• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
that's a very fine collection, especially the probotector part. hopefully they make it 60hz. just need a physical release now.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
How is the arcade version of Contra? The art style is awful.
I've only played through them single player so keep that in mind; they are really good through the first and mostly latter portions but as they get near the end the difficulty becomes unfairly brutal, especially Super Contra. Definitely worth a playthrough to experience the NES counterparts in 16 bit for the music as well as the graphics.

Shame that some parts of Super Contra won't look nearly as good without shaders meant to emulate the crt look like MAME/Retroarch have achieved:
1zXsVbp.jpg

9KaL1Y7.jpg

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They should have included C4 and ReBirth, which are both more forgiving and fun compared to the dark ages that came after Legacy of War. I'd rather play those than Uprising too.

Neo and Shattered Soldier are overrated and barely acceptable as drink coasters on my coffee table.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Weird that we only technically get 7 games over 8, and only having two of the probotectors instead of the NES/GB ones is odd. What point is there in Probotector SNES or Genesis if it's just a sprite hack? Might as well include all of them.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
These are great games but just played them too many times. Same with Castlevania hopefully we get another collection with the rest of the games it would interest me more currently

Oct 27, 2017
What's with all the Contra Force hate? It's decent, but not horrible like Legacy of War.

Sooooooo glad that the NES Contras are included. Wonder if the Famicom one will be translated. Also, kinda shocked that the NES and GB versions of Probotector aren't included, seeing how we're receiving every other variant of those games.

Plus, I doubt the colorized version of Operation C is in, given the Game Boy games from the Castlevania set. It still boggles my mind that they have the damned Super Game Boy palette in there, but not a fully colored one.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they didn't just toss in Contra Force if they wanted to pad the list, Probotectors should be region variants not slot-fillers.

Also should we be grateful they didn't include the GBA port of Alien Wars that cribbed stages and bosses from Hard Corps?

Remake Contra 4 you goddamn cowards.
That'll be tough, dual-screen grappling hook mechanic was a big part of that game.
Why not a Contra Mania instead?
The title "Super C" always makes me lol because it is the same name as a chain of supermarkets over here.
Still not really sure why they stopped using the c-word after Super Contra in the arcades, instead we got Super C and Operation C before going back to it with Contra Force and Contra III.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
So it's actually only seven games:
  1. Contra (Arcade)
  2. Contra (Famicom)
  3. Super Contra (Arcade)
  4. Super Contra (Famicom)
  5. Contra Spirits (Super Famicom)
  6. Contra (Game Boy)
  7. Contra: The Hard Corps (Mega Drive)
And some regional variants of each.

And it is very odd regarding Probotector. Why bother with the Mega Drive and SNES Probotectors, but not the NES and Game Boy ones?

All Probotector games are essentially the US version of Contra just with robots for sprites. The only one with PAL adjustment is Probotector II: The Evil Forces on NES, which has the music adjusted.

Also why does the Japanese collection
https://twitter.com/KONAMI573ch/status/1133916011336331264
Use a US-only art asset?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Which version of Operation C is it gonna be? The one that came with Konami Game Boy Collection Vol.1 in EU has a (questionable) color palette for Game Boy Color and the title screen says Probotector despite not having the robots.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Which version of Operation C is it gonna be? The one that came with Konami Game Boy Collection Vol.1 in EU has a (questionable) color palette for Game Boy Color and the title screen says Probotector despite not having the robots.
A very odd release that one.

The regional changes between Contra GB (the original Japanese name) versions are small.

The Japanese version has a level select by default
The US version you need to use the Konami code to access the level select
The original PAL version is the US version except with robot sprites, and you need to use the Konami code to access the level select

The GB Collection version has two versions two
The Japanese version with Super Game Boy Support, with a border and custom palette.
The PAL version (not just EU, it was released in Australia/NZ too) with Game Boy Color palette. It's the Japanese version of the game (with level select), just with Probotector hacked into the title screen.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
The Return of the King.
I'm buying this collection only because of Contra: Hard Corps.
Peak Konami.

The branching paths idea introduced in Hard Corps was a cool gimmick lending itself well to replayability. If you don't choose to chase after Deadeye Joe after the first encounter he continues to antagonize you throughout the game but you end up missing out on one of the unique stages and that epic highway running battle as shown in the gif.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
For completeness sakes I would have wanted this, but watching how slow this looks, realistically I'd never really want to play it.

