• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm right with Jim on this one. If this is the kind of shit Konami is going to peddle I've rather they stick to their pachinko and out of the games industry. Its just embarassing seeing a once beloved franchise brought so low.

www.youtube.com

Contra: Rogue Corps - Fucking Embarrassing (Jimpressions)

http://www.patreon.com/jimquisitionhttp://www.thejimquisition.comhttps://www.thejimporium.comIt's almost impressive just how wrong this game is. As a Contra ...

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
If I was jim I would do my usual big intro, than my usual long ending and then just record me saying very slowly "overheating in a contra game"

May 18, 2018
I had no idea this game existed until this morning. Downloaded the demo and I would like to go back to not knowing it exists again.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I never thought the game looked too bad, but jim putting it in the perspective of comparing it to other contra games makes you go "yeah, they fucked up", the game seems more like an unofficial sequel to Cannon Spike tho, so if you judge it as such it doesn't seem too bad.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Konami should be ashamed of this game. They even had the main guy behind Contra and the game still is a turd. I mean so many people have been asking for a return to form for Contra, something in line with Shattered Soldier, but with a next gen Contra feel.

Imagine how good a 2D Contra game would be with incredible set piece action and gameplay. Such a shame really, all it would take is them to listen to the fans and deliver on what most people want.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned - Thread Whining
Why does every single Jim Sterling video get it's own thread?? There should just be a dedicated Jim Sterling thread at this point.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
It can sometimes be hard to decide if a particular aspect of a game is really as bad as Jim says it is... I mean, the overheating issue could just be another case of the reviewer's sheer incompetence like in the case of BotW's degradable weapons criticism. But once he finally let go of that and got to the other issues, it really did seem like the whole package might actually be quite problematic.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It can sometimes be hard to decide if a particular aspect of a game is really as bad as Jim says it is... I mean, the overheating issue could just be another case of the reviewer's sheer incompetence like in the case of BotW's degradable weapons criticism. But once he finally let go of that and got to the other issues, it really did seem like the whole package might actually be quite problematic.
Someones opinion is not incompetence. The botw weapons suck ass.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does every single Jim Sterling video get it's own thread?? There should just be a dedicated Jim Sterling thread at this point.

Why does every Jim Sterling thread gets its own whining? There should just be a dedicated hate thread at this point.

OT - i watched a video of this game the other day and legit thought it was a joke for a bit there.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
Konami is so fucking bizarre. Why bring back Contra for such a half-assed effort? I would honestly prefer them just not make games at all than shit like this or Metal Gear Survive.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
I wanted to hope this game would be ok in the end (i dont care that much about visuals) but that isnt the case. So instead of purchasing this game have there been any other good contra/ metal slug style games released the last few years besides blazing chrome? I might just pick up a few of those instead.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The Dudebro looks like someone used machine learning to create a character after feeding it PS360 era protags. Hell he looks like he even has Spencer's gun wife.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Imagine how good a 2D Contra game would be with incredible set piece action and gameplay. Such a shame really, all it would take is them to listen to the fans and deliver on what most people want.

Have you played Blazing Chrome?

I mean, the overheating issue could just be another case of the reviewer's sheer incompetence like in the case of BotW's degradable weapons criticism.

The problem is that overheating goes against the core of what a Contra game should be. Like they understanded so little that the spread gun is a temporary power up

I wanted to hope this game would be ok in the end (i dont care that much about visuals) but that isnt the case. So instead of purchasing this game have there been any other good contra/ metal slug style games released the last few years besides blazing chrome? I might just pick up a few of those instead.

I can only think of games that have contra as one of the ingredients in the mix, like Mechstermination Force (contra but boss focused)

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Someones opinion is not incompetence. The botw weapons suck ass.
Let me just say that if you play a game that is all about creatively approaching problems, and you get annoyed at the game because of the least demanding problem in it (because weapons are literally everywhere, unless you are, yes, incompetent and waste them all by using them on walls or something - and even then it's not really that much of an issue, is it), then perhaps the game is not for you, but it says nothing about the game's quality and your opinion gives no relevant information about the game to others, which should be what a review is for.
So, yeah. Whenever Jim complains about something in a game and doesn't really explain it much further, I do tend to question that complaint's relevance.

