• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
This post literally just proves the initial point that people love to claim they have magic versions with no frame rate drops or issues.

How? I never said Control has no framerate issues, it does. It had issues even on my PS4 Pro and the patch fixed it only a little - it's still not good in terms of performance. I can only imagine how it works on base versions.

All I said is that most console games don't have issues of this severity (I don't consider a rare drop here and there an "issue"). I played a lot of games this generation, and Control is more of an exception than a rule. Of course, there are members here who claim anything below 144fps is unplayable, but that's, like, their opinion. I'm talking about stable 30fps at the minimum, which the vast majority of games hit. They are not "magic versions".

TGR Onix

Nov 3, 2017
Never played OG Ocarina of Time?

In all seriousness, Control is a fantastic game that was very intensive. Even on a PS4 pro, it would slow down from time to time.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a great time with it! There's a few moments of slowdown in two of the more hectic encounters that come to mind but nothing that stalled my enjoyment or persisted. It looks stunning to compensate. The Old House is one of my favourite environments of the gen and the art direction excels, coupled with some of the best world building to date (you will hunger for and devour the notes in this game) it's a rabbit hole you're happy to jump down.

The destruction and environmental chaos that comes with the fights/abilities is handled well on the X and you're able to enjoy it without hitches outside of those mentioned. Fantastic game, really recommend it.
Ahh, thanks for your impressions. I'm relieved to hear that.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Unfortunately Control is a next gen PC game that released on console hardware that truly could not keep up. The console variants are horribly crippled ports. It is a shame, as it is a fantastic game, but as someone who played it on PC, with all of the bells and whistres, I would suggest waiting for the inevitable next-gen rerelease.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers were only sent the PS4 Version.
Iirc the base PS4 version actually is the worst performing version of the game..

The september 2019 patch did improve things quite a bit though, and made the game mostly stable on enhanced consoles atleast. After the patch the base Xbox drops to low 20s at most whereas base PS4 can still drop to low teens and be sustained there for some time (though not as long as day 1).

Last edited:

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I had an entire fight run at 2 FPS on base PS4 and no, I'm not exaggerating. Most of the time I thought it was acceptable but those moments where it wasn't made me decide to wait until I have a PS5 to play the DLC.

Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition on Switch is real bad, not for any good reason mind you. Control did hurt my PC, on the CPU side more than my 1080 I expect. 1440p can be too much sometimes.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Darksiders III has TERRIBLE performance on the base PS4. I hate to see how it is on the Xbox One

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure base PS4 isn't much better xD I still loved my time on it, though. Hopefully they'll play better through bc on next gen.

Someone elsewhere, upon being told next gen versions were coming, wrote: Probably good to release it on a console that can handle panning the camera slowly to the right without exploding.

HA! Still makes me chuckle.

Thing is, for all its issues, I never felt that it caused me any annoying issues while playing. (In the sense that slowdown didn't cause me to die.)

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Who gives a shit? Is the Xbox One a N64 or a PS1?
Few people are willing to go back to that era, in part due to these exact reasons.
No need for hostility, some of us are older gamers. Even games like Just Cause that aren't that old have terrible frame rates.

This is why I'm so happy the new consoles look to actually have a decent upgrade. Of couyrse we will still see developers favor insane graphics at the expense of frame rates but I don't really want to support those developers any longer.

Deleted member 5334

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like you didn't play any N64 games.

Lord, guys, don't do this. Some of us may have tolerance to frame rate issues, especially growing up from that generation (I did for instance). But still, don't do this. There clearly is serious issues with this game, and seeing the analysis videos for this, clearly something is wrong. It's also bothering enough people to warrant a "Yeah, this is an issue". Especially given it's a late generation game.

That and some people are very sensitive to either frame rate drops and/or uneven frame pacing, to the point it causes motion sickness (and other issues) for some people. Much like certain flashing/patterns make me ill playing some games at times, so I have to be careful (largely affects pre-1998 games, due to companies becoming more aware post-Pokemon Shock incident).

