• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2017
Student debt forgiveness is one of the largest ways to stimulate the economy, especially through minority communities. The interest on the debt is crushing people.

Saying "we can't cancel debts because people might get in debt in the future" is short sighted. Help those that need it now, figure out new policies as we go.
I'd say it's the opposite of short sighted. We should figure out a way to attack the issue at the root of its core so we can prevent this from happening to future generations AND THEN we should address the people who are currently in debt. Until then we'll be doing the same song and dance every time we have a new administration.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Honest question but when did Trump cancel any student debt?
Trump (through Betsy Devos) did not, and took away protections around for profit colleges.

The tweet in the OP is misleading. He didn't say he wasn't for canceling student debt, only that he doesn't think he can do it all though executive action, and to target it will take legislation. To be fair here, I have yet to hear anyone explain anything further. Why can he cancel debt? How much do experts think he can cancel?

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
FYI it's the same thing he's been saying all along: he only feels comfortable doing 10K blanket via EO, any more should be through congress as part of an actual student loan reform bill. And that's not inherently a bad thing...

note I owe 30k and I still don't have a window of when I can possibly clear it so I'd bequite pleased if it passed that threzhold

Honest question, if he can do 50k and only does 10k through EO, how is that not a bad thing? That is absolutely a bad thing. All of the federal student debt should be canceled, we shouldn't even be talking about forgiving a pittance.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not American but if I was and I had worked hard and struggled to pay off my student loan and then I hear other are going to get it written off for free I would be pissed.

They should just remove interest rates.
They should never find a cure for Covid because I've already lost family members. It would be unfair!

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Wow, I'm totally shocked that a Centrist Democrat doesn't want to struggling Americans and call ALL Student Loan debt.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I'd say it's the opposite of short sighted. We should figure out a way to attack the issue at the root of its core so we can prevent this from happening to future generations AND THEN we should address the people who are currently in debt. Until then we'll be doing the same song and dance every time we have a new administration.

Forgiving the people now would stimulate the economy like nothing else. See the Warren tweet in this thread. It would close the racial wage equality gap. That would be huge.

Get people back on their feet, then do your slow song and dance in Congress.

This would be like saying "we shouldn't pass universal healthcare because there might be some people going to the ER tonight"

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
if you can do 10k via executive order, you can do 50k (hell, you can do 100k)

like this isn't even my opinion, I've read through the legal justifications as to why the powers conferred by the higher education act allow the secretary of education to cancel student loans, and everything under some number (I believe it's a million dollars) is done through the same process. the idea that you can do 10k but not 50k is untrue on its face, you can either do it all or you can't.

https://www.warren.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Ltr to Warren re admin debt cancellation.pdf

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
How is that wrong it's the same shit he's been saying for a year
Because he literally has the authority to cancel all student debt, and there's not much of an argument against it, but for some reason this misinformation is continuing to spread. He knows this, which is why Congress-members keep parroting 50k. This is also why AOC is saying he can just get rid of it all if he wants to. He doesn't need Congress for this because they already gave him the power to. 1965 act explicitly allows him to direct the secretary of education to do anything they want to capital, liens, etc. owed to the U.S. When tied to the DoE. The only thing stopping him are the loan sharks the US sells off the contracts to, (edit) and/or a lack of a long term plan as others are saying in the thread which then yes, he should defer to congress

Last edited:

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm totally shocked that a Centrist Democrat doesn't want to struggling Americans and call ALL Student Loan debt.

One thing that needs to be clarified is that he likely can cancel all debt owned by the Federal government, he cannot cancel private loans. In fact Congress likely can't cancel private loans.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I already paid off my loans. This only affects me personally as far as my friends who are still dealing with theirs.

That said, this is fucking bullshit. What the fuck is Joe's problem.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Trump (through Betsy Devos) did not, and took away protections around for profit colleges.

The tweet in the OP is misleading. He didn't say he wasn't for canceling student debt, only that he doesn't think he can do it all though executive action, and to target it will take legislation. To be fair here, I have yet to hear anyone explain anything further. Why can he cancel debt? How much do experts think he can cancel?

