• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Always had a decent PC. I had a 360/PS3/Wii during that generation. Also, had a PSP, Vita, DS, and 3DS. This gen, I've just done PS4/Switch. I'm thinking with this next gen, I might just stick with whatever Nintendo releases for my portable fix plus a gaming PC. For a system that lasted 7 years, there really weren't that many PS4 exclusives that I really cared about (mostly just Bloodborne & Persona 5/Royal) and I'm guessing this next generation will have even fewer exclusives since 3rd parties have just about given up on doing true exclusives these days.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not switching to PCs next gen, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'd probably have switched to PC gaming a little while ago if I was a PC users instead of a lifelong Mac user.

If I wanted a PC, it'd be me investing hundreds of dollars into what I'd use as just a gaming box, which is something I can't justify. If I used it for all other aspects of my life too, it'd be an easier sell, though. But as I understand it, Hackintoshes aren't as good as genuine Macs, so short of just embracing Windows there's not much of a recourse for me.

netprints

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I decided to switch to pc next gen, I sold my ps4 and switch. I have everything bought except for a gpu (hopefully will get a 3080) With a lot of games going cross play and MS releasing their games day 1 on PC it makes sense to me to play games on the PC. Also Sony started to release some of their older games on PC so I can wait for those.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I switched from primary console to PC at the start of last generation so I can do stuff like this if I want:

2560px-Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_1_%2B_2_32x9.png

It's all in the flexibility, baby

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
in two years ill probably switch to pc (waiting for prices to go down further). in the short amount of time ive had my gaming laptop ive found more games that appeal to me on steam than i have most of the gen on consoles.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Flexibility, legacy support, pricing and I can do other stuff with a PC besides playing games.

edit: no timed exclusives pretty much. Games just come on PC almost always.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
It felt like the right time for me. Im happy with my PS4/Switch/XOX but also wanted to try something different next gen. Also cheaper games, free online.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
It's also easier than ever to get into PC gaming, and, crucially, easier to learn about the process and decide if you're the type of person to be ok with the tradeoffs in terms of convenience. The higher upfront cost, as well as the non-plug-and-play nature, will always cause the option to be a nonstarter for many people, but there are a ton of build guides, websites devoted to part compatibility, videos on building your own, optimized settings for any given configuration, etc.

macapes

Nov 19, 2019
United Kingdom
Was PC for many years, bought a 3DFX card in a shop on release, networked the uni house for Half Life LAN games. Continued through the first couple of Sony/MS console generations (Dreamcast and Gamecube represent) without bothering with PS or Xbox. Then, with a big TV went 360, PS4. Kept a lightweight PC running as a server - and CK2 machine.

Am now considering a PC again. Why, you ask? Almost everything I've truly enjoyed on PS4 I could have played on PC, except it would have been better. Plus I'd have most of the Xbox stuff available too.

Pick up a PS5 a few years down the line for any must have exclusives.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
For me it's either a XSX or upgrading/total overhaul of my PC.

PC gets me XGS games via Game Pass (Avowed, Fable, etc), importantly including Age of Empires. It also lets me sidestep nonsense console exclusivity like Deathloop and Stalker 2. Missing out on PS games doesn't mean too much to me as I haven't been terribly interested in their catalog, and even those are making their way over now.

XSX gets me simplicity and a capable machine for significantly less money, but I lose regarding Sony's moneyhats and potentially not getting Age of Empires.

That all may sound tilted towards PC, but it's still an argument I'm going back and forth on a lot.

Oct 28, 2017
I was PC and Nintendo until 2019. HDR is making me switch to consoles for good. Some games it works automatically on a PC. Other ones you have to toggle that Windows setting. The end result is my four year experiment of hooking my PC to a TV and treating it like a console (aka only use a controller for input) failed. The moment I needed a mouse for HDR I bought a One X and dedicated my PC to VR only.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
I don't even care about power or graphics (I mostly play on Switch) but I built a PC a few months back because it's where my friends play and I haven't touched my PS4 since. It's just easier to play on PC where I can use any controller, use mods, play with friends, not pay for online, etc.
I think I'm just going PC + Switch next gen. I may get a PS5 way down the line when it's super cheap and the games are $10 each but for now I'm happy with what I have

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
but this whole generation Sony and MS sold us theses consoles as "premium" and it was an exciting thought to think that console players may actually be getting "the best of the best".
Consoles have never been the "premium" experience of video games.

