• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is one of my biggest issues with playing games on my PS4, Switch or XBOX ONE. I want to talk about this, highlight what I feel are the key issues, and talk about what I'd like to see moving forward. I hope this promotes some discussion on the topic, as I'd love to hear other perspectives.

In my opinion, the controls on console, particularly those offered in third and first person shooters or games where it's important that the player can aim the camera accurately, are consistently terrible. This issue is caused by various factors which I'd like to discuss in detail, alongside breaking down the impact these issues are likely to have on the player experience for both players broadly, and specifically players with disabilities.

Many games have a terrible default configuration

In many games, the default configuration is what I would consider, terrible. Most commonly, you have games with an excessive amount of aim acceleration, or games with features like large deadzones. These all affect how responsive the game is likely to feel, and how in-control the player is likely to be when playing the game.

For example, by default Doom Eternal features a crazy amount of aim acceleration, and this acceleration ramps up suddenly and dramatically. You can adjust this in the settings menu, but the default configuration is quite poor.

Pay Day 2 is outright unresponsive by default, and relies on a 'snap to target' aiming system that overly helps the player to aim in order to compensate for the how the game is so poor to control.

Recently, The Hunt Showdown released and this game has again, a large amount of aim acceleration coupled with a good deal of input delay. Like many other games it's both difficult to control as a result, and the game suffers for it.

Historically, Uncharted 3 even shipped with god-awful controls in its singleplayer mode, and the developers required community feedback (from GAF) to help them understand what the issue was (again, it seemed to be a combination of input latency and a aim acceleration making the controls feel unresponsive).

Obviously having unresponsive controls impacts everyone that plays the game. But for gamers with disabilities and in particular, (e.g. cognitive or motor disabilities) having a feature like aim acceleration which very suddenly pushes their aim dramatically into a certain direction, can be very difficult to adjust to. It can make these games harder to play than intended, and outright uncomfortable for the player.

Your controls aren't 'weighty', they're garbage

One of the common arguments against the way that these games control is that it's a 'design choice' and that the controls were supposed to feel 'weighty'. But if this were the case, why do games like The Hunt Showdown and Pay Day 2 control just fine with a keyboard and mouse, but not a controller? Why do games like Uncharted 3 and Killzone 2 feature post-hoc 'precision modes' that fix their controls?

In the case of PC ports like Pay Day, the controls feel as though they were an after thought. Something copied from a Unity tutorial as a means of pacifying the player base that the developer have little understanding of. Pay Day 2's console community feel like second class citizens to their PC counterparts, missing many updates and general attention from the developers, and as such it makes sense that they get a shitty control configuration to match.

Unless the developers explicitly explain, or at least hint at a deliberate design intention behind the unresponsive control system you can assume it just wasn't intentional. In my time as a user researcher I have never met a developer trying to make the controls feel unresponsive. Awkward and comically counter intuitive? Yes (see Octodad, Terover, and similar games), but not unresponsive.

Many games offer only minimal options to adjust the controls

This one is both an an issue that affects everyone, but also severely impacts the experience for player with disabilities. In spite of the less than ideal control configuration that many games offer, these games also tend not to feature a good set of options to customise the controls. Just to provide some examples...
  • Many games don't offer full customised button remapping
  • Many games only allow you to adjust the 'sensitivity' but do not allow you to change the 'acceleration' of the sticks
  • Many games don't allow you to adjust the controller deadzones
The result is that players are stuck playing the game with undesirable stick controls, and button mappings.

For players with disabilities, being able to remap the controls can be vital to ensuring that they can play the game comfortably.

The OS level accessibility settings are mostly useless

A common counterargument (at least for remapping) is that if you want to remap the controls you can just do it at the system level. This is often used by both developers to de-prioritise the provision of custom settings, and players to defend the current lack of options. Despite this, these OS level accessibility options are typically vastly insufficient in allowing players to play the game comfortably.

Crucially, the OS level options a) change the controls in every 'mode' the game has. For instance a player might want to jump with L1, but if they do that, they also make L1 the confirm button in the menus, which may be both counter intuitive, or for whatever reason difficult for them to press) and b) the OS level controls do nothing for many in-game options like stick sensitivity, or acceleration.

The settings that are present are often, borderline incomprehensible

Many games do feature more in-depth customisation options, but these settings are often offered to the player alongside vague terminologies that would be difficult to decipher to anyone but the game developers themselves. Apex Legends does a good job in providing relatively understandable explanations alongside it's 'advanced look controls', but many other games throw these in without a clear indication of what they are going to do.

