• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think it matters?

• The awards aren't chosen by Geoff, it should be allowed for DS to be nominated

Votes: 1,599 70.1%
  • Even if they're chosen by other people, it's not a good look and it shouldn't be nominated due to it

Votes: 681 29.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I know Geoff hosts the ceremony, but does he has any ownership/stake whatsoever in the company that organize the award itself? Genuine question here, since he looks way more invested in this for a mere host.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, the cameo is what moved this from questionable but acceptable choice to a potential issue.

Don't get me wrong. What Geoff did for Hideo after the whole Konami mess up was amazing, and his cameo is an obvious thank you to him. No questions that Geoff is an amazing person.

The problem lies with the perception of the Awards. Right now the Game Awards were created because of Geoff wanted the gaming scene to be more recognised as something bigger then VGA's that was laughed at. So as the Game Awards took off and in the essence of perception; Geoff = Game Awards. Regardless if there is a jury that Geoff is not a part of as Geoff is seen as the figurehead and the one in control. If he wants the Game Awards to be seen as fair and just, its a difficult choice.

Now Geoff has been no stranger to being close with the big men. Nintendo, MS and Sony as he was regularly getting exclusives from Reggie along with banter only friends could have but going back to the beginning of what I said, they never put him in as a cameo did they, and that's is the big difference.

In the end tho, the Game Award is only one of hundreds of thousands of journalistic sites who will give their own GOTY awards to whoever they please. Even if Death Stranding wins big, it's not a sprint.

Get outta here with this nuanced take!/s
No, but seriously.. I agree wholeheartedly.
And I'm kinda lol @ people who say "it's just a marketing show/joke" as if they pretend that it's not one of the biggest events in the media, and it's wrong to want one aspect of the gaming industry to be taken seriously.

I personally hope that the game gets nominated and wins just so that it gets burned in the bad publicity and becomes a meme.

This crap with featuring real people (especially gaming figures) and real world products (lol FFXV cupnoodles) needs to go the fuck away ASAP. It's cringey, adds nothing of value, and it should not exist in a product I'm paying for.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I know Geoff hosts the ceremony, but does he has any ownership/stake whatsoever in the company that organize the award itself? Genuine question here, since he looks way more invested in this for a mere host.

He basically birth the entire show.

In the first year before getting sponsors he paid for almost everything out of his own pocket.

This is his baby

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
the game awards aren't anything approaching a video game oscars or emmys in terms of respectedness or prestige. I don't really care.

if it were on the same level as the oscars, that'd be shitty. but I don't believe it ever will be or has the capability to be.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
Today we were made aware of the Videogame Awards nominees, and one of the debated about it was regarding if Death Stranding should've been nominated as the Awards' host, Geoff Keighley, makes a small cameo in the game. Keep in mind Geoff is the host but he has no influence whatsoever in the votings.

How do you feel about the game being nominated?

its absolutely fine, Geoff has no say in the voting process. If you take it as a complete package, Elysium lacks of you know ... gameplay

I mean, Disco Elysium has 13 perfect scores and only 3 scores under 8/10 or equivalent out of 51 reviews, and yet somehow didn't make the cut.

I can't recall traditional rpgs winning GOTYs, its always action rpgs and yeah I'm including Witcher 3 in that category

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. TGA is basically a long commercial for companies. The awards themselves are irrelevant, and if you don't believe me, watch the last one, there were a tons of 'small' categories that got lumped together in a 1 minute section.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
It´s not new though Senator Rains:
Obama campaigns in Burnout, 17 other games
[UPDATE 3] Burnout players in 10 states will be racing past in-game ads for the presidential candidate from Illinois all month long; AP reports spots also appearing in Madden, NASCAR, NBA, NHL, and Skate; Obama staff tells NPR it has buys in 18 games.

Ah, Skate and Burnout. This gen got worse about it though, SFV says hello, and Kojima had licensed RL stuff since at least MGS3.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, there is no problem here at all.

Besides, would be nice if the game that is about reconnecting people instead of shooting them wins.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. TGA is basically a long commercial for companies. The awards themselves are irrelevant, and if you don't believe me, watch the last one, there were a tons of 'small' categories that got lumped together in a 1 minute section.
I mean...that's literally every award show. You think people tune in to the oscars to hear who won for best sound mixing and makeup?

Not that you're entirely wrong, it is an entirely commercial event, but your point does next to nothing to prove it.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...that's literally every award show. You think people tune in to the oscars to hear who won for best sound mixing and makeup?

Not that you're entirely wrong, it is an entirely commercial event, but your point does next to nothing to prove it.
My overall point is 'don't take it too seriously' I guess. It was just a dumb cameo in a game.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I voted no simply because there are people that think that there is a conflict of interest. It'll be clear why there is a problem when it wins, which it will. Then it'll be like Famitsu's 40/40 and the win will get mocked and devaluated until the end of time. But in the end the controversy will be PR so Kojima and Geoff will get happy anyway.

