• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Man, this gonna be something special, i can feel it.

Last edited:

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The setting reminds me so much of Evil Within's Mobius DLC, surreal office spaces and cold concrete. Could be good if they nail some combat variety this time.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Heavily inspired by.

Yep that, as well as by new Weird, Jeff VanderMeer. Some of the original sources if inspiration especially from a world building perspective was the movie Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and obviously Inception. There's way too many games to name that the team likes, but there's that definite metroidvania-influence in Control and some Dark Souls too, though everybody on the team is inspired by different things.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I will be totally honest:
This looks amazing. AMAZING.
But I'm still disappointed to not be able to play Quantum Break at locked 60 fps even with a high end computer.

Will Control be a game in which you have thought about 60 fps from the beginning or another experience designed around 30 fps?
A high-end PC should be able to keep the game Quantum Break above 60 FPS at all times. Maybe not maxed-out at 4K though.
The issue is that the game has severe frame-pacing problems and mouse control is broken, resulting in awful stuttering movement.

Oh, and you can't disable things like motion blur, and the cutscenes are capped to 30 FPS for some stupid reason. And you have to stream the videos instead of being able to download them. And you have to buy it again on a different store if you want the DX12 or DX11 version and have the other one.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
A high-end PC should be able to keep the game Quantum Break above 60 FPS at all times. Maybe not maxed-out at 4K though.
The issue is that the game has severe frame-pacing problems and mouse control is broken, resulting in awful stuttering movement.

Oh, and you can't disable things like motion blur, and the cutscenes are capped to 30 FPS for some stupid reason. And you have to stream the videos instead of being able to download them. And you have to buy it again on a different store if you want the DX12 or DX11 version and have the other one.

My fault for not being precise enough. I meant 60 fps with perfect framepacing with upscaling disabled.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, the environments and the lighting are incredible. It already looks really interesting from a visual stand point, props to their artists.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this trailer and love the aesthetics of everything we've seen from this game so far. Always great to hear James McCaffrey too

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks really cool, but if it all takes place in this building I can see it getting a bit artistically oppressive and samey. What about the big bold outdoor vistas and less dark or dingey, colourful larger environments to help break things up?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the best trailer for this yet.

Also half expected Rod Serling to pop up towards the end lmao. The voiceover felt Twilight Zone esque.

Raptor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep that, as well as by new Weird, Jeff VanderMeer. Some of the original sources if inspiration especially from a world building perspective was the movie Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and obviously Inception. There's way too many games to name that the team likes, but there's that definite metroidvania-influence in Control and some Dark Souls too, though everybody on the team is inspired by different things.
All of this sold me on the game!

Can't wait.

Oct 29, 2017
This game supposedly had a really striking RTX demo too, right?

This art direction is something that could push me to that technology.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Super intriguing, big fan of Max Payne and Alan Wake. I especially love what Remedy has done with Alan Wake, love those kinds of setting and story.

I only wish they continued the tradition of giving their main characters names that are a wordplay on the themes of the story.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Heavily inspired by.
Hype rising!

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully Remedy nails this one. So far there's pretty minimal amounts of hype which might indicate small sales potential which would suck after Quantum Break not exactly breaking the bank on either platform.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I only wish they continued the tradition of giving their main characters names that are a wordplay on the themes of the story.
I'm probably reaching, but upon searching "Faden" of Control protagonist Jesse Faden I found that it is a diminutive for "yarn" and "thread," which to extrapolate could relate to the fabric of reality in a game with a distorted reality.

It's also plural for "fathom," as to fathom the cosmos in a game with an ostensibly eldritch threat. Jesse Fathoms the Oldest House.

Thomas Puha

Head of Comms at Remedy Entertainment
Verified
Jan 15, 2018
Espoo, Finland
Looks really cool, but if it all takes place in this building I can see it getting a bit artistically oppressive and samey. What about the big bold outdoor vistas and less dark or dingey, colourful larger environments to help break things up?

There will be variety. That was one of the points we wanted to make with this trailer that while it takes place in a single location, from a visual standpoint there is variety and more open ended spaces.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
My most anticipated 2019 game, for sure.

I want to move to Finland and work for Remedy. Seems like such a cool company.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will be variety. That was one of the points we wanted to make with this trailer that while it takes place in a single location, from a visual standpoint there is variety and more open ended spaces.

Sounds good. Thanks for taking the time to clarify!