For instance, Doom Eternal has an option called 'aim smoothing'. My best guess is that this is their version of 'aim acceleration' but probably adjusts other variables too. The game doesn't explain what it's doing, so you have to slide it up and down, go back in and out, and see if it helps you achieve what you were hoping for with the controls.

Overwatch provides options for the aiming style, these are as follows
  • Exponential ramp
  • Linear ramp
  • Dual zone
rE2CY7H.png

Do you know what these options do? I could take a guess, but there's little clarity provided in-game. Meanwhile games like Paladins offer similarly non-interpretable settings like 'dynamic', 'classic' and 'precision'. Seriously, what the fuck are these? Ironically, precision is by far the most unconventional, and likely the most difficult for anyone to... well, be precise with.

Meanwhile in Battlefield we have a slider labelled 'coefficient'.

7WSVvDF.png

E46ORNT.png

The game does provide a description of what each setting does along the side, yet players still need to hover over, and read this paragraph to understand it. It'd be far better if the sliders label more accurately, and intuitively conveyed it's function.

Limited and obtuse settings like these those in the aforementioned games, lead to player experiences like this:

Where players simply, can't settle on a configuration where they feel comfortable, and that's if they even bother to try and adjust the controls before bouncing off the game.

Comfort through familiarity

People take comfort in familiarity, familiar places, familiar smells, familiar feels, and controls are no different. When an Apex Legends player hops onto something like The Hunt Showdown, it's very likely that one of the first things they'll do is seek to adjust the settings in-game so as to try to get the camera to move in a way that feels familiar to them. Why? Because this is something that they're comfortable with. They then hit your menu and find the settings difficult to understand (due to the vague and obtuse terminology), despite numerous attempts, nothing they do can get the game to feel comfortable to them.

At this stage, before the player has even got to the meat of the game, the game has already failed to meet their expectations at two stages (the initial feel, and then the lack of settings to adjust). Do you think this increases, or decreases the chances that this player will stick around to try out your game?

At present, every game you play on console will work against your muscle memory for the last game you've played. Outside of games from the same developer, it's incredibly difficult to find two games that have the same feel to their controls.

In summary

Many games have poorly configured control layouts and stick configurations by default. Most games have very poor options to customise these controls. These often, awkward and difficult to use controls, combined with limited options both harm the overall player experience, and make these games less accessible to players with disabilities. Despite these issues, there is a way forward, developers can design better controls, control options, and ultimately, better player experiences with some more consideration to these areas of the game.

Specifically I would suggest...
  • Include 'control feel' as part of the focus of your user testing. Ask players about how the game controls. Ask players if ever felt difficult to be precise, or to press the buttons they wanted to. Leverage this feedback to help the developers tune the 'default' settings so that the game feels more comfortable out of the box.
  • Include a robust set of options that allow players to tweak and tune the game so that it feels comfortable to them. Full custom remapping is essential, particularly for players with disabilities. The OS level remapping options are not good enough.
  • Use familiar and intuitive language so that players can understand what your options do. Offer clear descriptions of each setting so that players understand what they are doing when making adjustments to the control configuration
  • Remember that game feel should not be an afterthought, when players hit your gameplay experience, how it feels to move move around the world you've created is the first thing that players will take away from the experience. Everything that's built is framed inside of how it controls to play and it can be make or break for the player experience.
In any case, I'd love to know what other people on ERA think about this. Does any of this bother you?

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yes a lot of us got used to the dual analogue controls but they're far from intuitive and far from immersive. And all the different settings for each game make it even harder. Have to say i don't like mouse and keyboard either but it's certainly ridiculously easier to aim, for instance. I did like the Wiimote though it also wasn't perfect.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
In some ways the UX in games are a decade behind the rest of the industry, yet in others like in VR they are breaking new ground. Your suggestions are quite valid, and have been part of the UX dogma for the past couple decades, though for obvious reasons we have less complex controls. This is countered by the fact that expectations are quite different between using an app or a full fledged game where the user have some sort of focus investment.

There is also an argument about "mastering the controls" as part of the challenge in games. This is antithesis to what we do, but admittedly I'm not in the games industry. Overall it definitely can take a few steps forward, though standardizing controls won't be a reality, if ever I think as after all games are work of creative art. We do need to avoid using words like coefficient though, and focus more on affordances.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
The aim acceleration sure is strong on Doom Eternal. It's like your crosshairs are skating on ice.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Poor controls annoy me to no end.

