• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a double standard. The thing is, as you know, double standards often contain multitudes; double standards within double standards within double standards. I'm pulling this number mostly from my ass, but though the NRA spends something like 5x what AIPAC does, 1) like I said earlier, people somehow manage to be more nuanced in their gun commentary and 2) there is no obvious risk that the NRA will be situated into a racist/anti-Semitic/whatever conspiracy.

"Be weary of dynamics that exist in AIPAC discourse that don't exist in, say, NRA discourse" strikes me as a positive double standard.

Also, I think we're losing sight of the fact that Rep. Omar's mistake was kind of specific. It was to reflexively center, in a manner that was both incredibly reductionist and highly generalizing, an expression of support for Israel around money/AIPAC.

I said this earlier: when it comes to this topic, you're going to run into bad faith all day long. In my mind, though, there's not really any need for groundwork setting before saying "fuck AIPAC."

(Oh, and our explanations for AIPAC's influence pretty much align, I think. I just worded it differently.)
We're constantly talking about hunting rifles and stuff not being the target of gun legislation when we discuss the issue as to make it clear what's actually being discussed and it's not "BAN ALL GUNS".

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's the problem. You are refusing to acknowledge that any critique could possibly have been in good faith. I'm using Max Rose as an example cause he was public- he had astrong statement about the first tweet and RT combo, then accepted the apology and flipped the meeting with the press into an attack on Kevin McCarthy. This is the behavior of someone acting in good faith. This is why the acceptance of the apology is a good litmus test, because if they're really upset about AIPAC, they ain't gonna be happy with that apology.
I'm not refusing to acknowledge that it can be in good faith.
And FFS sake man, why can you speak for youself?
Because it's always "well this guy said that" to which I replied "well, I don't think that a good argument", but like, am I now arguing with Max Rose?
Why can't I argue with you?

p.s.
The only thing I saw Max Rose say is that she used "hateful tropes", which again, is not something I think is so self evident that I can just accept it as is.
If he went into more details then I missed it.

You can call a white guy a thug with no problem. You can't call a black guy a thug without getting pushback. This isn't a double standard, it's understanding that "thug" is a dogwhistle and using your words to avoid the problem.
You really don't think the difference between calling a black person a thug and say that AIPAC lobby congress?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
We need to fight antisemitism at all cost. No question about it.

But criticizing AIPAC influence is not antisemitism. AIPAC is way too influential ( as other lobbies by the way ) in the Congress and media and that's a problem to solve the Israel-palestinian crisis.

I remember I was always wondering why CNN was so one sided in the conflict. Then one day I saw a documentary where it was said Wolf Blitzer was a AIPAC member. How on Earth CNN is not going to be biased about the conflict then ?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns surrounding antisemitism and antagonizing other members
At this point you're playing persecution Olympics as if pointing out black people have it harder in America, Jews must be fine. The stats have already been posted in this thread about hate crimes towards Jews. Having it easier doesn't magically mean there's no issue or we have not been a persecuted minority in America.
I think the people who play prosecution Olympics are those that pretend that white Jews are an oppressed minority in the US.

And Kirblar has explained where the backlash came from since page 1. Over and over again. Yet you continue bringing up points literally nobody is arguing about Kevin McCarthy and bad faith arguments. You're just arguing against yourself.
Oh look, another person who can vaguely point at the direction of other people and say they explained what's offensive about what she tweeted, yet somehow wouldn't explain it themselves.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I remember I was always wondering why CNN was so one sided in the conflict. Then one day I saw a documentary where it was said Wolf Blitzer was a AIPAC member. How on Earth CNN is not going to be biased about the conflict then ?

This is tangential at best to the thread, but this '89 exchange between Wolf Blitzer and Norman Finkelstein is worth watching:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't tell if you're agreeing with #1 or disagreeing with #2. :P
Agreeing with #1. :)
I'm not refusing to acknowledge that it can be in good faith.
And FFS sake man, why can you speak for youself?
Because it's always "well this guy said that" to which I replied "well, I don't think that a good argument", but like, am I now arguing with Max Rose?
Why can't I argue with you?

p.s.
The only thing I saw Max Rose say is that she used "hateful tropes", which again, is not something I think is so self evident that I can just accept it as is.
If he went into more details then I missed it.

