• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I dunno, that doesn't even make sense and that would be the opposite of what Nintendo usually does, makes it far easier to play with friends (still annoying in some games) than to play with randoms.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Event staff? LOL

If you've ever been to any of these game events, you'd know they don't exactly know much about the product they're promoting. Sounds crazy, but it's true.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Event staff? LOL

If you've ever been to any of these game events, you'd know they don't exactly know much about the product they're promoting. Sounds crazy, but it's true.
It was actually a Treehouse employee, I have no idea why a random tweet from someone who wasn't at the event is a threadmark but this tweet the author made almost 3 hours ago isn't

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
What bad experience did someone high up at Nintendo Japan have with online back in the day?
All of Nintendo top brass were against it during the GC era. It's one of those things that Iwata resisted until they were completely behind the competition, famously saying that customers didn't want it, and that industry interest was falling off. Probably just comes down to Nintendo being a very financially conservative company and wanting to so things as cheaply as they can.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It was actually a Treehouse employee, I have no idea why a random tweet from someone who wasn't at the event is a threadmark but this tweet the author made almost 3 hours ago isn't

It's still "unconfirmed" but there was something eating away at me about the Direct that they never specifically mentioned that you could play online with friends. I mean, I was hoping it was such a basic feature that it should be a given but it's Nintendo, the same company that refuses to give Mario Party a real online mode (not that bullshit from SMP) despite fans asking for it around a decade now

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
IF true (and that's a really big IF imo) it's a dumb move. Also a very strange one. But Nintendo + online always seems to work in weird and unexpected ways, so who knows.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Woooww. This will be so dumb if true. Basically takes away the only reason to play online. Who would want to co-op Mario levels with randoms?

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
I'd be upset if I had friends.

In all seriousness though, I hope Nintendo gets their stuff together with their online features someday...

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, Friend Leaderboards are something I care about.

I'm not bothered if I can't take down Xx_HackedGamerScore69_xX from the top spot on the board.

But old university friend James? Oh, would love to know if I've crushed his best time and score.

(If score isn't hacked I do want to see how high I can get up, I actually held a 2nd Fastest Time in the world on Bowser Castle in Mario Kart Wii at one point).
Well that's cool, and they should stay, but still, there has to be a way to have both leaderboards AND online multiplayer!

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
So is this worth complaining about loudly on social media? I doubt they're likely to fix it before launch, but what the fuck is the point of my Switch family plan if I can't play with my friends and family?

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is this worth complaining about loudly on social media? I doubt they're likely to fix it before launch, but what the fuck is the point of my Switch family plan if I can't play with my friends and family?
Yes, we are know subscribers to their online-service, so they totally should listen or at least give a good explanation (even so i dought, that there is one).

People would at least be happy to create a room and play with friends alone. You can create rooms locally through WiFi ... So where is the problem here?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yes, we are know subscribers to their online-service, so they totally should listen or at least give a good explanation (even so i dought, that there is one).

People would at least be happy to create a room and play with friends alone. You can create rooms locally through WiFi ... So where is the problem here?

There's even an app for networking with friends that only works with the paid online service, so what's the point of paying for the subscription and downloading the app, if I can't use it on their flagship releases that feature online multiplayer with rando's?

Status
Not open for further replies.