It is infuriating.

So many devs just don't seem to even think about their controls.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at the very least every single game should ship with the option to fully remap button mappings. This should be a completely basic feature and a failure to include it is a complete failure to take into account players with disabilities or even just different preferences. And no, creating a few preset profiles isn't good enough. I don't know how this isn't an industry standard, honestly.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The aim acceleration sure is strong on Doom Eternal. It's like your crosshairs are skating on ice.

If you turn down the 'aim smoothing' it seems to turn off the aim acceleration.

It still doesn't feel ideal though. You lose a lot of control in the inner region of the stick, there's a balance in there that can't be achieved via Dooms 'smoothing' slider that can't be achieved without a more detailed set of options. But, there's a lot of work they could do to just help it control better out of the box. I imagine a lot (probably the majority) will just play Doom with it's default settings, clumsily struggling to aim.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah dual sticks are horrible. I am used
to them but I'd take other methods of control any day. Gyro aiming helps but I would like more games to use the lock on method like in Metroid Prime games. Games in general should not rely mostly on dual stick controls.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Indie games are some of the worst for crazy, un-mappable controls. Tiny teams get so caught up in their own bullshit that they can't see the wood for the trees sometimes.

"Press Y to jump."
Why? Why is it not A like every other game?
"A is crouch."
Why is that not Down?
"It is! It's mapped to both A and Down!"
Couldn't you have mapped jump to B as well then?
"Oh, no, that activates the single-use enchanted pocket watch you get 17 hours in."
"Also, we've mapped attack to L3 for some reason. No, none of the shoulder buttons or triggers do anything. You're welcome."

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If you turn down the 'aim smoothing' it seems to turn off the aim acceleration.

It still doesn't feel ideal though. You lose a lot of control in the inner region of the stick, there's a balance in there that can't be achieved via Dooms 'smoothing' slider that can't be achieved without a more detailed set of options. But, there's a lot of work they could do to just help it control better out of the box. I imagine a lot (probably the majority) will just play Doom with it's default settings, clumsily struggling to aim.
Is Eternal at all similar to Doom 2016?

I played a fair amount of 2016 but eventually just gave up because I couldn't enjoy the game.

Another game which is truly awful is Dishonored 2. I have never played a game with as bad controls as that game. It straight up made me feel sick to play.

The Wolfenstein games also have pretty meh acceleration curves - it's not so bad as Dishonored 2 but it's not great. Not sure what's up with Bethesda but they really seem to struggle with getting aiming right.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes a lot of us got used to the dual analogue controls but they're far from intuitive and far from immersive. And all the different settings for each game make it even harder. Have to say i don't like mouse and keyboard either but it's certainly ridiculously easier to aim, for instance. I did like the Wiimote though it also wasn't perfect.

I can see why players have issues with dual analog controls but to clarify, this isn't an attack on the controllers themselves. I'm talking about how, within that space, developers could be doing a lot more to make their games control better with dual analog.

Personally I like dual analog, but I grew up with it. For me it's more intuitive than a keyboard and mouse (although of course, less accurate) but I feel that in the virtual space I can move and shoot without thinking. It can feel fluid and thoughtless, but that depends on the developer.

Is Eternal at all similar to Doom 2016?

I played a fair amount of 2016 but eventually just gave up because I couldn't enjoy the game.

Another game which is truly awful is Dishonored 2. I have never played a game with as bad controls as that game. It straight up made me feel sick to play.

I liked Doom and I absolutely loved Doom Eternal. I think both of them have the same issue with their controls. However I would say that much of it is resolved by getting rid of the 'aim smoothing'. With that said, it's never perfect, it never feels as good as something like Halo 5, Apex Legends or Call of Duty.

There are a lot of reasons for that but one that people forget about is that console players often aim using their left analog stick too. When making small adjustments, players step to the left or right to get on target, but in Doom it doesn't work as you'd expect. At least in Doom 2016, there's no real analogue movement, just walking, and then running. That can mean that making those small adjustments that players don't even think about, become more difficult because your characters footing moves more or less than you expect when you press the left analog stick.

