• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Despite... all the memes... I've found the CDC diagram to be vague, besides, you can "sing" Happy Birthday twice, or recite the Litany Against Fear or other timers as fast as you want, so that might not be the best way to go about things.

Enter Alton Brown, host of Good Eats, Cutthroat Kitchen, The Worst Chefs In America, and Iron Chef America. Good Eats, his flagship show breaks down the science of how/why cooking/baking works through comedy, and this video follows the same formula, breaking down why soap, over hand sanitizer, and why this method (his 30 second, admittedly closer to 45) method helps kill viruses. Breaking down everything into 5 second chunks somehow is easier for me to follow.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well the problem with that video is that he touches the plastic bag that holds the paper towels after washing his hands.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The simplest piece of advice for kids is the happy birthday song (wash for entire duration of singing -at least once and preferably twice - with hot water and soap) which is now even easier thanks to the defeat of what turned out to be an absurd copyright claim that made Warner Chapell a huge fortune over the years.

arstechnica.com

“Happy Birthday” is public domain, former owner Warner/Chapell to pay $14M

Winning lawyer says more bogus copyrights may come under legal attack.

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
Damn, that escalated quickly. I was showing it to my 10 and 9 year olds without prewatching it haaha.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
The simplest piece of advice for kids is the happy birthday song (wash for entire duration of singing -at least once and preferably twice - with hot water and soap) which is now even easier thanks to the defeat of what turned out to be an absurd copyright claim that made Warner Chapell a huge fortune over the years.

arstechnica.com

“Happy Birthday” is public domain, former owner Warner/Chapell to pay $14M

Winning lawyer says more bogus copyrights may come under legal attack.
Water temp actually doesn't matter according to the CDC

Show Me the Science - How to Wash Your Hands | Handwashing | CDC

Information about handwashing and hand hygiene

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
People legit have to learn how to wash their hands. That's the most "Wow" thing about this pandemic to me. Would've thought proper hygiene was a given

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
we say hot water for rigor and to clean stuff off her (11 year old) hands like ink and glue that are affected by temperature and can be little velcros for other contaminants.
Yes, I use warm water because I have sticky children too!

I'm just saying some people are under the misconception that it needs to be a scalding hot to kill bacteria or viruses, it doesn't. Soap, good lather / coverage, clean running water = win.

Oct 27, 2017
People legit have to learn how to wash their hands. That's the most "Wow" thing about this pandemic to me. Would've thought proper hygiene was a given
It's not that unbelievable that people were told a bunch of bullshit about antibacterial soap and super hot water, when what really matters is making the surface incredibly fucking binding and slippery.

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
It's not that unbelievable that people were told a bunch of bullshit about antibacterial soap and super hot water, when what really matters is making the surface incredibly fucking binding and slippery.
Yeah I believed the "hot as you can take it" forever now, which is apparently bullshit, but I've always completely lathered up every bit of surface on my hands.