• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
NiOT0g4.png

lol fuckery.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
how is the book ? any good?

I found this in an Amazon Review. Apparently it falls apart in the second half.
*Spoilers in review* I preordered this book and really looked forward to it, but ultimately it was very disappointing. The first half of the novel, which mirrors Hillary Rodham Clinton's actual life is fun to read- it was enjoyable to see her feelings about parts of her life imagined, and I enjoyed it for the same reason I like shows like The Crown. It's always interesting to imagine how people who have lead notable lives feel about it.

The second half of the novel is a giant mess. In rewriting Clinton's history, Sittenfield has her make decisions completely at odds with who she is as a person. Erasing Carol Moseley Braun? Having Bill Clinton run against her for president and lead crowds in misogynistic chants forcing her to seek help from... Donald Trump?

It's so poorly thought through and doesn't make logical sense when you consider how misogyny, racism, and other forms of oppression actually work. I put the book down angry that I'd wasted my time and my money on a book that missed the entire point of Clinton's legacy of building coalitions of people with a goal of making things better, of making the impossible possible.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
You know, I wonder how much this coronavirus thing would be different given that you got a large mix of folks that
a) don't believe it no matter what
b) don't believe it because it's a liberal conspiracy
c) wouldn't follow mask orders from a woman
d) don't care

I am certain it would be better, but not sure how much. It just seems that America was set up to suck at global pandemics given how much states have control and how dumb we are
If Trump wasn't elected and Hillary was, he would either have a prime time TV show or entire news network made up of alt-right people screaming every single day about the election and how bad it is in the world.

We'd most likely be in the exact same space with people's mindsets regardless.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

Why not?

People can think what they want about Hillary now, but it's hard to deny that she's a fascinating study.

She was a politically driven young woman who held radical feminist views (for the era) and had the AOC-like ability to drive the right absolutely bonkers by merely breathing.

Remember, we're talking about this person:

What her life would have been had she not tied her fortunes to Bill Clinton could make for a good story. And last I checked the book this is based on was well received.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not your fault. The thread title is somewhat misleading. lol
No surprise there, considering...

am I missing something here? seems like hulu is beginning development on an alternate history series about hillary clinton ("Hulu begins developing Hilary Clinton alt history series") and that does indeed confirm that we are living in the corniest hell ("Confirming we truly live in the corniest hell")

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many countries have a problem with creating cults of personalities around their politicians/powerful people - and usually, those least deserving of becoming role models.

But the US dials this shit up to 11. Embarrassing.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
There's like a million other things worth doing before creating some garbage myth building show about Hillary. Embarrassing.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
am I missing something here? seems like hulu is beginning development on an alternate history series about hillary clinton ("Hulu begins developing Hilary Clinton alt history series") and that does indeed confirm that we are living in the corniest hell ("Confirming we truly live in the corniest hell")

Well, the thread title infers a hell of a lot, especially if you're unaware of the book that the series is based on. Crappy thread title going for glib laughs rather than actual imparting of information.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017

"Corniest hell" assumes you hold the same views of Hillary Clinton that certain groups do. It implies that Hillary isn't a long-standing public figure worthy of having her life explored and/or speculated on, when really that's all we've ever done.

And people are entitled to feel how they want about Hillary. She's a polarizing figure. But seeing as this show is based on a popular book, I'd say not everyone feels this is a sign of the corny end times.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There could very well be an interesting story there, but I question why it needs to be delivered as essentially irl fan fiction instead of an original character blatantly inspired by Hillary.
Mythologizing public figures like that as if they're fictional characters rather than real people makes me a little uncomfortable.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the thread title infers a hell of a lot, especially if you're unaware of the book that the series is based on. Crappy thread title going for glib laughs rather than actual imparting of information.

I don't know, sounds like hulu is beginning development on an alternate history hillary clinton series

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, sounds like hulu is beginning development on an alternate history hillary clinton series

But the first thought when someone says that is not "Young Hillary doesn't marry Bill. What happens?"

I mean, I've got the book on my Amazon wishlist, and even I didn't know the title was referencing the book. (Good thing I read the embedded link.)

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017

that's certainly what I took from the title, which states that hulu is beginning to develop a hillary clinton alt-history series

I've taken a lot of critical reading classes, though, so I'm very good at getting information out of what are assuredly very complex sentences

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
can you hide things from yourself on the service?
the idea came to me over seeing trump things but would apply here too

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
that's certainly what I took from the title, which states that hulu is beginning to develop a hillary clinton alt-history series

I've taken a lot of critical reading classes, though, so I'm very good at getting information out of what are assuredly very complex sentences

Ah, perhaps you missed the class on reader's assumptions, acquired knowledge and inference. :)

then have I got the OP for you!