The other is just the lack of control you have over the settings. You either have some awful acceleration implementation, or you take that off and then it becomes a linear increase as you press the stick. Linear can make it quite fiddly to make small adjustments, so it's difficult to nail precise shots at times.

In general, I couldn't take my mind of of the controls while playing the game. I loved Doom Eternal, but quite commonly I'd stumble with the controls in a way I wouldn't in another game and it'd pull me out of the experience.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019
especially controls in old games. Last time I've played Doom 3 on ps4 and omg that button layout is hell. Ofc aim is awful too. I'm always curious is it that hard to make aim in every game like it is in CoD? A genre doesn't matter, just make that damn aim like in CoD...

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I can see why players have issues with dual analog controls but to clarify, this isn't an attack on the controllers themselves. I'm talking about how, within that space, developers could be doing a lot more to make their games control better with dual analog.

Personally I like dual analog, but I grew up with it. For me it's more intuitive than a keyboard and mouse (although of course, less accurate) but I feel that in the virtual space I can move and shoot without thinking. It can feel fluid and thoughtless, but that depends on the developer.
Yes i know. But that comes on top of the dual analog controls themselves.
And no, it's simply not intuitive, except for in games like Stardust, where it actually shines.

Intuitive is when you give it to your parents and they know what to do with it or pick it up really quickly. Like a Wiimote.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't play that many shooters, I think the current setup is fine as a common denominator. It is obviously a collection of compromises that doesn't do any one thing particularly well, but I don't know what the alternative will be besides just supporting all specialized controllers (wheel/mouse/fight sticks) which the consoles support anyway.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I agree completely. The problem is the same as always, having good control customization options is not going to help sell your game, so publishers don't bother with them unless it's absolutely necessary or they have eSports in mind (like Overwatch like you mentioned).

There's not a lot developers can do there I fear.

I will say though, I think you're vastly exaggerating how many players actually bother changing the default controls.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
at the very least every console should have system-wide control remapping and tweaking of all functions. also, each game should come with remappable buttons since not all games use the same controls (system wide remapping wouldn't work as well if every game still has the same fuctions on different buttons)

bell_hooks

Banned
Nov 23, 2019
Every developer should read this OP. Every fucking one.
There are games on PS4 I'm never gonna buy despite being very interested in them, because I know they control (mostly camera) like garbage.
Also fuck minigames that require precise use of two thumbsticks, you should have option to skip them

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that controls feel awful on console, and that's a big reason why I struggle to go back and play them.

People praised Doom 2016 on consoles, but I found the default controls on PS4 and Switch to be the worst I'd experienced. I can't go back.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Yes i know. But that comes on top of the dual analog controls themselves.
And no, it's simply not intuitive, except for in games like Stardust, where it actually shines.

Intuitive is when you give it to your parents and they know what to do with it or pick it up really quickly. Like a Wiimote.

I mean, for me I played games incrementally. So I didn't have an issue with dual analog. It did feel intuitive. I played a tonne of 3D platformers, then I played stuff like Goldeneye, so I was playing like.. half a dual analog shooter there, then I felt the transition to dual analog shooters was quite gradual and intuitive, because I grew up with the evolution of these controllers.

I agree, that it's not intuitive to pick up and play.

With that said, I've also gotten elderly people to play Wii games in hospitals before and it certainly wasn't intuitive much of the time. Definitely more intuitive than a dual analog control, but getting them to play a comparable game like a shooter where they needed to move was impossible. Whether it's a keyboard and mouse, touch screen or controller, they're not innate skills that we possess and people learn how to interact with them with time and practice.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes you are right. A lot of AAA games play horrible on Console/Gamepad. Ghost Recon, Division, Control, Doom Eternal... Basically everything where you need to shoot shit feels awful.

I much prefer games that are built with controller in mind. Nintendo Stuff mostly. Most of the Sony Exclusives feel great as well.

Deleted member 64503

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 13, 2020
Every game should have remapping doom eternal is a great example of this with almost every button used consistently.

With aiming in games it also depends on your setup. Yesterday I was playing the RE3 demo again and couldnt hit a damn thing until I realized I forgot to put my tv in game mode and then was hitting everything.
When I had my old tv even in fighting games, easy combos were made difficult then I bought a fast monitor and it changed everything.
Now I have a great monitor and a tv with a amazing game mode, people really need to pay attention to what they are playing on.