However, I think it's more weird that Star Wars is not there simply because few had played it and that it won't be there next year because then it's too old. Seems like it got stuck in the middle of the cut off period in a weird way. I think they need to change the cut off to Jan-Dec and have the nominations in Feb and award in Mar so people get time to finish the games.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
What's the issue if he isn't voting? Is this a thing with other awards? Do Oscars hosts(or any other awards show) get every movie they had anything to do with excluded from the awards show or is this just Death Stranding salt?

I mean, a lot of game directors, VAs, heads of studios of participating games have been involved in the show before, even more so, game companies involved in bankrolling VGA with paid ads still had their games participating without any drama about conflict of interest, why is this suddenly an issue now?!

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It definitely was a surprise to see the game on the list and the good relationship between Kojima and Geoff are well known even without the cameo.
But I want to think that this didn't influence the selection, we have seen stranger nominations and also stranger win than this at the game awards, they like to be artsy and counter intuitive with some choices... Dunno how they really believe in them and how much is for show though.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
It should be nominated but Keighley should long ago saw this coming and not got so close to the project.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
It's Geoff's show, he makes the rulebook. People getting up in arms about "conflict of interest" is silly... even if Geoff had a pro-Kojima influence on the outcome, it's not that serious folks. If you personally think the optics look bad and undermine the integrity of the awards, that's fine... nobody should be taking the awards that seriously anyway.

Frankly, the people complaining about this mostly just come off as being salty that Bad Game Death Stranding got nominated for GOTY when [Insert Other Game Here] got snubbed.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Yep, there is no problem here at all.

Besides, would be nice if the game that is about reconnecting people instead of shooting them wins.
Out of the 6 nominated game, 3 of which doesn't allow you to shoot humans to death, Death Stranding isn't one of them. :)
But yea, it's the only game where some form of violence isn't at the center of gameplay.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Academy Awards can be voted on by people starring/making the movies they are voting on.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean we all have our biases, weather they be benign as this or not. Just look at the video game BAFTAs as another example and try to tell me with a straight face that the nationality of the developers has never been taken into consideration at all when you look at what games tend to get the most nominations/accolades.

Comparatively this is mostly fine. I don't think anyone can be genuinely surprised that DS has been received so well here and probably the cameo has little to do with it all compared to just what the people running the show like and value in games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a good look but at the same it's too late to change that perception anyway.....people who are triggered by the public display of support and friendship from GK and Kojima won't take these awards to serious.

Plum

May 31, 2018
We need to end the two-poll-option system!

Because whilst this isn't a good look I think that Death Stranding shouldn't be removed from the running because of it. Keighley's very public promotion of Kojima's work has definitely been unprofessional once it moved from "helping a friend get back on his feet," to "playing a major part in the game's marketing campaign and starring in the game itself." As such a DS win will hurt the integrity of the show no matter how clear the voting process is made; the optics can't really be helped at this point and I think for future Kojima projects that Keighley should somewhat lessen his public worship of the guy.

Of course none of this really matters in the end because the game's already seen everyone take a side and entrench their hatred of the other side (which consideirng the game's about connections between people is kind of ironic). At this point I'd want Death Stranding to lose if only because it would help prevent hundreds of toxic posts and the ensuing shitstorms that would come with a win. We've already seen people's intelligence be insulted, accusations of fanboyism (and console fanboyism) and usages of terminology associated with the alt-right's smearing of 'SJWs' and the game has only just been nominated. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's not a good look but at the same it's too late to change that perception anyway.....people who are triggered by the public display of support and friendship from GK and Kojima won't take these awards to serious.

Can we stop using "triggered" to refer to people disliking the optics of a silly video game/video game awards show? You're still devaluing the term when it's already been devalued by years of misuse.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Keighley doesn't choose the winners or nominees, and the whole show is an hour of ads anyway. I don't see how his cameo detracts from the proceedings.

This is from someone with no interest in Death Stranding whatsoever.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Can we stop using "triggered" to refer to people disliking the optics of a silly video game/video game awards show? You're still devaluing the term when it's already been devalued by years of misuse.
Then replace the term with whatever term you feel comfortable with. I got the point across.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree.

I think is good people question the validity of the awards for a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think Death Stranding being a GOTY has anything to do with Geoff, but I think it should be at the very minimum disclosed he was in it as a cameo. He is a producer of the show after all.
How is it not disclosed? Millions of players have the game with him in it and the cameo was revealed in September at another show Geoff hosted

Plum

May 31, 2018
Then replace the term with whatever term you feel comfortable with. I got the point across.

It's not about me feeling comfortable with it, it's about the fact that by using the term you (and other people I've seen in discussions about this game) are furthering devaluing of a term that has actual real word usages for people with mental illnesses and for people who have experienced traumatic events. It's not suddenly fine just because you're not using it in a political context.

