• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Hang on, why was the title updated?

Because Polygon is reporting the complete opposite.
One element of Super Mario Maker 2 that deserves extra attention is the game's new four-player cooperative and competitive multiplayer options. While the original Super Mario Maker was a solitary, single-player-only game, it did foster its own sense of community. Players could share handmade courses with each other, challenging friends, family, and strangers with devilishly designed levels. That competition will be more direct in the sequel; players can team up or battle with friends, both locally and over the internet.

Therefore you've got one site saying one thing, and another saying another. So somebody is wrong here.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck you going to charge people to let them play games with their friends, then not let them play with their friends and/or make it a huge hassle to do so? Like, do they have a fucking idiot making these kinds of decisions? Just how?

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
No, that is not a sensible assumption. They spent time in the direct explicitly showing you could play together.... Across multiple switches with multiple copies of the game locally. They never even hinted at actually being able to play the stages you make on a single switch with multiple people, which would be as new a feature to the series as the coop on multiple consoles or the making stages together.
It was a sensible assumption, or rather one I made, even before the direct.
At the end of the reveal trailer they showed the art that would later be used on the box.
Look at the box arts:

425px-Super_Mario_Maker_-_Artwork_04.png

370px-SM_2_Box_Art_European.png

You honestly wouldn't assume that the sequel would feature the ability to play together?
On the SWITCH of all systems? That comes packed in with two controllers?
I wish we'd celebrated that fact here rather than on DIscord so I could quote myself.
The Direct did indeed confirm that you could build courses together which I took in addition to the fact that you could play together. Otherwise why use key art and shape the game's identity solely on the fact you can build course together (but not play them)...?
It's not sensible / logical, I'm sorry.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming it's true, does this mean they also only have Ranked for online multiplayer, no Casual option at all.

This seems too weird to be true, but it's Nintendo, so it makes it likely to be true as well.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if true. It's such a bad idea that yes, I could see Nintendo doing it

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a sensible assumption, or rather one I made, even before the direct.
At the end of the reveal trailer they showed the art that would later be used on the box.
Look at the box arts:

425px-Super_Mario_Maker_-_Artwork_04.png

370px-SM_2_Box_Art_European.png

You honestly wouldn't assume that the sequel would feature the ability to play together?
I wish we'd celebrated that fact here rather than on DIscord so I could quote myself.
The Direct did indeed confirm that you could build courses together which I took in addition to the fact that you could play together. Otherwise why use key art and shape the game's identity solely on the fact you can build course together (but not play them)...?
It's not sensible / logical, I'm sorry.

Almost everything Nintendo has done this gen regarding online multiplayer has been the opposite of sensible and logical.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im not sure why anyone is surprised. Splatoon 2 was awful for playing with friends too.

Nintendo has such bizarre online in 2019. It's like they haven't seen what the Ps4 + XOne can do
The thing is, with the WiiU they proofed that they can make a good service. It did have the typical Nintendo solutions, like Miiverse, but it worked for the most part. It even had a friend invite option, though that was hidden in the friendlist rather than placed in Miiverse where everything else took place. I don't get this company's doubt I ever will...

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
On the one hand I'd wait for official confirmation give polygon reported otherwise. But on the other hand, it is Nintendo.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bad feeling polygon just sorta automatically put that out without thinking because something so core and obvious to a game's multiplayer shouldn't have to be questioned or clarified.

Nintendo reps have been wrong before but there even being a specific reason with the leaderboard (as dumb as it may be) makes me not feel hopeful here.

I REALLY hope this is wrong as it's enough to get me from buying the game entirely.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao just brutal if this is true. Honestly I wasn't expecting local coop, that's the level of incompetence to expect so I expect this rumour is true.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
If this is true, man.

Its amazing that a company with such incredible and memorable IPs can be so many years behind in terms of creating and sustaining an online experience. They really need help with it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone care about leaderboards in 2019?

Funnily enough, Friend Leaderboards are something I care about.

I'm not bothered if I can't take down Xx_HackedGamerScore69_xX from the top spot on the board.

But old university friend James? Oh, would love to know if I've crushed his best time and score.

(If score isn't hacked I do want to see how high I can get up, I actually held a 2nd Fastest Time in the world on Bowser Castle in Mario Kart Wii at one point).

lucionm

Jan 10, 2018
Odd decision. But not technical.

Anyway, with the complaints I imagine they will include the option in an update.

It is not a technical challenge (having already been implemented in games of their own on other occasions)

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
That is flat out unacceptable for something they're positioning as a major online title in their catalogue. No other way to describe it and I hope the media actually nuts up for once and presses Nintendo on their bullshit online.
Idgaf about leaderboards. Let me play with friends. Smash has it's own horribly handled, ranked like mode but still let's you play with friends. So does Splatoon and Arms. No excuse for this. Zero

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
Just because they can add it later doesn't mean they will, and it doesn't mean it shouldn't be there in the first place. The first few months are incredibly important, why not just include it when the hype is high?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I'm a little confused why the threadmark is highlighting someone who hasn't played the game? That and the author of the article stated it was a Treehouse employee so it's not simply a "Nintendo rep"

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
There IS local co-op though.

Right, I should've phrased that better: my expectations were so low with Nintendo in that because they didn't outright announce local coop in the Direct, I assumed it wasn't coming. So I'm glad it's there, but again their track record with online multiplayer (and sometimes just plain multi) makes me think no friend play is a legit possibility.

Hope I'm wrong bc I would prefer to buy this game. Maybe they'll figure out messaging along the way.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Wait, to play local co-op, we have to each have our own Switch right? There is no local co-op on the same system?

KRBM

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Thanks???

It's not a gamebreaker to everyone but thanks for repeating your sympathy for it over and over.
Come on dude.

Thread: here's a bummer about SMM2
Everyone: nooo that sucks
Me: my sympathies to you guys
- What for?
Me: for the aforementioned bummer
- So that makes the game suck?
Me: no I'm just giving my sympathies for the bummer
You: It's not a gamebreaker to everyone but thanks for repeating your sympathy for it over and over.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Hello Nintendo,

If I can't play with my friends via cooperate and competitive both. If yes, then you lost my purchase.

Thanks,

IntelliHeath.

It's boring to play with random players which had no personal stakes in it.

Deleted member 52093

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2019
The best, though not necessarily great, scenario is if cooperative online multiplayer with friends is included, but not competitive multiplayer with friends.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
I'm on the fence for this title and online play was tipping me over onto the buy side. Online without friends puts me in the don't buy side pretty solidly. I assumed they'd fuck it up somehow so I won't be surprised at all if this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.