The biggest exception to this is games that 100% are designed with auto aim in mind like RDR2 they will almost always control like shit if you turn auto aim off.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
RDR2 is a great recent example of horrible controls on console and exchanging it for a different set of problems on PC. On PC the best compromise is controller with gyro aim because it gives you the analog controls and almost mouse-like accuracy. Keyboard controls are not great as there are a shitton of mappings. On consoles you can either aim at medium to long distance or short distance comfortably, not both at the same time because it's impossible to set the controls up for both. Makes shooting a complete mess.

Gyro aim needs to become a thing. It is the single biggest improvement you could make to console controls.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Latency is an aggravating problem for joystick controls, especially with acceleration. At 30 fps you only have a chance to (consciously or subconsciously) react every 33.3 milliseconds. We can partly compensate after enough repetition through muscle memory and prediction, but it never feels good.

At low frame rates, it feels like you're actively fighting the interpretation of your stick motion, while at high frame rates it feels like your thumb has a more direct connection to your aim.

If you want your mind blown, hook a controller up a PC in a game you can run at 120 fps+ on a high refresh rate monitor. Even compared to 60 fps games, it feels like I have vastly improved control.

While high refresh rates don't "solve" dual stick controls, it's a good brute force band-aid. If we're lucky, console performance will be a higher priority next-gen.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah at the very least every single game should ship with the option to fully remap button mappings. This should be a completely basic feature and a failure to include it is a complete failure to take into account players with disabilities or even just different preferences. And no, creating a few preset profiles isn't good enough. I don't know how this isn't an industry standard, honestly.

I've implemented it before; there's a lot of potential pitfalls. I'm sure I've written about it before, let me see if I can find it:

mclem said:
There's several issues with it - none are insurmountable, but all require you to be wary.

Firstly, there's the fact that you need to handle control in a central part of the code (so remaps are handled universally) - it's possible for an arbitrary routine to poll the pad directly, and you need to avoid this. Which is easy to do - provided you plan the infrastructure to do so in advance. Unfortunately, if you're trying to prototype something quickly, that can fall by the wayside, and it's a much harder thing to put in retroactively.

Secondly, there's the fact that there was - and I assume there still are - requirements for *menus* on console titles to behave consistently across all platforms. On Xbox, it's required for A to be 'accept' and B to be 'cancel', for instance. So you have to handle menu mappings independently of the game control mappings, another place where it's possible to make mistakes.

Thirdly, remapping controls is a powerful tool, and one of the problems with powerful tools is that people will screw up using it. We have to make it idiot-proof. We can't *let* the player remap jump and duck to the same button, for instance, no matter how much we want to. The game I wrote control remap routines for - the original Sniper Elite - suffered a lot, too, from the fact that the control design - made with a PC-centric outlook - used more controls than the pad actually had, meaning a large number of controls were of the form "Tap A to do something, hold A to do something else". We just about got around that by remapping *all* of the controls on a single button in one go, but I was never particularly satisfied with that result.

It's very possible to do - I mean, I have *done* it! - but it can require a lot of iteration and testing to do it right, and that time may be better allocated elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I do fully agree that it's something that ought to be done - but it's not trivial, and as such I can see other tasks taking priority.

(I should mention that that was written from a development perspective from before the engine revolution, so I don't know if the likes of UE make some aspects of this rather simpler now)

Edit: One other thought about the more aim-and-acceleration related aspects:

I wonder if a component of this is a little tied to the 'quickly-implemented prototype that never gets refined' aspect, in that say something is cobbled together early on in development with an intent towards making it feel smoother later on... but then *when* the team gets around to looking at that, they've already spent a year with the old controls so they're used to them and can't see the issues as easily at that point?

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do agree that games need to have a much wider swath of customization options and the defaults should perhaps start a lot less twitchy/imprecise presets... But I did personally find Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal to feel great on controller compared to the vast majority of shooters on the market. I haven't tried this in Eternal yet, but with 2016 at one point I was able to keep the sensitivites to default and turn off aim assist and still do quite well.

But again, wanna stress I'm not trying to downplay anyone's aggravation here and absolutely support seeing many more ways to customize and would even argue that the vast majority of games need to take a slower approach to their defaults, just finding myself at odds at the oft-cited examples right now...

