• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Cancel student debt is trending on twitter based on Bidens response to this question

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There is no reason he can't cancel the 50k. He even says he isn't sure if he can do it, but he actually can. So let's make it happen.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
What the fuck does "better sent on early childhood education" mean? Can America only pay for one thing at a time? Sounds like the good old fashioned Biden bullshit I'm used to.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Navient is in Delaware, Biden isn't going to wipe them out cancelling 50k worth of debt across the board. The expectation should be 10k, anything more than that and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just do the 10k like you promised and I'll be happy.

Jan 29, 2018
I'd be ecstatic if he did $10k. That's about half what my wife owes. It wouldn't be life-changing, but it would be a huge psychological relief.

I'm all for more if it's possible, but I suspect he wants to do a larger amount as some sort of higher education reform bill that actually gets at the root of the problem so future presidents don't have to cancel debt by EO again.

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Navient is in Delaware, Biden isn't going to wipe them out cancelling 50k worth of debt across the board. The expectation should be 10k, anything more than that and you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

The expectation should be that the President works for people, not corporations, but considering the US considers corporations to be people... yeah.

We have to be loud about this if anything is going to pass at all.

OP
OP
kickz

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
Such a bullshit excuse to use the "the wealthy should not get debt cancelled", the fucking clown Biden is playing misdirection game

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Tweet is a little misleading. He doesn't think he can do 50k though executive order. For more he has said it would need to pass congress. Hes not against it, just doesn't think he can do it.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Do as much as you can, however you can.

If it's 10k with the pen and more by the Senate, do that. If it can be done in a second reconciliation, do that. Just make sure some amount gets done, no matter what.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
Look, I'm not going to hop on the "Era Biden hate train", but the defense force needs to recognize how much bullshit this is. He's already said he'd do 10k through executive order, and now he's not sure he can do it? Fuck off.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is it wrong to think maybe they want to get other education efforts in play as a jump off point after cancelling the debt so you just don't get saddled with more debt but more fairer opportunities.

OmegaProtocol

Nov 19, 2017
Interesting. I think Biden will do it. I think the Senate Democrats and Biden are playing off of each other. Eventually Biden will "cave", which will make it seem like a victory for the Senate Democrats, which will help their re-election chances in 2021.

I fully expect Osoff and Warnock to chime in soon in support of canceling debt.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
$50k is easy to accrue even from going to a state college. Fuck this "only students going to elite colleges".

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
This is how you lose 2022 and 2024 and USA fully falls to fascism. Just saying.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Cancelling student debt would have a HUGE stimulative effect as people can use that money to spend on actual life-stage stuff (e.g. maybe getting married, buy a house, have babies).

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
What is the point of getting rid of student debt, when kids are filling out their FAFSAs to borrow money as we speak? Honest question.

Student debt forgiveness is one of the largest ways to stimulate the economy, especially through minority communities. The interest on the debt is crushing people.

Saying "we can't cancel debts because people might get in debt in the future" is short sighted. Help those that need it now, figure out new policies as we go.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I racked up nearly 100k in debt from public universities, in a mixture of private and public loans. Fuck this nonsense that 50k will only be bailing out the elite. I am barely getting by as an educator; I can't own a home, buy a car, take vacations because I literally cannot tolerate the cost and make my $600/month payment.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
STOP
MEANS
TESTING

Yeah let's just not fund Fire Departments either because what happens if they're called to a millionaire's 3rd house?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
The expectation should be that the President works for people, not corporations, but considering the US considers corporations to be people... yeah.

We have to be loud about this if anything is going to pass at all.

I know, the student loan mess is a huge reason why I don't trust the Democratic party as much as I'd like to. Cutting blank checks for college was always going to skyrocket costs and lead to a debt crisis. The people who implemented it either knew that would happen and didn't care or they're straight up stupid. The longer the idiocy of our student loan system is allowed to continue the worse off both the population and higher education will be.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
FYI it's the same thing he's been saying all along: he only feels comfortable doing 10K blanket via EO, any more should be through congress as part of an actual student loan reform bill. And that's not inherently a bad thing...

note I owe 30k and I still don't have a window of when I can possibly clear it so I'd bequite pleased if it passed that threzhold

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not American but if I was and I had worked hard and struggled to pay off my student loan and then I hear other are going to get it written off for free I would be pissed.

They should just remove interest rates.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
He didn't campaign on cancelling debt the way Sander or Warren did, so I don't see much action here from him. The voters unfortunately had a say in this. I think he'll do something, but 50k isn't happening.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm not going to hop on the "Era Biden hate train", but the defense force needs to recognize how much bullshit this is. He's already said he'd do 10k through executive order, and now he's not sure he can do it? Fuck off.
The "not sure he can do it" is in regards to the $50k number, not the $10k.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The more Joe talks like this the more I want a Harris presidency. This is the guy with "an unusual amount of empathy" that the media was talking about?

Stop making excuses for his behavior. It's morally wrong as well, as this would help out Black women the most. The same demographic who put him into power.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
He keeps saying how all the experts are saying now's the time to spend big, soooo uhhh spend big and cancel debt. Stop trying to make qualifying statements afterwards.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
I say this as an extremely privileged white person who went to a private school and had to take 0 loans and was able to graduate with $0 in debt.

He should cancel $50k in student debt.

I understand it doesn't solve the underlying problem and there a systemic issues at hand. But there is absolutely 0 reasons why you can't try to do both.

OP
OP
kickz

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Disingenuous, Bad Faith Arguments Over a Series of Posts
He keeps saying how all the experts are saying now's the time to spend big, soooo uhhh spend big and cancel debt. Stop trying to make qualifying statements afterwards.

Its just like the BS discussion of Covid relief should only go to people making around 50k or less.

Biden sounds right of Trump sometimes

PMS341

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I know, the student loan mess is a huge reason why I don't trust the Democratic party as much as I'd like to. Cutting blank checks for college was always going to skyrocket costs and lead to a debt crisis. The people who implemented it either knew that would happen and didn't care or they're straight up stupid. The longer the idiocy of our student loan system is allowed to continue the worse off both the population and higher education will be.

Agreed. I'm thinking they knew the risks, but also knew they would profit massively off of the system as opposed to those actually putting in the work. It really is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.