But I'll leave this here. It should be obvious what the issue is.

How is it not disclosed? Millions of players have the game with him in it

They meant disclosing it in the awards show itself. Basically they're saying that Keighley should take the optics hit at the awards show instead of allowing the internet-at-large to do it for him if the game were to win.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if it was a real award show my answer might be different but this is a commercial so who cares.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely deserved to be nominated. Doesn't matter if Geoff has cameo or not.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The only way it shouldn't be nominated was if Geoff had a personal vote or a strong influence on the outcome of the votes. He already said he has zero influence on the voting so how is this even an issue?

It's not like Geoff was a major character in the game or had major input on the development. He's a fucking cameo. People losing their heads over this is baffling.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm surprised people are taking the awards seriously enough to even worry about this and not wondering about the trailers thats going to be at the show to be honest. About everything that show does outside of that lifetime achievement award just seems utterly unimportant.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Death Stranding should not be nominated for an American GOTY show not because Geoff loves Kojima, but because TGA is an American show.

And we all know Americans are too uncultured to nominate a non Shooter to be GOTY.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Fact is, and Geoff Keighley himself told this multiple times, the TGA are meant to promote the industry.

Not to reward the best games. Not to reward the better programmer. To promote the videogame industry as a whole.

What does promote the industry better?

- a japanese anime-inspired action game
- an indie puzzle-oriented space game
- a driving game
- a game with Guillermo Del Toro, Norman Reedus, Nicholas Refn and other Hollywood celebrities in it, directed by a man who was unjustly fired by his former corporation

The industry needs Death Stranding to get recognitio.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Nothing wrong with it, it's essentially a popularity contest among many different media outlets.

I'm bit surprised this is what so many people are latching onto, when Kojima himself is a member of the advisory board for TGA:s. Though so are many other industry figures from Spencer to Bowser and Guillemot. Curious how that doesn't cause any controversy (they don't choose the nominees and winners either though).

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
if it was a real award show my answer might be different but this is a commercial so who cares.
You're naive to think that the most promoted and watched award event in the industry has no monetary or financial consequences.

It's Geoff's show, he makes the rulebook. People getting up in arms about "conflict of interest" is silly... even if Geoff had a pro-Kojima influence on the outcome, it's not that serious folks. If you personally think the optics look bad and undermine the integrity of the awards, that's fine... nobody should be taking the awards that seriously anyway.

Frankly, the people complaining about this mostly just come off as being salty that Bad Game Death Stranding got nominated for GOTY when [Insert Other Game Here] got snubbed.

In 2016, during the #fuckKonami he got emotional just because Kojima couldn't receive the award, and called that "a tragedy".

Meanwhile there was a game about the real story of the death of the programmer's son (That Dragon, Cancer)

But, you know, THE TRAGEDY was Kojima's butthurt ego.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Agree to disagree.

I think is good people question the validity of the awards for a potential conflict of interest.

I don't think Death Stranding being a GOTY has anything to do with Geoff, but I think it should be at the very minimum disclosed he was in it as a cameo. He is a producer of the show after all.
Did you also question potintial conflict of interest when VGA was getting bankrolled by the same companies that have games nominated, like... Pretty much every year? It's a commercial event made to make money, that's why the body organizing the event isn't involved in picking nominations or voting for winner, what's the difference between Geoff being in Death Stranding or Geoff show being openly bankrolled by Sony, Nintendo, Activation, etc... When they have games nominated every year?

What's a real "award show"? When all the biggest most well known and prestigious ones for movies, music and TV shows are all produced the same way?! This is how pretty much all big awards shows are made, commercial for profit events!

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
You're naive to think that the most promoted and watched award event in the industry has no monetary or financial consequences.

In 2015, during the #fuckKonami he got emotional just because Kojima couldn't receiv the award, and called that "a tragedy".

Meanwhile there was a game about the real story of the death of the programmer's son.

But, you know, THE TRAGEDY was Kojima butthurt ego.

When Geoff seriously started choking up about a guy getting fired from Konami is when I literally said I would never take this awards show seriously. And I have have. It never has deserved to be at any point either. Embarrassing show after embarrassing show. They try to make it better..and it now has literally just turned into the worldwide exclusive game commercial announcement show with awards on the side, many doors which are not televised.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
At this point I'd want Death Stranding to lose if only because it would help prevent hundreds of toxic posts and the ensuing shitstorms that would come with a win. We've already seen people's intelligence be insulted, accusations of fanboyism (and console fanboyism) and usages of terminology associated with the alt-right's smearing of 'SJWs' and the game has only just been nominated. It's ridiculous.
Let's be real here, there will be a ton of toxicity from both sides even if DS doesn't win.

Kojima and controversy are of the same strand, and plenty of gamers will trip over themselves to have a 'Gotcha' moment as soon as the GOTY is announced.

I agreed the TGA should reference the cameo at some point though, especially if DS takes the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.