• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have a 120Hz display ?

• Yes

Votes: 411 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 383 42.2%
  • I'll be getting one in the next year

Votes: 114 12.6%

• Total voters

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I've been thinking for a while about the 120fps feature that's being pushed by the new consoles' marketing in relation to the TV market, and how it compares to the resolution increases we got this gen.

In 2013, the vast majority of TVs offered up to 1080p resolution. If you were going to change your TV at any point, you wouldn't really have to worry about what model you were going to have to pick. Same goes for 2016/2017 with 4K ; if you had bought a TV somewhat recently back then, it's very likely you were covered.

For 120fps gaming though, things are quite different. High refresh rate panels aren't a thing in the entry level market. It only starts in the mid range, and even then it's not that common. It's only if you go high end that you won't have to worry.

With that in mind, I was wondering how console-ERA's hardware fares when it comes to the possibility of 120fps gaming.

Just to be clear, I know 120fps isn't likely going to be a standard this gen and most games will aim for 60 (yep, I'm optimistic), but I thought it's interesting that there's this option that's marketed to everyone, including in that very popular franchise where the president wants you to go kill people, and plenty of people might not even realize they won't be able to use it.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
console gamers...why not include pc gamers into the mix as well?

because i can guarantee you, even ppl on PC with more than 60hz monitor are the extreme minority. let alone ppl gaming on TV.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I am thinking about 1440p 144hz monitor but the price is too high unless it's on sale. At least the one I want anyway.

But ya I have nothing higher than 60hz :/

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Only 120+hz devices I have are the Galaxy S20+, iPad Pro, and my HP Omen gaming laptop. My TV is the 2019 TCL 6-Series, which taps out at 60hz, but I'm not upgrading. One, I LOVE this TV and the quality is fantastic, and two, there will not be that many games at 120hz anyway.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
my laptop has a 144hz freesync display. thats all i got besides a 60hz tv and monitor.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm thinking I'm gonna hold off to buy a TV next year, I'm currently on an old 1080p set, and I'm gonna wait until stuff like 120hz, VRR and HDMI 2.1 become more more mainstream features.

OP
OP
BoxManLocke

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
console gamers...why not include pc gamers into the mix as well?

because i can guarantee you, even ppl on PC with more than 60hz monitor are the extreme minority. let alone ppl gaming on TV.

They are a minority yes, especially if we're factoring in laptops (high-end gaming laptop user with a 60hz display here), but high refresh rate has been a thing for ages in the PC space so I assume most enthusiasts will be covered.
In comparison 120fps for console is the new shiny thing.

Apr 25, 2020
My PC monitor is 120hz, but sadly it's also Ultrawide, which means there is buckleys chance that either next gen console will support it.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I'm still extremely happy with my C7 and I'm sure 120 fps games will scale down to 60 fps just fine. I will get a 120 Hz TV eventually though, probably by next year or 2022.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I have one but it's the monitor that's a part of my gaming laptop and can't be used for any other sources other than the laptop itself. It also supports FreeSync.

I love it. I wish I had that feature on my living room TV, and I'm very much inclined to start working on getting a compatible TV.

I also doubt that consoles are going to use it much going forward. Right now, consoles still have their foot a little bit in the current generation as we transition, so the currently existing engines for games seem much easier to push to 120Hz as a fancy launch-window feature. But I think as the tech matures, and maybe as adoption remains relatively low, developers will probably forego tuning their games with 120Hz modes and start falling back on 30Hz or 60Hz standards. I would LOVE to be wrong, but I can't imagine console games sticking with it much past the transition period we're in right now. I think you'll have to stay in the PC realm to kind of ensure you're able to push that high on the refresh rates.

... So I've got one, just in a very narrowly-accessible capacity.

west

Oct 28, 2017
I have a Asus gaming monitor that goes to 165 hz. But it uses DP and older HDMI, so I guess 1440p woul be max? My TVs officially go to like 70, might be able to force them higher on pc, but doubt the consoles allow that.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
No, I have a 4K/HDR/60hz TV. (TCL P605).

Don't have any plans for upgrading to a 120hz panel any time soon, this TV should serve me through the PS5 as well, cause I don't anticipate a lot of Sony stuff being 120hz.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
C9 owner. I upgraded when I learned about the Series X's 120hz capacity. Going from a DLP Mitsubishi TV from like 12+ years ago to a 4K OLED with a good sound system has been an incredible experience.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I own a Sony X900E and supposedly I can force it at 1080, so I guess.. both? I don't know. lol

Bought it about a year ago, maybe two, and I don't see myself bothering upgrading anytime soon. (I had a 2006 low end Sony until then, so.. yeah. It may be awhile before I care enough to do so.)

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I use a 144hz monitor on my PC.
Does that count? lol
Mine should support 120hz through HDMI I think

Deleted member 28231

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I ordered a lg cx 65 days ago, mostly because of other reasons (was still on 1080p), but 120 hz is a welcome benefit.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Most PC users don't have 120hz displays.

I've been using the same 1080p60 monitor since 2013, even while rendering the games at 4k.

OP
OP
BoxManLocke

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
No, I have a 4K/HDR/60hz TV. (TCL P605).

Don't have any plans for upgrading to a 120hz panel any time soon, this TV should serve me through the PS5 as well, cause I don't anticipate a lot of Sony stuff being 120hz.

Yeah this is where I'm at, and I bought my TV just a few months ago.

I actually expect to upgrade in a couple of years but 120Hz isn't likely to be a priority for me.

I do want my next laptop to have a 144Hz screen though.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Recently got a LG CX, although none of the 120fps titles announced interest me so far.

OP
OP
BoxManLocke

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Another thing to note is that there hasn't been a noteworthy market shift towards 120hz yet, I don't expect the entry level to suddenly start getting covered. After all high-refresh rate panels do cost more money to make.

So the problem will likely be the same a few years down the line for a big chunk of the userbase, even as more and more 120fps games start to come out.

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Have no clue. I have a fairly decent Samsung 4k TV I bought last year, but I couldn't care less what hz it is to be honest. Was more focused on a combo of size/brand/price.

I also have two PC monitors, both are extremely basic.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
Speaking of, do we have a running list of 120FPS titles?

According to Eurogamer:

Full list of 120fps PS5 games

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • Dirt 5
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Rainbow Six Siege

Full list of 120fps Xbox Series X games

• Dirt 5
  • ExoMecha
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite (multiplayer)
  • Metal: Hellsinger
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Orphan of the Machine
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Second Extinction

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I can imagine DMC 5 looking great at 120fps, but i'm just not into DMC5 for some reason.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
My tv is 12 years old, 1080p, and it does 120. Was going to upgrade this year, but Sony still haven't updated their tv to support hdmi 2.1

OP
OP
BoxManLocke

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Have no clue. I have a fairly decent Samsung 4k TV I bought last year, but I couldn't care less what hz it is to be honest. Was more focused on a combo of size/brand/price.

I also have two PC monitors, both are extremely basic.

It's pretty simple for Samsung ; If you don't have a QLED model you have a 60Hz panel for sure, and in their QLED line only the 60 series doesn't offer high refresh rates.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
PC and console with 144hz display and getting a cx next month

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
My monitor is 155hz, and my girlfriend and I are picking up a 65" LG CX on Saturday. I'm happy with 30fps, but dang those high refresh rates sure are nice.