...BUT I would also say that shouldn't be your sole reason for going PC.

My two biggest reasons for sticking to PC as my first platform are flexibility and legacy support. I have a big desktop and a laptop, and I know I can install all my games on either one, or both. If I had more money I'd get a GDP Win too for handheld PC gaming. I know when I buy or build a new, better PC I'll have no problem moving all my games over. I still have PC game discs from the 90's and early 00's I can install today. I know overall I can just do more with my games, which makes me more comfortable buying digital PC games than buying digital console games.

Really, it's just the fact that PC is an open platform that makes it better for me. Power isn't even a deal-breaker for me. I'd be fine with a PC that performed no better than consoles just because of all the other advantages. If PlayStation was an open platform, I'd be fine with that level of power. If I ever reached a point where for some reason I couldn't play AAA games on PC anymore, I'd probably still play stuff like Doom or any number of not-graphics-intensive games on a laptop or something.

Aside from those reasons, there are actually a lot of games I spend a lot of time with that are either PC-only or tend to come out on PC a year or more earlier than consoles, and I think OP should try to find some PC-only games as another reason to get into PC. It's just that those PC-only games don't tend to get the same advertising and promotion as AAA console games. They might just spread through word-of-mouth or pop up out of nowhere on Steam.

My top game right now is Arma and I've been meaning to get back to Disco Elysium which comes to consoles later this year. Umurangi Generation is one of the most interesting games I've played all year. If you just keep peeking at whatever shows up on the PC game storefronts or talk to people who stay on PC you'll run into a lot of great obscure games most people will never hear of. A ton of indie darlings come out on PC first as well. And if you're a retroist then PC is absolutely the best platform.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going all in on PC. Free games literally every week (thanks EGS), no paid online, all my peripherals work already, most games get a PC release these days, no need to buy remasters (just max out the original release), ability to do things beyond gaming, freedom to change settings as I please.

I'm going to try and ride my 1060 machine until 2022 and upgrade then. Got plenty to play to tide me over, and I think most games for the next while should hold up okay.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I am the opposite and went from being a PC primary gamer to console primary. Got tired of 'oh this game is Epic Store exclusive for a year" and it just largely killed my interest. The only thing I still play on the PC are simulators and FPSs.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
I would save up for a gaming PC if Sony revealed it would bring all of their 1st party games day one, if at all.

I ain't trying to miss out on their exclusives or wait 2 or 3+ years for them. Or only get PS5 exclusives when the PS6 about to hit.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
I usually get Xbox and PS but I'm skipping Series X for a 3080. Still getting a PS5 and also have a Switch. I want to create content so that's a big reason for the PC.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Compared to the power and performance I'll get on PC, an Xbox holds zero appeal for me. Any money I would have planned on spending on it is better spent on my PC.

The PS5 still has its exclusives, and at least some unique features, so there is still some appeal there. But I'm not sure when I'll feel compelled to pick one up (I'd rather play on PC if I could).

I want a next gen upgrade, and considering that a 30XX is going to be a tremendous leap from where my PC currently is (And a substantial leap over where the Series X is likely to fall, especially when it comes to things like ray tracing and DLSS), the best next gen experience is going to be on PC.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
If you're already own a PC for work or school, popping in a $500 GPU is actually a really good value proposition.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
There's something to be said for knowing when something is coming out and how much it is going to cost ;)

Seriously, though, I still play my Switch and PS4 a ton, and I'm sure I'll still end up with a PS5, but I built a PC last summer as a splurge for myself and I couldn't be happier with it. I spent a decent amount (RTX 2070s, Ryzen 3700x) and am already considering some upgrades (3080, more RAM, bigger PSU, and eventually a bigger NVMe) but as someone who didn't even own a Windows machine since like...2007 (still prefer a Mac for doing work stuff) it's been really great. I've gotten a stupid amount of games for free or cheap and there's so much genuinely wild, interesting stuff on PC first/only. Hasn't been a lot of troubleshooting but most of it has been enjoyable, to be honest (had one big issue that sucked with a weird set of circumstances - basically don't install DS4Windows if you think you'll ever play Remote Play lol.) Only bummer is the time I can spend on it is a lot more limited with a newborn.

