• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
(CNN) — Despite hopes for relief this summer, the US is battling the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic — so much so that across the South and Southwest contact tracing is no longer possible, according to a health expert.

whdh.com

Contact tracing no longer possible across US South due to rapid coronavirus surges, health expert says - Boston News, Weather, Sports | WHDH 7News

(CNN) — Despite hopes for relief this summer, the US is battling the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic — so much so that across the South<a class="excerpt-read-more"...

"The cases are rising so rapidly, that we cannot even do contact tracing anymore. I don't see how it's possible to even do that," Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of tropical medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told CNN's Anderson Cooper Monday.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
22102.jpeg

Insane.

I'd suggest moving to Europe, but they're wisely banning us from travel there.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
God please don't bring that shit back to NYC.

We already got morons here who have stopped wearing face mask cause the city opened back up.

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
No shit. Lol. You can't even get results back in a timely fashion and the positive rates keep going up here in Florida.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Any projections on a final toll?
The way things are looking, at least 3 million (counting second order deaths from lack of access to timely medical care) before all is said and done, but a lot of those will be hidden to keep the official numbers artificially low.

If a vaccine miraculously appears at the end of this year or early next year, then maybe half that number, since it'll take at least a year to roll it out to the general public.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
i mean, a ton people were refusing to do it anyways...so it's not like it was ever going to be accurate....

cluk

May 22, 2018
The way things are looking, at least 3 million (counting second order deaths from lack of access to timely medical care) before all is said and done, but a lot of those will be hidden to keep the official numbers artificially low.

If a vaccine miraculously appears at the end of this year or early next year, then maybe half that number, since it'll take at least a year to roll it out to the general public.
Deaths or cases?

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember when a couple posters here were saying that we were overreacting when we said The South would get hit worse than New York...

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
yeah, they've lost control over it. it's gonna be bad and will continue to be bad probably even when a vaccine arrives because many people will probably opt out. they're a real threat to the world whenever the US re-opens to global travel.

these sort of things require a large percentage of citizens buying in for the greater good. if only 60/70% wear masks or do the right thing that's still probably not enough and we're seeing that now.

it could've been mitigated with good leadership, but... that's not happening here.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So just assume everyone in the South has COVID - gotcha. Hate to say it, but let this be a lesson for everyone who said health expertise isn't needed and is actually a sham.

Time to close the boarder between the South and Atlantic states while also halting air travel between. NIMBY!

Nov 27, 2017
California
250K deaths will be the luckiest if the USA gets that number by the end of the year
I'm thinking 500K deaths are worst, think about that, half a million people which could've been prevented

USA is fucked

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm fully anticipating losing both my parents to Covid. It's terrifying.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
So just assume everyone in the South has COVID - gotcha. Hate to say it, but let this be a lesson for everyone who said health expertise isn't needed and is actually a sham.

Time to close the boarder between the South and Atlantic states while also halting air travel between. NIMBY!

I'll allow this NIMBYism.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
We had tons of people unemployed. They could have given people at least 15 an hour to be contract tracers when we were on a down-ward trajectory.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I'll allow this NIMBYism.

I always liked Wedge growing up. Glad my affections were not misplaced!

Atlantic states look to be on a reasonable trajectory to re-opening schools assuming there are enough teachers to meet the updated guidance. I don't want to jeopardize all the sacrifices we've had to put up with since March.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Trump country thought it was just some NY thing. Surprise.
trump country still thinks the whole thing is fucking fake or exaggerated just to make trump look bad

somebody's going to write a book about this shit a hundred years from now, and I hope the subtitle is "How White Supremacy Drove a Superpower to Suicide"

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
22102.jpeg

Insane.

I'd suggest moving to Europe, but they're wisely banning us from travel there.
I feel terrible that this post made me laugh out loud.

The contrast to the US and Canada is also insane

toronto.ctvnews.ca

This map shows why it would be 'terrifying' to open Canada-U.S. border

A map showing the startling contrast between Canada and the United States in the fight against COVID-19 has an infectious disease expert "terrified" at the thought of reopening the border.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
I feel terrible that this post made me laugh out loud.

The contrast to the US and Canada is also insane

toronto.ctvnews.ca

This map shows why it would be 'terrifying' to open Canada-U.S. border

A map showing the startling contrast between Canada and the United States in the fight against COVID-19 has an infectious disease expert "terrified" at the thought of reopening the border.

that map is nonsense

why did CTV even post it?

the red dots in the province are just the center of the provinces lol while in the USA it's per county level or something

mind you a real map would look even better just because most of canada's population is near the border and the rural areas would just have nothing

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
that map is nonsense

why did CTV even post it?

the red dots in the province are just the center of the provinces lol while in the USA it's per county level or something

mind you a real map would look even better just because most of canada's population is near the border and the rural areas would just have nothing

They explain in the article (it is clickbait for sure), but I had meant to link the twitter stats

Canada

#COVID19 cases: 105,536 2,796 Cases per million 230 Deaths per million USA

#COVIDー19 cases: 2,996,027 9,051 Cases per million 401 Deaths per million

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This country is fucked. What an absolute failure.

It doesn't matter what states manage to contain it for the time being, one of the states failing will result in it basically never going away (realistically reduced)

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Testing is shit again too. Takes 10 days to get results. Like what fucking use is that. We've had months to come up with better and faster testing but we haven't done shit.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's so scary to watch what's going on down there...
Testing is shit again too. Takes 10 days to get results. Like what fucking use is that. We've had months to come up with better and faster testing but we haven't done shit.
It's only 10 days for results likely in the US because of testing volume. It's not like the test takes 10 days to process, there's probably just such a backlog to reach that test that it takes 10 days.

1-3 days is the turnaround for tests where I am in Canada.