• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
With the amount of ancient and medieval civilizations, and the history of various religions, realistic or fantasy games involving India or Indian cultural developments seem way underused. I guess there is that Raji game and some Hindu gods appear in like Asura's Wrath and Shin Megami Tensei, but not much otherwise. Buddhist themes in games is kind of adjacent to this, but where is my Jainism RPG 🤔

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I've always felt like an Assassin's Creed set in India would be amazing. Check out the AC Brahman comic if you haven't!

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted: Lost Legacy was recent, but it's not really "historical". It's definitely a location that's ripe for exploration.

Oct 27, 2017
Either this or ancient China.

Both have so much history and potential. Even more so if you wanted to explore the mythical side of the culture.

Sep 7, 2020
India and ancient china are definitely up there in the list of untapped cultures. I think African culture really isn't explored in great detail either.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
India is joined by countless other underused settings, we have thousands of years of human history but we have games set in so very few of them.

I would definitively like more games taking place in India and evolved around it but I wouldn't say India is the only one.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ancient China is used very frequently as a videogame setting in Chinese & Taiwanese made games, it's just most of those never get localized into English.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
Agree that India is underused considering it's incredible civilisation and history.

But if hindu gods are ok to be in games, then it should be ok to have Jesus, Prophet Mohammed etc. Shouldn't be treated any differently.

Oct 27, 2017
This would be good.

Also yeah China as well, though maybe mainly in the west. There's probably a ton of Warring States period games that are unknown outside China.
I was really hyped for DW9 being open world because it could let me explore that period of china. It is a shame it didn't pull it off that well.
I remember Cory Barlog saying they considered this for GOW4. It could be really cool if they end up doing it after the norse games are done.
Hope rhe futures God of war goes there
5i25q234ce711.jpg

India and ancient china are definitely up there in the list of untapped cultures. I think African culture really isn't explored in great detail either.
Yeah I can't think of any games about the various African culture. It is a shame because it is really cool.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I've always felt like an Assassin's Creed set in India would be amazing. Check out the AC Brahman comic if you haven't!

Been talking with friends about how cool a full fledged AC game set in India/Nepal/China regions would be just recently. Honestly can't think of a better setting right now.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see another insipid viking inspired game/media property i think of all the great historical settings we never utilisied. India, Thailand, Native American etc etc etc.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Not ancient but I'm sad the Order 1886 didn't go there, was playing it this year and thought it would. The Order 1887 where you drive the British Empire out of the colonies Sony when?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I mean, the entire continent of Africa probably has had like 1-2 two games total. Especially sub-Saharan Africa.

Sep 7, 2020
I was really hyped for DW9 being open world because it could let me explore that period of china. It is a shame it didn't pull it off that well.

I remember Cory Barlog saying they considered this for GOW4. It could be really cool if they end up doing it after the norse games are done.

5i25q234ce711.jpg

Yeah I can't think of any games about the various African culture. It is a shame because it is really cool.
Yeah I can't think of one game that truly explores African culture. There are some cool mythical entities and its not just one culture that you could explore, other than egypt, not many places in Africa are really looked into for video games.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
It's probably good for people in this thread to remember that the decisionmakers & money men in the games industry don't want to make games with brown and black people in them.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I am still forever indebted to Creative Assembly for making Empire: Total War and letting me fulfil the fantasy of the Maratha Empire colonising Europe and taking over the Netherlands and England.

Late 18th century India would be my setting of choice for historical India, as that's a period where you have many conflicting powers, none of which have absolute supremacy.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It was annoying that the two historical periods, India and China, that I want the most just got made into assassins creed spin-offs.

there's a lot of history, architecture, and religion/spiritually that is perfect for a setting.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see another insipid viking inspired game/media property i think of all the great historical settings we never utilisied. India, Thailand, Native American etc etc etc.
Vikings are white, which makes it an easier sell to the suits who still think there's absolutely no money to be made in entertainment media unless the lead is a white male (or occasionally white female).

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can't think of one game that truly explores African culture. There are some cool mythical entities and its not just one culture that you could explore, other than egypt, not many places in Africa are really looked into for video games.
Sadly this is one of the cases where I think an African developer would do. Probably for the better as you don't want white people who barely knows anything about the culture to butcher it.

Hopefully one day gaming development becomes bigger in africa. I am sure there are so many talented people in each African country that could do some amazing things. China is starting to catch up and they are doing some really cool stuff right now so the same could happen in Africa.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
Vikings are white, which makes it an easier sell to the suits who still think there's absolutely no money to be made in entertainment media unless the lead is a white male (or occasionally white female).

To be fair to the suits- i don't doubt developers have the same opinions.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't India a bit of a minefield though because it's old myths and cultural artifacts are tied to still active religions - Hinduism and Buddhism? I remember there's been projects in the past that have gotten in trouble because groups didn't appreciate their gods being used for entertainment purposes.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
An AC set in Colonial India would be amazing. Slaughtering the Brits and the East India Company

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh there are so many underused histories/mythologies. Yet we keep seeing more and more Norse and Greek mythologies/histories in games. I'm getting bored with them.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
This is forever my answer to 'why the fuck isn't this setting a game already?':

It even has a classic, archetypal story to it: Boy grows up wanting to be a scholar. Boy fails the exam three times. Boy loses his fucking mind and becomes convinced he is the brother of Jesus Christ, establishes a heavenly kingdom that eventually commands a population of 30 million people, and in turn instigates a civil war that claims ~70m lives (making it the second bloodiest conflict in human history).

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't India a bit of a minefield though because it's old myths and cultural artifacts are tied to still active religions - Hinduism and Buddhism? I remember there's been projects in the past that have gotten in trouble because groups didn't appreciate their gods being used for entertainment purposes.
I could see a minority complaining but otherwise maybe no, depending on how it's done anyway? SMT has lots of Hindu figures for example and that seems fine. You also have a ton of Buddhist iconography in certain Japanese games. But anyway I can't say for sure.

TalkingToast

Oct 29, 2017
Agree with practically every post in this thread. Makes me so frustrated when I see fellow fans of Assassin's Creed praying for a game set in Japan.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sadly this is one of the cases where I think an African developer would do. Probably for the better as you don't want white people who barely knows anything about the culture to butcher it.

Hopefully one day gaming development becomes bigger in africa. I am sure there are so many talented people in each African country that could do some amazing things. China is starting to catch up and they are doing some really cool stuff right now so the same could happen in Africa.

store.steampowered.com

Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan on Steam

How do you stay a good person when you are surrounded by centuries of hatred and selfishness? Find your answers in one of the best gaming story ever written about bravery, love and legacy.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and they could use masala dosa as a healing item.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's why the thought process should be treating these cultures and religions with respect instead of immediately going to "lol let's fight and kill the Gods".

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
I'd like to see a game set in Carthage. I don't think anyone has touched on the phoenician culture yet but I really liked it when I studied it way back when.

Exist 2 Inspire