• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a really well done and human video. Probably the best explanation I've seen on how unproductive cancel culture is, and the people who need to watch it the most are likely going to dismiss it.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Something I've heard that could explain some infighting is this: Traumatized people develop defense mechanisms and will employ them whenever they judge a situation requiring them. Some of them involve extreme reactions which have been learned in situations that don't call for them.

I understand and agree with this, and my own "trauma-informed" remark was a badly-worded attempt as such. And I very well may be trying to pathologize reactions that don't need pathology, possibly as a response to my own traumas.

I have definitely seen people who are actually alt right pile on to controversies surrounding left leaning subjects with concern trolling. Happens on Twitter, Reddit, the old place, and even occasionally here. I mean, Russia used the same technique in 2016 with fake pro BLM pages.

I've seen this also, as well as imposing "no true Scotsman"-esque purity tests on marginalized groups (which sure feels close to the dichotomous aspect Natalie discussed).

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. There's some thought provoking stuff in there and I think it's worth watching, but it still bothers me how it basically frames all of the backlash as people trying to harass her. That's the way Lindsay Ellis views things too and I don't think it's completely fair, even though this video makes it clear why they would feel that way.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Pattern of dismissive drive-by posts in sensitive threads.
I watched the whole thing and she was right. Nobody determined to hate on her is going to watch.

Also, lol at the people who want a summary. Nah, you cowards. Start analyzing things for yourself and stop relying on a mob to tell you what to do/be one of the cool kidz.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it. There's some thought provoking stuff in there and I think it's worth watching, but it still bothers me how it basically frames all of the backlash as people trying to harass her. That's the way Lindsay Ellis views things too and I don't think it's completely fair, even though this video makes it clear why they would feel that way.

I think one thing that contributes to this (that she should have recognized and talked about) is how losing a broader circle of people to bounce ideas off of due to cancel culture can also make one's thinking a lot more insular. Like there might be some legitimate blind spots that she has but her most trusted circle would probably not want to call her out on that, and a healthier public callout could help one learn in some ways that a very close circle can't.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
It's not actually that difficult. For one thing there isn't actually a trans community. In part because most trans people after a few years in their transition will stop attending trans spaces. Some will stay to mentor others, some will remain as activists. But for the majority of trans people the "trans community" is more a transitory space as well. Most of the people in it are early in their transition or working on coming out to themselves.

Which leads to an important problem. Every single trans person must work through their own internalized transphobia. It's part of transitioning as much as medication, coming outs, name changes or surgery. It's a difficult and often painful process. If you do it in public it's really easy to hurt other trans people while you do it. A lot of trans spaces have that problem and sometimes even have to throw out people seeking help. Helping them simply comes at too great a cost for other vulnerable people.

The second problem is that you're extremely vulnerable early in transition. All trans acceptance is extremely conditional. In way too many places you still have to perform transness "correctly" to get access to treatment. It can be quite threatening when people demand acceptance that haven't or can't jump through these hoops. Like your own acceptance could be endangered. Therefore respectability politics. Passing at any cost. Cutting any contact that could out you as trans. Moving to another galaxy and telling everyone that you're trans. And of course a helping of sour grapes. If I had to go through gatekeeping, you have to as well!

Finally there is the fact that being trans is a pretty weak group category. Everyone whose gender identity is different than their assigned gender at birth. That could nearly mean anything! Even "binary" trans man and woman are often at odds. Feeling the other side is privileged. And most often feeling like they aren't actually heard. Resources for trans people are sparse. That's one of the reasons for infighting. Certain voices will get listened to far more and it's cis people who decide who gets attention and who gets ignored. Whose story will actually be told and who gets told to shut up instead.

I'm sorry I didn't see this before my earlier response. Outstanding post with a lot to consider, thank you!

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Half way through the video, I think she makes really good points about how the mob tries to wag the dog.

