• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Looks like the long-in-development documentary produced by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg based on the book by Blake Harris finally is close to a full release. Like the book it seems it will cover the Genesis/SNES Era of games focusing on SEGA's increasing competition with Nintendo. The book was pretty entertaining so I'm excited to check this out!

Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, looks like I'm going to have a lot of stuff to watch when I sign up to marathon Star Trek Discovery Season 3

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
l943foxppfo31.jpg

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if Netflix's High Score takes just a little bit of the novelty factor out of this.

I tried reading the book and thought the dialogue was dreadful. Looking forward to engaging with the story without that drawback.

OP
OP
MDSVeritas

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So trailer makes it feel almost exclusively based on the American ends with not much from the Japanese side.
That would line up with the original book too, yeah. It's VERY focused on Sega of America vs. Nintendo of America. I don't know how much the documentary will do this but the book goes out of its way to really paint the SoA team as the plucky protagonists in a David-and-Goliath fight where they only touch on the Japanese side of things minimally (and often presented as the forces that are causing obstacles for the SoA team more than anything).

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i feel like ive heard this story a million times already. would like to see more about other parts of the industries history beyond atari and sega genesis, nes era gaming.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I feel like this story has been told too many times before, no offense or anything.

But hey, maybe I'll give it a look. It's been a while since I've watched a good game documentary.

😅

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
High Score could have been so much better.
Don't know what "High Score" is but I think that X Play will have a good documentary or two when it comes back. A lot has changed and been revealed when it comes to video games. And the game landscape is changing fast. I think that by 2021 there'll be a lot to talk about.

That said, I almost feel like the only one that has held off on watching a game documentary because video games as a medium is still too young; I almost feel like I should give it another 5 or 10 years...

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Don't know what "High Score" is but I think that X Play will have a good documentary or two when it comes back. A lot has changed and been revealed when it comes to video games. And the game landscape is changing fast. I think that by 2021 there'll be a lot to talk about.

That said, I almost feel like the only one that has held off on watching a game documentary because video games as a medium is still too young; I almost feel like I should give it another 5 or 10 years...
High Score is a recent Netflix series (6 episodes). Videogames have been going on for over 40 years, it's not that young.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Sega Genesis 1989 U.S. launch commercial - Even in this, they're going after Nintendo without mentioning them.

This was months before "Genesis Does What Nintendon't" kicked off in early 1990.

Marketing in August/Sept 1989 through the end of the year, was geared around the slogans:
"Your World Will Never Be The Same" and "We Bring The Arcade Experience Home".

qhsHWkl.jpg

r73v3XF.jpg

Last edited:

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Honestly, I would make a documentary about the bad business practices throughout the history of video games, but that would be way too broad.

But that video games have always sucked when it comes to business practices is pretty much a truism for me. I remember in the 2000s people complained about the business practices. And no doubt the 90s and before that the 80s also had horrible business practices in video games. We just didn't have Internet back then and not much scrutiny was paid to the medium except in a sort of "it'll turn you into a killer" way.

I'm actually digging into this topic right now. There are many people that seem to think that video game companies are only scummy now. Frankly, I think they were always pretty scummy with how they treated their workers and their consumers.

But hey, aside from that, maybe this Sega/Nintendo documentary will even talk about that. Or even reveal new information. I just kinda feel that this story has been told times beyond counting. But I'm sure others will enjoy it!

OP
OP
MDSVeritas

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I would make a documentary about the bad business practices throughout the history of video games, but that would be way too broad.

But that video games have always sucked when it comes to business practices is pretty much a truism for me. I remember in the 2000s people complained about the business practices. And no doubt the 90s and before that the 80s also had horrible business practices in video games. We just didn't have Internet back then and not much scrutiny was paid to the medium except in a sort of "it'll turn you into a killer" way.

I'm actually digging into this topic right now. There are many people that seem to think that video game companies are only scummy now. Frankly, I think they were always pretty scummy with how they treated their workers and their consumers.

But hey, aside from that, maybe this Sega/Nintendo documentary will even talk about that. Or even reveal new information. I just kinda feel that this story has been told times beyond counting. But I'm sure others will enjoy it!
While the book definitely was a pretty good friend to Sega, it did actually dive into quite a bit of the shady stuff Nintendo was doing in the 80s and 90s to secure their monopoly so hopefully they'll delve a bit into it here too.

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna start a trial sub on CBS All Access to peep this but yeah I've heard this story told on retro gaming podcasts so many times. Hopefully it's engaging as a doc. The AV Club gave it a B.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to watch this so I signed up for CBS All Access free trial, but since I am in Canada they aren't streaming it here - that sucks! The Canadian version of CBS All Access is garbage. I don't want to have to run it through a VPN.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
just finished it, it was fine, i read half the book, so from what i remember it follows that closely, and its very much Kalinske focused.

I know the general story but not all the details, so hearing some of the downfall of SEGA post Genny was interesting. It feels very much like an ep of High Score if anyone saw that, same tone and use of game graphics for story recreations.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed the book and would like to see the documentary, but it seems it isn't available in the UK, unless anyone knows if/when/where it is coming?

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
worth signing up for the trial sub to watch, a fun trip down history lane with some details i didnt know before. makes me feel a bit sad we lost the old sega given what they did for the market.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a neat little documentary, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they talked to practically everyone from the North American Nintendo and Sega offices.

I would have really liked for them to feature the Donkey Kong Country story with Rare but they could only cover so much.