• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
This is definitely a self-serving topic, as I'm currently visiting England before returning to America, but I was curious if anyone had good recommendations for games not released in America that did release in Europe - for any console. Looking to get a game or two while I'm here.

I can start with one - The Gregory Horror show game for the PS2. Oddly enough, this is a licensed Capcom game for some animation that I had never heard of, but it turns out it is pretty good! It has a Majora's Mask-esque set of time mechanics that require you to memorise the schedule of the characters in order to beat the game.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
I se eyou and up it with this one.
"¡Qué Pasa neng! El Videojuego"
Only released in Spain.
1167866340_866340_000001_album_normal.jpg

It was a shovelware game released just for the spanish market due to be based on a character from a late night comedy talk show.

Deleted member 29237

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Another Code 2 and Disaster: Day Of Crisis for the Wii didn't get released in NA for some reason. That said, we didn't get Kirby's Dream Collection and the Mario All-Stars Collection was the butchered PAL ROM, so there were no clear winners that generation :(

Also North America clearly missed out on this gem:

nzccvPf.png

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I recently did this for PS2 as I had some games missing and I kept my list. Mine is mostly horror skewed though.

They're not the best games but are games that you'd probably maybe want to find since they never came out in NA as far as I'm aware.

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
Altered Beast
Curse: The Eye of Isis
Evil Twin
Forbidden Siren 2
Glass Rose
Michigan: Report from Hell
Resident Evil Survivor 2 - Code Veronica (lol)

OP
OP
Jamix012

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Metal Jesus Rocks channel has been doing a few videos on EU/PAL only released PS2 games
ah thanks for the vid recommendations! Have watched Metal Jesus in a while and will take a look

I se eyou and up it with this one.
"¡Qué Pasa neng! El Videojuego"
Only released in Spain.
1167866340_866340_000001_album_normal.jpg

It was a shovelware game released just for the spanish market due to be based on a character from a late night comedy talk show.
I'm morbidly curious how this even played.
I recently did this for PS2 as I had some games missing and I kept my list. Mine is mostly horror skewed though.

They're not the best games but are games that you'd probably maybe want to find since they never came out in NA as far as I'm aware.

Altered Beast
Evil Twin
Forbidden Siren 2
Glass Rose
Thanks for the list! I know Michigan, but would you say any of the others are worth playing?

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tales of Eternia on PSP. I picked it up in France over a decade to go and it was great. I think you can get it here on home console, but if you want it on PSP...

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
ZOZfHF0.jpg

I was surprised to find this one out after spending so many hours with it as a child. Although mine is a red box, probably a "classics" line of sorts?

The 4th entry did not release in Europe either.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Thanks for the list! I know Michigan, but would you say any of the others are worth playing?

I liked Michigan because it's a Suda game really. I think Siren 2 is absolutely essential, especially if you enjoyed the original.

The others are by no means "must haves" but more games that your want to compete a collection or something.

So yeah, um, maybe definitely Siren 2? 🤭

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Another Code 2 and Disaster: Day Of Crisis for the Wii didn't get released in NA for some reason. That said, we didn't get Kirby's Dream Collection and the Mario All-Stars Collection was the butchered PAL ROM, so there were no clear winners that generation :(

Also North America clearly missed out on this gem:

nzccvPf.png

Golden Balls wasn't a bad little gameshow. Not really sure it lends itself to a single-screen videogame, though, since it's very dependent on secret information, I assume the multiplayer is all reliant on "Close your eyes... now!". And it's yet another Prisoner's Dilemma endgame which is never really much fun when there's nothing really on the line.

That's a terrible Jasper Carrott, though. Fun fact: He's the father of Lucy Davis, Dawn from the UK Office, who's now doing a stint in the Netflix Sabrina:

iMEzV7r.png

OP
OP
Jamix012

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
ZOZfHF0.jpg

I was surprised to find this one out after spending so many hours with it as a child. Although mine is a red box, probably a "classics" line of sorts?

The 4th entry did not release in Europe either.

Was there something particularly special about this bomberman? Curious but wondering if it really broke new ground since many bomberman games end up being quite similar.

Last Window for DS? Sequel to Hotel Dusk.