Would have preferred a shorter video, but so far so good!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I thought it was a pretty good video. She does indulge in how hurt she felt personally by everything, but if you're not looking to feel exhausted by that, it paints a pretty good picture of how grueling it is to get through a period of being trashed upon and ostracized.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
So the thing that gets me is that for whatever claim she has of being cancelled, she's still making upwards of $15K a month via Patreon under some of the most conservative estimates (everyone donates at $2 level and patreon takes like a 10%+ cut). As always I make fun of the cancel culture stuff because people are almost never not using it to talk about relatively rich and powerful people (i.e., folks getting Netflix comedy specials, retired politicians) who are now slightly less rich and powerful. Contra is at least an edge case because, since that doesn't account for the costs of production or health coverage, that's not exactly fuck you money.
This is completely unrelated to anything, but I'm now curious as to how Patreon income gets taxed.

One thing I have appreciated about Contra is the way she covers her own thoughts and feelings, even when they aren't perfect. I remember being in meetings years ago and having thought similar things about pronouns to what she's shared. (And now I personally use both she and they!) Usually you only get to see the raw materials - an imperfect person - and the final product - a perfect social justice beacon - with nobody ever getting a look at the rocky liminal space in between. That's why she's so relatable to me. I recognize those thoughts and that process. I knew they probably needed work but was reluctant to be candid about not being perfect, so it took me even longer to get through them on my own and with select few trusted trans friends. I value the sharing of that journey and the fact that it exists, because it's happening all over in isolation whether we acknowledge it or not.
I'm gonna go out and agree with Lesath by saying that maybe she shouldn't be tweeting out her imperfect feelings about other marginalized groups, especially when Contrapoints the channel is meticulously researched and designed to appeal to people who are not trans and don't know anything about queer theory.

This isn't to diminish any of her inspiration to you, but "honest and vulnerable feelings other trans people can relate to" and "anti-conservative propaganda for the edgy YouTube kids" are not brands that can reconcile very well. Her success as the latter makes doing the former kind of reckless imo since she's delberately put herself into a position of authority and we saw that in action after the pronoun-related tweets you mentioned immediately got weaponized by the usual right wing peanut gallery.

Oct 30, 2017
So far into the video the underlying point seems to be to not paint people in the worst possible light just because it's easy to do so.
Cancelling doesn't have to be literally mean they no longer have their job or their influence. But you can simply write off anything they say or do with zero effort by throwing some powerful labels that may not be an accurate or fair characterization of the person.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(Note: not trying to invalidate how others feel, I just disagree on her being trash).

I agree with this.
Note 1: cishet white male here, so yeah, my opinion is worth... whatever it's worth.
Note 2: back during the Opulence/Buck Angel controversy, I posted a lot in two different threads about the whole thing, mostly to complain that it was a shitty thing of Natalie to do, that her apology didn't cut the mustard, and that her YouTube friends' responses were kinda crappy too. So much so that one poster commented that I wasn't that far removed from the irrational Twitter mob. One thing is for sure: I was very vehement in calling out Contrapoints and pals.

With that in mind, here are my updated thoughts on the whole thing now that I've seen the entire video: I still empathize with the hurt feelings, and back when Opulence came out, I found some critical Twitter threads and YouTube responses that extremely thoughtful and/or insightful. In this new video, I'm glad that Contra acknowledges those types of responses, and I'm especially glad that she mentioned korviday's YouTube response, for instance. Love the guy. With that said, my ability to empathize and be on the side of the audience only lasts up until the point where people start calling her entire being trash and pretty much an irredeemably bad person who's no better than your average bigot, and also possibly a grifter. Like, she obviously cares deeply and works her ass off on her videos. Grifters are people like, say, TheQuartering, or Steven Crowder, or PragerU. That is painting her with too broad a stroke IMO. Buck Angel? Eeeeh, yeah, I see her point I guess, but I'm still very, very iffy on the guy. I mean, how can't I be when people like noted transphobe Graham Linehan calls him "one of the good ones". But Contra herself? Call me foolish, but I want to believe she genuinely means well, that she can improve, and that, on balance, she's a powerful force for progressivism. Which doesn't mean other people should necessarily be as lenient or patient as me. If you're an NB and you don't want to hear about her again, who am I to tell you what to do? I don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of all this. And she still needs to be more thoughtful in how she tackles some topics.

