• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like those #ThankYou hashtags in general but this is the first one aimed at a company and it's bizarre, #ThanYouPokemon would have been fine

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Wait, what?

f4d.gif

KiNolin

Oct 28, 2017
Okay for real though what's with the blind defense of one of the biggest, most lucrative brands in entertainment? Why is a slightly snarky sarcastic hashtag warning worthy when we get off topic "fuck Ubisoft" type posts in threads about Assassin's Creed, or people cheering when Ubi stock craters after some unsuccessful games without a warning in sight? Are we really at the point where some companies are simply beyond reproach because reasons? I just can't rectify the tone policing that is taking place in Pokemon threads with the routine harshness that is tolerated and often fostered/encouraged in threads about other companies.

Speaking objectively, they have cut an absolute shitton of content. They are releasing a barebones title with terrible textures, pop in, animations that would still have been unimpressive two decades ago, horrible frame rates, and loads of cut content compared to prior entries for 50% more money. Any other company would get savaged for this behavior, and rightfully so. A sarcastic hashtag is the tamest fucking thing, and absolutely within the boundaries of what they deserve for the utter shit show that this gen is shaping up to be.
There's some kind of cognitive dissonance happening here, because when you can make blanket statements like "buying Diablo means you don't care about human rights, fuck Blizzard" or call people shills for mentioning that the MTX in Assassin's Creed Odyssey aren't all that bad without warnings but you 100% will get warned for saying #thankyougamefreak... What's up? Is gamefreak not part of a coalition of very rich companies working on a huge entertainment brand with the goal of extracting money from consumers? They didn't suddenly become a huge charitable organization that donates all of those profits to a worthy cause like cancer research or what have you, did they? Why should they be shielded from the same acerbic tone this forum takes with every other capitalist company that pulls some bullshit.

Fuck Konami, fuck Ubisoft, fuck EA, fuck Blizzard, fuck Capcom, but most certainly never EVER criticise GameFreak. Good people are behind making these games and these games only, and we wouldn't want to contribute to any toxicity surrounding this completely unearned, mistakenly maligned game that has no flaws.

That's different. EA bad Nintendo gud. Haven't you paid attention in your videogame religion class?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
There's been a new Pokémon thread damn near every other day, with both sides of the fanbase screaming at each other like a bunch of children. It doesn't matter what thread I say I'm excited for the games in, there's always gonna be someone calling me a bootlicker lol. This is why I don't interact with Pokémon fans outside of my small group of friends. It's just a cesspool of negativity no matter where you go, especially on Era.

lol

why post on a pokemon thread then?

go seek attention somewhere else.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Hope you enjoy it, I honestly do. If you had said your post in any other pokemon I wouldn't have cared, but specifically came into this thread and intentional or no it read as trolling to me and obviously a few others.

Then you had to go and snipe at my personal character and that pisses me off more then anything else. I never called you a bootlicker, I never called you a fanboy, I just don't think that was necessary.

Once more I truly hope you enjoy the game more then I can.

It's the fault of era moderation for letting that behavior run rampant. Saw the same shit in the Jim Sterling thread about blizzard and Hong Kong, saw it in THQ topics and Kingdom Come Deliverance topics. Perhaps if there was some consistent moderation for situations where goofballs come into particularly sensitive topics to announce their intent of purchase with the sole intent of riling up others, we'd see it less.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's different. EA bad Nintendo gud. Haven't you paid attention in your videogame religion class?
This is not even Nintendo,even a #ThankYouNintendo hashtag would had more credit. I feel like people are just too attached to Pokémon and Nintendo bc childhood company so they act more emotional than rational when they are discussed, same with Disney.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood this expression. What does it mean to describe something other than Dark Souls as Dark Souls? I've understood it to be an insult but I don't understand how. What is the implication?
It's a joke about the ladder climbing animation reminding me of Dark Souls. I didn't even notice the time stop.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I saw some people mention the GTS in the review thread and was like "Nah, surely they wouldn't actually get rid of the GTS" but wow. This is the first cut feature from this game that really hurts me. I'll at least have friends to trade with but I think most of us are getting Sword.

If there's not some kind of equivalent in the game then that's really bad. I can't imagine why they would take out such a universally loved feature, unless they're planning to put it in Home, in which case that's honestly even worse unless Home is free

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol at "Nintendo gud". Some of you don't even try.
I don't agree how that user express it but is true. People have always treated Nintendo like this sacred family friendly company that can't do bad and ignore things like Sakurai working with an IV, Tomodachi Life treating same sex relationships as a glitch, etc.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I saw some people mention the GTS in the review thread and was like "Nah, surely they wouldn't actually get rid of the GTS" but wow. This is the first cut feature from this game that really hurts me. I'll at least have friends to trade with but I think most of us are getting Sword.

If there's not some kind of equivalent in the game then that's really bad. I can't imagine why they would take out such a universally loved feature, unless they're planning to put it in Home, in which case that's honestly even worse unless Home is free

The removal of GTS is almost as big as the cut Dex for me. It's just game breaking. Trade, a core feature of these games, just became that much harder.

