• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
How hard would it be to code in an "ok, you are playing with friends on your friends list, you are excluded from online ranking leaderboards for that session?"

Doesn't seem too hard, no?

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
All of Nintendo top brass were against it during the GC era. It's one of those things that Iwata resisted until they were completely behind the competition, famously saying that customers didn't want it, and that industry interest was falling off. Probably just comes down to Nintendo being a very financially conservative company and wanting to so things as cheaply as they can.

I was joking 😂

Japanese developers took a absurdly long time to embrace the Internet on console games and even today many of them do it weirdly e.g. Cspcom and monster hunter world

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you play online while doing local co op from 1 switch or do you have to download the levels from online then play them offline co op?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would anyone buy their garbage ass online service when they clearly don't give a shit about their customer's experience? Talk about the most bare minimum effort put forth by Nintendo. They seriously just don't give a damn.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I hope Nintendo receives enough backlash they will actually change it.

Throughout the recent years, Nintendo has made online decisions which range from questionable (Splatoon stage-rotation) to egregious (Voice-Chat through mobile App).

I would definitely put this absence of friend lobbies in Mario Maker in the egregious category.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone buy their garbage ass online service when they clearly don't give a shit about their customer's experience? Talk about the most bare minimum effort put forth by Nintendo. They seriously just don't give a damn.

Because you have to in order to share levels and play levels made by other people.

It sucks but it's not really a mystery why people will be paying for NSO.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why does Nintendo keep doing things like this?

This is a good enough reason for me to skip the game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Just in time for the Giantbombcast to speak on it after all of their praising.

Nintendo is dumb as hell.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol charging me online and then omitting online features people mastered in 2002.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
This decision has to lose more customers than it gains, right? Who wants something like this?

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Nintendo receives enough backlash they will actually change it.

Throughout the recent years, Nintendo has made online decisions which range from questionable (Splatoon stage-rotation) to egregious (Voice-Chat through mobile App).

I would definitely put this absence of friend lobbies in Mario Maker in the egregious category.

Yea me too, though I am always a bit lost on where the most relevant place to send my complaints would even be. Complaining about Nintendo products always feels a bit like shouting into a void considering how often Nintendo has already had lots complaints when it comes to their online features and they still have yet to really address many of them.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I really, really wanted to believe this was just the result of some horrible miscommunication.

I can't believe Nintendo *actually* thinks people care more about mario maker online leaderboards than the ability to play with friends

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they'll patch it when the new Super Nintendo Online deluxe launches next September.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's kind of funny actually. You can't even send invites to people on your friend's list anyway. Why would a game support playing online with friends when the network itself doesn't even allow you to invite your friends to the game to begin with?

It's just jaw dropping when considering just how ancient Nintendo's online infrastructure is.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Cry01q2WYAEm7qG.jpg

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Nintendo continuously downplays and disappoints with the online multiplayer experience on their platform yet ppl act suprised everytime a major 1st party title is released and does this nonsense. So weird.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"Play with your friends, but only if you are in the same room" is the Nintendo standard.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That's lame. But on the other hand I'm glad local multiplayer is confirmed 4 players.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
It's kind of funny actually. You can't even send invites to people on your friend's list anyway. Why would a game support playing online with friends when the network itself doesn't even allow you to invite your friends to the game to begin with?

It's just jaw dropping when considering just how ancient Nintendo's online infrastructure is.
It's one of my biggest gripes since the Switch was first announced. No basic online functionality within the console itself in 2017 and now 2019 is terrible baffling. For Smash I have to use external methods to play with friends, whereas on PSN I'd send a quick message and that'd be it (because not all the people I play with are people I have on social networks or Discord), hell I can send an invite directly and wait to see if they come or not. On Switch though? Nope, can't.
It's stupid but it's also fixable on their end and the solution should be relatively easy, assuming they listen to the fanbase.
The downplaying begins. It's a very stupid decision, as are the things I explained above. It being fixable with a hypothetical post-release patch doesn't mean we shouldn't give Nintendo shit for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.