You really don't think the difference between calling a black person a thug and say that AIPAC lobby congress?
I have spoken for myself. I thought it was more likely to be an accidental fuckup than a intended error, but if that's the case, you need to clarify that, and she did with a great statement that should put this to bed. I'm at the point where it's not worth responding to you because you don't seem to be willing to accept what those perspectives are. You're given them, but they're dismissed. "Hateful tropes" = "Jewish people only care about money." = If you're not directly specifying AIPAC when saying "they only care about money", people will fill in the blank on "The" themselves. Don't let them. Be specific and dodge the quagmire.

I'm saying that if you have a need to use language like that where it would technically be appropriate contextually if you weren't intending it to be a racist dogwhistle, you have other synonyms available to you to use that won't get any backlash.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
What's she gonna do now?
Make Omar un-apologize?
I think that's the correct tactical response here, hopefully she's as pissed as I am that Ilhan Omar was raked like that over this bullshit.
she could've came to her defense at some point instead of putting out a weakass statement that basically says nothing and could've been written by any other democrat

An actual good take:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agreeing with #1. :)

I have spoken for myself. I thought it was more likely to be an accidental fuckup than a intended error, but if that's the case, you need to clarify that, and she did with a great statement that should put this to bed. I'm at the point where it's not worth responding to you because you don't seem to be willing to accept what those perspectives are. You're given them, but they're dismissed. "Hateful tropes" = "Jewish people only care about money." = If you're not directly specifying AIPAC when saying "they only care about money", people will fill in the blank on "The" themselves. Don't let them. Be specific and dodge the quagmire.

I'm saying that if you have a need to use language like that where it would technically be appropriate contextually if you weren't intending it to be a racist dogwhistle, you have other synonyms available to you to use that won't get any backlash.
You seem to spend way more posts being angry at me that I don't understand you than trying to explain your position.
But you do it now, so let's engage (unless you're already deemed me unworthy of engagement), I think it's a crazy as leap to go from "it's all about the Benjamins" in respond to AIPAC to "Jewish people only care about money", you honestly know people ho think like that?
Did you think like that?
I personally know people that said that, like, half my friends in Israel do, but they all also have really important thought about Linda Sarsour if you know what I mean.
I asked you before, If you were talking to your friends about how Adelson controls the GOP and someone said "it's all Benajamins baby" would you think it's racist or inappropriate?

Yeah, opinions and all, but how the fuck is she supposed to talk about AIPAC if that's the bar?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
she could've came to her defense at some point instead of putting out a weakass statement that basically says nothing and could've been written by any other democrat

An actual good take:

She could have, though honestly, I think the correct move for both of them is to not get into a fight with leadership over this.
I hope they aren't scared into silence, and I certainly think the Democratic party can and should move on this issue, but right now, that's probably the wrong hill to die on.

And just so we're crystal clear - I'm only really talking about Omar and AOC here, I don't want anyone to read it like I think it was a good move by Pelosi to shit on her.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
How are you not going to link to the most important Wolf Blitzer video of all time?

Haha, there's the chaser. That -$4,000 feels subtext being turned into text.

An actual good take:

This is a terrible take. AOC and Bernie have pushed the Overton window again and again, weathered more than their share of rabid criticism (AOC, in particular), but because AOC emphasized the pain that was communicated to her instead of the bad faith actors, she doesn't have the stuff to push her agenda...?

Fuck this dude.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You seem to spend way more posts being angry at me that I don't understand you than trying to explain your position.
But you do it now, so let's engage (unless you're already deemed me unworthy of engagement), I think it's a crazy as leap to go from "it's all about the Benjamins" in respond to AIPAC to "Jewish people only care about money", you honestly know people ho think like that?
Did you think like that?
I personally know people that said that, like, half my friends in Israel do, but they all also have really important thought about Linda Sarsour if you know what I mean.
I asked you before, If you were talking to your friends about how Adelson controls the GOP and someone said "it's all Benajamins baby" would you think it's racist or inappropriate?