Yeah, I'd like to know more about the specifics. Also, I am not sure what Warren is referring to with the bit about Obama and Trump using executive authority for student debt. I think people are probably seeing that and taking it out of context. I had about $65,000 in loans, mostly federal, during Obama's terms, and I sure as shit didn't have a penny of that forgiven.

Not a fan of misleading tweets.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was still a debate on whether he can do 50k verses 10k. I know many democrats think he can't but I didn't think it was a done deal and could be challenged

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping they do get cancelled, but I'd like to know how deep this well will go. I know Bernie was talking about cancelling student loan debt, and making it so that college tuition is free or greatly reduced. Otherwise, it'll be great for those of us already with crippling debt but nothing for future generations to prevent them from running into the same issue.

DryCreek

Oct 25, 2017
He said he would consider $10k not $50k. It's fine to want more but why bashing someone over the head for not doing something they never said they would do?

Min

Oct 25, 2017

You need to stop the bleeding first, so helping the people crushed under insurmountable debt before you can reform the system and prevent future generations from also being crushed under insurmountable debt is most important. Everyone would be helped with student debt forgiveness, people who are paying their loans off and people who are currently in school with a loan would be forgiven, and then you can work on helping the people who will be taking out loans in the future. It's a lot easier to help people who have not yet taken out a loan. The people who are under the mountain need more help currently.

You need to put out a fire before you can start talking about future controlled burns.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
There's a reason a few hundred organizations have been hounding Biden about this for months now (and to cancel all of it in this case, not even just 50K)
ourfinancialsecurity.org

Joint Statement: Over 235 Orgs Call on President-Elect Biden to Cancel Federal Student Debt on Day One using Executive Action - Americans for Financial Reform

Today, over 235 organizations sent a letter to President-Elect Biden and Vice President-Elect Harris, calling on them to use executive authority to cancel federal student debt on day one of their administration.

In the letter, 238 nonprofit and community organizations highlight that cancelling student debt would stimulate the economy, help reduce the racial wealth gap, and could have a positive impact on health outcomes. The groups write that "executive action is one of the few available tools that could immediately provide a boost to upwards of 44 million borrowers and the economy," and that it would be an important first step in advancing the President-Elect's campaign priorities to ensure racial equity, focus on economic recovery, and deliver COVID-19 relief.

Signers include:
American Federation of Teachers,
National Education Association,
The Education Trust,
Hispanic Federation,
NAACP,
National Urban League,
UnidosUS,
League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC),
National Women's Law Center,
SEIU,
UE (United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America),
the Coalition on Human Needs,
Children's Defense Fund,
the American Psychological Association,
Council on Social Work Education,
Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund,
Greenpeace,
Sunrise Movement,
Minority Veterans of America,
the United States Student Association,
Bend the Arc: Jewish Action,
and the National Advocacy Center of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd.

And just going to leave these here:

Some takeaways: 80% of all student debt is held by those making less than $127k a year.

Families making less than 60k a year took out 280% MORE student loan debt than families making over 100k.

and

Why do we have to choose between student loan debt forgiveness & funding childhood education? What does the $10K cap have to do with borrowers from elite schools? Why are we excluding elite schools? There are a bunch of first gen students of color at elite schools

and this

Student debt cancellation is not a Harvard, Yale, Penn rich kid problem. It is a racial justice problem. Per Brookings, "Four years after graduation, black graduates have nearly $25,000 more student loan debt than white graduates: $52,726 on average, compared to $28,006."

because there seems to be an undercurrent of disingenuous belief that student loan debt cancellation is some white people thing argued by privileged white people for the benefit of most privileged white people. Nothing could be further from the truth (again, look at those organizations in support and more importantly, read their words).

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Wasn't he open to doing 50k through legislative action as a part of a overal student aid/loan bill? Which is why he was holding off on doing 10k on EO? The guy has been campaigning on this for months. Now everyone is shocked pikachu like he lied to you.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
Tweet is a little misleading. He doesn't think he can do 50k though executive order. For more he has said it would need to pass congress. Hes not against it, just doesn't think he can do it.