This is one I've already played through! Not quite as good as the original, but definitely still worth playing and a great game in its own right

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
IIRC Chuggaaconroy said in his Pikmin 2 LP that the Wii version of the game didn't release in the US even though it did everywhere else. I don't know or get why that happened.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Already mentioned but Monolith Soft's Disaster Day of Crisis, and it's a very good game.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
840019-maken_shao___demon_sword_coverart.jpg

The PS2 port of Maken X (originally a Dreamcast game) never came out in the US. The PS2 version has additional cutscenes, changes from 1st to 3rd person and some other gameplay changes.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
An extreme example would be Gimmick!/Mr. Gimmick which only saw release outside Japan in Scandinavian regions. Great game too.
Um1uTkr.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Alien Soldier, Treasure's 16-bit magnum opus and one of the Mega Drive's best games.

lyQlGix.gif

Only released physically in Japan and Europe. You could play it in the US on the Sega channel though.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Was there something particularly special about this bomberman? Curious but wondering if it really broke new ground since many bomberman games end up being quite similar.

I honestly don't know. This is the only one I played. Well, that and a lot of multi tap matches with friends on some psx version.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Heres some cool ones, mostly horror stuff.

Some PS1 horror games,
Hellnight and Chaos Break. The Note and Overblood 2 also.

On PS2, Grasshopper and Akira Ueda's (Love-de-lic) Michigan: Report from Hell.
Also Siren 2, Glass Rose and Ghost Vibration.

On PS3 Siren 3.

On the Saturn you've got Deep Fear which at this rate I'm never going to get to pick up.

On the Wii Another Code: R and the Fatal Frame 2 remake.

Fatal Frame 5 on the WiiU

Last Window on the DS

Edit: a couple of these are digital in the US, just without physical releases.

Last edited:

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Naruto ultimate ninja 5 for the PS2, great game, a shame it never hit USA. It came out in 2008, to late I guess.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There are many worthwhile PAL releases, of which Terranigma is the most revered.

Notable mentions are Project Zero (aka Fatal Frame) 2 remake, Deep Fear, and The Last Window

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Heres some cool ones, mostly horror stuff.

Some PS1 horror games,
Hellnight and Chaos Break. The Note and Overblood 2 also.

On PS2, Grasshopper and Akira Ueda's (Love-de-lic) Michigan: Report from Hell.
Also Siren 2, Glass Rose and Ghost Vibration.

On PS3 Siren 3.

On the Saturn you've got Deep Fear which at this rate I'm never going to get to pick up.

On the Wii Another Code: R and the Fatal Frame 2 remake.

Fatal Frame 5 on the WiiU

Last Window on the DS.

Siren: Blood Curse and Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water both came out in the US, but just as digital only titles. It's true that the remake of Fatal Frame II never made it stateside, though.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cool, a Sega Master System thread. There are some quality 8-bit platformers and shooters that work on NA consoles.

Asterix
SMS-Asterix.gif

Land of Illusion
30771_8a6c4ceffa615064ebc60d253df1b6c2e2e636e9.png

Master of Darkness
mod1.png

Ninja Gaiden
mastersystem-2.png

Power Strike II
94854-power-strike-ii-sega-master-system-screenshot-final-boss-2.png

Robocop vs the Terminator
59215-robocop-versus-the-terminator-sega-master-system-screenshot.gif

Sonic 2
SMS_01.gif

Tazmania
taz-mania_3.png

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
wii_disaster_box.jpg

For some reason, USA never got this

Allegedly NoA didn't want to release it because they thought it was junk, or at least this was heavily implied from the interviews with Reggie around that time. This presaged the whole Rainfall debacle. The issue being that Disaster did seem to be very rough while the Rainfall games were good to masterful.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Allegedly NoA didn't want to release it because they thought it was junk, or at least this was heavily implied from the interviews with Reggie around that time. This presaged the whole Rainfall debacle. The issue being that Disaster did seem to be very rough while the Rainfall games were good to masterful.

It's weird to remember the Rainfall thing now. Xenoblade almost wasn't released in NA and now it's such an important IP for Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Altered Beast
Evil Twin
Forbidden Siren 2
Glass Rose

Is Evil Twin worth checking out?

Oct 31, 2017

The New Nightmare and Siren 2 are amazing. The former is best played on Dreamcast.

I also own Glass Rose but I haven't played it yet. And I heard good things about Evil Twin, I'll get it eventually !

Naruto ultimate ninja 5 for the PS2, great game, a shame it never hit USA. It came out in 2008, to late I guess.

I bought it earlier this year. The gameplay is way more interesting than the Naruto games they made afterwards.

Disaster is an ok game, the main problem here is that they tried to make several games inside one :D

Last edited: