• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Why don’t you game on PC?

• Too pricey

Votes: 661 49.6%
  • Too inconvenient (setting up graphics for every game, PC games often not optimized, ...)

Votes: 879 65.9%
  • Console gaming is more comfortable (playing on couch, on a big screen, ...)

Votes: 888 66.6%
  • I don’t care about the „best graphics“

Votes: 394 29.6%
  • I don’t care about PC specific games (like WoW, LoL, ...)

Votes: 508 38.1%
  • I don’t want to keep up with the latest hardware - a console lasts the entire generation

Votes: 665 49.9%
  • other reasons (comment)

Votes: 173 13.0%

• Total voters

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Consoles are simple. I don't want options, I just want to play games. When I used to PC game more I would tinker and tweak and before I realized it I had wasted my game time configuring.

As a developer I am on a PC all day. And I don't want to be an alt tab away from learning something or digging into some code.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Expensive, I hate sitting at a desk to play games, same goes for using a mouse and keyboard, couch options still aren't as simple as with a console (this isn't to say they aren't simple). And ultimately I just don't care about performance enough. I played and *enjoyed* Control on a base PS4 in spite of it being an absolute shit show, it was probably the worst performing game I'd played on a PS4 and I still loved it. I'll always prefer better performance of course, but I can put up with technical limitations if I'm enjoying the rest of the game enough. (Mind you if everything ran like Control then I'd probably start looking at how I can build a PC)

That said, the idea of building a PC instead of picking up a Series X down the line is still something I'm considering.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I use a pc for work. Playing games on the same device isn't always fun.
This one.

My work is entirely on the computer. I spend upwards of 50-60 hours a week on the computer working. The idea of also spending my leisure time even looking at the Windows desktop makes me want to fucking die. Hooking a PC at my couch doesn't solve this. Even if it is as simple as looking at a different device OS in my living room rather than adding even more desk time is the mental break I need. I've been playing computer games since the Commodore PET, I know the benefits of the platform and play things occasionally. My mental health matters more.

To that same end I also never watch streaming services like Netflix on my computer. I don't think I've ever even signed in from a browser except maybe when setting up my account.

Last edited:

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
With a few exceptions like WoW and LoL

Because of console exclusives you can play 99% of games on consoles (1st party and 3rd party) while PC you can only play 90% of games (mostly just 3rd party), this makes the pc redundant and just an unnecessary extra and large expense
PC has more exclusives than every console combined. This is a horrendous take and I'm not even a primarily PC gamer.

waddledee123

May 22, 2018
Every one of these is my reasoning for not playing on pc. Console is just easier and I am satisfied with it so why mess with building an expensive pc to play the same games/even less games. I am jealous of steam sales though. Those prices are nuts

Dec 3, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Gaming on a console is comfortable in a couple different ways. For one, I simply can't get arsed to solve finicky PC stuff when I want to play something, I already spend my whole day doing that for other people; when I'm off work I want to touch 3 buttons and be logged in to FFXIV or whatever other thing I'm playing. Another point, physical comfort; I can play my console lying in bed, sitting on the floor, sitting on a chair, standing up... I know you can also adapt PC to do that, but with my current stituation it would be too much of a hassle.

Also I am very very very attached to playing on a controller (despite knowing KB + M is infinitely more precise and faster), and not all PC games support that (especially older stuff that I'm more inclined to play on PC).

In the end, console gaming is so simple and fast and it's where all my friends are, that also racks a lot of points towards it.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I guess convenience. I use a tablet for my "computing" needs so I'd rather just get a console for gaming.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
I selected all of the above, but mostly it's because I fuck around with computers all day at work. The last thing I want to do is fuck around with a computer at home. That said at various times of my life I've been more of a PC gamer than anything else. It comes and goes.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A mix of 2 and 3.

I have a fairly capable rig (7700K, RTX 2070, 16GB RAM, SSDs) and I've played a decent amount on it, but after encountering issues with a game every so often like Control recently not loading textures properly, Greedfall hiccuping, and a few other games giving me problems embarking on a wild goose choose to track down answers, I just said screw it.

My time to play is limited as it is, I don't have the time or patience to look up if drivers are the issue or going into game files to check things or troubleshooting this and that. So I just stick to consoles. Put a game in, install, boom I'm playing. That and honestly consoles already put out some damn good looking stuff, especially with next gen coming up. I'm more than satisfied with the visuals I get.

I mostly stick to RTS games on my PC now.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
For the longest time, I didn't think I'd ever be a PC person. I always assumed PCs were super expensive and it would be super fiddly.

Turns out it's only super expensive if you decide you want (unnecessary imo) super high end components. It's not fiddly at all, either. Most stuff just works. I spent around $500 on my PC and it'll probably get me through the next 2 or 3 years.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't want to deal with a computer, particularly a Windows computer with all the patches, drivers, virus scanners and so on.
The PS5 costs just half the price of a 3080 card alone before even considering all the other stuff I'd need to buy to build a PC. Of course the PC is going to considerably more powerful but the PS5 will get close enough graphically and I really don't care.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018
Prior to covid I would've said that the utility of desktops is waning, but seeing as how we're all much more stationary right now, I'd say now is a really good time to build a PC.

AriesM4rch

Oct 27, 2017
I do casual gaming on PC (Valorant, CS, older games) but I don't think I'd ever choose it as my primary platform cause I just prefer the convenience factor of consoles way more. Not only that if I'm going to invest in a powerful PC it would be for video editing and 3D rendering, not just gaming.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
I have a pre built desktop that is mainly used for final fantasy XI, XIV, and emulation. Outside of that I really don't care enough to move from console to pc.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I go through phases. Right now my PC is hooked up to my TV and it's not the best way to play the games. I'd rather have a dedicated setup. Once I get a job I'd love to move somewhere with more room.

Their comment is probably based on the games they care about and not raw numbers of exclusives per platform.

Well sure but still I think it's important for people to realize the breadth of games available on the platform. I think a lot of people underestimate these things because for the most part the PC enthusiasts don't do silly list wars they do silly memes instead.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
For me, computers are for more important things than video games. The only thing I desire from a capable PC is to run emulators up to at least Dolphin and 3DS without any issues, and that goal is too narrow for me to bother pursuing right now.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I game on everything I have: Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One and PC. I also play my Wii U and my Wii eveey now and then. I just go throught phases, like right now I'm playing Fall Guys and The Division on Pc and Mario 64 on my Switch.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
To some degree, all of the above. Ultimately though, the absolute main reason above all others is time. I am already heavily invested in the Nintendo and PlayStation ecosystems. Their first party franchises and other exclusives ensure I will always value them the most. Between first party, third party, and indie games, I have a massive backlog of stuff I care about already between the two ecosystems and their many generations of consoles.

Between work, my wife, cat, and other hobbies like movies, tv, reading, and comics I struggle enough as it is to make time for my favorite hobby, gaming. Even if for some reason no new games ever came out again, I would be set for a long, long time. Adding a third type of platform would just be overkill for me.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
No comfy way to set up my couch and tv with a pc.
I will probably build up a gaming pc eventually though.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
My console is the family media station. All movies, tv, music, and games are played through it. It is accessable to my wife, 9 year old, 7 year old, and 4 year old. I don't think a pc could fit this niche

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Even if your PC is up to any gaming task, there's no genuinely enjoyable bigscreen couch experience available (I've tried everything, from air mice to Controller Companion to the original Razer Turret), and I spend enough time at work sitting at a computer so I'll be damned if I do it during my leisure time anymore.

Consoles are great for being unobtrusive. Power it on, press A, and you're very quickly back in the same game you were playing previously.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
While I still enjoy firing up STALKER, Freelancer, Age of Empires, Civilization, etc., on occasion, it's just marred by endless frustration unless you're fully committed to it.

Case in point, I bought a physical copy of Battlefield 2 when COVID started, hoping to jump back in to one of my favorite games of all-time, remembering all the custom maps and mods that I would seek to download again. Much to my chagrin, it turns out the game simply can't run on modern Windows machines without hours of research, compatibility mode testing, registry edits, etc.. I eventually gave up and bought used copies of Bad Company 1 and 2 for my PS3.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I built a PC last year and I all of gamed on it maybe for five hours total. Too easy to get distracted otherwise. I don't regret building it, I can always game when I want to with it. I primarily use my PC for Youtube, Foobar2000, ERA, and that's it I think.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Too pricey for hardware, too many cheaters on online play, they don't have Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Insomniac, etc

I like the fact that when I buy a game day 1 it'll work on my hardware with no huge problems. I have friends that need to wait for patches to be released cause their graphic cards don't work well in some ways and stuff like that.

No thanks.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
It's easier to do local multiplayer on consoles, mainly the Nintendo Switch. I used to be a pc gamer but over the last few years I tend to prefer console exclusives from Sony and Nintendo. Got tired of dealing with shoddy ports, replacing and fixing hardware, and various game launchers on the PC side.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
PCs act up more often than consoles in my experience (crashes, glitches, incompatibilities etc). Both my pc and laptop can run the shooters I play decently (OW and BL3, that's basically what I play there), but if their Playstation version had gyro aiming I'd get them there. So, I went with the "inconvenient" option.

Here's hoping for gyro on PS5 becoming at least as common as it currently is on Switch.

The big plus for PC here is that due to regional pricing games are usually cheaper, but upgrading my pc would require me to upgrade almost everything, and a new console is cheaper.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I hate dealing with settings, especially when there's one area in a game that has performance issues that aren't present in other areas. Also, I hate having to use a keyboard or mouse with my TV, and you'll come across all sorts of annoying quirks with PC games, such as launchers you need a mouse to navigate, mouse pointers that auto-center on the screen when you enter a menu, mouse pointers that don't disappear when the game detects you using a controller, name entry that isn't possible without a keyboard, etc. Plus, Big Picture Mode isn't stable enough to use with the sort of ease that a console dashboard gives you. Windows also has overscan-related issues with TVs that can make it really irritating to configure, and PC games often wanting to change your desktop resolution just makes that even more of a headache. Oh, and controller management on PC sucks ass, and you have no way of knowing which controllers will/won't work in any given game if another controller is plugged in at the same time.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
A couple of reasons..

1 - I don't have the specs to run anything decently (nor I care to spend money and time trying to upgrade to something that can run modern games properly);
2 - I work on PC, so when I want to play games, I want to stay as far as possible from a computer;
3 - It's too distracting to play on PC; the rare occasions I experienced PC gaming, on the back of my head there was always the need to open the browser and search for something or listen to music. And I rather focus exclusively on the game.
5 - it's way simpler not to have to worry about any external factors when using a console. Just boot up the game and play. No need to check if there's something running that could add extra stress to the machine or the heat, for example.
6 - Nintendo and Sony games aren't on PC, so.. yeah :p

HonestAbe

May 19, 2020
PC gaming can be isolated at times. Not very family friendly. I can sit on my couch and play while the wife sits near me and reads or the kid can play around me.
Plus, I work on a computer all day, the last thing I want to go do is be on a computer when I get home.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
A mix of 2 and 3.

I have a fairly capable rig (7700K, RTX 2070, 16GB RAM, SSDs) and I've played a decent amount on it, but after encountering issues with a game every so often like Control recently not loading textures properly, Greedfall hiccuping, and a few other games giving me problems embarking on a wild goose choose to track down answers, I just said screw it.

My time to play is limited as it is, I don't have the time or patience to look up if drivers are the issue or going into game files to check things or troubleshooting this and that. So I just stick to consoles. Put a game in, install, boom I'm playing. That and honestly consoles already put out some damn good looking stuff, especially with next gen coming up. I'm more than satisfied with the visuals I get.

I mostly stick to RTS games on my PC now.

This is exactly my position as well, I've played some games on my laptop this year and was like "yeah, maybe I can deal with this" then tried Street of Rage 4 with Game Pass, didn't work, spent like an hour finding a post on reddit or someplace that explained the issue and sorted it out.
Then the same with the Touryst but this time a different issue, I didn't even fix that because I was entertained enough with Sea of Thieves but yeah... there's always something.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I just built a PC with my daughter over the summer and I ended up just back to playing on console. There really isn't much that's exclusive to PC that I'm crazy about playing, the cost for upkeep on tech is more involved and more expensive than it is for consoles, and the convenience is definitely a factor. I like being able to just kick back in my comfy chair, and do everything I want with it from my controller, I'm sure there are ways to get similar results from a PC but I'm just not that interested in fiddling with it.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Consoles are more convenient for me.
Nothing that's been PC exclusive has made me want to make the switch.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
As somebody who games on both PC and console, I'm having a good laugh at "Too inconvenient (setting up graphics for every game, PC games often not optimized ...)". When it comes to poorly optimized ports, I'll give you that. But this misconception that having access to settings being an inconvenience is one of the weirdest takes about PC gaming that still sticks around.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
How does that not make sense?

I have never PC gamed in my life outside of Unreal Tournament in a school computer lab, so I don't have the muscle memory to use keys for movement, and a mouse for aiming.

I grew up on joysticks.
As I said people here are living in the 90s.

You can just use the Xbox controller, you know?

Like, plug and play.

Heck, on steam you literally use almost every single controlle on the marketing, including Nintendo's and Sony's.

Oct 27, 2017
I care too much about PlayStation and Nintendo exclusives tbh...and most AAA third parties come to consoles or are made with consoles in mind. PC specific stuff mostly doesn't interest me.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Main reason is that I'm in front of a computer all day when working, cordoned off in my office or at work, away from family. The last thing I want to do is sit alone in my office at a computer more each day