• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding doesn't exist on PC like Crash, Spyro or R* games doesn't exist on PC... the first year from console release.
Wake up people!
DS is a Sony 1st party game, a Sony owned I.P and using a Sony 1st party studios game engine, it's been tagged as everything at this point (console exclusive, PS exclusive, neither), it's not clear at all if it's a full exclusive or not, hell maybe they are still in negotiations with KojiPro about a possible PC release still and that's why it gets tagged something else every time.
It's not a game from Activision or Rockstar, don't use them as a sign for DS, as it's a very unique situation and if on PC, will likely be done by SIE proper, not PlayStation Mobile or a 3rd party, like their handful of games on PC.

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I stopped buying console games not named Nintendo all together and I wont be buying a PS5 at launch (or ever). Judgment will most likely be on PC down the line, so is the entire Yakuza franchise (which are the only PS4 "exclusives" I care about).

If companies want me to play their games then they should start releasing them on as many platforms as possible.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
That's why I stopped buying console games not named Nintendo all together and I wont be buying a PS5 at launch (or ever). Judgment will most likely be on PC down the line, so is the entire Yakuza franchise (which are the only PS4 "exclusives" I care about).

If companies want me to play their games then they should start releasing them on as many platforms as possible.
So when are we getting BOTW on Steam?

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Even if DS lands on PC it still is a PS exclusive. PCs aren't consoles, so the term console exclusive is correct.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure why this is an issue when their was plenty of excitement for NMS and Hellblade despite both also having PC ports. These games were grouped up with many other PS exclusives. So that adds to my confusion.

I think this was debunked. Don't quote me on that though.
I agree, just said it's a pointless thread that turned out to be about DS...

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Cuphead is lifetime exclusive on Xbox for the console space, but in the PC space it's going to be on every platform we can. So we'll launch on PC and look into Mac and Linux thereafter.

I just cant get myself to care. If game is more successful than a dev thought, and they move it to more platforms good for them. Things change, and its stupid to lock yourself to one console if a new market opens up.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
In a general sense on this topic, when I see "console exclusive" that pretty much means we'll see it on PC too. Just depends how long we have to wait before that happens. But even if they say exclusive without the console qualifier, things can change. Hell, even if they say console exclusive, again, things can and arguably should change. Maybe a game sells poorly as an exclusive, they work out a way to terminate the exclusivity clause, and they can release the game on a different platform. The way I see it, that lets the developer reach a wider audience and provide additional income for their studio, more people get to play the game that might not have the original hardware, etc. How can any of that be viewed as a bad thing outside of console war nonsense?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Exclusivity has always been a tenuous proposition (I remember when SFII was exclusive to the SNES until it wasn't) and - GASP - advertising has been known to be deceptive.

Nowadays, exclusivity is usually a finite window, not an iron clad promise that Game X will remain exclusive to a platform in perpetuity.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The game uses Decima, and is funded by Sony, and is a Sony IP.

At MOST we will see a Heavy Rain / B2S / Detroit situation where the game comes to PC much later due to exclusivity running out, etc.

But even that I don't see ever happening - or at least not for a long time.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
The Detroit situation I can understand. But look at Death Stranding,I think it is basic consumers right to know if it is going to release somewhere else or not. Or at least who owns the ip. If I'm buying something I would like to know who is the owner of the ip. Just who is "publishing it" is not enough.

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
The Detroit situation I can understand. But look at Death Stranding,I think it is basic consumers right to know if it is going to release somewhere else or not. Or at least who owns the ip. If I'm buying something I would like to know who is the owner of the ip. Just who is "publishing it" is not enough.
We know who owns the IP Sony

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

At MOST we will see a Heavy Rain / B2S / Detroit situation where the game comes to PC much later due to exclusivity running out, etc.

This would be true if Sony didn't act vague, not openly disclosing the nature of the exclusivity of DS among other things that don't make it the same case as their full first party traditional IPs and Bloodborne. In short, there wouldn't be a one bit of smoke coming from the Sony camp if the game was a locked PS exclusive. All of this smoke signals it to being a console exclusive contrary to some people's beliefs here.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In many cases it can be hard to quantify what exclusive means because circumstances change over time depending on a ton of variables, todays fully exclusive thing might be tomorrow's multi platform thing.