Dweebo

Oct 26, 2017
Second half of this gen and now going into next gen I am:
-Buying PS5 for their first party offerings
-Buying on PC digital all 3rd party games/indies

captainzombie

Nov 29, 2017
May be ps5 pro if it supports 60fps for all games. Playing at 30fps in 2020 is not acceptable. Nvidia is better option for higher frames I don't care about graphics but 60fps experience is must.

I currently have a 3900x/1080Ti/32gb Ram system, the X1X, PS4 Pro, and a Switch. Between the delay of Halo, the game of chicken that Sony and MSFT are playing, the real lack of any good launch titles for either has become a real turn off.

All I ask for in 2020 is games in 1440p 60 fps. A lot of these companies continuously go for that 4K and can barely hit 30 fps at times. I do hope that I can score a 3080 to replace my 1080 Ti and probably just hold off on either console till next year.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
seems like everything is moving there, even PS exclusives if you can wait. im on the the fence between a XSX and a full on PC right now.

honestly, i wouldnt be surprised if consoles as we know them are left behind the gen after next and we just get branded high end pcs

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PC + Nintendo is the best setup right now.

I love that I can play 99% of my catalogue on one machine. I'm even starting to get hesitant buying software on Switch these days. Will it be backwards compatible with Nintendo's next system? Those kinds of questions are what's stopping me from going all in on the new Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, or the 3D All Stars.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Now we know the details of the new consoles, and the pricing, including the hike in prices on games (brand tax), it makes going PC a non brainer. In fact, it will be the first time since the 360/PS3 that I dont get a console day one.

The thing that changed it for me is Gamepass on PC, and the absence of real system selling exclusives on any console platform. I can get 95% of all games on console on PC, for cheaper, and can upgrade my PC rather than be stuck with a fixed architecture box. Plus, I dont have to pay monthly subs for PSN or Switch, just for the 'privilege' of playing online games!

Its the first gen where I really doubt consoles have a future, and where I see the PC as a viable alternative.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm shocked more people haven't left already. Especially with the increasing focus from both Sony and Microsoft in regards to bringing their exclusives over to PC.

Once you switch over, it really is difficult to go back. Consoles feel sorta limited.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f53397468626573746d786f6374413d3d2d37352e313465653836323132656535653931333234393834373939323737302e676966

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I am a life-long Nintendo fan and owned a Switch & PS4 this previous generation. I bought a gaming PC two weeks ago because I was tired of waiting for the price reveals and because I wanted to cross-play with my Xbox buddy. Now that I have a better understanding of PC gaming I have some regret I did not jump in sooner (although the price I paid for the PC I received was a great deal and wouldn't have been possible even 6 months earlier). I still love my Switch and will continue supporting my first love Nintendo but I don't think I'll be chomping at the bit to jump back in to the console market otherwise.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I want to ensure the library of games that I've purchased can be maintained with posterity.

Playstation ecosystem gave me 0 confidence that they are interested in thinking long term for the users, as such I have to think of myself and probably abandon this platform sooner rather later and relocate to another platform that has some resemblance of future compatibility in their products.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not one of those people but with the rising price of console gaming, I could understand why. Plus Microsoft and Sony both started putting their games on PC anyway

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The best experience, speaking strictly in terms of performance, has always been PC. Maybe the biggest counter-intuitive stance console manufacturers made last gen is making a convincing case for hardware specs to its customers.

It's inevitable that once you start having a conversation about the best technical performance that you end up looking at PC and realizing that not only can you experience "next gen" far sooner, you experience a version of it that's always leaps beyond what consoles are offering.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My gaming laptop is an extremely compact and powerful machine that does almost literally all of the computing that's relevant in my life, whether that's work, general web browsing or playing videogames, and anything in between. It also weighs just under 2kg and I can take it anywhere.

