quantum Break, but this new game has my attention.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with the title of this thread. Remedy a solid little studio. I believe they will shine with Control. It looks amazing.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I disliked Max Payne, but Alan Wake and Quantum Break are some of the best 3rd person action games ever released.

I hope they go back to Alan Wake someday, or Microsoft buys them out.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Alan Wake but QB leave me a bit cold. Its mechanics didn't get me and it was in the short side. The tv bit were meh. I hope Control feels a little bit more "complete"

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Return...? When did they left?

Exactly what I was thinking. Alan Wake was their best game, and while Quantum Break was a bit weaker, it was still great.

Control also looks very interesting, but sadly, I'm not seeing a lot of hype for it. It's a Remedy game, so I'll be getting it day one, but I don't have a good feeling about its commercial prospects. Then again, maybe they'll knock it out of the park, and more people will take notice.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Looks great so far. Always will hope for the best for Remedy, Max Payne 1 and 2 sealed that, still great to play today.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
They certainly seem to be in control of their own destiny. Let us hope that it can remedy their financial situation.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Exactly what I was thinking. Alan Wake was their best game, and while Quantum Break was a bit weaker, it was still great.

Control also looks very interesting, but sadly, I'm not seeing a lot of hype for it. It's a Remedy game, so I'll be getting it day one, but I don't have a good feeling about its commercial prospects. Then again, maybe they'll knock it out of the park, and more people will take notice.

It's being overshadowed by all the major hitters coming out Q1.

Once those games passed and the release date gets announced the marketing can start the push

I_D

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be picking it up simply because it's a Remedy game.

I expect it'll be their worst-selling AAA game, though.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Gunplay HAS to be a BIG improvement over Quantum Break. QB was so floaty and inprecise on Xbox. Alan Wake felt so much better IMO.