• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
From Sega of America's Sam Mullen:

ECpxf5cU4AE-fej

Top Japan, Bottom western.

Umm, woah. Another for the gaming secrets thread? O_o

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has been known since literally the 80's

The western SEGA logo is specifically Cobalt. Sonic is the same color. In the prereleased versions of Sonic 1, Sonic was sky blue, to match the JPN Sega logo.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017

The western SEGA logo is specifically Cobalt. Sonic is the same color. In the prereleased versions of Sonic 1, Sonic was sky blue, to match the JPN Sega logo.

One after the other. O_o I knew Sonic was meant to be the same/similar color to the Sega logo, but not THIS specific! O_o

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017

I didn't know this so it's news to me. Really interesting discovery that I'm curious to understand why.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

What about in Sonic Generations? I always felt like the shade of blue for Classic Sonic in that game looked a little off but maybe I'm wrong.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
i've observed the color fluctuations but didn't realize it was down the line region based.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
What about in Sonic Generations? I always felt like the shade of blue for Classic Sonic in that game looked a little off but maybe I'm wrong.
I'm looking at the cover as well as images of Sonic Generations and it seems like Classic Sonic's blue is closer to the Japanese logo than the Western one. I'm not at my desktop at the moment, so I can't post images show this.

Oct 27, 2017
Guys did you know that the Dreamcast logo is in fact a different colour between Japan version and European ?
7Y0D9AT.png

vkyVhtL.png

Use GIMP or Photoshop to compare if you don't believe me.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Japanese is the original. In 'merica they thought the baby blue shade was too kiddy so they changed it to a more adult, more edgy cobalt blue. It's like the happy vs angry Kirby thing.

Komii

Oct 26, 2017
Provably due to print differences, japan's got some fancier options for print colors and you gotta mix them again to reproduce them overseas, if the first sega announces came with a fucked up color and they didn't want people to notice they probably kept it that way so it wouldn't suddenly change from print to print ¯\_(ツ)_/¯