The problem is that overheating goes against the core of what a Contra game should be. Like they understanded so little that the spread gun is a temporary power up

I did get that, my problem was that I wasn't able to recognise if Jim was talking about a badly implemented mechanic there, or was merely complaining about the game not feeling like a Contra game for five minutes.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
The game looks like garbage, but I gotta say, saying stuff like "cold cum pile" is pretty fucking embarrassing too.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
The Switch demo looks like absolute shit. Extremely blurry and just awful art direction.
It doesn't look any better on PS4. Honestly it might look arguably worse as a lot of the blur hides just how ugly the art really is..

I cannot believe this is a retail game from a major publisher released in 2019. This looks like acceptable for an early Xbox 360 Arcade game. Maybe. It looks on par with Bomberman Zero so that's about right

Hard Corps Uprising looks about 10x better and that was released 8 years ago on last gen consoles.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I've long since accepted Contra 4 and Hard Corps: Uprising as the last good Contra games we'll ever get.
Konami should be ashamed of this game. They even had the main guy behind Contra and the game still is a turd. I mean so many people have been asking for a return to form for Contra, something in line with Shattered Soldier, but with a next gen Contra feel.

Not all that surprising that bringing back the old talent didn't guarantee anything. Arc System Works brought back the original director, character designer, and composer for Double Dragon IV and yet none of that resulted in a good game, WayForward's work on Double Dragon Neon having turned out significantly better (and may just remain the last good game from that franchise, too).

Last edited:

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
This game looks like someone at Konami was having a clear out and found a cart labelled "Super Contra 64" and decided to release it 20 years too late.

Molto

Oct 27, 2017
We wanted Konami to come back to making games.

Wish granted.
giphy.gif

Why does it legit look like a PS2 game? Like I get that it was probably made for dirt cheap by Konami's standards, but even indie devs make better looking games.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Many times when Jim Sterling really hates a game, I end up loving it... but I think I might just trust him on this one.

Aug 12, 2019
Let me just say that if you play a game that is all about creatively approaching problems, and you get annoyed at the game because of the least demanding problem in it (because weapons are literally everywhere, unless you are, yes, incompetent and waste them all by using them on walls or something - and even then it's not really that much of an issue, is it), then perhaps the game is not for you, but it says nothing about the game's quality and your opinion gives no relevant information about the game to others, which should be what a review is for.
So, yeah. Whenever Jim complains about something in a game and doesn't really explain it much further, I do tend to question that complaint's relevance.

I did get that, my problem was that I wasn't able to recognise if Jim was talking about a badly implemented mechanic there, or was merely complaining about the game not feeling like a Contra game for five minutes.

I didn't have problems with the BOTW weapon breaking mechanic myself, but it's entirely a valid criticism of something if it doesn't suit you. Reviews of video games in particular can really only be objective up to the point of, "Does this product play without technical issues" and then it's all pretty much subjective analysis that varies wildly from writer to writer. And it's easier to get stuck in bad situations than you're implying in BOTW too, and while creative problem solving can get you through some of those, it isn't always super viable or even necessarily fun to find a way to end those encounters. Reviews are subjective analysis written from a specific writer's voice, and their value comes in telling you the consumer how they reacted to the game. I'd also argue one of BOTW's main components is specifically not telling you how to play it and letting you go at your preferred pace and with your preferred approach, so I'm not sure I really align with your idea that it is "all about creatively approaching problems" as much as it is giving you options to solve problems. Again, different people will have different reactions to those systems, and if it doesn't please someone how BOTW works, then that's fair. Especially when coming from Jim Sterling who has one of the more distinctive voices for criticism in the industry.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too much hubris around this game. It seems like a harmless 6-7, it is just badly priced.

