• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: Meh. Nope.

Sorry for making it seem like I was downplaying the Ion Fury stuff. I definitely was not trying to do so. The backlash against the Ion Fury devs was appropriate.

I don't personally think that's even the real reason why DF left the site, but I am often wrong. I would still hope that we can agree that the outcome of all this is not something any of us wanted. That is a shame, and I do hope the next time things turn out better.
DF didn't leave the site, though, just John, who did so as a direct result of people calling him out for the Ion Fury vid. Alex is still here and still posts regularly.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
DF didn't leave the site, though, just John, who did so as a direct result of people calling him out for the Ion Fury vid. Alex is still here and still posts regularly.
Oop. Fair enough. I haven't seen him around in a while, so I guess I just got that wrong. I moused over his profile, but didn't check recent post history.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
One of the top tier channels on youtube, they do amazing work. Congrats to all! John's DF Retro features are definitely a highlight of my youtube subs. A shame he left the forum, he was a member of this community for as long as I can remember.

Couldn't agree more. DF retro always produces amazing content.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Congrats to Dark1x and Dictator!

I imagine they'll get real busy with the new generation. Testing some cross-gen multiplats games on as many as... what, 7 (?) consoles/devices, and that's not even counting PC? Godspeed. :D

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
User Banned (1 Week): Derailing and hostility over multiple posts.
Edit: Meh. Nope.

Sorry for making it seem like I was downplaying the Ion Fury stuff. I definitely was not trying to do so. The backlash against the Ion Fury devs was appropriate.

Your framing definitely made it seem so. I mean, framing the fact that people called out John for very deliberately supporting a bunch of bigots as "undeserved mistreatment", is a completely unfair and gross misrepresentation of the situation, can you not see that? John is not a victim, he is a grown ass man that people tried to hold accountable for the content he produces, he does not need babying, I don't understand why such a big portion of gaming side are obsessed with babying John, it's really disturbing.

I don't personally think that's even the real reason why DF left the site, but I am often wrong. I would still hope that we can agree that the outcome of all this is not something any of us wanted. That is a shame, and I do hope the next time things turn out better.

Well, the outcome I was hoping for was that John owned up to the fact that he is serving market piece after market piece for a bunch of fascists and committed to do better, instead he played the victim and basically tripled down on Voidpoint/3D Realms coverage. Next time? He hasn't exactly stopped covering the fascist pricks.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I checked in and saw lots of tags. I'm sorry for being awful before and I've thought deeply about this now in how I cover stuff. Apologies to everyone - really. Some bad things happened that I can't go into prior to the things being discussed...it's complicated. I simply didn't know what to do.

I only came to apologize for it, however. I can't post more beyond this due to the serious mental health/physical issues that arose earlier this year. It's not too bad now but I cannot risk it again - I'm not equipped to deal with it. Especially right now during new consoles. I'm not a strong person, I can admit that. :-(

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i love this channel. i don't understand what the hell they're saying but i still watch.

EDIT godspeed dark1x. keep being awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
I checked in and saw lots of tags. I'm sorry for being awful before and I've thought deeply about this now in how I cover stuff. Apologies to everyone - really. Some bad things happened that I can't go into prior to the things being discussed...it's complicated. I simply didn't know what to do.

I only came to apologize for it, however. I can't post more beyond this due to the serious mental health/physical issues that arose earlier this year. It's not too bad now but I cannot risk it again - I'm not equipped to deal with it. Especially right now during new consoles. I'm not a strong person, I can admit that. :-(

Hey man, thanks for reaching out and posting all this. I hope everything goes well for you and that you find that peace you're looking for. It also takes a strong person to put this out there and understand what you have to work on.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

No worries! Don't come back before you feel ready to. In the meantime I'm going to watch all the great content you put out! All the best

Jan 20, 2019

No worries, stay strong.

Good luck.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017

Hey, John. As far as I'm concerned, it takes courage and strength to own up to our problems. We'll be looking forward to all the content you produce!

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018

Stay safe and stay strong, John!

You guys are my favorite channel on Youtube. Love your content and personality.

