• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's nice, but I would've liked Shattered Soldier in this one at least.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's a better list than I expected. The variants are nice but its a pity that some games take up separate slots that could have been used for other games. Still, the CV and arcade collections have been excellent so day 1.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Wow that's a lot of Contra. Hopefully the Probotector games won't be at 50 Hz if they can avoid it. And hopefully Contra Hard Corps US has the option for the health bar and unlimited continues.

Either way, I'm in.

Mar 5, 2019
Since both this and the Castlevania collection don't go past the 16 bit era, it's not out of the question that they'll do a second collection for each. It wouldn't surprise me if they think they can get away with a collection with less games if they're current and in 3D.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who is more of a Castlevania fan than Contra fan (and who is more a fan of the classic whip CV games rather than the SOTN-style games) I think this collection has more absolute bangers on it than the CV collection. Operation C is the only one I look at where I appreciate its inclusion from a preservation standpoint but it's not a game I want to revisit. The rest of these are fantastic!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
F8A16E1FEF11523CF4DE795D30358C5AAEC72B66
giphy.gif

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Where's my Gryzor?

It's so weird how contra was handled here in Europe. It took me a while to realise this was the same game.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Lack of 4 and Rebirth is sad but great collection still. Bought.

Yeah but that means the next collection could potentially be: Hard Corps Uprising, Neo Contra, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Contra 4 and Contra Rebirth. Certainly some flawed games in there but I think a pretty solid lineup overall.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Good collection. Would've really wanted 4 and I was already prepared that there would be no Shattered Soldier but this will do.

Nov 2, 2017
As a somewhat casual "classic" fan of both Contra and Castlevania, I'm very impressed with both collections' lineups.

Plan to pick up both this summer. Still need convincing on their Arcade Collection though.

(I do love both PS2 Contras but was anticipating these collections to be 8- and 16-bit only.)

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
why doesn't konami put the DS games in the collection? i wanted contra 4
same with the castlevania collection

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Not a super big fan of this, to be honest. Like, having the 8-bit and 16 bit versions of Contra is cool, but you effectively have the NES and Famicom versions, too. There's no reason for the NES version.

Disagree. If there was no NES version of Contra, I wouldn't be buying it. For me the NES Contra is Contra.

Including the European versions also seems like padding. Much like the Castlevania collection, including more recent entries like ReBirth and Hard Corps Uprising would have been sweeter than the European version of Hard Corps and Alien Wars.

This I agree with, but of course I'm American and not European, so these versions mean nothing to me. I'd trade them in for any newer entry.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. If there was no NES version of Contra, I wouldn't be buying it. For me the NES Contra is Contra.

The Famicom version, unless I'm mistaken, is just the NES version but with cutscenes and the story not being removed. The NES version, much like Dracula's Curse in the Castlevania collection, is actually a step down in terms of presentation.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
This is an incredibly good list. It's only missing Shattered Soldier to make it into perfection, but Konami put up a very nice collection here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Wasnt expecting Contra 4 tbh because it would require a significant amount of work to make it work on a single screen when the game was designed to be played on a dual screen handheld. But it hits all the notes it should and has all the games it should excluding contra re-birth for some reason. Contra re-birth and hard corps uprising are the bigger omissions I feel.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The Famicom version, unless I'm mistaken, is just the NES version but with cutscenes and the story not being removed. The NES version, much like Dracula's Curse in the Castlevania collection, is actually a step down in terms of presentation.

But it's the one I grew up with for the last 30 years, and that's what matters to me.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
japanese version of hard corps is a must. i still dont know why they removed the energy bar from the western versions.
The common explanation for this sort of change is that games in the late 80s and early 90s were often made more difficult in America due to the rental market. Game rentals were illegal in Japan but not America, so the American branches of some companies would insist on adjusting their games so that they would be too difficult to beat on a single rental.

Sega was very much one of those companies. Games like Dynamite Headdy and Streets of Rage 3 were significantly more difficult than their Japanese originals, as were the original games out of their American branch, like Eternal Champions.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
No Contra 4 is a big miss. Also, do those in the US get the Japanese version of Hard Corps as an option? The US version is much MUCH more difficult.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I'm overall happy with this collection but the number of repeats to get it up to 8 titles is pretty disappointing.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The Famicom version, unless I'm mistaken, is just the NES version but with cutscenes and the story not being removed.

There are also various additional graphical effects in the Famicom vesion, moving trees etc, which is neat.

Also, in a reversal of the usual "Action game is made harder in the US" cliche, the Famicom version actually starts on a slightly harder setting in the first game. (Both versions get increasingly more difficult with every subsequent playthrough.)

Now you know! (Though to be honest, the difficulty difference between both regions is barely noticable.)

joedick

Mar 19, 2018

I'd be surprised if it wasn't with all the variants included.

I get why Contra 4, Rebirth, etc aren't in, this is clearly an 8 & 16-bit collection. But why not add the GB version of Alien Wars & Contra Force (yes, I know it wasn't originally a Contra game)? This is essentially 7 games (if you don't count regional versions) vs 8 for Castlevania and Arcade collections. Still great value for the money though.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The title "Super C" always makes me lol because it is the same name as a chain of supermarkets over here.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Lineup for the collection looks really solid. Too bad Contra Rebirth wasn't included (from Wiiware) which M2 made so kinda surprised they didn't include it. Also would have been cool to see a few oddities like the MSX version of Contra. One big plus is getting a lifebar on the Japanese version of Hard Corps.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They keep forgetting the Rebirth games which is really the most important games those collections should have. Such a shame.

I replayed through Castlevania Adventure Rebirth last week and it is a genuinely top-tier CV game that didn't deserve to die on WiiWare, and neither did the other two.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
8 Contra games spanning 5 different systems with their japanese counterparts. I really can't find the room to complain at all here assuming this is also an M2 project.

These collections really are about the classics so these all deserve to be there.
A second collection with Contra ReBirth, Shattered Soldier, Neo Contra and most importantly Hard Corps Uprising would be ideal. Unless they reformat 4 to take care of the screen gap I wouldn't really be interested in playing it again and I don't see them going that far for it but maybe?