• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

I think this game has the potential to surprise people. It made by one of the people who did Contra 3. The gameplay reminds me of Shock Troopers a little bit but also Contra. Plus, you get to play as a panda.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Simple 2000: Contra: Rogue Corps

There, I fexed it every perception problem with this game.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I've seen more gameplay in a different vid and am pretty confident it's gonna be a good time. It looks like an evolution of Neo Contra gameplay-wise which is just fine with me, that game is great.

Realistically I didn't expect them to do another side scrolling run n gun after Hard Corps Uprising presumably bombed so bad, I never hear anyone talk about that game but it's amazing. I'm okay with this direction just, y'know... tighten up those graphics and we good.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Shock Troopers is one of my favorite games ever, so thats cool to hear. Its the graphics that sucks, the gameplay looks solid imo.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not much of a Contra fan so maybe my expectations are lower but I thought it looked really fun from what they showed.

Bobinator

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought we could instantly judge the worth of a game from a handful of unrelated clips from a minute long trailer!

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
I think it was partially the confusing editing, bitrate and the non-side-scrolling stigma that turned a lot of people off. Of course, not a lot of people played Neo Contra.

With the way Konami's pushing it(arcade cabinet kiosk!) and touting the producer of Contra III, this is likely gonna be more than a Metal Gear Survive-like cash grab.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is looking like a Bomberman R kind of case. Lower budget Konami IP given to passionate devs and they're trying to do their best with it.

May not be the best thing in the world, but looks fun enough to me. Hopefully it's good.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought the trailer looked good for what it was. Certainly showed some fun gameplay even if not the prettiest.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen more gameplay in a different vid and am pretty confident it's gonna be a good time. It looks like an evolution of Neo Contra gameplay-wise which is just fine with me, that game is great.

Realistically I didn't expect them to do another side scrolling run n gun after Hard Corps Uprising presumably bombed so bad, I never hear anyone talk about that game but it's amazing. I'm okay with this direction just, y'know... tighten up those graphics and we good.

Honestly, it makes me happy whenever anyone mentions it. Uprising is so fucking good (despite having a stupid monetization model).

Personally, I think it is the best Contra game. It is an absolutely gem. Uprising is definitely just waiting to be "discovered". When people start pawing through the PS3 collection years from now (once it is fully considered "retro"), it is going to be one of those unappreciated gems that people get excited about.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
That's good to hear- it looked like ass, but I dig the characters. If it feels good to play, I could see myself having a pretty good time with it.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
The Switch trailer looked way worse than the others, but it was the headliner. A bit unfair, but eh.

I don't particularily want buckets of useless swearing in my Contra, but I gues this kind of stuff should appeal to those who enjoyed the Devolver Digital E3 panel, or things of that ilk.

I see no reason why it couldn't be as fun as the various PS system games. I'm also glad to see some of Konami's producers and such active on some projects again.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Honestly, it makes me happy whenever anyone mentions it. Uprising is so fucking good (despite having a stupid monetization model).

Personally, I think it is the best Contra game. It is an absolutely gem. Uprising is definitely just waiting to be "discovered". When people start pawing through the PS3 collection years from now (once it is fully considered "retro"), it is going to be one of those unappreciated gems that people get excited about.
100% agreed.

If there's anyone out there wishing someone would just make a balls to wall incredible run n gun in the vein of Contra alien wars and hard corps, hard corps uprising is your unsung hero.

Just judging from my two play throughs with bahamut and sayuki(? Samurai) Contra could not have been given a better shot at new life with imo. I couldn't tell you why it didn't succeed but it's hard to believe it was due to the actual game itself, it's more or less all I could have asked for a modern contra.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Uprising would have done better if they didn't exclude the word "Contra" from the title, just a thought.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Classic Contra: Sly and Arnie vs Aliens

Direct sequel: Play as a Panda and an Alien in a top down game?

Like, makes more sense as a spinoff like Hard Corps sequel it's a team of four weirdos including Poochie variations, not the actual main characters.

At least the music seems a bit more action movie instead of the edgelord nu-metal of the horrificly ugly PS2 games.

EternalWolf

May 20, 2018

The physical copy has either reversible cover art or additional art on the inside over the cover done by the guy who drew these covers...

wpa7f94697_06.jpg
turtles-4-turtles-in-time-snes-big.jpg
contraiiithealienwarssnesbig.jpg

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Uprising is a f***ing masterpiece, only quite lacks the amazing Shattered Soldier mood and soundtrack (the latter is good, very good but no Yamaoka god-tier level).