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Unless it's a snappy 60fps Shooter I think the "weightiness" on analog controls are an improvement over Mouse & Keyboard, and we know that most of the time the "weightiness" is a result of bad animation-cycles and blending as opposed to a desire to make it heavy. I think there is so much emphasis on making controls correspond to realistic movement and motion-captured animation now that developers are simply willing to sacrifice a bit of user control to achieve a better looking game.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I just wish all console games that have a PC port would let you remap controls. They have to have button remapping in because of PC. Same goes for FoV options as well. So frustrating, was very happy when Doom Eternal let me remap them. The absolute worst is when a game has a bizarre control scheme that's not anything like the standard set out by almost every game in the genre and you can't change it.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of aiming, Borderlands 1 is the only game I remember having trouble with. For some reason, the default setting for the aiming speed is much higher in BL1 than in any other FPS I've played before or since (it might be worth noting that BL1 is the only BL game I've played so far). In terms of default controls, I think Cuphead is the only game that comes to mind that has a weird default button layout. And in terms of UI with unfamiliar or vague terminology, Doom 2016 and Halo 5 are the two games that immediately come to mind. I had no idea what "chromatic aberration" was before I played Doom 2016, for example. I can't say that any of those issues are common to me, though I do agree with your suggestions.

I'm curious, OP; what are some console games that you think get it right or come close to it when it comes to any of these issues?

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I came into this thread on the defensive, but I agree with pretty much every point you've made about fps's.

Weird input delay and aim acceleration is the reason I've bought every Dishonored game and Prey and had to drop them an hour in. I want to love Arkane games, I love their settings and the obvious hard work and passion that has gone into them, but I feel like I'm fighting with the controls and that's a deal breaker for me.

I also played RDR2 for 20 minutes at a friend's house and knew I wouldn't be able to commit to it due to how bad it feels to play. I also dropped The Witcher 3 for feeling awkward and sludgy to control after a couple of hours, what made it worse was finishing Dragon's Dogma the day before which handles like a dream.

I'm probably missing out on some of the best stories of this console gen, but if I'm going to put more than 20 hours into a game, it has to feel snappy and intuitive, not slow and weird or "realistic".

As someone who has bounced between PC and console gaming for the past 20 years, I don't feel like current controller design is inherently bad at all. I'd say it's the superior input method for a bunch of genres. For FPS and TPS, it's obviously not as accurate as KB+M, but it can be perfectly usable and fun to use if the defaults are responsive and suit the gameplay. Talos Principle on console is a great example of good, snappy first person controls. The Evil Within is also an interesting example where the game actually has pretty natural aiming movement, but being survival horror, it adds deliberate jank in the form of crosshair wavering and a stamina system that you can mitigate through the upgrade system. If it had huge deadzones and sloppy crosshair movement it would've been a much worse game.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
In terms of aiming, Borderlands 1 is the only game I remember having trouble with. For some reason, the default setting for the aiming speed is much higher in BL1 than in any other FPS I've played before or since (it might be worth noting that BL1 is the only BL game I've played so far). In terms of default controls, I think Cuphead is the only game that comes to mind that has a weird default button layout. And in terms of UI with unfamiliar or vague terminology, Doom 2016 and Halo 5 are the two games that immediately come to mind. I had no idea what "chromatic aberration" was before I played Doom 2016, for example.

I'm curious, OP; what are some console games that you think get it right or come close to it when it comes to any of these issues?

Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 have both good default configurations, and a good set of options for players to adjust should they want to. They also do a good job protecting players against ruining the controls for themselves by hiding some of the more advanced options behind a setting called 'advanced look controls' that you have to manually enable. For the most part, the terminology the settings use is fairly intuitive, and where it isn't they offer explanations of what each setting actually does, with visualisations to reflect the change.

They also offer a 'safe space' for players to practice, which helps players adjust the controls in a risk / pressure free environment should they want to (the gauntlet in Titanfall 2, the firing range in Apex Legends)

b13b01fb66baf2db.png

Battlefield V also comes close as it has a decent default configuration for its controls and a similar degree of options to those offered in Respawn's games, but they're all laid out and explained quite poorly. Plus, there's no obvious place to test your control configuration.

Fortnite matches Apex Legends with its settings, offering full custom rebinding plus a great deal of options for customising how the analog sticks feel when moving the camera.

That aside, out of the box Call of Duty games control well (although all but the most recent one lacks options for reconfiguration).

