• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
But I can still dislike it. I can still call bullshit on it when the game has been advertised across all platforms and right before they slide across home-base, they change it up.
Exactly. One month before launch they just go "btw you can only get the complete Avengers experience on 1 out of 4 platforms kthxbye!".

And people here are way too invested in console wars to see the full picture. This game would've been awesome on PC! On Geforce Now! On Stadia! But now it's limping away in shame all over the place and people are just going on about Playstation and Xbox.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Yeah I was really confused by how huge this thread was because the last time I checked up on this game everyone was crapping on it over how it looked.

And I think that's the most ironic thing about this game, there's a very high likelihood that it's going to suck. Those who have played it said that the gameplay is boring and trite, the GaaS aspect means the game will be essentially unfinished at launch, and the Asylum Mockbuster-esque visual asthetic of trying to hybrid the comics and MCU has done the game no favors regarding hype. Sony may have the superior version of this game, but that might be the equivalent of having the shiniest, least-smelly turd.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly prefer timed content over timed games. By the time the game comes to my platform I don't bother most of the time but I would still buy a game if the other console has some kind of a exclusive content.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
And I think that's the most ironic thing about this game, there's a very high likelihood that it's going to suck. Those who have played it said that the gameplay is boring and trite, the GaaS aspect means the game will be essentially unfinished at launch, and the Asylum Mockbuster-esque visual asthetic of trying to hybrid the comics and MCU has done the game no favors regarding hype. Sony may have the superior version of this game, but that might be the equivalent of having the shiniest, least-smelly turd.
Most GaaS games launch not being that great tbf, its supposed to be updated for years. Not like I was gonna play it unless it ended up on gamepass or whatever.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who works with different IP from time to time I get where Sony is coming from. I get that they want people to associate Playstation with Spiderman and vice versa. It's not Anti-Consumer, it's not Pro-Consumer. It's their right to do so as they own parts to the Spiderman IP. It is however still a fucking dick move.

Square should accomodate that by lowering the price of the other two versions imo.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who works with different IP from time to time I get where Sony is coming from. I get that they want people to associate Playstation with Spiderman and vice versa. It's not Anti-Consumer, it's not Pro-Consumer. It's their right to do so as they own parts to the Spiderman IP. It is however still a fucking dick move.

Square should accomodate that by lowering the price of the other two versions imo.

I read somewhere in this thread that it will release later down the road, by that time every version will be at 30 bucks max. So why would they lower it? Srsly stuff like ffviir, tomb raider and all the other timed exclusive games from Sony and Ms are alot worse than exclusive content.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I kinda would like to see all the people being totally fine with this, when Deadpool or the mutants will be announced as Xbox exclusives.

How you guys can not see how this is absolutely anti-consumer and overall a shitty behavior, not adding stuff but taking stuff away, is absolutely incredible. It's not a random bonus character, it's the literal biggest thing Marvel has to offer, which is being locked to one console, because the console owner says so. While buyers of every other version can pay the same price for less.
It sucks.
It's not taking anything away, you don't even get Spider-Man in the base game since he's DLC.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
It's not taking anything away, you don't even get Spider-Man in the base game since he's DLC.

Considering how long they have hinted at PS exclusive things how can we sure he wasn't meant to be in the base game. As people have pointed out in this thread we don't know the details of it but the fact stuff has been hinted at since its reveal it seems a fair assumption to think Spiderman was long planned.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I read somewhere in this thread that it will release later down the road, by that time every version will be at 30 bucks max. So why would they lower it? Srsly stuff like ffviir, tomb raider and all the other timed exclusive games from Sony and Ms are alot worse than exclusive content.
If that is indeed the case than that is fine tbh. Timed exclusivity is still not good, but at least the other versions get the stuff down the line.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Considering how long they have hinted at PS exclusive things how can we sure he wasn't meant to be in the base game. As people have pointed out in this thread we don't know the details of it but the fact stuff has been hinted at since its reveal it seems a fair assumption to think Spiderman was long planned.
I don't know, but what I do know is that I'm not interested in discussing conspiracy theories. I already had enough of that yesterday with the "Sony owns 100% of Spider-Man" brigade.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This, while talking about Marvels no.1 superhero, who factually is connected to Sony Entertainment, in a forum priding itself about being against anti-consumer tactics, shitting on the EGS on a regular basis for buying exclusives, is the most insincere and dishonest line of arguing I've ever seen. Them simply announcing Spider-Man before the game is even close to launching is making it part of the package, DLC or not. The option to buy him is part of the base game. Other players won't even have the option. And this is their marketing - not "hey, you can get Spidey", but "look, others can NOT get Spidey".