I'm all ears!

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Alt history show idea: What if Blockbuster bought Netflix when they have the chance.

Do it Hulu.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
There could very well be an interesting story there, but I question why it needs to be delivered as essentially irl fan fiction instead of an original character blatantly inspired by Hillary.
Mythologizing public figures like that as if they're fictional characters rather than real people makes me a little uncomfortable.

Here's the thing: people mythologize "Shillary Killton" all the time.

A fundamental difference here is that this is mythologizing that's positively framed.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i think someone said "we need a woman president show"

then they did the documentary on her campaign which was well done i guess?

next obvious step was fanfictionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to say we already had this series and it was called Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century, but apparently the president in that one is Chelsea Clinton.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing: people mythologize "Shillary Killton" all the time.

A fundamental difference here is that this is mythologizing that's positively framed.
It sounds like we agree that mythologizing political figures is a problem. I don't think it's a problem that's solved by doing it the other way.

Who knew all those hours back in 2017 writing my Bernie fan fiction might finally pay off. BRB, boutta pitch to Netflix
what if Bernie never bought his third house?

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
can someone make a tv show where she doesnt beg Bill to sign the horrific welfare reform that ruined the lives of countless people?

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Your outsides are attractive all by themselves. I don't know if I'm supposed to say this during the women's movement, but you have great tits. And your little waist, and your nice soft bum, and your delicious honey pot..."

I joined Bill in bed, and when I was lying on my back naked and he was lying on top of me naked, he looked at me and smiled. He said, "Hillary, I really enjoy discussing theology with you. I also enjoy doing lots of other things with you," and then he plunged inside me.

QlvxpCI.gif

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a very weird premise for a show, I have to say. I'd be way more interested in an alt-history show where the story is that Carol Moseley Braun won the 2004 election. Or hell, one where Shirley Chisholm won in 1972. That'd be some shit.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
It sounds like we agree that mythologizing political figures is a problem. I don't think it's a problem that's solved by doing it the other way.

what if Bernie never bought his third house?

I mean, I've been upfront that I would probably watch the show. That said, not going to pretend like I don't see your point.

I just have a suspicion that some of the people complaining about positive mythologizing of Hillary Clinton are not so upset about some of the cartoonishly villainous characterizations she's gotten over the decades.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You know, I wonder how much this coronavirus thing would be different given that you got a large mix of folks that
a) don't believe it no matter what
b) don't believe it because it's a liberal conspiracy
c) wouldn't follow mask orders from a woman
d) don't care

I am certain it would be better, but not sure how much. It just seems that America was set up to suck at global pandemics given how much states have control and how dumb we are

Clinton wouldn't have dismantled the apparatus Obama put in place to stop such a pandemic, to begin with, like Trump did. She would have listened to leading health experts and scientists and got in front of it when news hit US intelligence back in January. So it's really hard to say how differently things would have gone. But I think it's safe to say they would have gone better. We probably wouldn't have nearly as many angry people marching around with US flag shirts calling people racial slurs because they have to wear a mask to pick up their take out.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't need or want this.

But if the premise is "how far could an extremely intelligent woman with loads of ambition, few scruples, and little charm, succeed in American politics?" I don't know, there might be value in that. Sort of a female version of Frank Underwood in House of Cards, with less murder. I'm not taking anything away from Hillary, she's a smart person, but without Bill's political talent and charisma I don't know how far she would have gone. DC is full of sharp policy people with Ivy League degrees.

the venn diagram between this show watchers and hamilton fans has been confirmed to be a perfect circle

Holy fuck lol

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why not?

People can think what they want about Hillary now, but it's hard to deny that she's a fascinating study.

She was a politically driven young woman who held radical feminist views (for the era) and had the AOC-like ability to drive the right absolutely bonkers by merely breathing.

Remember, we're talking about this person:

What her life would have been had she not tied her fortunes to Bill Clinton could make for a good story. And last I checked the book this is based on was well received.
Yeah so fascinating to imagine a world where Hilary Clinton wasn't an awful human being who made her own choices to tie herself to Bill Clinton and then go on to do anything in the name of becoming president rather than losing to one of the most hated people of all time. This woman literally had inmates working as servants for her. This is, in every sense of the words, corny as hell (and thats the nice way of putting it).