• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hard Corps: Uprising would have been my perfect Contra game if the artstyle was consistent with the rest of the series and didn't lay on the Guilty Gear style anime aesthetic too thick, but it is what it is, I suppose.
This. Character felt heavy too. Not my favorite Contra. It's behind Hard Corps, Rebirth and Contra 3 at least IMO
Contra: Housemarque Edition.

No one asked for this.

If this plays something like Nex Machina, it would be fantastic. They can keep those ugly finishers though.

Oh lawd this game is aiming for 30fps on consoles. With those graphics to boot.
[/QUOTE]

That's a problem.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The NWR impression is very negative.

2019 is also apparently the year of the warp, as certain enemies have to be stunned with a warp move (ZL) before hitting them with a unique finisher. Unlike pretty much every other Contra game I've ever played, you can't spam the fire button as the weapons will overheat. And when you have 25 enemies on screen at once, the weapons will overheat constantly and force you to run away for five seconds.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lawd this game is aiming for 30fps on consoles. With those graphics to boot.

Just get it on PC.

It can work well in many cases. Oddworld Soulstorm is one of the most impressive games I played at e3 and it's Unity.

Yeah, the main reason a bunch of Unity games run bad it's just because it's the go to engine for small/inexperienced devs. Look at something like Android Assault Cactus and it should be able to handle a hectic isometric shooter just fine.

Last edited:

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Overheating weapons did make me wary at first but there looks to be a lot of other ways to attack in this game to help with that. IIRC there was a melee, grabbing and chucking items/enemies themselves, super moves that also have cool downs, finishers that I think have AOE damage and a dash that I'm pretty sure has invulnerability frames on it to help maneuver too. the IGN footage I saw made the combat look pretty fluid and satisfying using all these attacks.

They also spoke about the upgrade system like it would put you down a pipeline that resembled the unlimited ammo spam of the old contra games the further down you got.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the main reason a bunch of Unity games run bad it's just because it's the go to engine for small/inexperienced devs. Look at something like Android Assault Cactus and it should be able to handle a hectic isometric shooter just fine.
Yeah well that's the thing.
As someone who tends to review games by small/inexperienced devs, I run into Unity all the time.

Games like Android Assault Cactus and Oddworld: Soulstorm come around once in a blue moon.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I'm sure it'll play fine, but it doesn't have the right tone for a Contra. The silly, over the top vibe is 100% different from Contra of old, where it was 80's/ 90's testosterone overload vs this silly meme-humor "look a...a..panda! With guns! isn't that crazy?". Contra Rebirth also had this weird insistence on being silly in its cut-scenes. It didn't work there either, but at least it was relegated to the cut-scenes and not the game itself. And indeed, the game being overhead is also not what I was hoping for for a new Contra. I have nothing against overhead shooters, I love them in fact, but you're calling yourself Contra and most Contra's have focused on being side-scrollers. Its just a weird choice for the return of Contra to simply not look and feel like Contra in most ways.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I dunno, I'm sure it'll play fine, but it doesn't have the right tone for a Contra. The silly, over the top vibe is 100% different from Contra of old, where it was 80's/ 90's testosterone overload vs this silly meme-humor "look a...a..panda! With guns! isn't that crazy?". Contra Rebirth also had this weird insistence on being silly in its cut-scenes. It didn't work there either, but at least it was relegated to the cut-scenes and not the game itself. And indeed, the game being overhead is also not what I was hoping for for a new Contra. I have nothing against overhead shooters, I love them in fact, but you're calling yourself Contra and most Contra's have focused on being side-scrollers. Its just a weird choice for the return of Contra to simply not look and feel like Contra in most ways.

If they wanted to do top down stuff they should have had the game switch on the fly between side scroller, top down (like the top down stages in Contra 3), and over the shoulder (like the base stages in Contra NES). Then they'd get that dynamic feel with the camera zooming around as the style changes throughout the level.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, Contra Hard Corps has a werewolf with a chaingun arm and an ending where you travel through time and become king of the monkeys. Anything post 3 is pretty silly and the series has experimented with different viewpoints before.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
They determined that the Contra series is most fondly remembered as a co-op experience, so they made a multiplayer-ass multiplayer game and picked the most appropriate format for the job. I don't care for it, but I do get it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Contra Hard Corps has a werewolf with a chaingun arm and an ending where you travel through time and become king of the monkeys. Anything post 3 is pretty silly and the series has experimented with different viewpoints before.
Sure, but this seems next-level silly. It just goes too far imo.