• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Okay for real though what's with the blind defense of one of the biggest, most lucrative brands in entertainment? Why is a slightly snarky sarcastic hashtag warning worthy when we get off topic "fuck Ubisoft" type posts in threads about Assassin's Creed, or people cheering when Ubi stock craters after some unsuccessful games without a warning in sight? Are we really at the point where some companies are simply beyond reproach because reasons? I just can't rectify the tone policing that is taking place in Pokemon threads with the routine harshness that is tolerated and often fostered/encouraged in threads about other companies.

Speaking objectively, they have cut an absolute shitton of content. They are releasing a barebones title with terrible textures, pop in, animations that would still have been unimpressive two decades ago, horrible frame rates, and loads of cut content compared to prior entries for 50% more money. Any other company would get savaged for this behavior, and rightfully so. A sarcastic hashtag is the tamest fucking thing, and absolutely within the boundaries of what they deserve for the utter shit show that this gen is shaping up to be.
There's some kind of cognitive dissonance happening here, because when you can make blanket statements like "buying Diablo means you don't care about human rights, fuck Blizzard" or call people shills for mentioning that the MTX in Assassin's Creed Odyssey aren't all that bad without warnings but you 100% will get warned for saying #thankyougamefreak... What's up? Is gamefreak not part of a coalition of very rich companies working on a huge entertainment brand with the goal of extracting money from consumers? They didn't suddenly become a huge charitable organization that donates all of those profits to a worthy cause like cancer research or what have you, did they? Why should they be shielded from the same acerbic tone this forum takes with every other capitalist company that pulls some bullshit.

Fuck Konami, fuck Ubisoft, fuck EA, fuck Blizzard, fuck Capcom, but most certainly never EVER criticise GameFreak. Good people are behind making these games and these games only, and we wouldn't want to contribute to any toxicity surrounding this completely unearned, mistakenly maligned game that has no flaws.
Sums it up perfectly.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I got my living Dex in the ORAS timeframe. Seem like this was the apogee of Pokemon unfortunately. At this point I think Nintendo should just buy out Gamefreak's share from the Pokemon company and farm out the work to different studios. A studio to develop the "what", rosters, new pokemons, the meta side of the competition. Hand-out overall desired story arcs to other studio that can do the world, characters and pokemon animations, with PCMi owning the art and animations after each released game. Ubisoft could be a good start.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The GTS allows you to put a Pokemon up for trade, say exactly what type of Pokemon you'd like in return, and leave it there while you go do something else/turn the game off/whatever. Then, once you open the GTS back up, if someone traded you the trade would happen.

I hope this makes sense lol. It was a good way to get specific Pokemon.

aaaaah that does sound very nifty. Unfortunate to hear about this then.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget they made Pokémon Let's Go, an HD switch game. And they had longer than anyone else to get ready. Arguably, they have more money than any other dev their size to put towards this and still they flubbed it
Money and development size don't matter. There were AAA games, which developers much bigger in scale, which still had a lot of bugs, problems, missing content and more. Pokémon Sword/Shield problems come from mismanagement. No money or other ressourses in the world would have helped in this case.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see we're at the "stop complaining because you're just going to buy it anyway" stage again as if another rushed pokemon game is a boon that we couldn't live without.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Okay for real though what's with the blind defense of one of the biggest, most lucrative brands in entertainment? Why is a slightly snarky sarcastic hashtag warning worthy when we get off topic "fuck Ubisoft" type posts in threads about Assassin's Creed, or people cheering when Ubi stock craters after some unsuccessful games without a warning in sight? Are we really at the point where some companies are simply beyond reproach because reasons? I just can't rectify the tone policing that is taking place in Pokemon threads with the routine harshness that is tolerated and often fostered/encouraged in threads about other companies.

See the problem is that when a Ubisoft game comes out and the cutscenes show us characters without teeth, that's the most interesting part of the game right there. I kind of love these weird technical gaffes that happen, and I do enjoy it when video games have no pretense against the fact that they are video games (fuck this inane notion of 'immersion' as anything but basic suspension of disbelief)

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
See the problem is that when a Ubisoft game comes out and the cutscenes show us characters without teeth, that's the most interesting part of the game right there. I kind of love these weird technical gaffes that happen, and I do enjoy it when video games have no pretense against the fact that they are video games (fuck this inane notion of 'immersion' as anything but basic suspension of disbelief)
Is this a copy pasta?

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Money and development size don't matter. There were AAA games, which developers much bigger in scale, which still had a lot of bugs, problems, missing content and more. Pokémon Sword/Shield problems come from mismanagement. No money or other ressourses in the world would have helped in this case.