Her video still gave me some food for thought. When it comes to the more vitriolic side of myself, I'll now try and save it for people who truly deserve it: politicians and grifters who actively hurt the world on a large scale and just make the world a worse place for everyone but rich bigots, with no signs of being willing to improve. Or better yet, I'll try and boost positive content instead.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Binary people swarming in to throw shade at other Era members as having a lesson to learn like close to if not all of us haven't been criticizing any harrasment given and distinguishing ourselves from it, like there wasn't numerous normal call-outs leading up to the Buck Angel incident and that there isn't a much wider context behind this all.

People content to throw cancel culture at people talking about someone on a forum while conflating them with people harrassing them directly on twitter because that's how vague and nebulous the term is.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the thing that gets me is that for whatever claim she has of being cancelled, she's still making upwards of $15K a month via Patreon under some of the most conservative estimates (everyone donates at $2 level and patreon takes like a 10%+ cut). As always I make fun of the cancel culture stuff because people are almost never not using it to talk about relatively rich and powerful people (i.e., folks getting Netflix comedy specials, retired politicians) who are now slightly less rich and powerful. Contra is at least an edge case because, since that doesn't account for the costs of production or health coverage, that's not exactly fuck you money.

If she's cancelled now someone forgot to tell all her subscribers.
Your definition of cancel culture is far too limited if you think that its only effects are financial in nature.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one thing that contributes to this (that she should have recognized and talked about) is how losing a broader circle of people to bounce ideas off of due to cancel culture can also make one's thinking a lot more insular. Like there might be some legitimate blind spots that she has but her most trusted circle would probably not want to call her out on that, and a healthier public callout could help one learn in some ways that a very close circle can't.
Right. I guess it's not really the kind of topic that you can cover comprehensively because if you've been through something like this you will have those blind spots, but if you haven't you wouldn't know what the experience is like at all. I do think it kept the video from being as good as it could have been though.

I guess it's good that she recommended videos critical of her in the video, so you can get that other perspective?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brevity, for one, as you imply

I don't think this kind of subject lends itself well to brevity honestly. Especially on the internet where there is always going to be that person that says "yeah, but she didn't even address this or that"

Sure, its a long watch and yes Natalie likes to indulge herself in theatrically unraveling her points but inevitability if she didn't have a section where she talks about the buck stuff if there was a section where she didn't address the non-binary stuff if there wasn't a section covering this... and that... someone would bring that up as Natalie running away from addressing it.

So yes, its long and sometimes indulgent but she kind of covers everything because if she didn't she'd get called out for that too. In an era where 1-2 hour podcasts are a fairly normal thing 100 minutes doesn't seem like a big ask of time to me.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is this like when projared beat cancel culture
He still has almost 900k subscribers, and he's resumed regular uploads...

Interested in more opinions from NB people about the video and if it actually seems genuine to them.
Haven't watched the video yet, but the thread has already come to a consensus on who's 'right' and turned to insults (both veiled and not so veiled) so I don't imagine a lot of dissenting opinions going to come forward regardless.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Well, I thought it was a pretty good video. She does indulge in how hurt she felt personally by everything, but if you're not looking to feel exhausted by that, it paints a pretty good picture of how grueling it is to get through a period of being trashed upon and ostracized.

Yeah I am halfway through and so far it is really good.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's not actually that difficult. For one thing there isn't actually a trans community. In part because most trans people after a few years in their transition will stop attending trans spaces. Some will stay to mentor others, some will remain as activists. But for the majority of trans people the "trans community" is more a transitory space as well. Most of the people in it are early in their transition or working on coming out to themselves.

Which leads to an important problem. Every single trans person must work through their own internalized transphobia. It's part of transitioning as much as medication, coming outs, name changes or surgery. It's a difficult and often painful process. If you do it in public it's really easy to hurt other trans people while you do it. A lot of trans spaces have that problem and sometimes even have to throw out people seeking help. Helping them simply comes at too great a cost for other vulnerable people.

The second problem is that you're extremely vulnerable early in transition. All trans acceptance is extremely conditional. In way too many places you still have to perform transness "correctly" to get access to treatment. It can be quite threatening when people demand acceptance that haven't or can't jump through these hoops. Like your own acceptance could be endangered. Therefore respectability politics. Passing at any cost. Cutting any contact that could out you as trans. Moving to another galaxy and telling everyone that you're trans. And of course a helping of sour grapes. If I had to go through gatekeeping, you have to as well!