In general you might notice a pattern with those games, in that the most popular tend to have the better default controls, and the most robust settings for customisation. I don't think that's coincidental. Sure, part of it is that they gained success and then they had the luxury of spending whatever they needed to respond to community feedback and improve the control settings (Fortnites have improved over time), but the other aspect is that people simply don't stick around if your game controls poorly, at least not most of the time.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I feel like the deadzone and weighty controls for analog stick controls is helping me. I don't know if I'm too used to digital sticks from starting out in the 80s with computers or what it is, snappy and precise analog stick controls only work for me if there is no stress. If I get stressed out I'm using bigger movements, slam the stick to the edge, and gets into that scenario where you move past your target and then back too much before finally aiming right.

But maybe tight controls with no acceleration and slooow movements would work? hmm

BOTW gyro controls is the best controls for aiming, unless you have a mouse.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Wow! Great, impassioned rundown of the situation, OP. Personally, I am baffled by the lack to the customizable controls in games. Like, I was recently playing two games (one single player, and one multiplayer) which had rolls. The issue is, the rolls were mapped to different buttons. Neither game would allow me to remap the controls. Needless to say, I died multiple times reflexively hitting the wrong button. What madness is this?

I am lucky enough to only be impacted in a really minor way. I get that. However, as the OP outlined, this is a pretty small change that would help everybody. Why it isn't bog standard escapes me.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
I loved the hunt showdown on the pc when it first came out.a bit clunky was fun and being. On mouse it was still responsive.
I don't have a pc anymore and planning on getting it on the PS4 but watching some videos, wow it looks so horrible to aim.

I am someone who loved killzone 2 and it's heavy aiming.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Weird input delay and aim acceleration
Speaking of such, Shadow of the Tomb Raider comes to my mind (Rise also had some weird input delay but only in SotTR I did thorough testing). The aim acceleration is fixed/non-adjustable in SotTR so it takes a while to make a full turn (or even 90°) while, at the same time, it's still too sensitive to make subtle moves and to precision aim. Then I found out that you can "cheat" the acceleration and reach maximum aim/camera/turning speed by circle around the stick! So the acceleration doesn't happen over time but over distance... just spin the stick very briefly and quickly and you have that fast turning speed you may want to have for let's say a 180° turn. It's utterly ridiculous.

I also don't buy the "weighty" argument since there are games which feel "weighty" and offer good animations (Control, Max Payne 3, Apex Legends, Uncharted, oddly enough TR 2013, which didn't suffer from RotTR's and SotTR's problems) without having bad or delayed controls.

Fortunately I play 90% of my games on PC so I choose whichever input method feels better. There are shooters I play with a gamepad, some feel outright "weird" which is then when I stop tinkering with the settings and just switch to m/k (and only tinker with it if it's still bad).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the write up OP, this is a problem i've noticed but it's difficult to articulate what the problem is. Alot of the times i actually aim by moving the character because it's easier to get the shot than trying to aim normally.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I feel like the deadzone and weighty controls for analog stick controls is helping me. I don't know if I'm too used to digital sticks from starting out in the 80s with computers or what it is, snappy and precise analog stick controls only work for me if there is no stress. If I get stressed out I'm using bigger movements, slam the stick to the edge, and gets into that scenario where you move past your target and then back too much before finally aiming right.

But maybe tight controls with no acceleration and slooow movements would work? hmm

BOTW gyro controls is the best controls for aiming, unless you have a mouse.

I think it varies from person to person but I think deadzones make a lot of sense. For instance if a player with disabilities had a symptom like tremors then the deadzone might be able to prevent their uncontrollable movements being accidentally interpreted by the game.

With that said, I think that settings like the often sudden aim acceleration present more of an issue than a benefit. If you struggle with motor control going from 0-100 very quickly isn't especially helpful.

Most importantly though, the key thing is that the developers are considerate of the fact that every player has different needs. There's no right or wrong way to play any of these games and by giving players clear and robust options players are more likely to be able to tune the game to something that's comfortable for them.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, this is why I'd like to see either simpler controllers or media remote support with more games by default. Modern controllers make too many compromises, anyway, but the largest compromise is arguably in terms of accessibility and approachability.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Well thought out post, OP, but I can't relate. I've been gaming so long that I pretty much feel at home with any control scheme after a few mins, and don't really even think about it after that. Obviously there is a learning curve for games that are mechanically complex, but that's not really a matter of controls.

Ă„lg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Totally agree with all of this. I really can't wait for UX Design to really cement itself in the games industry.