On top of being able to play all third party games + Xbox first party games, I can also play them the way I want (which usually means prioritizing framerate), with free online, taking advantage of Game Pass and other insane PC-only deals (Humble, EGS free games and the like), using the peripherals I want without worrying about official compatibility (VERY important for simracing) and generally having unlimited, guaranteed backwards compatibility (sometimes it requires some elbow grease but it still ends up working) either natively or via emulation.

Yes it costs a lot more (because it's a laptop, very good gaming PCs are actually surprisingly affordable) but it gives me way too damn much in return and it is worth the investment without question.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You can build a Mini-ITX PC smaller than Series X or PS5. It would be nice if Valve came through with a Big Picture overhaul that brings cutting edge features and design. PC is in a good window to thrive until Sony's next-gen publishing ramps up. Most generations have this cycle where console hits its stride for a couple years and then recedes as PC games jump out ahead.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Has there ever been a console launch that wasnt outmatched by atleast something already on the market in the PC space since like the snes days?

I've seen a couple posts like this and am completely baffled that this was a surprise to anyone, ofcourse these consoles would be outclassed by PC, thats kind of what PC Gaming is all about. The big surprise this time around is just how outclassed theyve been by the 3080 & 3090 but the fact they have been outpowered is not the outlier here right?

The 360 I think was ahead of PC when it launched in terms of feature support for DX. It took a couple of months I think? For a GPU to come out that supported the new feature set as well. Of course that gen lasted along time, and by the middle of it, PC gaming was super affordable. You could build a mid spec PC for like $600-$700 and it was WAY better than a 360.

I think the lowest curve was the PS4/Xbox One probably, they really had to pull out the pro consoles this gen or things would have looked like the 360 generation, only even sooner! This gen looked like it was going to somewhere in between the 360 and last gen, and in terms of I/O at least I think it still is, but in terms of graphics and performance, things switched real quick with the 3000 series, and AMD's big navy, even if they can't beat the Nvidia GPU's, will probably offer value in other ways.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I'm not switching to PCs next gen, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'd probably have switched to PC gaming a little while ago if I was a PC users instead of a lifelong Mac user.

If I wanted a PC, it'd be me investing hundreds of dollars into what I'd use as just a gaming box, which is something I can't justify. If I used it for all other aspects of my life too, it'd be an easier sell, though. But as I understand it, Hackintoshes aren't as good as genuine Macs, so short of just embracing Windows there's not much of a recourse for me.

Dual booting linux might serve you well?

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
You can build a Mini-ITX PC smaller than Series X or PS5. It would be nice if Valve came through with a Big Picture overhaul that brings cutting edge features and design. PC is in a good window to thrive until Sony's next-gen publishing ramps up. Most generations have this cycle where console hits its stride for a couple years and then recedes as PC games jump out ahead.

Yeah I'm not sure what Valve is doing. They are in such a dominant position, in such a good place in terms of the community and their store that they could really be the rallying cry of PC gaming. Revamping and caring about big picture mode, making it easy and slick to use a TV as your gaming output with streaming and direct connection, and mind you they're half way there, but they haven't budged for years now. They should also be advertising PC gaming. Spend some of that money on investing into their ecosystem instead of making their top executives billionaires. The planet doesn't need any more of those.

I'd love to see them really focus on making the PC gaming experience easy and fast and look good, regardless of your setup. And that's a tall order, given that the cool thing about PC gaming si that everyone's ideal setup is their own. But if anyone has the resources and talent and market position to do it, it's Valve. And they also stand to reap the benefits.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
The reason why it's now is because I finally convinced my gaming group to all build PCs. To convince them and make it less scary for them, we all saves up and the bought the same components and helped each other build.

They had a bunch of smaller reasons as to why they were finally ready to make the switch, but they were nothing to do with next gen consoles.

After seeing the next gen presentations, we all agree that consoles won't be necessary (I'll still buy for 1p exclusives if necessary; they don't play 1p games anymore). Just about everything they are interested in is coming to PC, and they've already acclimated to m/kb and don't want to go back.