Wish you guys all the best!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I like DF's longform content, as well as the historical and DF Retro videos. I just don't need or want that style of content in performance/platform comparison videos. It often feels like they're trying to straddle this weird line between being a Review and being a Visuals/Performance digest......but they aren't critical enough to be a review and are too long-winded to justify a 20 minute performance summary. As I said, timestamping solves the problem.....I just don't like having to scrub through vidoes guessing where the primary information is going to begin.

I watch the whole video if it's a game I really am interested in, but for some titles I really just want to know the basics and not much else.

You can literally come to Era and get a summary in the 1st 5 posts for any video they post if 15 minutes is too much time to watch a video. I honestly do not get this criticism.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Very well deserved, DF! The production quality and, more importantly, quality of the content has been top-notch. :D

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017

This thread is celebrating your success, you dont owe anyone here an apology. Congrats on hitting the 1 million subscriber mark, its fully deserved!

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017

all the best to you john. take care!

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Well deserved!!

Love your channel. As a matter of fact...at first I visited Eurogamer and DF was a nice bonus.

Now...it's the other way around 😉

I don't understand everything in your vids, but I still love watching them.

Can't wait for your PS5 and XSX videos. Cheers 🍻

Dec 11, 2017
What I like about Digital Foundry is they don't shit out videos just to be first. I subscribe because I can count on the videos to be worth my time.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Digital Foundry is probably my favorite YouTube channel. Every time a game releases that I'm interested in, I run to DF to watch their breakdown videos. I've used them for years to decide which version of a multiplatform game I should purchase. Well deserved.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Congrats. Very well deserved. It's an industry reference for quality and performance analysis. Also, the great retrospectives.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dark1x's two-parter on water in games is one of my favorite things. i watch it all the time.

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Dictator

your work is very valuable and helpful. I know you get a lot of shit answers, but for one, I value your work

congrats to you and the team for the landmark

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017

Just posting this on a public forum shows that you're a strong person. Self-reflection and growth is a sign of strength.

Keep up the great work and congrats to you and the DF team!

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I watch their videos all the time. I like Alex, John and Richard a lot. Not sure if there's anyone else I'm missing. But they do great work.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

Rock on dude! Absolutely love all your content along with the rest of DF. Take care of yourself, man. I can't WAIT to see your thoughts on everything next month and I hope you eventually feel well enough to drop by again occasionally. Onward and upward!

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Congrats Digital Foundry crew! I've learned a ton from you guys, and you are my favorite tech content provider by a country mile.

Thanks for all the hard work too, especially during the pandemic. You guys have been working overtime, and it definitely shows.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017

You cool man. Do what you need to do for yourself!

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Digital Foundry is fantastic -- a huge congratulations and thank you to the team for all their hard work!

I imagine they'll get real busy with the new generation. Testing some cross-gen multiplats games on as many as... what, 7 (?) consoles/devices, and that's not even counting PC? Godspeed. :D

Oh, god, I hadn't even considered that for cross-gen multiplats. That's a lot, wow.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
DF has drastically improved in quality over the last 5-7 years. Ever since moving away from focusing on comparisons and going more in-depth on games tech (new and old) it's definitely become more interesting to watch.

I remember when all DF was, was the "look at 400x zoom pictures of 360/PS3 games" and the center of all fanboy warz.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Hey Dark1x I appreciate you coming in with this, thank you. I wouldn't hit yourself with having been awful before though. It was a sore point and it raised questions but it's nothing that leaves a mark beyond some understanding and recognition. You might not consider yourself strong but you came back to say this all directly and confront the issue; I think that shows you as having more of that strength than you think. Focus on yourself and your health primarily, and I hope you find some footholds against these issues soon. Sincere congratulations on the 1 million subscribers, enjoy that celebration and here's to the second million. I hope you enjoy breaking down the opening of this new generation as much as the people here enjoy watching you do so. All the best.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thank you for coming back here for this and I hope you're able to get better in the future and your health gets better. On a better note, I hope to see more Retro DF with more Saturn games!

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DF mocking the perceived XSX heating nonsense (in their stream posted here). Rich on point once again.