I don't necessarily disagree but I categorize their extreme conservatism and small dev team size as especially egregious forms of mismanagement in this case

Queen__ofhyrule

Alt-account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019

Speaking objectively, they have cut an absolute shitton of content. They are releasing a barebones title with terrible textures, pop in, animations that would still have been unimpressive two decades ago, horrible frame rates, and loads of cut content compared to prior entries for 50% more money. Any other company would get savaged for this behavior, and rightfully so. A sarcastic hashtag is the tamest fucking thing, and absolutely within the boundaries of what they deserve for the utter shit show that this gen is shaping up to be.
There's some kind of cognitive dissonance happening here, because when you can make blanket statements like "buying Diablo means you don't care about human rights, fuck Blizzard" or call people shills for mentioning that the MTX in Assassin's Creed Odyssey aren't all that bad without warnings but you 100% will get warned for saying #thankyougamefreak... What's up? Is gamefreak not part of a coalition of very rich companies working on a huge entertainment brand with the goal of extracting money from consumers? They didn't suddenly become a huge charitable organization that donates all of those profits to a worthy cause like cancer research or what have you, did they? Why should they be shielded from the same acerbic tone this forum takes with every other capitalist company that pulls some bullshit.

Fuck Konami, fuck Ubisoft, fuck EA, fuck Blizzard, fuck Capcom, but most certainly never EVER criticise GameFreak. Good people are behind making these games and these games only, and we wouldn't want to contribute to any toxicity surrounding this completely unearned, mistakenly maligned game that has no flaws.

Cause the mods have a hard on for GameFreak. Bet it took that mod all their strength not to ban those posters in the first page. What a joke

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
WHOA TMS ARE SINGLE USE AGAIN?!

OK so looking into this -- the TMs in question are single use, but you can at least in theory get an unlimited number of them by purchasing them through the stuff you get from those gigantamax raid things, then? That's not ideal, but as long as single-use TMs aren't also "you get exactly one of these and tough titty if you want a second one" I can live with that. It's not significantly worse than having to fucking grind for battle points...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

You bring up some good points.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
OK so looking into this -- the TMs in question are single use, but you can at least in theory get an unlimited number of them by purchasing them through the stuff you get from those gigantamax raid things, then? That's not ideal, but as long as single-use TMs aren't also "you get exactly one of these and tough titty if you want a second one" I can live with that. It's not significantly worse than having to fucking grind for battle points...
You're still doing a fuckton of grinding

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Wait, what?

f4d.gif
It's funny I'm on my phone and know that the npc on the left was female cause pigeon toes. zooming in just confirms it. Lol

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree but I categorize their extreme conservatism and small dev team size as especially egregious forms of mismanagement in this case
They are conservative with the game, since they didn't had any room for experiments. Better remove options or just use known one, before creating features, which could create delays. The biggest problem with the games (from an outsider perceptive) is the short developments times, since management wants a new Pokemon game every year. This is the time, it may backfire hard, since the shortcomings on the Switch are harder to hide.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

this x 💯

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
You're still doing a fuckton of grinding
I've already said this, but: if TRs can be taught via egg move in the day-care, you might only need one copy to teach it to whichever Pokémon you want via chain. In some cases, it might just be quicker to get them via raids, but there are more options, and it seems some TRs have 100% drop rates.

Do we know what the costs of the TRs are vs. what the rewards for raids are? Not saying you're wrong but it sounds like this is the only thing that the game has a meaningful grind for with respect to online battling viability from what I've been seeing.
Not 100% sure about this info (just reading about it myself), but: the most expensive ones are 8000. The first raid of the day gives you 2000 watts, then 200 for every raid after that.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Haha off topic but I thought I would hate that going in (because albw felt so smooth) but it actually felt kind of nice to me? Idk

Lol it did feel like stop-motion so it wasn't super jarring or out-of-place, but I hope the Oracle remakes have Link Between Worlds's movement system.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know what the costs of the TRs are vs. what the rewards for raids are? Not saying you're wrong but it sounds like this is the only thing that the game has a meaningful grind for with respect to online battling viability from what I've been seeing.
If I read correctly, 2000 per first raid per day, 200 for subsequent raids, and TMs run in the thousands? So multiple raids per TM, with potentially HUGE numbers of raidsif you want the TMs you need without grinding dailies for weeks? Maybe I misunderstood though.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
They are conservative with the game, since they didn't had any room for experiments. Better remove options or just use known one, before creating features, which could create delays. The biggest problem with the games (from an outsider perceptive) is the short developments times, since management wants a new Pokemon game every year. This is the time, it may backfire hard, since the shortcomings on the Switch are harder to hide.

Except they did have Pokémon Let's Go to "experiment" with HD Development. And we were all assured that this game was not the MAINLINE game we were all waiting for that would supposedly be full featured. But now PLG arguably looks better and SWSH has no online features that PLG didn't also have besides the online raids and whatnot.