Finally there is the fact that being trans is a pretty weak group category. Everyone whose gender identity is different than their assigned gender at birth. That could nearly mean anything! Even "binary" trans man and woman are often at odds. Feeling the other side is privileged. And most often feeling like they aren't actually heard. Resources for trans people are sparse. That's one of the reasons for infighting. Certain voices will get listened to far more and it's cis people who decide who gets attention and who gets ignored. Whose story will actually be told and who gets told to shut up instead.

Really good post that offers a lot of important perspective.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This is completely unrelated to anything, but I'm now curious as to how Patreon income gets taxed.

I'm gonna go out and agree with Lesath by saying that maybe she shouldn't be tweeting out her imperfect feelings about other marginalized groups, especially when Contrapoints the channel is meticulously researched and designed to appeal to people who are not trans and don't know anything about queer theory.

This isn't to diminish any of her inspiration to you, but "honest and vulnerable feelings other trans people can relate to" and "anti-conservative propaganda for the edgy YouTube kids" are not brands that can reconcile very well. Her success as the latter makes doing the former kind of reckless imo since she's delberately put herself into a position of authority and we saw that in action after the pronoun-related tweets you mentioned immediately got weaponized by the usual right wing peanut gallery.

That's the catch 22 though isn't it? The foundation of the draw of her videos is the intellectual deep dive coupled with candid personal experience. The heart of the video essay content is evidence driven thesis while outreach/exposure is dependent on showing authenticity.

Those bemoaning her being manipulative, do you believe her personal reaction to the public backlash to be unauthentic? My personal impression was that the contrast of her personal pain on the matter to the very direct moments of unmuddled apology where she agrees she is wrong lends to the authenticity of the apology. Those saying an apology doesn't need to be this long, real apologies are more than a statement. They are a body of work that takes time to heal a rift in a damaged relationship. This video was the first real step in attempting to heal that relationship. Does that mean the relationship will work out in the end? Just as with any real relationship that will depend on everyone in the relationship.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That's the catch 22 though isn't it? The foundation of the draw of her videos is the intellectual deep dive coupled with candid personal experience. The heart of the video essay content is evidence driven thesis while outreach/exposure is dependent on showing authenticity.
She shows authenticity in the videos themselves though and if her having unfettered Twitter access was necessary for her outreach to succeed, she wouldn't have handed over the reigns to someone else. You can be authentic without being completely unfiltered.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Interested in more opinions from NB people about the video and if it actually seems genuine to them.
Yeah, same. This thread honestly kinda seems like a lot of binary people rushing to try and excuse her and that angle isn't surprising considering her platform and status among a lot of the internet left.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think there are much more posters on here who didn't watch the video then people who did. While the video is too long, I can't help but see how there a surprising amount of people in here who are part of the mob she extensively references in the video. Nothing Natalie can do to fix things with them. And I seriously doubt this is even related to helping the people who actually felt hurt what she said in the past.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there are much more posters on here who didn't watch the video then people who did. While the video is too long, I can't help but see how there a surprising amount of people in here who are part of the mob she extensively references in the video. Nothing Natalie can do to fix things with them. And I seriously doubt this is even related to helping the people who actually felt hurt what she said in the past.
Nobody in this thread is doxxing/hurling abuse at Natalie or demanding that others denounce her.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Those bemoaning her being manipulative, do you believe her personal reaction to the public backlash to be unauthentic? My personal impression was that the contrast of her personal pain on the matter to the very direct moments of unmuddled apology where she agrees she is wrong lends to the authenticity of the apology.

I honestly don't find the apology authentic because her reaction to the criticism was mostly dismissiveness rather than an attempt to listen and mature. Or at least if this is the apology then I'd have been more receptive to it if she hadn't spent months digging in her heels. There's a significant difference between "I should have known better than to hold an opinion on here," vs. "I keep putting my foot in my mouth. I'm gonna take some time to work on this." Before this video she wasn't putting out any statements like the latter but she said the former almost verbatim.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
She shows authenticity in the videos themselves though and if her having unfettered Twitter access was necessary for her outreach to succeed, she wouldn't have handed over the reigns to someone else. You can be authentic without being completely unfiltered.

