• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hello all, catching up on the twist yesterday, and holy shit what an amazing play. Going to highlight some posts from the past few days that stand out to me.

Not doubting Terra's claim given the red flip, but could you provide some more context for why you voted the way you did, Terra? I'd specifically like to hear what you reasoning was here instead of straight up tunneling on Sorian from the get-go.

what the

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Even ignoring the fact that it was unlimited shot, let me remind you that for reasons I still don't understand, Fanto and Bae decided to add a godfather to LiS mafia to counter me the 1-shot amnesiac cop.
Behind the scenes, the Godmother was originally going to have a BP vest as well, but in review some thing changed, some talk was had about how likely it was for the SK to win, and ultimately we removed the Godmothers BP Vest and kept it just as the lone counter to the Cop.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Did Nicole just clear herself by not knowing Terra is dead? Or was that fake? I'm leaning the former? Lol.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Behind the scenes, the Godmother was originally going to have a BP vest as well, but in review some thing changed, some talk was had about how likely it was for the SK to win, and ultimately we removed the Godmothers BP Vest and kept it just as the lone counter to the Cop.
I could've won with BP 😭😭😭😭

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I did what I said I did N1. I am town. Idk what happened, I don't receive a notification of whether it was successful or not.

so either we have another RB or I was switched

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017

Technically there could have been more than 1 cop shot.

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I feel mostly good about Kyan but it would be nice to see a confirmation. BUT WHY NOT BLARG GODDAMN

PEOPLE: INVESTIGATE BLARG lol
K58XHcE.gif

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
Okay, dudes, please explain why on earth I would, as scum:

Ride rb Sneeks into the ground d1
Then open today with a vote on probably scum Bae

when we know that the team is dying fast?

There's bussing to victory and then driving the bus into hell and if I live to near endgame, you should kill me but otherwise, come on. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's a waste of time at this point.

I don't think it is so crazy to not be discussed or considered. You had a strong town read on Sorian and a very negative read on Faddy (granted we haven't confirmed Faddy's alignment yet). This continued across both days. And while I can't say that I am feeling like this you being scumMonkey, it wouldn't be above scumMonkey to fight with Sneeks day one, bus Sneeks, and then help support Sorian vs Faddy until Terra ruins those plans D2.

To make this process easier for everyone to review, I collected most (?) hopefully all of the relevant discussions Dr. Monkey had about Sorian vs Faddy since the start of the game. I have some thoughts on this at the end, but presenting this block of posts without interrupting comments. There's some quotes by some other people included to give context to some of Monkey's replies.

Sorian n Faddy isn't really much alignment-wise since they would fight regardless of their own respective alignments and i don't see much there as a whole. If anything I'd say maaaaybe not w/w but Aeleus has a good point regarding them both. I do think the only interesting point to gleam from the whole thing is Faddy misremembering Aeleus' past roles and thus misreading their initial post. He even does a total flip on Aeleus in this post and then just...leaves it.

This is... everything I said. insert thinking emoji.

Re: your hot take: eh, maybe, but I find Sneeks + Faddy has more potential as Sneeks followed up with people on you but not on Faddy until she parroted what I said.

So, as to a potential town v town slapfight between Sorian and Faddy:

Both of these players would argue with anyone they felt needed to be argued with without a shred of self-consciousness regardless of alignment. If they disagreed, they would argue, the end. Sorian in particular will get volatile just because he has an opinion (again, and to your question, Sawneeks, I watched it and was in chat with him as he'd get wound up in our hydra; it's just how he is, and that's fine, but it's NAI - look back and you'll see him do it in any/every game). Honestly, Faddy is the same; he will argue with his teammates if scum, or with anyone else. If Faddy has a thought, he will stick to it unless an outside force (fact, death, etc.) moves him. I don't think we can call their discussion on alignment either way.

I do find the misread from Faddy interesting, though, because while Sorian may be quick to skim and misread at times, Faddy isn't. What I'm not sure of is if that's indicative of townFaddy not thinking anything is that serious yet or scumFaddy not paying much attention and honestly I'm not sure. What I do think is weird is that he spun 180 on his read of Aeleus and his second observation was that somehow Aeleus may know too much about Sparks and that was the reason they put out that statement about Sparks. THAT is a really weird conclusion to draw since it has nothing to do with Sparks in this game at this time and it honestly made me think of MafiEra and Faddy's attempt to read Sophia against the conclusion of the whole game for town cred. Either way, I don't like it. It feels like another misread, and in both cases, it does not feel like townFaddy, who is generally pretty sharp at analyzing motivation.

Here's where I don't vote today, plus the comments from my low-poster pile:

Chugg

Sorian

nin*

Zeke

Vere

Aeleus

Sparks, I guess, whatever, but I think that could easily be a scummy role if he's telling the truth

nin has a star because I'm actually not sure about him. He dropped his whole theory with so little defense when people didn't like it and that could be scummy nin but the votes piling up there are iffy unless it was scum trying to clear scummates, and that's too much theorizing fo

Here are some things I want from the thread. I feel like I've been pretty active and clear but there are some things I feel like folks have been talking around but not digging into, so here are my requests:

I want someone to tell me why they townread Sawneeks. A few people have. Why?