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

It's still content, though. Free content made available months after launch, but content nevertheless.

We're in a world where kids bully each other over goddamn Fortnite skins, a full-fledged character in a hero-based looter brawler was obviously going to ruffle feathers. It's being exaggerated because it's Spider-Man but any character would've had some kind of backlash. FOMO is a helluva drug.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm surprised how many people are defending.

It's just a dlc character and not the end of the world and all that...

But it's just shitty. It's absolutely the opposite of what I wanna see games doing in the future.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
You should definitely look outside of Era when it comes to impressions about this game.

Zen_Mu

Dec 7, 2017
Can people also please stop asking like Sony owns Spider-Man? They don't, they have the license with Insomniac and to make movies (and potentially ruin said movies)

Show me concrete evidence that Sony does not have any stake in the Spiderman character outside of the movie rights. Please, because it's something I'm actually interested in. I've seen both Sony and Marvel execs skirt around the topic when asked, but never truly answer the question. This is the only person who worked for either company I've ever heard talk about anything having to do with this deal, and she's told the same story multiple times. She just told it again yesterday while talking about this game deal.

EDIT: Removed the video as I've been informed that it was from a banned source.

Now is her story true? No idea. It's something though. So if you can show me actual proof like a Marvel or Disney exec or employee explaining the deal, I'd love to see it. Otherwise your (and many others in the thread) statement that "Sony only holds the movie rights!" statement is just as worthless & empty as the people saying "Sony owns Spiderman!".

In terms of the game deal specifically, I would imagine that falls under merchandising which Marvel/Disney has 100% of the rights to. So I'm sure Sony had to pay for this. But then again who knows, I have zero proof of that hypothesis. Just like nobody outside of Sony & Disney/Marvel has any real idea of what the deal with Spiderman is.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda would like to see all the people being totally fine with this, when Deadpool or the mutants will be announced as Xbox exclusives.

How you guys can not see how this is absolutely anti-consumer and overall a shitty behavior, not adding stuff but taking stuff away, is absolutely incredible. It's not a random bonus character, it's the literal biggest thing Marvel has to offer, which is being locked to one console, because the console owner says so. While buyers of every other version can pay the same price for less.
It sucks.
I wouldn't care, and that's even if he's not coming to PC which is where I'm playing. I liked Deadpool in Marvel Heroes but I could get a similar play style from Blade for example (hard to kill, regenerate health, guns/blade gameplay). Sure he's funny, and Pirate Deadpool is amazing, but eh. It's probably best to compare Avengers to Warframe with how many characters this game will probably have (Marvel Heroes launched with about 21 and finished with about 63). Even in Warframe you get similar abilities that are shared with different frames with a tiny difference like the element of the damage, or the cooldown and strength of the debuff inflicted on enemies.

Right now, the game isn't out but you can already see how Spider-Man would share properties with other characters in a 7 character pool (including Hawkeye, and Spider-Man). Kamala and Black Widow swing like Spider-Man for their mobility. I bet even Hawkeye has a grapple, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Spider-Man probably have a basic ranged shooting (arrows, bullets, web). Spider get a bit of slow or bind, Widow probably get up close for stun, and Hawkeye likely have ranged shock and other trick arrows including explosive.

As more and more characters are added, I can see it being very easy to not care if a class, one single class is exclusive. I play these type of games, I love leveling up many classes to see which one I like, maybe that's why I'm not so attached to a single character. Marvel Heroes made me interested in the comics though so maybe I do like the characters, but not like I need to play them all. I'm not one of the people that got interested in talking about this game because of yesterday. I'm looking forward to the PS4 beta so I can see more footage of people playing to see if I should not buy it or go ahead and pre-order to jump in for next week, maybe even wait longer to play it on open beta.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
If he was planned to be in the main game (he's not a core Avengers member in the comics) they wouldn't make a deal that messes up their story plans just to have 2 of 5 or more platforms (wait does Xbox count as one platform) have an incomplete story, or totally change their plans for the whole reason they picked making a game called Avengers and not something like Secret Wars, or Marvel Heroes 2.

Hopefully picking Avengers doesn't limit them, and they are able to do a X-Men vs Avengers, and Secret Wars type of expansion or title update if it's very popular.