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't think the gameplay would be too bad to begin with and I definitely respect it going wackier and more stylish but holy fuck does this game look like total ass. I know it's common gamer hyperbole to say "it looks like a PS2 game", but this literally looks like a PS2 game that Konami sat on for 15 years. Every time I look at the fucking panda the first thing that comes to mind is Panda from Tekken 5.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
That's good, cause visually it looks like Konami couldn't even spring for the cheapest paid Unity/UE assets they could flip, they just Googled free shit and Frankensteined it together.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I enjoyed Hard Corps: Uprising as much as rest of you guys, but my main issue with the game was the aesthetic. I typically associate Contra from its gritty comic style along the lines of Contra 3 and 4 as well as Contra ReBirth with 90's Action Movie style along the lines of Rambo or Commando. It's just something I've always associated with the Contra series since it's origins. Heck Shattered Soldier managed to maintain this, although that game was Metal as all hell, but not entirely a bad thing.

Hard Corps: Uprising would have been my perfect Contra game if the artstyle was consistent with the rest of the series and didn't lay on the Guilty Gear style anime aesthetic too thick, but it is what it is, I suppose.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. I really want this game to be good and do well so we can get more classic Konami franchises. The characters other than the buff dude are quite silly and off-putting, though.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I enjoyed Hard Corps: Uprising as much as rest of you guys, but my main issue with the game was the aesthetic. I typically associate Contra from its gritty comic style along the lines of Contra 3 and 4 as well as Contra ReBirth with 90's Action Movie style along the lines of Rambo or Commando. It's just something I've always associated with the Contra series since it's origins. Heck Shattered Soldier managed to maintain this, although that game was Metal as all hell, but not entirely a bad thing.

Hard Corps: Uprising would have been my perfect Contra game if the artstyle was consistent with the rest of the series and didn't lay on the Guilty Gear style anime aesthetic too thick, but it is what it is, I suppose.

Yeah, Shattered Soldier aesthetics are unrivalled, among the truly most fascinating ever.

Kaworu

Oct 28, 2017
Do we know who is developing this? Internally developed plus Hexadrive like Super Bomberman R?

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018

I'm with you there, it took a few hours to get over how much the characters just didn't look at all like Contra. I love Ishiwatari's style for GG but yeah it missed the mark. The game is just so good I'd forgiven it completely tho.

In terms of aesthetics the genesis Contra Hard Corps is king for me and Rogue Corps looks like it's trying to go that route. Crossing my fingers for some good remixes!

Also crossing my fingers this won't be the third Contra 'corps' game to get overlooked for one reason or another. 😂 🔫

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I am a tremendous Contra fan, so I will give this game the benefit of the doubt, but I will not lie: this is not what I was hoping for in another Contra game. The top-down perspective, and swearing are not to my taste, and are big turn-offs.

At least they didn't go with the truly offensive anime 2D/3D visuals found in the horrendous Hard Corps Uprising. No way this new game is worse than that awful shit.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I enjoyed Hard Corps: Uprising as much as rest of you guys, but my main issue with the game was the aesthetic. I typically associate Contra from its gritty comic style along the lines of Contra 3 and 4 as well as Contra ReBirth with 90's Action Movie style along the lines of Rambo or Commando.
This isn't something personal, that literally is the Contra aesthetic. With big melodic Rambo style action movie soundtrack (only really done justice in Contra Spirits). Followed to a T by Contra, Super Contra, Contra Spirits and Operation C and was returned to in Contra 4 after a bunch of missteps.

It's just something I've always associated with the Contra series since it's origins. Heck Shattered Soldier managed to maintain this, although that game was Metal as all hell, but not entirely a bad thing.
Shattered Soldier really does not maintain the look, it's all 2002 edgelord teen nu metal by way of Cronenberg.

I really have no idea why people like it, it looks absolutely horrible, with such a shit aesthetic, z-grade animation and also messed with the gameplay formula far too much with crap fixed weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
Look, guys, can we go past the fact that they turned the normal mapping amount slider to 11 and just appreciate the fact that you can play a gentleman Alien blob, a girl with a sword in her symbitoic alien midriff, and a fucking CYBERNETIC PANDA, please?

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I liked Neo Contra, so I'm down for this.

I have to say though, the graphics look like they're missing a layer of detail. Like Playstation home when your characters looked like playdoh people until the good graphics finally loaded in. Is it missing lighting or textures? Just looks off in that way.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I will admit I thought the sequences in the reveal trailer with the giant robot boss crawling to the camera looked right up my street. I'm open-minded about it, we'll see how it pans out.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
We'll see. I don't hate Neo Contra but I'm just not interested in another top-down entry.
Still, if it reviews okay (not asking for the moon there, but at the very least in the 6.5 - 7 range) then I might check it out.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

Yeah, i bought the game but HCU is more anime than its ever looked and it may have turned off alot of folks because of it. Hard Corps for genesis was anime too but it had the early 90's cyberpunk asthetic that didn't really change the look of the game too much from other titles in the series.