• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I was in a room with about 6 twenty somethings before the last midterm, and said "hey I wont tell you who to vote for, but please go vote." They all rolled their eyes and said they had more important things going on.

So we think everyone here is going to vote, but maybe not. Cant be said enough.

If the report is much worse somehow, of course Trump and Bitch McConnell are going to start spinning immediately.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I might be a little out of loop here. So basically Trump won 2016 fair and square right? Can't wait for the family dinner tonight :(

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So who is even able to see the full report now?

If Congress can't subpoena it then it is it just basically hidden forever unless someone leaks it?

Barr and Rosenstein.

It will be made available to Congress once Barr and Mueller has gone through it together, redacting parts that would e.g. harm ongoing investigations.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for YEARS. That liberals shouldn't put all of their political eggs all in one basket. That Mueller is not the Messiah or infallible. That Trump had a path to victory. No one listened.

Now people want to act surprised that this is the result.

Totally agree. I don't know how representative Era is of 'the left' but it's abundantly clear many on here care more about gestures and appearing to be righteous than actually living in the real world. Look at the outrage that greeted Pelosi saying she wasn't pursuing impeachment. The fact there was zero chance of conviction in the Senate and going through the process and losing would be hugely damaging to the Dems was completely irrelevant. This impeachment process in the House had to begin.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been saying this for YEARS. That liberals shouldn't put all of their political eggs all in one basket. That Mueller is not the Messiah or infallible. That Trump had a path to victory. No one listened.

Now people want to act surprised that this is the result.

There is a disconnect between online liberals and what people on the ground are doing and it is really destroying the whole thing. Very few people were campaigning on Russia-gate or anything related to the obstruction case. Dem leaders were also denying that they saw a way to impeach Trump. However, Center-Left Twitter and some posters here became obsessed with this idea. You had a bubble of positive-feedback that was not consistent with the reality of the campaigns. Hopefully this gives people enough time to decompress and refocus.

HP_Wuvcraft

Oct 26, 2017
South of San Francisco
Sorry I might be a little out of loop here. So basically Trump won 2016 fair and square right? Can't wait for the family dinner tonight :(
Make sure to remind them that Barr, a Trump appointee, only wrote a four page letter cherry-picking quotes from a likely 100+ page document.

We've seen with our own fucking eyes the ongoing results of the Mueller investigation, and Barr's letter essentially contradicts that reality.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Releasing the full report won't change the fact that Mueller didn't determine there was any obstruction. Even if the statement is a spin by Barr, those are facts that can't be spun. Sorry, now go vote next year.

Comey saying that while she didn't commit a crime HRC exhibited poor behavior and danced on the line of crimes. That was enough to cost her the election. Just because indictments were not recommended it does not mean the full truth won't be damaging to Trump.

Deleted member 2533

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Barr has to know the complete report will come out one way or another, so the odds of a completely shameless ice job are relatively low. The report probably isn't as damning as everyone wants.

What would be the consequences of such a spin? Like, why not spin it? Why would he say, "the report concerns me greatly and congress needs to investigate the president" for example?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm willing to bet that Trump is such a massive egotistical buffoon that he'll just wade into the next morass and obscure the fact the collusion investigation didn't stick. He's just too much of an arrogant thin skinned idiot not to fuck this up for himself.

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just remember, this is Barr's interpretation of the Mueller report. He is not a neutral party in this matter, since he had penned a memo that was very critical of the investigation.

I think it's best to wait for the Mueller report itself before drawing any firm conclusions. Even Barr couldn't spin his way around the fact that the report doesn't exonerate Trump, and it's vital for everyone to see the details of why that is the case.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
As expected, people are turning hard on Mueller. It's funny watching how these things work in politics. Comey was the devil himself for months after the shit he pulled late in the election then championed just months later by the same people because he spoke out against trump. Since Mueller stepped in people have been singing his praises, and now he's incompetent and a trump Stan
yeah, the idea that somebody could be criticized for doing one thing but then that same person could also be praised for doing a separate thing is a real head scratcher.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
How you should read for report
Barr:
Mueller could not find any proof to criminally charge any American for collusion with Russia

Also mueller sent proof to me about potential obstruction of justice but I am deciding no it's not enough

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comey saying that while she didn't commit a crime HRC exhibited poor behavior and danced on the line of crimes. That was enough to cost her the election. Just because indictments were not recommended it does not mean the full truth won't be damaging to Trump.

Wasn't her loss a confluence of several factors including incorrect poll numbers and not visiting certain states? I'm not sure it can be solely blamed on the emails.

Code Artisan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Ponn

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The thing is, though, if they don't release it then it's easy fodder for Democrats to scream that they're hiding something.

The point people are immensely missing is that they don't give a shit, because it doesn't matter. The only ones that will listen are Democrats, who already know Trump and the GOP are shit. It's literally preaching to the choir.

For everyone else, especially moderates who have been saying for awhile they just want to move on, this is done and Trump looks like he was right all along. The media is fucked, truth and facts are fucked.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm a leftist btw. And that proves my point. MSNBC and other outlets kept running this story to the ground.

The President of the United States was being investigated for working with another country to undermine an election while the president himself did things in public that were clearly obstruction.

That is a massive fucking story. Of course networks would "run it into the ground."

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pelosi was right. Continuing the impeachment push now is a waste of time and will just alienate moderates and make Dems look delusional.

The fastest exit for Trump is a sound defeat in 2020.

Deleted member 25712

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Leave it to the fucking media to botch the headlines on this..NBC says "Mueller report finds no evidence" while the bullet point below says "insufficient evidence."

Hey fuck heads, those are massively different things. Legal reporting is as bad as science reporting.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect. Her source said the report was very damaging, but that Barr's summary would not be representative. Then, after it dropped and that was exactly the case, her source reaffirmed that the full report is much worse.

I appologize then. I thought that comment was specifically about the summary.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Much of this feels like 2018 again to me, with these early reactions as the details trickle in. A lot of harping on the initial pulse but the heart keeps beating for a while.

The report explicitly stating that the report does not exonerate Trump is damning, and more details will trickle out from the periphery as Barr tries to contain it but it will eventually come out all on its own.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to the fucking media to botch the headlines on this..NBC says "Mueller report finds no evidence" while the bullet point below says "insufficient evidence."

Hey fuck heads, those are massively different things. Legal reporting is as bad as science reporting.

As I said, that's the point of going with the phrasing that they did in the Barr report - it allows it to be woefully misinterpreted, deliberately or otherwise.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Which is super easy to say that he's a partson hack. You probably won't see dem leadership say it, but every other dem will. Conspiracy theories literally helped get trump in to office. It's literally a Republican tactic to play on uncertainty and not releasing the report leaves the door wide open to it. If it says what Barr says it does, it's really dumb NOT to release it.

With the backup from the media, the smart move is not release the report.

Oct 25, 2017
If Barr's summary was always going to be corrupt then why were people ever excited for the report?

People looking for catharsis.

The point people are immensely missing is that they don't give a shit, because it doesn't matter. The only ones that will listen are Democrats, who already know Trump and the GOP are shit. It's literally preaching to the choir.

For everyone else, especially moderates who have been saying for awhile they just want to move on, this is done and Trump looks like he was right all along. The media is fucked, truth and facts are fucked.

Yeah, but a base has to be fired up for anyone else to be. I think the base would be a lot quieter in the face of an actual nothingburger report than leaving a back avenue for base dems to remain angry at a possible cover-up.