And for what? What was the reason? I'm still in disbelief.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I think one key difference for some is that EA at large is both more anonymous and harder to reach compared to GF. It's easier to separate GF, the developer, into its individual constituents, compared to EA, the publisher. If people were saying 'fuck EA DICE specifically', for example, it would be easier to interpret it as a personal attack toward the specific people who work at that specific team.

Nevertheless, I agree with your overall point.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People want to put Nintendo's name to the decisions Game Freak makes in development. They only have so much power.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The removal of GTS is almost as big as the cut Dex for me. It's just game breaking. Trade, a core feature of these games, just became that much harder.

And for what? What was the reason? I'm still in disbelief.

The reason is so sell a subscription service but hey don't be mad. Just pay and please think of the poor greedy developer.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Okay for real though what's with the blind defense of one of the biggest, most lucrative brands in entertainment? Why is a slightly snarky sarcastic hashtag warning worthy when we get off topic "fuck Ubisoft" type posts in threads about Assassin's Creed, or people cheering when Ubi stock craters after some unsuccessful games without a warning in sight? Are we really at the point where some companies are simply beyond reproach because reasons? I just can't rectify the tone policing that is taking place in Pokemon threads with the routine harshness that is tolerated and often fostered/encouraged in threads about other companies.

Speaking objectively, they have cut an absolute shitton of content. They are releasing a barebones title with terrible textures, pop in, animations that would still have been unimpressive two decades ago, horrible frame rates, and loads of cut content compared to prior entries for 50% more money. Any other company would get savaged for this behavior, and rightfully so. A sarcastic hashtag is the tamest fucking thing, and absolutely within the boundaries of what they deserve for the utter shit show that this gen is shaping up to be.
There's some kind of cognitive dissonance happening here, because when you can make blanket statements like "buying Diablo means you don't care about human rights, fuck Blizzard" or call people shills for mentioning that the MTX in Assassin's Creed Odyssey aren't all that bad without warnings but you 100% will get warned for saying #thankyougamefreak... What's up? Is gamefreak not part of a coalition of very rich companies working on a huge entertainment brand with the goal of extracting money from consumers? They didn't suddenly become a huge charitable organization that donates all of those profits to a worthy cause like cancer research or what have you, did they? Why should they be shielded from the same acerbic tone this forum takes with every other capitalist company that pulls some bullshit.

Fuck Konami, fuck Ubisoft, fuck EA, fuck Blizzard, fuck Capcom, but most certainly never EVER criticise GameFreak. Good people are behind making these games and these games only, and we wouldn't want to contribute to any toxicity surrounding this completely unearned, mistakenly maligned game that has no flaws.
I'm a defender of Gamefreak and Pokemon and Nintendo and stuff, but this post is spot on.

In terms of forum discussion the double standard here is clear. If people can say the things they want to about other game devs, Gamefreak should be free game as well. As much as I think a lot of the pokemon controversies are overblown (I agree objectively that taking away features is plain stupidity but that's a different topic for a different thread), there are so many examples of "Fuck _______" on this forum that I believe that there would need to be clarity on the topic.

While I think every single pokemon thread getting shitted up sucks (I've experienced it with games like Xenoblade 2 and others where you just want to talk about the game and stuff you like without getting bombarded with the same 3 debates from every other thread) this kind of double standard can't exist for a level playing field of discussion.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It is hilarious how we can have people literally saying "fuck Capcom" in random threads for not porting games to Switch and yet a sarcastic "#ThankYouGamefreak" merits a warning.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, that's more just a stock phrase because people kept comparing different games to Dark Souls.
Well if you mean in this case the animation literally looks like Dark Souls, I see it. But I've never understood it in any other case when people described another game facetiously as the "Dark Souls of."

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How dare they criticize GameFreak mismanagement right? It's not like fans are paying money for this or anything right?
If fans are that displeased they can always just... Not buy the game? :P
Also, criticism is fine. Hijacking a hashtag intended to pay respect to devs, who are currently on the receiving end of fan death threats, is not fine.

Deleted member 60992

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
The reason is so sell a subscription service but hey don't be mad. Just pay and please think of the poor greedy developer.

I'm hoping it covered in the Nintendo Sub. 60$ game 35$ family plan (for me) 20$ for others yearly and not a Home sun at $$$(?) yearly to use a form of GTS feature that was ripped out of the main games.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They're not wrong. If an EA game took out a fature like the GTS for seemingly no reason there would rightfully be a big backlash. And if said feature was then included in a paid subscription *whistles*.

I'm pretty sure this is the Legend of Belda argument. I dunno what the Pokemon equivalent would be to name it though.

I am still amazed that $50 Mew got a buy though last year. You'd think more people would have raised a voice about that.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
It is hilarious how we can have people literally saying "fuck Capcom" in random threads for not porting games to Switch and yet "#ThankYouGamefreak" merits a warning.
I wouldn't necessarily say Fuck GameFreak as not every issue is there fault but it's weird how hypocritical warnings are done with GameFreak versus other devs.