• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Update
A Kickstarter campaign has launched for the game alongside a demo on Steam:

--
Original Post

Pretty excited to see this get a full trailer after following the game on Twitter for a while. PC-only for now (the dev will try for consoles) and targeting a release this sometime this year.

It's a solo project by Era-member JD64 who talks about the game in this Twitter thread:
4mLtSnY.png

Press release
During the First World War, a lone French soldier must navigate twisted trenches, scavenge for limited supplies and solve complex puzzles - all whilst fighting for survival in the midst of mankind's most brutal and horrifying conflict. CONSCRIPT is a new take on classic survival horror.

CONSCRIPT is an upcoming survival horror game inspired by classics of the genre - set in 1916 during the Great War. CONSCRIPT will blend all the punishing mechanics of older horror games into a cohesive, tense, and unique experience.

In CONSCRIPT, you play as a French soldier searching for his missing-in-action brother during the Battle of Verdun. Will you be able to search twisted trenches, navigate overrun forts, and cross no-mans-land to find him, and ensure a home goes unbroken?
  • Experience classic and methodical survival horror gameplay in a unique historical setting: the Battle of Verdun.
  • Fend off enemy soldiers and disturbing psychological manifestations with a variety of melee weapons and firearms.
  • Navigate intricate level design that promotes item management and route planning, whilst solving complex environmental puzzles.
  • Survive in an intense, harrowing atmosphere boosted by a unique pixel art aesthetic and oppressive sound design.
  • Three distinct areas that intertwine and overlap.
  • Highly re-playable with multiple difficulty settings, alternate scenarios and bonus weapons.
I am hoping to have the game out on Steam by the end of 2020.

Wishlist on Steam:

Last edited:

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
This looks cool, also the art style reminds me of The Urbz: Sims in the City for GBA.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is really interesting. Aside from a few exceptions, the tendency to make war games as shooters has been pretty limiting for what those kinds of games can do. Doing a war game in the mold of a survival horror game is pretty ingenious

JD64 Is this grounded in reality, the SH/RE inspiration for tone and style, or are there supernatural horror elements as well?

Duraigo

Nov 28, 2017
Reminds me so much of Jurassic park iii island attack for the GBA. Added to my steam wishlist!

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Hm... listened to the Dan Carlin WWI podcast a few months back. It's a great backdrop for horror, and this looks pretty interesting. I'll keep an eye on it.

Oct 24, 2019
I was in until I saw the art style. Now it's a maybe, depending on if the reviews are pretty high.

But thank fuck for another historical-horror game, I've always asked why there aren't more of them. In the past I've also pitched WWI specifically as a setting that is ripe for some horror exploration, so I'm glad to see someone is finally making use of this interesting period

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
we should make a thread about that podcast, hardcore history is fucking good
There is one, I need to update the title though
www.resetera.com

Hardcore History | Recent release: Supernova In The East 3

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/ Newest content/release: Supernova In The East 3 If you have interest in history, Hardcore History is the ultimate podcast. No doubt if you have even a passing interest in podcasts, you've probably heard of Dan Carlin's huge series. Started...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
What an awesome aesthetic. A clever way to evoke the retro vibe of RE1 and SH1 without going for the PSX visual style. I tend to find this can be its own brand of creepy, especially with those FMVs.

Of course, Paratopic shows you can do horror really well with PSX-like visuals, though it's a very unique exception to the rule, I feel.

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Thank you all for the kind words. :)

This looks cool, also the art style reminds me of The Urbz: Sims in the City for GBA.
Thanks! It's funny because I hear that a lot but have never played that game. It's making me want to try it out!

This is really interesting. Aside from a few exceptions, the tendency to make war games as shooters has been pretty limiting for what those kinds of games can do. Doing a war game in the mold of a survival horror game is pretty ingenious

JD64 Is this grounded in reality, the SH/RE inspiration for tone and style, or are there supernatural horror elements as well?

There will be some supernatural elements, although they will be few and far between. I wanted to focus more on the horrors that actually happeneed, yknow?

I was in until I saw the art style. Now it's a maybe, depending on if the reviews are pretty high.

But thank fuck for another historical-horror game, I've always asked why there aren't more of them. In the past I've also pitched WWI specifically as a setting that is ripe for some horror exploration, so I'm glad to see someone is finally making use of this interesting period

I understand. My vision for the game originally was to be PSX style 3D but I didn't have the dev skills or budgets to do something like that.

Damn this looks impressive. Please bring this to consoles.
Thank you. I'm going to try!

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's the second WW1-themed game developed by an Era member, the other being yet unnamed project by Sean Noonan (I assume they interacted in the gamedev threads?). Not to distract from this game, which looks really interesting, but interesting coincidence considering how rare in gaming is the period.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I dig everything I saw in that trailer quite a lot! I'll definitely be checking this out, perfectly captures the feeling and atmosphere of old school horror.

JD64

Aug 5, 2019
Melbourne, Australia.
Oh, that's the second WW1-themed game developed by an Era member, the other being yet unnamed project by Sean Noonan (I assume they interacted in the gamedev threads?). Not to distract from this game, which looks really interesting, but interesting coincidence considering how rare in gaming is the period.
I'm a big fan of Sean's project!

I feel that, very impressive work if you've done all this yourself! Best of luck with the release
Thanks, certainly has been a lot of work! Maybe my next project will be 3D ;)

I dig everything I saw in that trailer quite a lot! I'll definitely be checking this out, perfectly captures the feeling and atmosphere of old school horror.

Thank you. You just wait until the demo comes out ;)