I want someone to tell me why they scumread Sorian. Bad reads? That's most of us right now and Sorian is perfectly capable of some very bad reads. It's actually a point that indicates his towniness, I think. Show me where you think his bad reads become scummy.

I'd like anyone to weigh in on Terrabyte and anyone who hasn't yet to weigh in on nin.

I'd like to see someone unpack wee from last night through her defense through today.

Okay, let me talk about Sorian (I'll tag Fanto). I'll open with a caveat: I am the worst for falling for scumSorian who pretends to be town. There are long records of this. BUT! I do often figure it out eventually - there are long records of this, too. Yeah, okay, so I created the uberscum in HvV but I also nailed him in several games. We have a history and I have an awareness of how and when Sorian may play me. That gives me a little advantage in reading him and it also means I hope people will watch me read him and check my work.

We also just played a hydra at Mafia Universe in which we were town and in chat the whole game and I feel like I understand townSorian so much better after that. Talking through everything the whole time gave us insight into each others' thought processes.

Here's what I noticed about townSorian:

Turns out he favors elaborate theories

If he thinks something, he will hang on to it even when it seems really unlikely

He does not give two shits if you like him

Here are some things I have noticed about scumSorian:

-He's very reasonable, and

-He's a pocketer.

Note that these things are not hard and fast; it's more of a spectrum. He may be mostly reasonable and have some spats and hang onto a wild theory while pocketing someone, but leaning into some more than others is a useful heuristic for reading Sorian. I'm thinking Love Boat 3 Sorian here (antagonistic and focused; we yelled at each other until he died and he was town) versus MafiEra Sorian (cult leader, very chill) here as an example.

In this game, he's pushing hard against Faddy. He has good reasons but they aren't a lock, not at all, and it's not the easier position to believe. The easier position here is that Faddy is just town with a weird role he doesn't want to deal with*. Sorian's hardline take that Faddy is scum is not the most popular position; he doesn't care and is pushing it anyway, near to the point of tunnel. That's a very townSorian position; he will take swipes at other folks (see: Fanto here) and comment on other controversies but mostly follow his theory unto death.

Now, some caveats:

He knows that I have learned these things about him, even before our hydra, but after that, he knows I know him better now (and vice versa; we even talked about it a little in our chat). I think Sorian could alter his play a little if he need to, to suit him. But I don't think he could stick with it for a whole game. Or rather, I don't think he would be bothered to do so.

Second caveat: It can be hard to see who scumSorian could be teamed with because I don't think he cares too much about teammates lol. So finding him in that way would be difficult. That does add a layer to all this.

Anyway, for now, I think he's town. And while I have fucked up and townread Sorian when he wasn't in the past, it was usually because he was NOT playing like he is here and was being Reasonable Sorian.

Re: the *above - obviously for me jury's out but I've already posted on that.

Protect: Faddy

Investigate: Pirate Bae

Kill: Sorian

Why not just investigate Sorian and kill Bae? gross

I'm telling y'all, this is town Sorian, I'm like 80% certain.

You know better than this.

It's also curious that a lot of people have scumreads on Terra and you slide off for a vote like this.

I think that's all the relevant/important posts Dr. Monkey made about Sorian over the past few days. To emphasize again, I don't think Dr. Monkey is scumMonkey this game. However, her comments on the Sorian and Faddy saga time and time again seem...off to me. I'm not sure how to put it any other way, but her constant pushing of Sorian as town and pushing against Faddy should probably be discussed today.

That being said, I personally think it is likely that Dr. Monkey is town, but she just got suckered in by Sorian again, but I would very much like to hear thoughts from everyone as to how they're currently feeling about Dr. Monkey given the posts about the flips from D1 (who Monkey advocated as scum for) and D2 (who Monkey advocated as town for).

On the flip side of the coin of the Faddy vs Sorian argument, I'd really like Faddy to confirm that he is town today. I don't think the flip of Sorian as red is smoking gun alignment indicative of Faddy and having Faddy confirm as town would be helpful to sort things out. Also, if we're being honest, talking with images really isn't that difficult or hard. I have some creeping doubts in my mind right now about a scumFaddy and scumSorian having some stupid back and forth like this at each other all game, so a confirmation of Faddy's alignment would really put me at ease on my read there.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
That being said, I personally think it is likely that Dr. Monkey is town, but she just got suckered in by Sorian again, but I would very much like to hear thoughts from everyone as to how they're currently feeling about Dr. Monkey given the posts about the flips from D1 (who Monkey advocated as scum for) and D2 (who Monkey advocated as town for).
I think Monkey was just wrong about Sorian tbh. Trust me, I have gone over all the possibilities of Scum Monkey during the night phase, it's kind of my thing, and I have her as Town still.