Something like Detroit might never have been planned for a PC release, but developments over the last year might have caused Sony to be willing to negotiate the publishing rights they hold. Stuff from ThatGameCompany, Remedy and Double Fine have had similar things happen, where the developers negotiated publishing rights for older products.

Obviously there should be more transparency when the titles release shortly after on other platforms and the release was planned before its original exclusive release, but the fact is that we just don't know the terms of whatever contracts these companies have with each other.

OP
OP

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
A trailer from May 18 not having the tag doesn't mean much, especially when Detroit still had the "Only on PS" tag on the boxart. Like do you seriously think Sony where "lying" about Detroit? A game they fully own and funded. QD very clearly got a special deal after the fact, that allowed them to port over their Sony owned games to PC.
The box saying that doesn't mean they didn't know as shown with the Yakuza games releasing with it after the PC ports were not only planned internally, but publicly announced.

Jan 20, 2019
The box saying that doesn't mean they didn't know as shown with the Yakuza games releasing with it after the PC ports were not only planned internally, but publicly announced.

Sony never own the Yakuza series neither they do own the Persona series. They did and they do own the QD games, just decided to release them later one because of something that happen in QD.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Sony owns it.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Or you could do a minimal amount of research before paying money for something, but then what would we whinge about?

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Points to them not planning on a PC release, more than 1 trailer not having "only on PS" does.
The Yakuza games released well before the PC versions got announced on PS4 (years going by the initial release). Marketing with the old boxart a fews weeks after (if that) a PC port was announced isn't them trying to mislead.

Last edited:

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's annoying but if I was making a game and taking limited time exclusivity money helped me keep a studio open or even just make the game closer to its initial vision, I would certainly take it without hesitation.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it's on Sony to let you know it will come out on another platform at a later date? Just don't buy it for PS4 if you believe the evidence that it will eventually appear on PC. It's on you to make that decision, you expecting a Publisher who is publishing a game who owns the IP of the game their publishing to let you know the game will be coming to PC later? Makes no sense.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

That's not a case of exclusivity running out, it's probably a deal they made with Sony. EGS pages even lists Sony as the IP holder.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's really simple, if you dont have what it's being advertised for, you either wait or buy something its on.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

The only reason QD's PS catalogue is releasing on PC is because Sony allowed them to. "Exclusivity running out" isnt what happened here

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
The only reason QD's PS catalogue is releasing on PC is because Sony allowed them to. "Exclusivity running out" isnt what happened here

So when i saw your comment, i got curious & checked all 3 QD games pages on EGS.. and this what it said about all 3 QD games..

Heavy Rain™ ©2009-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe Developed by Quantic Dream. "Heavy Rain" is a trademark of Quantic Dream. All rights reserved.

Beyond: Two Souls™ ©2013-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. "Beyond: Two Souls" and "Beyond" are trademarks or registered trademarks of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

Detroit: Become Human™ ©2018-2019 Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. Developed by Quantic Dream. "Detroit Become Human" is a trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

So this basically confirms that Sony at the very least currently owns 2 or the 3 IPs of QD which are Beyond: Two Souls and Detroid: Become Human respectively and basically Sony "allowed" fully funded, owned IPs on PC maybe at the request of Epic games with some cash ofcourse.

So, people should correct the notion that Quantic Dream bought all the IPs back from Sony for these 3 games. Idk if the heavy rain trademark is legit or a mistake on EGS's part since its abit odd with it only remaining with QD and the rest are Sony's IPs.

Last edited:

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
So this basically confirms that Sony at the very least currently owns 2 or the 3 IPs of QD which are Beyond: Two Souls and Detroid: Become Human respectively and basically Sony "allowed" fully funded, owned IPs on PC maybe at the request of Epic games with some cash ofcourse.

So, people should correct the notion that Quantic Dream bought all the IPs back from Sony for these 3 games. Idk if the heavy rain trademark is legit or a mistake on EGS's part since its abit odd with it only remaining with QD and the rest are Sony's IPs.
Afaik, QD was shopping Heavy Rain around to get it funded and Sony took the offer. Sony probably has publishing rights at the very least which is why a PC port is happening and not anything else. As for the other two games, Sony probably licensed QD Beyond and Detroit to release on PC and Epic decided to moneyhat them. IIRC Epic even came out and said they had nothing to do with them getting PC ports to begin with. Sony did a similar thing with Anapurna/thatgamecompany so that Journey and Flower could get on PC