• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like Nintendo's apparent resentment of the online experience is willful.

I gotta commend them for continuing to help keep local multilayer alive. Some of my best gaming moments are playing switch games side-by-side with my son. But if Nintendo can appreciate that people will want to play this game with friends/family in the same room, why can't they also appreciate that people will want to play with friends/family remotely?

The leaderboard excuse makes no sense. There are too many viable ways to have that cake and eat it too.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
Super weird choice. What is the reasoning behind letting strangers in but not friends? Is this just Nintendo being Nintendo or is there something else?
Well they're lying plain and simple, and many users here have pointed out logical reasons why that's the case.
They're definitely not randoms that you'd be connecting to. I stated earlier when the thread was on fire that I think this is forced matchmaking to keep host to client's ping time as low as possible, because the netplay probably needs it to keep from slowing and possibly breaking the experience completely. Think Smash where one player is dragging the other 3. So from a technical standpoint I understand why a choice was made, but personally if I were to mandate anything, it would be regional and wired connections only.

Last edited:

membran

Oct 27, 2017
If the lag isn't so bad, someone somewhere is going to figure out how to get Friend Play working by the host turning their PC into some sort of VPN for the remote Switch to connect to. Somehow.
haha that's probably true -- if they connect over wifi you could try using hamachi or something.

Ha, if this works then not only could you play online with friends that way, but you'd only need one player to actually have an active subscription as per Nintendo's own information.

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
its pretty clear that they have no one qualified to even make a decent matchmaking that works with friends.

Hey Nintendo, Microsoft literally works across the street from you.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Well they're lying plain and simple, and many users here have pointed out logical reasons why that's the case.
They're definitely not randoms that you'd be connecting to. I stated earlier when the thread was on fire that I think this is forced matchmaking to keep host to client's ping time as low as possible, because the netplay probably needs it to keep from slowing and possibly breaking the experience completely. Think Smash where one player is dragging the other 3. So from a technical standpoint I understand why a choice was made, but personally if I were to mandate anything, it would be regional and wired connections only.
Wired? Might as well not do it then.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
if the problems are leaderboards, why not do like fighting games and have a casual and ranked lobbies ... and you can only play with friends (be it online or same console) on casual?

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Even freaking SPLATOON 2 has several ways to play with a few friends online.

Surprised at the amount of people that care about this. I saw this as a a secondary feature I would probably never use, as I don't have any friends that would ever play Mario Maker levels any way.

Sometimes randoms only is a valid decision. I think it makes perfect sense in Dark Souls. I don't really understand the reasoning here though.
Surprised to see surprised people.
I have friends I like to play with and they leave far away. I wanted the game before seeing this confirmation, now it lost 9/10 of its value basically.
Yeah it's the same game... but I can't enjoy any of it with my friends, only create, let them play alone and vice versa. Pretty unappealing compared to enjoying any level with them and create together.

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
Did someone at Nintendo get hit really hard in the head or something? This is beyond stupid.

This mode may as well not exist now.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There has to be a good way to let Nintendo know people want this. I'm not talking about a Change.org petition, but I'd rather tweet or send an e-mail to someone than just be bummed and move on.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I don't buy any Nintendo games like this. I will buy their single player stuff but anything multiplayer orientated always has a catch when friends are involved. Worst company EVER when it comes to multiplayer.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
if the problems are leaderboards, why not do like fighting games and have a casual and ranked lobbies ... and you can only play with friends (be it online or same console) on casual?
Because that makes sense. Look at who/what you're dealing with here. Nintendo is basically my stubborn grandpa refusing to learn Facebook.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
This has to be a design decision rather than a technical one. I heard on GB that it was because they didn't want leader boards polluted but as they pointed out... just exclude coop from leader boards.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't buy any Nintendo games like this. I will buy their single player stuff but anything multiplayer orientated always has a catch when friends are involved. Worst company EVER when it comes to multiplayer.
You don't have to play multiplayer courses, then it would be the same as Mario maker 1

Kyussons

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you're just here to stir up shit or have absolutely no clue about Nintendo games or probably both?

Nintendo updates the heck out of their games nowadays. They do enough baffling shit themselves without having to resort to making stuff up, mate.

Making stuff up ? Nintendo is miles behind other devs regarding the post launch support of their games , including listening to feedback from users and adding requested features.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Making stuff up ? Nintendo is miles behind other devs regarding the post launch support of their games , including listening to feedback from users and adding requested features.
Well, you're either making stuff up, or you're terribly misinformed. Nintendo has been pretty consistent overall in continuing to update its games with additional content and QoL features. ARMS received a bunch of updates, including frequently requested additions and fixes that they hadn't originally planned. Splatoon as an IP has been built around the consistent update philosophy. Hell even Mario Tennis Aces is still getting updated even if people aren't paying it much attention. The original Super Mario Maker on the Wii U got a ton of updates including requested course parts and other things I can't recall top of mind. Even Tetris 99, a NSO freebie, is getting new modes and QoL fixes. Them taking this heat and putting together friend play online for SMM2 is not so unreasonable and would fall in line with the update strategy of a lot of their other big titles. So yeah your depiction of their post-launch support for their games is a mischaracterization, at least in the past 3-4 years.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But the point is I want to play multiplayer with friends but this is something Nintendo can't do. It's either local with friends or online with strangers.
Going by Nintendo's wording it sounds like that will be updated in the future, and if doesn't happen I'm still going to enjoy it, it's better than Mario maker 1 either way

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Nintendo EAD games get tons of support post-launch. Botw, Mk8dx, Mario odyssey, splatoon 2, etc...
And Mario Maker 2 happens to be developed by Nintendo EAD.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
What's next?
Will Animal Crossing not allow me to visit my friends' towns? Only randoms?
What's it going to take for Nintendo to actually think about the online functionality in their games from a different perspective?

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that's so wack. I originally wasn't going to buy the game, then I was going to buy due to MP with friends. Obviously I assumed wrong. I'm just glad I didn't pre-order it already.

I mean, you could say you should have expected this, but with them charging for online I really thought they would actually try now...

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Nintendo's messaging around online is often confusing. That they have to clarify (sometimes through tutorials) exactly how certain things work shows how unintuitive it is.

This won't hamper my enjoyment of the game, but it seems like one of those things where the issue could have been solved quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.