(Also, that enormous Meta post from her about how Sorian is most likely Town on D1 is legendary lmao)

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
SweetNicole thoughts on monkey. Town due to how neeks played out. She was just wrong on sorian. Even in the quote you pulled, she mentioned sorian should be investigated if nothing else.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Let me lay this out.

If Bae is scum, there is NO WAY I come in today with a pretyped on my scum partner. This is before Fanto's reveal. Why? Because this is my death warrant. If I get two scum, without mechanics, Sorian aside, I'm dead either way. If I'm town, scum gets me eventually. If I'm town and don't die, y'all HAVE to kill me to avoid a possible power bus scenario. I never endgame regardless. It's utterly foolish. Unless my last teammate(s) are so buried they will never be found, and that seems unlikely here, it's a losing play.

Debate it all you want but it's dumb.

I was wrong about Sorian for the nth time as town. It's not that shocking.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I think Monkey was just wrong about Sorian tbh. Trust me, I have gone over all the possibilities of Scum Monkey during the night phase, it's kind of my thing, and I have her as Town still.

(Also, that enormous Meta post from her about how Sorian is most likely Town on D1 is legendary lmao)
Yep, that's the new town hooker and it will live in infamy. Fucking Sorian, man, goddammit.

Oct 25, 2017
Monkey is town that spent day 2 in Sorians pocket. What she did day 1 doesn't happen if she's scum. Sorian pulling one over on Monkey for a day is believable and I don't get why people are having such a hard time with it. Town can be fooled by scum

Blargonaut

Oct 26, 2017
I was in an auction last night, I won an item, it turned me into a Miller.
Interesting, this, because I'm a Tracker and I tracked you on N1 and got no movement...

Vote: Pirate Bae
Miller-Tracker. Cool cool cool cool

Were you a Tracker before or are you a Tracker because of the Hidden Camera (ergo, you'd be lying about D1) because it sounds to me like an item called "Hidden Camera" could be used for filthy, dirty, nasty things hence the Miller affliction of it

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Miller-Tracker. Cool cool cool cool

Were you a Tracker before or are you a Tracker because of the Hidden Camera (ergo, you'd be lying about D1) because it sounds to me like an item called "Hidden Camera" could be used for filthy, dirty, nasty things hence the Miller affliction of it
I was originally a Tracker. Won the item and it turned me into a Miller as well.

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017

SweetNicole thoughts on monkey. Town due to how neeks played out. She was just wrong on sorian. Even in the quote you pulled, she mentioned sorian should be investigated if nothing else.

I still have her as probable town too because of Sneeks, but at the same time, and maybe this is where people with more mafia context can help me, would a scum Monkey bus Sneeks at that time like that? My gut says no, but I don't have enough context into how a scum Monkey plays or acts or reasons to know any better which is why I wanted to bring it up for discussion with people who play more mafia than I and have the meta context.

Okay. Let me lay this out.

If Bae is scum, there is NO WAY I come in today with a pretyped on my scum partner. This is before Fanto's reveal. Why? Because this is my death warrant. If I get two scum, without mechanics, Sorian aside, I'm dead either way. If I'm town, scum gets me eventually. If I'm town and don't die, y'all HAVE to kill me to avoid a possible power bus scenario. I never endgame regardless. It's utterly foolish. Unless my last teammate(s) are so buried they will never be found, and that seems unlikely here, it's a losing play.

Debate it all you want but it's dumb.

I was wrong about Sorian for the nth time as town. It's not that shocking.

Sure, I can buy this logic today, but would you agree that this all go out the window tomorrow if Bae, who I think probably everyone thinks is scum, flips town EOD?

If ppl bid the same amount, it goes to the next highest bid.

so if two people bid 10 and one person bid 1 it goes to the 1?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I realize that I have never posted my top town,

Top Town:
Kyanrute
Aeleus - kicked off the votes changes that eliminated Sawneeks day 1, without Aeleus Sawneeks likely stays.

Fanto - Miller... Is this the first instance of miller in a MafiEra game? Because I'll be honest I thought they were on the "no-no" list...
This has never been the case.
Interesting, this, because I'm a Tracker and I tracked you on N1 and got no movement...

Vote: Pirate Bae
And I can double confirm this.
My god, that betrayal was swift.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that there is an extremely Uber Gambit scenario where I am a Scum Tracker and claim that the item I won turned me into a Miller and then I bus the shit out of Bae in a coordinated attempt to get me maximum Town Cred for the rest of the game.

But that did not happen, even though I wish to god it was true lol. I'm guessing Scum will off me soon enough because they don't want me to keep tracking them lol.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
I will say that there is an extremely Uber Gambit scenario where I am a Scum Tracker and claim that the item I won turned me into a Miller and then I bus the shit out of Bae in a coordinated attempt to get me maximum Town Cred for the rest of the game.

But that did not happen, even though I wish to god it was true lol. I'm guessing Scum will off me soon enough because they don't want me to keep tracking them lol.
Ngl, thought ran thru my head immediately when you said you were miller and tracker. Figured it wasn't worth bringing up now, especially with ynnk backing you up. Best to see how you played after the bae flip.