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
It's because of game pass that you'll see more of these types of deals. For big budget games, game pass devalues the product and hurts profitability. Sony then can come in and pay money for them to continue to sell the game the way they want without having to compete with game pass.
Here we go 🤦🏾‍♂️. Of course, Microsoft is the real reason that Sony are making these deals. 🙄

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show me concrete evidence that Sony does not have any stake in the Spiderman character outside of the movie rights. Please, because it's something I'm actually interested in. I've seen both Sony and Marvel execs skirt around the topic when asked, but never truly answer the question. This is the only person who worked for either company I've ever heard talk about anything having to do with this deal, and she's told the same story multiple times. She just told it again yesterday while talking about this game deal.

mod edit: content removed

Now is her story true? No idea. It's something though. So if you can show me actual proof like a Marvel or Disney exec or employee explaining the deal, I'd love to see it. Otherwise your (and many others in the thread) statement that "Sony only holds the movie rights!" statement is just as worthless & empty as the people saying "Sony owns Spiderman!".

In terms of the game deal specifically, I would imagine that falls under merchandising which Marvel/Disney has 100% of the rights to. So I'm sure they had to pay for this. But then again who knows, I have zero proof of that hypothesis. Just like nobody outside of Sony & Disney/Marvel has any real idea of what the deal with Spiderman is.
I don't think anyone outside of Disney and Sony knows the exact details of the deal. They don't need to tell us either. So unless someone can produce evidence of the exact details of the agreement between both companies, no one say can anything definitive outside the movies rights and a couple of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
blog.playstation.com

Work together in style with Community Challenges and cosmetics for Marvel’s Avengers

Get ready to team up around the world just like the Avengers.

"We previously stated that we're huge Marvel fans, but we're also PlayStation fans. We are honored to be working with them to provide additional advantages to PlayStation players. PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them."

Let's gooo

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
So much outrage over Niche-man. Playstation brand is making business decisions to make sure their fanbase buys "their" brand. These companies all want your money and will do everything to do so.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
blog.playstation.com

Work together in style with Community Challenges and cosmetics for Marvel’s Avengers

Get ready to team up around the world just like the Avengers.

"We previously stated that we're huge Marvel fans, but we're also PlayStation fans. We are honored to be working with them to provide additional advantages to PlayStation players. PlayStation players will have exclusive access to certain Community Challenges, where the PlayStation Nation will work together to accomplish a goal in order to gain rewards specific to them."

Let's gooo
This reminds me of the weekly Dragon Age Multiplayer challenges. PS4 had a massive userbase so their challenges were usually double the requirement of the PC and Xbox challenges, and they still crushed them every time. The rewards are likely going to be loot, currency, and materials to upgrade gear.

For Honor have this where factions are pitted against each other.

I wonder if beta progress is saved and there will be no wipes before launch.

Wow at those other bonuses. I wonder if the costume and emotes early access are for paid costumes and emotes, if so that's meh. Sucks for people that buy that kind of stuff I guess.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

mod edit: content removed

In terms of the game deal specifically, I would imagine that falls under merchandising which Marvel/Disney has 100% of the rights to. So I'm sure they had to pay for this. But then again who knows, I have zero proof of that hypothesis. Just like nobody outside of Sony & Disney/Marvel has any real idea of what the deal with Spiderman is.

Can we please, for the love of God, stop citing Grace Randolph in this thread.

She knows nothing. She hasn't been in a position to know anything since she became a Youtuber. Her whole grift is swinging around "former Marvel Comics writer" to present herself as a subject-matter expert when she actually knows nothing. And it ain't a coincidence that most of her shit revolves around shitting on Marvel.

I apologize for the aggressive tone but Randolph has been an known joke for years and it's embarrassing watching people ITT attempt to legitimize her.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please, for the love of God, stop citing Grace Randolph in this thread.

She knows nothing. She hasn't been in a position to know anything since she became a Youtuber. Her whole grift is swinging around "former Marvel Comics writer" to present herself as a subject-matter expert when she actually knows nothing. And it ain't a coincidence that most of her shit revolves around shitting on Marvel.

I apologize for the aggressive tone but Randolph has been an known joke for years and it's embarrassing watching people ITT attempt to legitimize her.

While you may be right, does anybody in this thread speaking with any sort of authority know anything either?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I expect the rights to Spider-Man are more complicated than a lot of people are letting on. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sony made an exclusive Spider-Man game right after Spider-Man showed up in the Disney movies.