The steam version should fix some of the optimization issues.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's terrible and a disrespect to the brand.

I cannot understand why Konami just released it like that, any of it, it's written bomb all over it.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This game looks like absolute dogshit. I wish there was a more eloquent way to describe the game's look but I can't find anything more suitable than dogshit, sorry.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I cracked up at the end when he talked about the season pass, damn this game looks terrible.

Contra hasn't been around for years, pretty much just more good Contra would have made a lot of fans happy. It's not like it's been an annual series that burned out it's welcome or anything.

And that excuse about not being able to shoot up...what? I can understand some weapons being more effective against flying enemies but that whole lock on description sounds weird.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Like I am watching PS4 Pro footage and the game is so blurry. What resolution is the game running at?

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
It's terrible and a disrespect to the brand.

I cannot understand why Konami just released it like that, any of it, it's written bomb all over it.

Cash grab, if I'm guessing. They know those kids just love nostalgia Contra, so they cranked something out that looks like minimal effort (120p!) and left it at that.

Konami is all about making money, as any business is, and has every right to be. But doing so by cranking what's clearly bad product is lame and low class.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't look any better on PS4. Honestly it might look arguably worse as a lot of the blur hides just how ugly the art really is..

I cannot believe this is a retail game from a major publisher released in 2019. This looks like acceptable for an early Xbox 360 Arcade game. Maybe. It looks on par with Bomberman Zero so that's about right

Hard Corps Uprising looks about 10x better and that was released 8 years ago on last gen consoles.
And they want 45 USD for it in my country. They cray crayz

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I thought I read good things/previews about this game? Could I be confusing it with another "contra" type game that is more of a spiritual successor?

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cash grab, if I'm guessing. They know those kids just love nostalgia Contra, so they cranked something out that looks like minimal effort (120p!) and left it at that.

Konami is all about making money, as any business is, and has every right to be. But doing so by cranking what's clearly bad product is lame and low class.
Honestly, it could even be native 4K on Switch, it would still be a miserable, tedious and frustrating experience. The higher resolution wouldn't even be that flattering, look at those flat, compressed textures everywhere.

Also I learned that it's 30fps on PS4 (and Pro) too, what the fuck lol.

This shit weapon cooldown paired with a Single Player campaign that can't be played in co-op feels like a very pronounced middle finger to the whole Contra fanbase. This game is a disgusting, uncomprehensive mess.

Last edited:

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't have problems with the BOTW weapon breaking mechanic myself, but it's entirely a valid criticism of something if it doesn't suit you. Reviews of video games in particular can really only be objective up to the point of, "Does this product play without technical issues" and then it's all pretty much subjective analysis that varies wildly from writer to writer. And it's easier to get stuck in bad situations than you're implying in BOTW too, and while creative problem solving can get you through some of those, it isn't always super viable or even necessarily fun to find a way to end those encounters. Reviews are subjective analysis written from a specific writer's voice, and their value comes in telling you the consumer how they reacted to the game. I'd also argue one of BOTW's main components is specifically not telling you how to play it and letting you go at your preferred pace and with your preferred approach, so I'm not sure I really align with your idea that it is "all about creatively approaching problems" as much as it is giving you options to solve problems. Again, different people will have different reactions to those systems, and if it doesn't please someone how BOTW works, then that's fair. Especially when coming from Jim Sterling who has one of the more distinctive voices for criticism in the industry.
I'm not saying you can't dislike it. I'm saying you should make a distinction between something that's badly implemented and something that doesn't fit your preferences. A good reviewer should be able to tell those two apart, and communicate it towards the audience. And for the record, I am not saying Jim is a bad reviewer, I'm saying that sometimes he just doesn't give a shit and says stuff or exaggerates for fun, or to make a point of people taking that stuff too seriously.