Agree with all of this. Twitter specifically is not the platform for her to use for that and I think she learned that the hard way. Pretty sure she agrees with you too in the video. Also why it's probably a smart move for her to continue moving away from it as she doesn't seem to have the control to compose her thoughts before sending a tweet. Her best form is when she spends a long time gestating ideas.

That said not sure how much longer she'll have the energy for even that when large chunks of her work (and even by proxy, the work of her peers) are being undermined by their smaller details.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Yep, it's really ironic to see people just keep on the mob mentality shit.

I saw people on twitter straight face calling people enbyphobes for even watching this video lol

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Listened through the vid.

It didn't feel as long as I expected, but I do feel like this is two videos in one. One of which is her contextualizing and apologizing for some of her comments and explaining why she didn't ostracize comments Buck Angel made (that being that she doesn't find it productive to cast him out and she does disagree with the comments he has made regarding identification (and providing some potential context)). Another of which is her trying to contextualize internet hate mobs (she is not saying everyone who criticized her is this).

And although I do this was a pretty big video...I also think I'm definitely missing a lot. Like, I'm starting to believe no issue like this can be done by one presenter or person in a structure video like this. It needs to be a conversation. And I feel like I'm missing out on potential context that NB figures who are clued in on the situation and know her work/her behavior well can provide.

And yeah I'm not convinced about the Lana thing really.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I mean she directly attacks pretty much every criticism head on and even apologizes for a number of things outright. But half of the people in this damn thread either stopped watching after 5 minutes or are just cultivating hot takes based on 3rd hand information from someone else who also probably only watched 5 minutes of the video.

Not sure what more people want from her honestly.
She literally tried to say that taking more than 5 seconds to google the easy to find story of how Buck outed Lana makes people look like transphobic facists. I wonder what more could people possibly want from her than that fucking gem right there. Not to mention her dismissiveness towards people's reasons for being upset with her when discussing all except two of her previous controveries, the easy ones to apologise on to seem like she's actually self reflecting when she clearly isn't
Those people want nothing from her. They only want to be in a perpetual state of self-righteousness and moral outrage.
lol the irony

Sep 12, 2018
Please don't lump those who are deeply uncertain about watching a new 100 minute video from someone who platformed a toxic asshole and then doubled down/deflected when criticised about it with doxxers/harassers, thanks.

Many of the responses in this thread are my exact problem with the rhetoric around "cancel culture", it just turns into "never criticize, never hold people to account, don't have standards"

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Have you considered the possibility that some of the people in this "mob" are the people that have felt hurt by the stuff she's said?

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
still working my way through. she's right that a lot of people literally don't give a shit about any kind of apology (but lol @ citing tweets with ~20 likes and 3 retweets), and she's also right it's super funny to see people who so strongly object to buck angel doing a voice over of a john waters be completely ambivalent about her actually platforming john waters

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
just finished watching it, its a good video, i have to think about it more, since its a very big video. But the part about empathy, mental health and calling people out got me thinking. Its a complex topic

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Those people want nothing from her. They only want to be in a perpetual state of self-righteousness and moral outrage.
As someone who isn't trans or NB and wasn't happy with Natalie's responses to Buck and other NB criticisms, no, all I'm doing is listening to see how those communities respond. I won't respond to the video until I have a chance to watch it, which may not be for a bit since 100 minutes is a big ask.

For all this bellyaching of performative wokeness by moderates, there's also an awful lot of performative centrism, where some leftist straw man is burned to mock the so-called Era hive mind.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Same faces who always dismissed the concerns in other threads to fawn over their favourite online personality continue to conflate those harrassing someone directly on twitter with those posting innocuously about things in a forum topic.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, same. This thread honestly kinda seems like a lot of binary people rushing to try and excuse her and that angle isn't surprising considering her platform and status among a lot of the internet left.

Didnt exactly want to say that at least not yet, however often there is alot of patting each other on the back when it comes to these sort of issues so im watching the video but as I said way more interested in the non binary opinions rather than some of the *yass queen* remarks I have been seeing in some twitter replies.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I honestly don't find the apology authentic because her reaction to the criticism was mostly dismissiveness rather than an attempt to listen and mature.