Did the dude learn nothing from Trump?

Just sign the Executive Order. If it's unconstitutional it'll be struck down through the courts.

Or does he think that by doing it through Congress there will be less potential for lawsuits?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
One thing that needs to be clarified is that he likely can cancel all debt owned by the Federal government, he cannot cancel private loans. In fact Congress likely can't cancel private loans.

Private Loan debt is $130 billion. They could pay you to pay the private loan you own directly

Student debt forgiveness is one of the largest ways to stimulate the economy, especially through minority communities. The interest on the debt is crushing people.

Saying "we can't cancel debts because people might get in debt in the future" is short sighted. Help those that need it now, figure out new policies as we go.

We can cut military spending by 80%(Still be #1), raise taxes for the rich, defund the police and maybe people won't go into debt?

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
So....if he's still planning on doing the 10k via EO (rather than the 50k, which he thinks would be too far-reaching/expensive/what have you), does he have a timeline for that?

Newlib

Oct 25, 2017
Private Loan debt is $130 billion. They could pay you to pay the private loan you own directly

We can cut military spending by 80%(Still be #1), raise taxes for the rich, defund the police and maybe people won't go into debt?

They could and that could be work around. I was just noting that people aren't distinguishing between public and private debt.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I guess just don't forgive it across the board? Look at household income, number of payments made, etc. At the least, if you're not going to forgive, extend the deferment period at least until the next presidential election.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not American but if I was and I had worked hard and struggled to pay off my student loan and then I hear other are going to get it written off for free I would be pissed.

public policy and change should not be predicated on how selfish people like you might feel.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Wasn't he open to doing 50k through legislative action as a part of a overal student aid/loan bill? Which is why he was holding off on doing 10k on EO? The guy has been campaigning on this for months. Now everyone is shocked pikachu like he lied to you.

He campaigned on 10k which was bullshit the whole time. Everyone else was like, why not got more? He would hem and haw about not being sure if they could do more, when in fact, he can do more.

The "shocked pikchu face" comment is ridiculous on the surface, and even more ridiculous knowing the full context.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Biden if he doesn't do it. We voted for you, now help us.

I did not vote for Biden in the primary to cancel 50k in student debt. I voted for Biden in the primary explicitly because he opposed it.

We (Americans) voted for a moderate, not a Sanders/Warren trojan horse. The Sanders/Warren supporters got destroyed in the primary.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The more Joe talks like this the more I want a Harris presidency. This is the guy with "an unusual amount of empathy" that the media was talking about?

Stop making excuses for his behavior. It's morally wrong as well, as this would help out Black women the most. The same demographic who put him into power.
Do the Dems dare help black people and piss off their white moderates?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Why get pissed at other poor people? Some of ya'll on here are weird lmao.

Getting poor people to fight with other poor people about who is more or less poor while the rich rob us all blind is pretty much the principle America was founded upon. People will balk at a $50,000 student loan forgiveness yet not say a word when the government spends trillions to bail out corporations.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
He said he would consider $10k not $50k. It's fine to want more but why bashing someone over the head for not doing something they never said they would do?

I'm not bashing him because thus far he's made some pretty good moves (outside of placing a fucking torture apologist in the role of Director of National Intelligence) but people have every reason to lean on him hard regarding this issue because it's a big one and he has the power to help millions of people with the stroke of a pen.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

That's an awful mentality. Just because others struggled doesn't mean people now should struggle as well.

There are ways to give those people some sort of benefit for paying off their debt. They can do a tax credit.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
Remember that you don't owe the Democratic party or Biden your vote. Shit like this makes it really easy to be pro policy regardless of team.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how this is going to overshadow all the other good stuff Biden done, but I can see Democrats losing in 2022 and 2024 over this. Republicans will then pass a bill saying that student loans can't be forgiven or some shit like that. Too bad politicians never learn when you offer free stuff or other support, people will always expect more. Just give them the more and everyone will end up the better for it.

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility; History of the Same
To those who say they are okay with 10k:

Fuck. Youuuuuuuuuuu.

Status
Not open for further replies.