Yeah, opinions and all, but how the fuck is she supposed to talk about AIPAC if that's the bar?
I don't think the leap is crazy. I wouldn't make it off that alone, but I don't think noticing the overlap and giving it the side-eye is crazy. And I really don't think being upset by the RT is crazy in the slightest, it was ugly, even if accidentally so.

AOC is talking about how she's speaking to Jewish people privately about this who were legitimately upset and is trying to help reconcile things. If you won't trust me on this, maybe you'll trust her?

You talk about AIPAC by explicitly specifying AIPAC. This may legitimately be a language thing where you're not catching the subtleties.
Lol and all the Network will talk about how Trump is right and shit and how he's becoming President with this or some shit.
Yeah this one can get some receipts pulled if they try it.

D i Z

Oct 25, 2017
Where X marks the spot.
Black woman uses language well established and defined in the black lexicon, and white people gotta go twist that shit like always....even knowing that she didn't actually commit the crime she's accused of. Meanwhile, these same fools are hollering about their new leaders need to redefine leadership, and be better and more effective than what we've got. You can't have it both ways.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the leap is crazy. I wouldn't make it off that alone, but I don't think noticing the overlap and giving it the side-eye is crazy. And I really don't think being upset by the RT is crazy in the slightest, it was ugly, even if accidentally so.

AOC is talking about how she's speaking to Jewish people privately about this who were legitimately upset and is trying to help reconcile things. If you won't trust me on this, maybe you'll trust her?

You talk about AIPAC by explicitly specifying AIPAC. This may legitimately be a language thing where you're not catching the subtleties.
I can tell that I'm not going to get to you on that "all about the Benjamins" thing, so final question, was that something that you yourself saw and was "shit, that's offensive" or that you saw other people being offended and you thought they have a good point?

And I still don't understand what the issue with the RT, the dude she RT-ed came at her with a really fucking gross accusation, and I really really don't think she owe him anything, and I certainly don't think we should judge her on that, especially as ffs, it's just RT, I mean, ya'll acting like she posted swastikas at him.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guess guy thinks he is the self appointed leader of Jewish people in America. No "white" Jews in America have suffered harassment under his watch.
Why don't you engage with "that guy" and what he say?
Also, I love it how my opinion is "I think I speak for all the Jews" but your opinion is just good old acceptable opinion one can have.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can tell that I'm not going to get to you on that "all about the Benjamins" thing, so final question, was that something that you yourself saw and was "shit, that's offensive" or that you saw other people being offended and you thought they have a good point?

And I still don't understand what the issue with the RT, the dude she RT-ed came at her with a really fucking gross accusation, and I really really don't think she owe him anything, and I certainly don't think we should judge her on that, especially as ffs, it's just RT, I mean, ya'll acting like she posted swastikas at him.
I saw it and the RT at the same time via a image linked post w/ both together at once. My reaction was "you REALLY need to clarify what you meant here", because I could see the accidental inference with the first but the RT was horrible. You either have clumsy or hateful, and you need to be clear that it's clumsy.

Do you not use twitter? RTing people coming at you is done all the time in order to humiliate the person sending the message. In this case, that's a highly inappropriate response for a sitting public official, and its even worse when they're on your side of the political axis and are genuinely upset.
Weird it's almost like Omar's attackers are acting in bad faith or something
Even the ones AOC says have privately spoken to her that aren't?

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC is 100% right here:

damn she's already subtweeting Era

When you find yourself on the same side of the wall as Trump, you know you fucked up.

thankfully no one who had an honest issue with what Omar said wants her to resign and, in fact, wanting an apology shows an actual desire for her to keep doing what she's doing!

hell I came away from this liking her more because of how she maneuvered through this issue

all these "but the right!" posts are really silly tbh

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha Trump asking someone to resign because of controversial language towards a group of people. Hahahaha. Fuck you Trump and the media can go fuck themselves too for not putting his feet to the fire the same way they are to a Muslim congresswoman. Fuck offfffff.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neither of us know what those conversations were like (or if they even happened) so not sure how to respond here?
Do you believe AOC or not when she says that privately, Jewish people were reaching out upset about the accidental overtones, and that Muslim people were reaching out about false bad faith accusations of anti-semitism?

Or do you think she's making it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.