• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Never said they owned the rights. I said there could be deals in place. There's a huge difference.
pretty much. they have a deal with marvel's gaming division regarding spider-man.

and there was this "fallout" last year, where sony pulled spidey out of the mcu. a few months later, an extensive deal was made to bring him back. i would not be surprised if sony demanded that he would be exclusive to all future games (or as long as that marvel gaming deal is up).

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
How did people get under the assumption that Sony owns Spiderman this whole time but decided to not make a single game with the license until 2018 are you for real people.

Activision was publishing Spiderman games on PS4 and Xbox, also Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 which came out after Spiderman on PS4 has spiderman in it.

Free on PS4 unavailable everywhere else.

AFIK Spider-Man gaming related rights belong to Sony now, and Disney has the merchandise rights.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Wait, this is Square Enix, right? I'm awaiting patiently for all the articles and media backlash regarding this money hat then. I mean, it's only fair, right?

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Judging by how many people think sony owns spider-man in this thread the deal makes even more sense than it did already.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
deal-with-it.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what Square and Crystal Dynamics are doing with these kinds of moves. They make no sense and are only going to cost them sales. This is going to cause me to have such a sour taste in my mouth while I play Marvel's The Avengers.

Yup, I get why Sony would do it, I don't understand why Square and Crystal Dynamics would.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
We need a PSA in the thread title or something that Sony does NOT own Spider-man.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
lolol. What is this post.
People will pick Spider-Man.

Probably. But it's choices like this which are f'n awful for the consumer/customer.

Like having a new extended version of Dragon Quest 11 exclusively made for the worst platform in the market.

(Only to now finally announce a port to the other systems..... Which will still be based on the Switch version... 🙄)

It's f'n dumb.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
This is literally "If we can't have him, no one will!" which is a little bit overboard. Who cares if Spidey is exclusive? It's not like he's a paid DLC character either.
Who cares? Idk maybe all the people that were planning on buying the game for Xbox??? What does being paid dlc have to do with anything???? Bottom of the line is that Xbox players got screwed out of an entire character and Yes, for a multiplat game, it would be better if Spider-Man wasn't in the game in the first place rather than locked on one system

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Ps5 version it is then.

Hopefully they change the saturation of the game so we dont miss reshade too much.

I wonder if it will be miles or Peter.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
They actually did it, lmao.

Spider-Man is for the people, this move ain't for the people.

Spider-Man please 😭

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for CD, their games keep being hit by some of the dumbest exclusivity deals I've ever seen.

Even if you own a PS4 I think this sucks because it means Spider-Man can't be a major player in the story.
This has Square stink all over it. I'll be surprised if they havent already offered CD dev's first borns to Sony.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Sony being able to pull stuff like this is due to the allowing Spidey in MCU. So Marvel allows this type of thing.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
While I don't care one way or another if Spiderman is exclusive or not, his presence in the game at all pretty much cements my purchase of the game since I'm a bigger fan of his than the other announced Avengers. I won't pick it up until the PS5 comes out, though.
Today has been really weird for Sony.
I guess that's what happens when their official announcements don't fly in on a random Tuesday.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I have no idea what Square and Crystal Dynamics are doing with these kinds of moves. They make no sense and are only going to cost them sales. This is going to cause me to have such a sour taste in my mouth while I play Marvel's The Avengers.

This makes me doubt my purchase intention because no matter which version I buy, I have to worry that someone is making a deal to keep some future character away from me. That's absolutely the last thing I fucking wanted with an AVENGERS game where EVERYONE is suppose to show up.

3 years into this game are there gonna be a few heroes that are just completely out a reach to almost the entire audience because they don't own multiple versions?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Well there's goes my chance of wanting to buy it. Listen I was already on the fence, I don't own a ps4/5 so what's the point..
So not getting a character that wasn't even rumored to be in the game up until a couple days ago is what takes you out? lol That thinking doesn't make sense to me but to each its own.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking terrible for the consumer but really smart from Sony. I would never buy a version without Spider Man.
I mean it's terrible for the kid, but this was a really smart move of that guy to buy up all the chocolate, I mean who wouldn't want to have all the chocolate to himself...

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I was planning on picking up a PS5 sometime next year anyway, but I really wanted to play this on my new PC.
This shit is so fucked for such a significant and popular character to be platform-exclusive in a multi-platform game

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah exclusivity sucks. I won't be buying this game anymore at full price anymore and wait for a sale.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
All the PS5 marketing is going to focus on Spider-Man. He's the Master Chief of the PS5 launch. I don't really agree with it, but I understand why they would want to make this deal.

Of course, it's a shame for people planning to purchase this on other systems.