I'll have to give it a second watch but what I saw was:
Her reaction to some of the criticism was debate.
Her reaction to some of the criticism was full stop admittance and apology.
Her reaction to the personal contempt was dismiss, snark, sarcasm, along with a larger perspective the social uprising of mob ran personal attacks.

Do I personally believe she could have given more empathy and answered more humbly to those with personal attacks? Yes. Would I actually expect it? Weeell I would expect it a bit more from her (as someone trained in the ways of surviving public personal onslaught) than I would from the individuals attacking her to show the same empathy; however, these are all human people that are going to have reactions to being hurt. Her anecdote about the stream trigger is specifically about this.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are Natalie defenders really using the "Watch this long ass video to understand" defense that Jordan Peterson fans use? Really?

Do you not see the irony?

Also, congrats trying to claim that "not wanting to watch a video because reasons" = 'mob mentality"

Fucking clowns

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Are Natalie defenders really using the "Watch this long ass video to understand" defense that Jordan Peterson fans use? Really?

When I saw the runtime I knew these kinds of posts would come up.

Poor tactical planning on her part, but also someone equating her content to Jordan Peterson's (or any long form right winger) simply because of length is arguing in bad faith anyways.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Do you not see the irony?

Also, congrats trying to claim that "not wanting to watch a video because reasons" = 'mob mentality"

Fucking clowns

Can't say I agree with the mob mentality post, but yes, I think to understand the video, which is the topic of conversation here, you'd probably have to watch it.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
I can tell from the title this video is gonna blow up.

I hope she gives a better answer for t
[QUOTThatonedice1, post: 27888500, member: 17389"]
You know being a casual fan of contrapoints and popping into this thread and seeing people say things that she addresses in the video while watching the video is a pretty trippy experience. One thing the internet has really taken away from people is the ability to be human.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't finished watching everything yet, but she does address the remarks she made on twitter and said that she regretted some of the stuff she said., especially the "old-school transgender" comment. With Buck Angel, she does acknowledge that he has said suspect things such as saying that he is transexual instead of transgender, and that she disagrees with the distinction. Also, she states that it looks as if it seems like he wants to distance himself from non-binary people, and that it upsets her when he does so. However, it doesn't look like he is invalidating NBs to her. She also thinks that one cannot ignore his decades of trans-activism. But honestly though it would be better to hear from her words instead of my quick summary in case things get misinterpreted.

She starts discussing Buck Angel around 23:43-36:57 and her tweets around 39:48-53:07, and talks about past controversies involving her in 53:11-56:25. I would watch the whole video if you have the time to do so.

As a cis-person I don't have the right to say if this video alleviates concerns or not, and her comments about Buck Angel especially are not great, but this is just a quick summary of her response to her two biggest controversies.
Sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it too:

Buck Angel has been suspectly bigoted towards non binary people which sure that sucks, but he's still a super inspriing trand activist, oh and actually he's not bigoted against non binary people

Nat is so #brave

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
still working my way through. she's right that a lot of people literally don't give a shit about any kind of apology (but lol @ citing tweets with ~20 likes and 3 retweets), and she's also right it's super funny to see people who so strongly object to buck angel doing a voice over of a john waters be completely ambivalent about her actually platforming john waters

I'm afraid to ask, but what's going on with John Waters?

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Making a video about cancel culture in response to criticism ain't it chief.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
The idea that Natalie hated NB people always seemed crazy to me as someone who has watched her since the early days.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't say I agree with the mob mentality post, but yes, I think to understand the video, which is the topic of conversation here, you'd probably have to watch it.
Also believe that to appreciate the video and wider concerns you need to have understanding of the months-long wider context within which it's all sitting from a perspective other than Natalie's.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Sounds like she wants to have her cake and eat it too:

Buck Angel has been suspectly bigoted towards non binary people which sure that sucks, but he's still a super inspriing trand activist, oh and actually he's not bigoted against non binary people

Nat is so #brave
its even better than that, "hes not bigoted against non binary people, he just doesn't want to interact with them or even acknowledge their existence. Which is totally okay" was basically the messaging with the Buck apologia.