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Lord, guys, don't do this. Some of us may have tolerance to frame rate issues, especially growing up from that generation (I did for instance). But still, don't do this. There clearly is serious issues with this game, and seeing the analysis videos for this, clearly something is wrong. It's also bothering enough people to warrant a "Yeah, this is an issue". Especially given it's a late generation game.

That and some people are very sensitive to either frame rate drops and/or uneven frame pacing, to the point it causes motion sickness (and other issues) for some people. Much like certain flashing/patterns make me ill playing some games at times, so I have to be careful (largely affects pre-1998 games, due to companies becoming more aware post-Pokemon Shock incident).

I don't think they were dismissing the issues with Control's frame rate, Just pointing out the hyperbolic thread title, The first thing that popped in my head when I read it was Goldeneye on N64. But maybe I'm just old.

Anyway I'm not particularly sensitive to frame rate drops but I found a lot of performance issues when I played the PS4 Pro version so yeah, I imagine the base Xbox version is pretty bad. I'm hoping the next gen version is a free upgrade for existing owners. I'd definitely jump back in to an improved version.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
By the time I played on the X most of the issues were cleaned up, I think. Didn't notice any real performance issues when I played.

This might be my game of the gen, absolutely incredible experience.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Standard PS4 version has some BIG frame drops too. I didn't have much problem in 99% of the game, but there were some moments that like playing a slow gif!
But even with those frame drops, it was a fantastic game for me.

Deleted member 66837

Banned
Apr 24, 2020
Their next gen versions really better be free upgrades for the people who had to suffer through the current gen versions

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
I love this game. It ran ok on PS4 pro except at particle heavy moments when it just tanked. I expected the bug or whatever it is when you leave the menu or unpause and it judders and stutters for a few second to be fixed when the DLC released, but bafflingly it hasn't been. Still love the game though!

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Even on PS4 Pro the constant stuttering when leaving the menus was annoying, especially if you were in combat.

Deleted member 39144

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
There's some proper snobbery in this thread. Sometimes when people say they don't notice framerate issues, they don't notice them. I have nothing wrong with my vision (I'm actually an optician so I can vouch for that), but I never notice framerate problems. My other half will sit next to me as I'm playing something and point them out to me. I still don't notice them. Maybe I'm just to caught up in what's happening to notice them? Maybe I just don't care? But I genuinely, hand on heart have no issues with framerate.

Not played Control, mind. Maybe that could be the deal-breaker.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
I was thinking of picking this up on a base PS4 sometime soon, but reading all the impressions now I am gonna wait to play it on next gen systems. So thanks OP for the thread!

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately Control is a next gen PC game that released on console hardware that truly could not keep up. The console variants are horribly crippled ports. It is a shame, as it is a fantastic game, but as someone who played it on PC, with all of the bells and whistres, I would suggest waiting for the inevitable next-gen rerelease.
Yep, this. Control is basically a next gen game down ported to current consoles. They ripped a bunch of the graphics tech out and it still barely runs at a playable frame rate. It's an awesome game with some of the best third person shooter combat so I'd recommend playing it on PC or waiting for the proper next gen versions.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Can I ask.. are the early Series X games that are cross gen also being made to work on the launch Xbox One? Every time I see stuff like this talked about it's as if the One S is the defacto base unit in Microsoft's eyes, is that right?

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Playing Fallout 4 on PS4 there was one street in one of the towns that would consistently make the game run at seconds per frames.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love this game. It ran ok on PS4 pro except at particle heavy moments when it just tanked. I expected the bug or whatever it is when you leave the menu or unpause and it judders and stutters for a few second to be fixed when the DLC released, but bafflingly it hasn't been. Still love the game though!
Pre-patch 1.03, those drops were incredibly severe and way more frequent. It was borderline unplayable at parts, with some sections dipping into what felt like the low tens.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Never owned a PS1 but I did have a Nintendo 64. I feel like what was acceptable back then is different to now though because of technological innovation.
Exactly. I've gone back to play a few PS3 games recently and after a few years away from it, I'm appalled at these framerates. It's shocking I used to think nothing of it because it was the norm. Current gen is so much better in comparison, but it still doesn't forgive bad framerates.