• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Since 2007 they've been running this MMO that's not based on the movies which arguably made the franchise popular in the 2000s, but instead on the books and thus it has a rather fan-made aesthetic imo

Somehow it lives on while I have no way on modern systems to play my Matrix favorites including Enter the Matrix and of course The Matrix Online.

Undeniably one of my favorite gaming experiences to this day however, is Star Wars Galaxies before the Combat Upgrade and the later New Game Enhancements. It was shut off 5 days before The Inferior Republic launched.

This one had (maybe still has?) some emulators to play it online still but I no longer have a PC.

Just makes me think back on MMOs and their heyday. They seem less ubiquitous now, and largely are dominated by World of Warcraft or FFXIV.

Cheers to the ones that have lasted so long. I wonder if they'll ever get nice graphics.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
City Of Heroes got a resurgence, and is now back up after dying since it had it's source code leaked.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars Galaxies is the biggest tragedy in MMO gaming.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Galaxies, prior to the "let's be more like WoW" redesign was a strange fucking game. Like AFKing as a cantina dancer all day to farm profession experience to somehow eventually become a Jedi. Weird shit.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
At least Star Trek Online is still alive.

Edit: Actually, I guess Star Wars: The Old Republic is old enough to qualify here too. It's deepy flawed but dang it I love it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm always pleasantly surprised that Star Trek Online is still soldiering on.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
You know what though, at least you can still play Star Wars Galaxies through fan servers.

That's how I've been slowly getting into the game, never got a chance to play it as a kid.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
But Lord of the Rings Online was actually good, at least back then. It's the MMO I've played the most, though I haven't touched it for years. They did a really good job with the lore and managed to tell a seriously compelling story in MMO-format, which, at least for me, was unheard of at the time.

I guess the playerbase is large enough that it makes economic sense to just let the servers keep running these days.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
City Of Heroes got a resurgence, and is now back up after dying since it had it's source code leaked.

I keep thinking about making a thread on this. Would love to join in on an ERA supergroup. I'm on Indomitable if anyone wants to play! It still holds up and there is so much new content it almost feels like a new game to me.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The matrix online was great. Took part in a live event once and was really impressed. I miss that game. MMO's are so fucking soulless anymore

May 10, 2019
LOTRO's world is really well designed with regards to Tolkien lore. I keep thinking I'm gonna come back to it someday after I mostly went sour on MMOs when City of Heroes shut down, but I'm also constantly worried that as soon as I do, Amazon will power play to have it shut down in favor of their own Lord of The Rings MMO.

Oct 27, 2017
There are far too few mmo discussions on this forum, probably because it's been a terrible decade for fans of the genre...

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
LOTRO's world is really well designed with regards to Tolkien lore. I keep thinking I'm gonna come back to it someday after I mostly went sour on MMOs when City of Heroes shut down, but I'm also constantly worried that as soon as I do, Amazon will power play to have it shut down in favor of their own Lord of The Rings MMO.

That's what made it hard for me to commit to any other MMO, until FFXIV. I know that isn't going anywhere anytime soon. City of Heroes returning last year caused me to backlog most of the new games I bought. Can't believe it I'm playing it again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
long and short of it these games were never meant to last over a decade. aside from heavy hitters like FF, WoW, ect nobody is really making money off them. some kinda remain relevant enough to exist... but yeah, it's kind of a dead genre

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I've probably put more time into The Old Republic than any other game in my life. Thank you for your sacrifice, Galaxies.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Galaxies, prior to the "let's be more like WoW" redesign was a strange fucking game. Like AFKing as a cantina dancer all day to farm profession experience to somehow eventually become a Jedi. Weird shit.

No.

When people tried farming to become a Jedi the game had already died.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
SWG was incredible times. I still remember when holocrons came out and the cantina I went to regularly emptied out because everyone wanted to know what they needed to grind to unlock that force slot. That was the beginning of the end for that game. Never played Matrix Online but I heard good things about it. Lotro is alright but I remember when I went back after they went f2p they had a thing you could buy that teleported you to the quest end. Kind of ruined the game a bit. Someone told me they took it out a bit after that.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
CoH has servers online?
Not official but all of them are legit and since source code leaked almost all of them have their own "versions" of the game, and people are building new assets, and stories for each server.

Currently the largest server is Homecoming. All of them have MTX removed so that's good.

I keep thinking about making a thread on this. Would love to join in on an ERA supergroup. I'm on Indomitable if anyone wants to play! It still holds up and there is so much new content it almost feels like a new game to me.

Honestly it's probably not a bad idea, the game has a lot going for it right now, and a lot of the servers are getting custom content so it's becoming pretty good.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Pssst you can still play Star Wars galaxies under a project called legends... its still awesome!

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, Star Wars Galaxies. Let's just say when The Old Republic was made, there was a reason EA just let you be a Jedi/Sith right from the start...

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
Star Wars Galaxies before the combat patch seemed aggressively uninterested in teaching the player how to play, to me.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Star Wars: Galaxies royally screwed itself when it was handing out Jedi ranks to people willy nilly and Matrix Online, while promising, was an unmitigated disaster with more bugs than a dune buggy filled with bugs bugging out from the amount of software bugs in The Matrix Online.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
The Matrix Online was so good. There's an emulator out there for it, but from what I recall it was limited to mostly exploring the map.