Ironically, as far as I'm aware, DICE actually employ quite a few UX Designers and Researchers, which makes me wonder how a setting simply called "Coefficient" ever made it into their game. I can't imagine a UX Designer would ever write that, or sign off on it.

OP
OP
Alek

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I loved the hunt showdown on the pc when it first came out.a bit clunky was fun and being. On mouse it was still responsive.
I don't have a pc anymore and planning on getting it on the PS4 but watching some videos, wow it looks so horrible to aim.

I am someone who loved killzone 2 and it's heavy aiming.

I would steer clear personally.

It really is terrible to aim. There's what seems like a lot of input latency.

Perhaps worse than that though, matchmaking times are 5+ minutes and the load times are like, 2 minutes per match. It's an awful user experience all round.

Game is cool, has cool ideas, but everything surrounding it is inadequate. Heck, it even looks pretty blurry, and there's a crazy amount of detail pop in as you run about.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Oct 30, 2017
RDR2 is a great recent example of horrible controls on console and exchanging it for a different set of problems on PC. On PC the best compromise is controller with gyro aim because it gives you the analog controls and almost mouse-like accuracy. Keyboard controls are not great as there are a shitton of mappings. On consoles you can either aim at medium to long distance or short distance comfortably, not both at the same time because it's impossible to set the controls up for both. Makes shooting a complete mess.

Gyro aim needs to become a thing. It is the single biggest improvement you could make to console controls.
RDR2 has one of the most convoluted control schemes I've ever come across.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Totally agree with all of this. I really can't wait for UX Design to really cement itself in the games industry.

Ironically, as far as I'm aware, DICE actually employ quite a few UX Designers and Researchers, which makes me wonder how a setting simply called "Coefficient" ever made it into their game. I can't imagine a UX Designer would ever write that, or sign off on it.

Perhaps that needs textual change. The setting refers to how strong the Unified Soldier Aiming is and to what extent it is applied.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Everyone hates Rockstar's 'mash A to sprint' but some visionary there probably thinks it's an important part of their gamefeel.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 have both good default configurations, and a good set of options for players to adjust should they want to. They also do a good job protecting players against ruining the controls for themselves by hiding some of the more advanced options behind a setting called 'advanced look controls' that you have to manually enable. For the most part, the terminology the settings use is fairly intuitive, and where it isn't they offer explanations of what each setting actually does, with visualisations to reflect the change.

They also offer a 'safe space' for players to practice, which helps players adjust the controls in a risk / pressure free environment should they want to (the gauntlet in Titanfall 2, the firing range in Apex Legends)

b13b01fb66baf2db.png

Battlefield V also comes close as it has a decent default configuration for its controls and a similar degree of options to those offered in Respawn's games, but they're all laid out and explained quite poorly. Plus, there's no obvious place to test your control configuration.

Fortnite matches Apex Legends with its settings, offering full custom rebinding plus a great deal of options for customising how the analog sticks feel when moving the camera.

That aside, out of the box Call of Duty games control well (although they're lack options for reconfiguration).

In general you might notice a pattern with those games, in that the most popular tend to have the better default controls, and the most robust settings for customisation. I don't think that's coincidental. Sure, part of it is that they gained success and then they had the luxury of spending whatever they needed to respond to community feedback and improve the control settings (Fortnites have improved over time), but the other aspect is that people simply don't stick around if your game controls poorly, at least not most of the time.

Looking at your screenshot of TF2, it got me wondering why some other devs can't just copy that style of explanations. Obviously, devs want as many people as possible to play their games, so anything they can do to ease players into the game should be a no-brainer, especially if it doesn't involve any heavy lifting on their end.

Another thing your post got me wondering about is Call of Duty and Fortnite. You're right that they're two of the most popular games right now, so you would think that anyone to looking to make a shooter would look to those games for some sort of inspiration. Maybe default controls doesn't immediately come to mind as to why those games are popular, but I would think that devs wanting to make a shooter would at least take it into consideration, even if they're not aiming (no pun intended) to match the popularity or even the feel of those games.

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it's a snappy 60fps Shooter I think the "weightiness" on analog controls are an improvement over Mouse & Keyboard, and we know that most of the time the "weightiness" is a result of bad animation-cycles and blending as opposed to a desire to make it heavy. I think there is so much emphasis on making controls correspond to realistic movement and motion-captured animation now that developers are simply willing to sacrifice a bit of user control to achieve a better looking game.
This is such a garbage post.