Is it really this slow? Or is it just some weird thing where all Contras look that slow but my mind remembers them being so much faster?
It was originally not a Contra game, and it's not a finished game, it clearly hadn't had a final run of polish, likely because it wasn't even released in Japan but dropped only in the US for the late gen (post SNES) NES buyers.

Still, it had some influence on the series. Hard Corps, the next non-numbered 'spinoff' game, took the idea of a separate team (not the main Contra characters) of four selectable characters, with a plot featuring domestic terrorists instead of alien invasion. Hard Cops drops the traditional Contra overhead stages (included in Super Contra, Spirits and Operation C), while Contra Force focuses on them.

It really should have been included though, it's not the worst game ever. I mean the Castlevania set even has a literal non-Castlevania game.

Last edited:

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Yeah, Contra Force isn't the greatest, but I was hoping it would be included for the sake of completeness too. It seems unlikely that it would be included separate from the other NES titles with any hypothetical second Contra collection in the future.

Apr 19, 2018
I'm late with hearing the news, but I'm largely satisfied with this collection. I can give or take Hard Corps, and while no Shattered Soldier or Contra 4 is a shame , I'm ectastic we're getting NES Contra and Super C Arcade, two of my personal faves.

Is M2 handling this port as well? And are we getting Switch Tate modes too?

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Are people joking about Contra Force? I was
Game sucks, has slowdown all over the place and plays nothing like the other Contra games. It's not even a real Contra game. They just slapped the Contra name on it here for marketing purposes. It's basically Doki Doki Panic but shit

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I was hoping to see the PS2 games , which were excellent. Or at least those horrible PS1 titles. Having diferent versions is like overkill, but i'm don't have to much knowledge, do they change a lot?

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
On the Eshop for 19.99.

-Contra Arcade
-Super Contra
-Contra NA
-Contra JP
-Super C
-Contra III: The Alien Wars
-Operation C
-Contra Hard Corps
-Super Probotector Alien Rebels
-Probotector

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These games are insanely hard to play with the controller options on the Switch. Too bad they released a NES controller that only works with NES games, but even then only a fraction of the NES games available on the system. I really should have bought this on pc.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Been putting time into the Switch version, managed to clear Contra (arcade, easy) with only continuing a couple of times. Which for me is pretty good. Its more relentless than the NES version, but I love that they included a variety of versions in the collection.
Speaking of the NES version, after some bad starts with the two bases, just cleared a run on it, 1CC! No continues, no cheats, but a lot of spread shot and machine gun! This collection was worth it just for this alone (and knowing I've got Super C, Contra 3 and Hard Corps to go... awesome!)

Really pleased with these Konami collections. They have a lot of missing games that can be included in future line ups, but what is included has been getting lots of playtime by me in the last month or two. Hoping that we at least see another Castlevania collection.

RobFox64tm

Oct 30, 2017
These games are insanely hard to play with the controller options on the Switch. Too bad they released a NES controller that only works with NES games, but even then only a fraction of the NES games available on the system. I really should have bought this on pc.
Pretty sure those NES controllers do work with this and the Castlevania collection just fine. They're basically joy cons, so I'm not sure where you got the idea they're limited use.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Surprised they didn't just toss in Contra Force if they wanted to pad the list, Probotectors should be region variants not slot-fillers.
Yeah, pretty odd.

That'll be tough, dual-screen grappling hook mechanic was a big part of that game.
Why not a Contra Mania instead?
Contra 4 was the original 'Mania'. A sequel made by fans of the original game that understood the original formula, style (80s action movie with Goldsmith-esque score) and appeal more than the actual company efforts for many many years.

Still not really sure why they stopped using the c-word after Super Contra in the arcades, instead we got Super C and Operation C before going back to it with Contra Force and Contra III.
Contra was released in February 1987.

Soon after that, the word became associated with scandal via the Iran-Contra affair, where the Reagan Administration sold arms to Iran to illegally fund a Nicaraguan terrorist group which Congress had banned.

Most people assume they retired/hid the 'C' word for a bit due to that.